Search for content in message boards

Rbt Hicks of Granville CO NC b)1713?-- he was baptised in 1713

Rbt Hicks of Granville CO NC b)1713?-- he was baptised in 1713

debraanderson15 (View posts)
Posted: 17 Dec 2005 8:20PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Dolan, Hicks, Locke, Reeves
I have a puzzle regarding the birth year of 'my' Robert Hicks and was hoping someone on this list could direct me.

Background:
My Robert Hicks was the brother of William Hicks and they were the sons of John who died Queens, NY, (as proven by a record filed in the Orange CO NC probate file jacket of William Hicks located in Raleigh @ the NC State Archives) Both Wm. & Rbt. were of early Granville CO NC. This Robert Hicks married Sarah Reeves the d/o Wm. Reeves.

From my notes...
Many list the birth year of Robert Hicks as 1713.

In the NCGS article Aug 2003, Pg298- The author Mr. Brayton states that this Robert Hicks was baptized May 21, 1713. This is correct per the records that I found in 'THE ORIGIN AND HISTORY OF GRACE CHURCH, JAMAICA, NEW YORK'. However, in the next paragraph Mr. Brayton states that this Robert was "born" May 21, 1713. Obviously he has made an error in this second statement. OK, so ( I wondered) when was Robert born? When was one generally baptized? Was it at birth, or was it when the individual was 'coming' of an age that he/she could choose to be baptized? I asked the librarian at Sutro Library in San Francisco, she thought it was about the time one was 'coming of age' - - I am not sure what age that would be but suspect in the early teens?

THEN, I found something of great interest when I was looking for 'Reeves' records in Chowan CO NC. In Deed Book 1 Pg 632, on Sept 21, 1718, 'a' Robert Hicks witnessed a deed from Philip Jones of Surry CO, VA to John Lenard of Dominion, VA 250 ac more or less on the north side of Merattock river, adj. William Reeves and the mouth of a Deep Bottom. Wit:Robert Hicks. Reg. Feb 27, 1718.

This seems to be my William Reeves the f/o Sarah as this is the same location where he owned land. If this is my Robert, then he was not born in 1713.

So then I wondered how old did one have to be to witness a deed? Per Pg209, THE SOURCE - A GUIDE BOOK OF AMERICAN GENEALOGY, Edited by Arlene Eakle & Johni Cerny (Revised Edition 1997), the age requirement to witness a deed was age 14 for a male, 12 for a female. Also of note: 'Age to be taxed' was 16 (males only), but also listed was age 21 for full poll responsibility unless exempt. AND per "NORTH CAROLINA RESEARCH, GENEALOGY AND LOCAL HISTORY" BY HELEN F. M. LEARY AND MAURICE R. STIREWALT, the taxable age for white males during the Colonial period was 16. During the Revolution and for some years afterwards it varied from county to county but by 1784 it was fixed @ 21 in all counties.

So, if my Robert was age 14 in 1718 when he signed as witness, then he was born before 1705. Assuming that he was born about 1704, and assuming that this is the same Robert, then he was about age 9 when baptized. Lots of assumptions. (deep sigh) But then I found something else. The 1717 Chowan CO NC Tax List is interesting. It seems that there is a Rbt. Hicks 80ac 1WP, and a Tho. Hicks 200 ac 1 WP on one page (together), and a David Hicks 1000ac 1 WP listed on another page. We know that a Thomas Hicks was a bro/of my Robert. This 1717 Chowan CO NC tax list was published in the Dec issue 1960 of NORTH CAROLINA GENEALOGY (Magazine). William Reeves is not listed in 1717, but does appear on the 1721 list with 130 acres 1WP. This 1721 list published in the NORTH CAROLINA GENEALOGY (Magazine) - Fall Winter 1970. Names and acreage are listed in this publication, but the Polls are not listed on all of the 'lists'. David Hicks is still listed in 1721 with 1000 ac. (# of polls not indicated on this page). Robert and Thomas Hicks are not listed, BUT the tax list is not necessarily 100% complete per the writer.

Also note that one could 'own' land at any age, but could not sell until the age of 21.

So... if this is my Robert on the 1717 tax list, then he was at least 16 years of age in 1717= born abt 1701. I wondered if that made sense. I suppose it could, but then I wondered how old was he when he married? Seems Sarah Reeves was born sometime after 1706, but when? We know that their first (known) child wasn't born until about 1746 (about). That seems a bit off to me. So did they have more (older) children? Or were they married at an older age? So many questions.

Maybe it is not my Robert listed in that 1718 deed and on the 1717 tax list. But it seems odd to me that there were two Robert Hicks that were in the same area of Chowan CO NC and seemingly acquainted with my William Reeves.

Was hoping some other Robert Hicks family researchers might have some thoughts.

Also, (off hand ;-) does anyone know what denomination Grace Church, Jamaica, NY was?

All leads appreciated.

Thank you,
Debra Anderson

Re: Rbt Hicks of Granville CO NC b)1713?-- he was baptised in 1713

Larry Surface (View posts)
Posted: 18 Dec 2005 5:00AM GMT
Debra
some facts on Robert Hicks of Chowan NC:
His first wife was Africa McGregory who died in 1711.
1.. From NC history: vol 1, pg 52
Africa Hicks, wife of Robert, Nov 7, 1711; Sons Patrick and Gregory Mc Gregory.

2..Robert bought land in Chowan area as early as 1706,and was county recorder for many years.
He died about 1733.

3..He married Esther Luten about 1714, their only
children were Thomas and Mary.

4.. The Thomas there around 1700 was probably
father of Robert.

The Robert of Granville:
Baptisms were normally performed shortly after birth,
and again at 12 to 14 years.
Either Robert Sr or Jr was a Captain in the Rev War,
from Granville. Robert Sr died 1792.
Thanks for your info. Hope this helps. Larry

Debra (View posts)
Posted: 18 Dec 2005 6:10PM GMT
Thank you Larry. I do appreciate your response.

It is my understanding that one was baptized either at birth or when one was old enough to make that decision. My problem is that I do not know what the tradition was for my Hicks family. I was told that my Robert was Episcopalian, but I do not know this for a fact, and I do not know if he was Episcopalian when he was young. Do you know what the Episcopalian's custom was in the early 1700's?

It is my belief that there were two Robert Hicks that were of Chowan CO NC. I do not know if they were related to each other. I have posted some of my notes (by date) below. This is not complete as I have many other records to add. I am hoping to compare the two Roberts, their records, and the families that they did business with. Maybe something will come of it. Maybe not. You seem to know about the elder Robert of Chowan CO NC. Would you mind taking a look at some of these records and tell me if anything 'rings a bell' ? & if you can add anything to the list... ;-)

I know that there are many researching these families, so if any of you want to jump in, please do! I am hoping that we can all work together (share our thoughts) to figure out our puzzles.

Also, I have noted the source for each notation so that I can cut and paste the various notes at whim =without having to look up the source each time I do this---> this seems to work for me at this time. I hope that this is not too cumbersome for you to read. & also noting that I do have many of these original record copies in my hard copy file.

Thank you for your time,
Debra Anderson

- - - - -

Some of my NOTES for Robert Hicks include:

NOTE: My Robert Hicks born abt 1713....? Per THE ORIGIN AND HISTORY OF GRACE CHURCH, JAMAICA, NEW YORK the birth year 1713 is listed by some as documentation ... Robert was baptised May 21, 1713. William and Thomas were also baptised there and all three were listed as the sons of John and Ellinor. BUT note that baptism did not necessarily take place at birth, so one can not assume that our Robert was born 1713.

Who is this record referring to? :
Chowan Precinct Deed Book W #1 Abstracts by Hofmann
17 April 1716 Ct at the House of Robert Hicks at Queen Ann's John Jones ack sale to Edward Cockerell and John Nairn attorney for Ann Jones ack her title of Dover to the sd Land. John Jones Sr ack a sale to George Broomley; Ordered that John Jones be Overseer of the Road in the Room of Francis Branch; Letter of attorney from William Jones to Henry Bonner proved by oath of Thomas Jones
& this one
"Careful research was given to South Carolina's Indian Affairs records to see if his name was mentioned during the early 1730s or 1740s. The results proved negative. However, while going through South Carolina's DOCUMENTS RELATING to INDIAN AFFAIRS, several lists of Indian traders appeared. These lists were generated by laws created by the colonies of Georgia and South Carolina to control Indian trade within their own borders. The first laws monitoring Indian traders in South Carolina were inacted in 1702. They were specifically directed against Virginia Indian traders. One of the first Virginia Indian traders whose property was "confiscated" becasue of this act was Robert HICKS[Sr.]of Virginia in 1707.(18)" & also "Using the names of "Licensed Indian traders", a list of Virginia, North and South Carolina traders was created. A partial list includes... Charles HICKS..." & "Further research revealed that the TURBEVILLEs, COLSONs, and CALVERTs worked for Major Robert MUMFORD of Brunswick County, Virginia, and with Thomas WHITMELL. Major MUMFORD was a large land speculator and the descendant of an Indian trading family. The MUMFORDs had traded alongside men like Abraham WOOD, Benjamin HARRISON, Robert BOLLING, William BYRD I, Peter POYTHRESS, and Robert HICKS since the late 1600s.
& this one
11 Apr 1709 Chowan County, NC. Jacob COLSON witnesses a deed from Robert Hicks to Arthur Kavanaugh of Meherrin River, 1280 acres (Note from Doug Tucker - Kavanaugh and Jacob COLSON were Indian Traders. Kavanaugh lived among the Meherrin Indians at a site near the mouth of the Meherrin River and Jacob COLSON was his close neighbor. This was before Jacob COLSON moved his family, including son John, south to the Roanoke River - then called the Marrotock River.)
&
12 July 1716 Chowan County, NC. Elizabeth AVENT of Surry Co, VA, spinster, to Robert Hicks of North Carolina, letter of attorney to make over in my stead land at Mount Royall to Robert GREEN and Jacob COLESON and 200 acres to my neighbor Richard Moore and 240 acres to Richard Moore of Nottoway River. Wit: Henry Jones, William Green. Registered 6 Aug 1716.
&
Chowan Co 28 Jul 1717 Francis Mclendon & Eliner to Robert Hicks Letter of attorney to acknowledge tract of 200 acres by deed to Edw Howcott. #1 Deed Book B #1 p126.
&
Chowan Deed Book B #1, Page 438, #970. Jonathan Sears of the Province of New York, marriner, to Robert Patterson and Edward Moore of Chowan Precinct. January 16, 1716/17 for a valuable consideration. 540 acres on the west side of the Meherrin River, joining William Fryer and lands now in the possession of said Patterson as by patent, all Houses, Gardens, Orchards, etc. Witnesses are J. Turner, Robert Hicks, John Nairn. Reg. April 20, 1717. (540 Acres on the west side of the Meherrin River, joining William Fryer and lands now in possession of Robert Patterson as by patent).

& this seems to be Robert son in-law of Wm.Reeves...
Chowan CO Deed Book 1 Pg 632, on Sept 21, 1718, 'a' Robert Hicks witnessed a deed from Philip Jones of Surry CO, VA to John Lenard of Dominion, VA 250 ac more or less on the north side of Merattock river, adj. William Reeves [this is Wm.Reeves of Granville CO NC the father in-law of my Robert!] and the mouth of a Deep Bottom. Wit: Robert Hicks. Reg. Feb 27, 1718. (SEE Edgecombe CO Deeds 1736-1744 N.C. Archives & History. 1744 Below)
&
Chowan Deed Book F #1, Page 76, #487. Edward Moore is a witness to a transfer by William Jones and Mary his wife to Robert Hicks. March 21, 1720. Power of Attorney to acknowledge sale of land unto Richard Fryer. Witnesses are William Charlton, and Edward Moore () his mark.
&
NOTE: Deed Book C #1 Chowan Co., NC #1316 - pg.76 - Joseph Sutton Sr to Thomas Sutton 19 Oct 1720 for love and affection I have towards my son --- assignment of a patt. for 318 acres - NE side of Casiah River --- formerly assign. to Joseph Sutton by John Plowman 1 April 1714. Wit.: Robert Hicks, John Nairn, Reg. 16 June 1721 P. 163
&
Chowan County Conveyances 6 Jan 1728 Benjamin Perry to Thomas Lane 140 acres NE shore of Chowan River on Deep Run; 140 acres adj. Land of James Farlow. Test: Robert Hicks, Susanna Perry Hathaway 2-445

Big NOTE:
!!!!!!!!!!!!THE ABOVE DEEDS May be AN OLDER ROBERT HICKS --- Except for the 1718 deed. THE FOLLOWING SEEM TO BE for MY ROBERT HICKS WHO MARRIED SARAH REEVES.

NOTE: Mary Best Bell's COLONIAL BERTIE COUNY, NC, DEED BOOKS A-H, 1720-1757 Bk E, Pg 557 JAMES WILLIAM & WIFE REBECCA TO ROBERT HICKS, "marrinor" October 17, 1739. 140 pds. for *. JAMES WILLIAMS "late of Boston in the county of Suffolk and Province of Massachusetts Bay in New England Marrinor:. Land on NS Roanoke River and ES Jump and Run. Adj. "Land formerly belonging to JAMES BLOUNT but now JEFFREY BUTLER...". Adj. THOMAS PAGE. Wit: JOHN CLARK. LOTT LEWIS. December 1, 1739. Signed: "Suffolk Boston Oct'r 17th 1739 HABIJAH SAVAGE (Jus Pec)". W. SMITH C. J. "Recorded in ye secretarys office RATH RILL sec... Rec'd on the day of the date hereof Mr. ROBT HICKS the sum of one hundred and forty Pound in full consideration and purchase of the afore Devised Premisses by je JAMES WILLIAMS...".

NOTE:Bertie CO BkF Pg224 April 13, 1741 William Reeves of Edgecombe CO to Robert Hicks, "Marriner" [son-in-law= the h/o Sarah] 3pds 30ac in Northwest Parish of Bertie County, on NS of the Roanoke River, "to an Old Field formerly Jane Johnses.

NOTE:Granville CO NC Bk E Pg195-196 John Earl Granville to Robert Hicks of Granville 118ac 10 SH July 29, 17?6?1 in Granville CO on the branch of Fishing Creek Reg May 14, 1762 Side NOTE;Bk E covers 1761 time period = so best guess this is 1761 record. Granville was formed 1746

NOTE:Edgecombe CO Deeds 1736-1744 N.C. Archives & History. 1744 William Reeves Sr. to Robert Hicks [son-in-law] 130ac SS Marratuck River beginning at Long's corner on the N.E. side, Plumtree Swamp East to an Oak in Crab Meadow, thence along the windings of the River. [This is the original grant to William Reeves, Sr. in 1719; 2nd deed to his son-in-law h/o Sarah]

Side NOTE: Will of JOHN GRAY - 20 Sept 1745 - Nov Ct 1750 - surveyor - wife ANNE - beds, furniture in the lower rooms except desk, pewter, and brass pots etc also the use of my plantation where I now live adj Aunt Sarah’s Branch containing 400 acs as well as the use of my Negroes Charles and Sarah;
eldest son, JOHN - all my lands in Northhampton and Edgecombe Counties, also a desk in the north room; son WILLIAM plantation where I now live containing 800 acres adj Broad Branch, Aunt Sarah’s Branch, ROBERT HICKS Cashia River..."

NOTE: Pg 33, ABSTRACTS OF THE EARLY DEEDS OF GRANVILLE COUNTY NORTH CAROLINA 1746-1765, By Zae Hargett Gwynn, Publ by Joseph W. Watson, 406 Piedmont Ave. Roch Mount, N.C. 1974. Deed Book B, Pt 35-37 of records. Feb. 24, 1752 - William Norwood of Northhampton Co., N.C. to John Norwood of same place for 37 pds. 450acres on N side of Nutbush Creek at Waldrop's line. Wts: Robert Hicks, John Moore.

NOTE: Pg 67, ABSTRACTS OF THE EARLY DEEDS OF GRANVILLE COUNTY NORTH CAROLINA 1746-1765, By Zae Hargett Gwynn, Publ by Joseph W. Watson, 406 Piedmont Ave. Roch Mount, N.C. 1974. Deed Book B Pg 535-537 of records. Oct. 26, 1752- Grant to Robert Hicks of Northampton Co., N.C. land on W side of Fishing Creek containing 350 acres, in Granville Co., N.C. Wts: Jno Haywood, Jno. Pryor.

NOTE: Pg 45, ABSTRACTS OF THE EARLY DEEDS OF GRANVILLE COUNTY NORTH CAROLINA 1746-1765, By Zae Hargett Gwynn, Publ by Joseph W. Watson, 406 Piedmont Ave. Roch Mount, N.C. 1974. Deed Book B Pg 211-212 of records. Mar. 5, 1753 Richard Harris to Robert Harris for 5 pds. 300 acres on Robert Harris' line Jonathan White's line. Wts: Robert and William Hicks.

NOTE:1753 GranvilleTax List of Robert Harris 1753 Includes:
Whites/ Blacks/ Total
Robert Hicks Negroes: Cato Sary Isabel Bess 1/ 4/ 5
Malichi Reves and negro Jackson

NOTE:Granville County North Carolina Tax List of Robert Harris 1754...
Hicks Robt negros Cela Sary Isabell & Bess 1 /4 /5
Reves James 1/ /1
Reves Malichi and negro Jackson 1/1/ 2

LISTED: 1755 GRANVILLE CO NC Tax lists includes-
Robert Hicks, Neg:Cato, Sall, Isabel & Bess 1-4-5
John Rieves & son Thomas, 2-0-2
James Rieves & son Malichi, 2-0-2
Malichi Rieves & William & Neg Jackson, 2-1-3
Wm. Hicks, Const., 0-0-0
No Lockes

NOTE: Pg 59, ABSTRACTS OF THE EARLY DEEDS OF GRANVILLE COUNTY NORTH CAROLINA 1746-1765, By Zae Hargett Gwynn, Publ by Joseph W. Watson, 406 Piedmont Ave. Roch Mount, N.C. 1974. Deed Book B Pg 441-442 of Records. Feb. 3, 1755 George Morris of Johnston Co., N.C. to Robert Hicks of Granville Co. for 100 pds. 300 acres in Granville Co. on David Meade's line. Wts: Jacob Perry, Wm. Humphreys.

NOTE: Partial 1758 Tax List of Granville CO NC, Col Paines List, found in Misc loose paper files C.R.X Box6 Granville CO NC file jackets NC State Archives Raleigh (SEE hard copy file) The list includes the following names:
Rob.t Hicks w/s Cabo, Sarah, Isbol & _otty 5
Malachi Reeves 2
Lewis Anderson w/wife & son & also ?slaves? Lewis, Shadrack, Sary, ___? 5

NOTE: Pg 111, ABSTRACTS OF THE EARLY DEEDS OF GRANVILLE COUNTY NORTH CAROLINA 1746-1765, By Zae Hargett Gwynn, Publ by Joseph W. Watson, 406 Piedmont Ave. Roch Mount, N.C. 1974. Deed Book C Pg 573-574 of records. Mar. 20, 1758- Sarah Dunavan to Robert Boid for 30 pds. 200 acres on Adcocks Creek at Henry McCulloch's patent line, which was deeded by Benjamin Hill and Alexa McCulloch Aug. 1, 1751 and is part of 320 acres, to Sarah Dunavan. Wts: Robert Hicks, Thos. King.

NOTE:The link for Robert, and William moving from LI to NC is in a warrant. From W. H. Phillips' letter of Jan 23, 1980 to Esther Emory and Edwin Hicks. "Elizabeth's notes [Elizabeth Hicks Hummel] show that she found the Warrant and the Recognizance Bond in a box of old unsorted papers in the vault. The warrant states that William and Robert, brothers went to Granville to Little Neck near NYC in 1758, that they made a settlement (we assume an estate) on June 26, 1758, that on July 3, 1758 between little Neck and a place called the narrows that Robert threatened William with a knife and demanded four pounds New York money as a balance due, and that on October 23, 1858 William swore out the warrant against his brother. On the back of the Recongizance Bond one can make out a few words such as "settle, Jamaca, rode some distance, L 10 dollars, to the ferry."
"Elizabeth felt that since the grandfather Thomas did not mention them in his will that they took what they had got from their father (1730) and left LI in 1740. We know that Robert was in Bertie Co., NC in 1749 and 50, sold out and bought land next to William in Granville in 1749 (he would have been age 24). Elizabeth further surmised that prior to 1758 another relative died in LI, or that there was a residue of their father's inheritance from their grandfather, hence the need for the 1758 trip to Little Neck."

& then...

NOTE: Copied from original found in the Orange CO NC loose paper estate files of William Hicks (SEE hard copy file) that seems to be connected to this incident (above) in 1758. Both records mention Thomas Hicks as witness. In the side margin on the first record is written "bond of Wm Hicks to Robert Hicks for securing a gift to his son John Hicks" In the Body of this record... William Hicks is bound to __ Robert Hicks by __ within written Obligation... sum of fifty pounds Sterling ... I have hereunto set my hand and seal the third day of July 1758. Sig: Robert Hicks.
Then in another record which is much easier to read (=less water marks, and not torn), " ... William Hicks of Granville County in the Colony of North Carolina House Carpenter... firmly bound unto Robert Hicks of the --water mark-- Place Merchant, in the sum of fifty Pounds Sterling Money of Great Britain to be paid to the said Robert Hicks or to his certain attorney Executors...payments will and truly to be made... sealed with my seal dated third Day of July in the thirty second year of the Reign of our love reign Lord George the Second ... 1758 ... "The Condition of the above Obligation is such that whereas the said Robert Hicks hath delivered to the said William Hicks the sum of fourty Pounds Current Money of the Colony of New York." In the side margin "Be it Remembered that on the 6th day of July 1758 personaly appeared before me Daniel ?Horssmander? Esq. (One of the Justices of the Supreme Court of the Province of New York) Thomas Hicks Esq. One of the subscribing Witnesses to this Agreement, and being duly sworne... did declare that he saw William Hicks sign seal & deliver this Instrument as his voluntary act ... and that he the deponent together with Stephen Hicks & Thomas Hicks Jurats ... did subscribe their names as witnesses therto ... order the same to be recorded Signed:Dan. Horsmander/Horsemanden

NOTE: Pg 149, ABSTRACTS OF THE EARLY DEEDS OF GRANVILLE COUNTY NORTH CAROLINA 1746-1765, By Zae Hargett Gwynn, Publ by Joseph W. Watson, 406 Piedmont Ave. Roch Mount, N.C. 1974. Deed Book D Pg 243-244 of records. Mar. 25, 1759- Thomas Howel to William White for 60 pds., part of tract of 490 acres on Fishing Creek in Granville Co., N.C. at James Reeves' corner at Jacob Perry's line, herein deed 180 acres of the tract granted by Lord Granville to Howel Aprl 29, 1755. Wits: Robert Hicks, Jacob Perry, William Jordan.

NOTE: Pg 135, ABSTRACTS OF THE EARLY DEEDS OF GRANVILLE COUNTY NORTH CAROLINA 1746-1765, By Zae Hargett Gwynn, Publ by Joseph W. Watson, 406 Piedmont Ave. Roch Mount, N.C. 1974. Deed Book D Pg 97 of records. Oct. 22, 1760- John Lewis to Luis Thomas of Bertie Co., N.C. for 21 pds., 150 acres in Granville Co., N.C. as per deed of land granted Oct. 28, 1754 to John Lewis in Robert Hix's line. Wts:Jacob Perry, James Reeves.

NOTE: Pg 139, ABSTRACTS OF THE EARLY DEEDS OF GRANVILLE COUNTY NORTH CAROLINA 1746-1765, By Zae Hargett Gwynn, Publ by Joseph W. Watson, 406 Piedmont Ave. Roch Mount, N.C. 1974. Deed Book D Pg 135-136 of records. Nov. 28, 1760- Grant to Robert Hicks for 700 acres on both sides of Fishing Creek on Anderson's line in Granville Co.

NOTE: Pg 159, ABSTRACTS OF THE EARLY DEEDS OF GRANVILLE COUNTY NORTH CAROLINA 1746-1765, By Zae Hargett Gwynn, Publ by Joseph W. Watson, 406 Piedmont Ave. Roch Mount, N.C. 1974. Deed Book D Pg 335-336 of records. June 11, 1761- Robert Hicks to George Anderson for 10pds at George Anderson's line on Robert Hicks' line, 300 acres being part of 700 acres granted to Robert Hicks, Nov. 8, 1760. Wts: Sarah Hicks.

NOTE: Pg 179, ABSTRACTS OF THE EARLY DEEDS OF GRANVILLE COUNTY NORTH CAROLINA 1746-1765, By Zae Hargett Gwynn, Publ by Joseph W. Watson, 406 Piedmont Ave. Roch Mount, N.C. 1974. Deed Book E Pg 80-81 of records. June 12, 1761- William Moore of oring (Orange) Co., N.C. to Henry Parkman of Granville Co., N.C. for 5 pds., 220 acres in Granville at Cook's corner at Farris' line, Moore's line, which was granted to Moore. Wts:Robert Hicks, James Reeves.

NOTE: Pg 187, ABSTRACTS OF THE EARLY DEEDS OF GRANVILLE COUNTY NORTH CAROLINA 1746-1765, By Zae Hargett Gwynn, Publ by Joseph W. Watson, 406 Piedmont Ave. Roch Mount, N.C. 1974. Deed Book E Pg 195-196 of records. Grant to Robert Hicks for 318 acres on Fishing Creek on Reavis' , Hill's, and Knot's lines in Granville Co., N.C.

NOTE: Pg 183, ABSTRACTS OF THE EARLY DEEDS OF GRANVILLE COUNTY NORTH CAROLINA 1746-1765, By Zae Hargett Gwynn, Publ by Joseph W. Watson, 406 Piedmont Ave. Roch Mount, N.C. 1974. Deed Book E Pg 118-119 of records. Aug. 5, 1761- Grant to Robert Hicks of Granville Co., N.C. for 277 acres on Tabbs Creek at Reaves' line.

NOTE: Pg 150, ABSTRACTS OF THE EARLY DEEDS OF GRANVILLE COUNTY NORTH CAROLINA 1746-1765, By Zae Hargett Gwynn, Publ by Joseph W. Watson, 406 Piedmont Ave. Roch Mount, N.C. 1974. Deed Book D Pg 252 of records. Sept. 9, 1761- Jacob Perry to Luke Rawls for 45 pds. (Rawls of Northampton Co., N.C.) 150 acres in Granville Co., N.C. on head of Fishing Creek at Meads line, Joseph Bass' line, Robert Hix's line, which land was granted to Perry Apr. 9, 1754. Wts: James Reeves, Jeremiah Reeves.

NOTE: Pg 203, ABSTRACTS OF THE EARLY DEEDS OF GRANVILLE COUNTY NORTH CAROLINA 1746-1765, By Zae Hargett Gwynn, Publ by Joseph W. Watson, 406 Piedmont Ave. Roch Mount, N.C. 1974. Deed Book E Pg 381-382 of records. Feb 15, 1762- John Ellis to John Hicks for 25 pds., 140 acres on E side of Hawtree Creek at Joshua Ellis' line, Samuel Harwel's. Wts: Hardige Walker, Wm. Pattishall, James Young, Robert Hicks. WHICH JOHN HICKS IS THIS?

LISTED 1762 Granville CO NC Tax LIst includes-
White/Black/Male/Female/16>/Total
Crossroads Dist. List of Joseph Bell - John Hicks w/ Robert Hicks. Robert is charged 2 tithables.
Fishing Creek Dist. by Saml Benton & also included in Oxford Dist -Malachiah Reeves & John Allin with sons William & Jonathan & Neg boy Tom 4-1-5-0-4-5 =So where are the gals?
Fishing Dist List of Wm Moore - Patrick Lock (no count) This is the 1st Locke found in this county to date.
Fishing Dist List of Brisse Parrish Male Reaves (no count)
Capt Phil Hawkins Dist - Jno Reeves & sons William & Joseph 3 (only counted wm)
Fishing Creek Dist List of Danl Harris - Burdish[Burgess] Reaves is listed w/ John Tomson 2 (only counted wm)
Oxford Dist List of Samuel Benton- Robert Hicks Neg Cato, Sall, Issabel & Bess 1-4-1-2-2-5; James Reeves & son Jeremiah Neg boy Chance 2-1-3-0-2-3; Malaciah Reeves Jr. 1-0-1-0-1-1.
Oxford Dist List of John Parham (no counts included) James Reaves; Malachiah Reives
Ragland Dist List of John Williams Jr. - William Hicks Neg Jenny & Ned 1-2-3Total females not listed

NOTE: Pg 233, ABSTRACTS OF THE EARLY DEEDS OF GRANVILLE COUNTY NORTH CAROLINA 1746-1765, By Zae Hargett Gwynn, Publ by Joseph W. Watson, 406 Piedmont Ave. Roch Mount, N.C. 1974. Deed Book F Pg 280-281 of records Dec. 22, 1762- George Anderson to Jeremiah Anderson for 5 pds., 200 acres at George Anderson's line, Bass' line, Robert Hicks' line, being part of tract granted to George Anderson by Robert Hicks by deed. Wts: Robert Hicks, James Roberts, Jr.

NOTE:Granville CO NC BkF Pg401 1763 Malaciah Reves of Granville CO to Wm. Hicks of same 14pds 293ac both sides Tabbs Creek, adj. Wm. Hicks , Matlock, & Robert Hicks. signed: Malchiah Reves Wit:Claborn Harris, Wm. Reeves Proved 1763 (This Malachiah Reeves was son of Wm and brother of Sarah Reeves the wife of our Robert Hicks)

NOTE: Pg 247, ABSTRACTS OF THE EARLY DEEDS OF GRANVILLE COUNTY NORTH CAROLINA 1746-1765, By Zae Hargett Gwynn, Publ by Joseph W. Watson, 406 Piedmont Ave. Roch Mount, N.C. 1974. Deed Book F Pg 425-426 of records. Nov. 7, 1763- James Reeves to Malachy Reeves, Jr. (Milicent, wife of James Reeves, also signs this deed), land on Fishing Creek containing 100 acres. Wts:Nathaniel Perry, Robert Hicks.

NOTE:Granville CO NC Bk H Pg 120 1766 Malleky Reeves of Granville to Robert Hicks of same 17 pds & 10 shill 100ac adj Robert Hicks Wit: Abigail Hicks, Lucretia Hicks. [All of these Hicks <g>!!! & assume this is Abagail d/o Robert & her sister 'our' Lucretia Hicks who later to becomes the wife of John Lock!] NEED to pull this original record to confirm date. Lucretia was born abt 1755?! Abagail born abt 1748?!

SEE: ENSLAVED ANCESTORS ABSTRACTED FROM GRANVILLE COUNTY, NORTH CAROLINA
DEED BOOKS, 1746 - 1828 http://www.afrigeneas.com/library/ncdeeds/1746-1828[h-n].htm...

NOTE: HISTORY AND GENEALOGIES OF OLD GRANVILLE COUNTY, NORTH CAROLINA, 1746-1800, By Timothy McAdory Owen, Source found @ NC State Library (Genealogical Section- 2nd floor). Feby 2, 1768. Pet'n. of Robt. Hicks for grist mill "over Fishing Creek", ref'd to next Ct.... SEE Nov 4, 1783

NOTE:KINFOLKS OF GRANVILLE COUNTY NORTH CAROLINA 1765-1826,Compiled By Hargett Gwynn, 1992 . 1769 Granville CO NC Tax Lists include: Robert Hicks 2w, 7b; Samuel Hicks 1w; William Hicks 1w, 2b; Absalom Hicks 1w. Also included on this list:William Reeves 2white, 1black; Mallechiah Reeves 4w; William Lock 1w.

NOTE:KINFOLKS OF GRANVILLE COUNTY NORTH CAROLINA 1765-1826,Compiled By Hargett Gwynn, 1992 . BkH Pg 527 Robert Hicks to Robert Bell of Bute CO land in Granville CO NC March 15, 1769

Side NOTE:In 1777 the legislature of the "new" state of North Carolina passed an act allowing the state to take over the title to all "vacant" land within its borders. This land had formerly been the property of the King or the Earl of Granville. In the same year, the legislature also passed an act creating a procedure for selling the land to almost anyone who had the money to pay the required fees.Between 1778 and 1781, the person making an entry had to pledge allegiance to the state. This requirement was supposed to keep tories from claiming land. = SO look for these pledges. The state charged 50 shillings per hundred acres between 1778 and 1781. Beginning in 1783, the state fee was raised to 10 pounds per hundred acres. Afterward, the fee varied; lower fees were charged if the land included a swamp or was mountainous. In 1781 entry offices were closed possibly because the state wanted to change the fee structure, but there was no agreement on how much to change. Warrants could still be issued, surveys could still be done, & grants could still be issued (for entries already on the books) PROVIDED the required fees were paid. In 1783, the county entry offices were reopened, and the grant fee to the state was four times the previous amount (10 pounds vs. 50 shillings per hundred acres).
There are many entries which were never turned into grants= So we find many more entries than warrants or grants in every county.

NOTE:KINFOLKS OF GRANVILLE COUNTY NORTH CAROLINA 1765-1826,Compiled By Hargett Gwynn, 1992 . BkL Pg208 Robert Hicks to son Thomas Hicks if sd Thomas should die with out heirs property to go to Robert Bell, s/o Thomas Bell and his wife Sarah Bell, and grandon of sd Robert Hicks Feb 1, 1778.

NOTE:May the 30, 1778, Granville CO, Oxford District, NC, Robert Hicks took Oath of Allegiance

NOTE:KINFOLKS OF GRANVILLE COUNTY NORTH CAROLINA 1765-1826,Compiled By Hargett Gwynn, 1992 . BkS Pg305 Robert Hicks deed of gift to his son Thomas Hicks Feb 1, 1778
Hicks, Robert to Thomas Hicks [his son]. "...also a Negro man named Primus & a Negro boy named Boston..." (Deed-1778, pp. 305-306, book S)
Hicks, Robert to Thomas Hicks [his son]. "consideration of the love and affection... Negro man named Primus -?- Negro boy named Boston... track of land and Negroes to remain to the use of Robert Bell, son of Thomas Bell & Sarah Bell & grandson of the said Robert Hicks..." (DIT-1778, p.208, book L)

NOTE:KINFOLKS OF GRANVILLE COUNTY NORTH CAROLINA 1765-1826,Compiled By Hargett Gwynn, 1992 . BkO Pg23 Robert Hicks Sr. to Isaac Hicks of Wake CO NC, but if he should fail to leave an heir of his body, then land should go to George Bell, s/o Thomas Bell and Sary Bell, grandson of sd. Robert Hicks, Sr. Dec 27, 1779.

NOTE:KINFOLKS OF GRANVILLE COUNTY NORTH CAROLINA 1765-1826,Compiled By Hargett Gwynn, 1992 . BkO Pg31 Robert Hicks Sr. deed to Robert Hicks, Jr. and the heirs of his body but if he should fail to leave heirs of his body then the land should descend to Isaac Hicks and the heirs of his body Nov 27, 1779

NOTE:KINFOLKS OF GRANVILLE COUNTY NORTH CAROLINA 1765-1826,Compiled By Hargett Gwynn, 1992 . Bk O Pg591 William Hicks to Malachiah Reavis for a token amount, Aug 7, 1780 [this transaction of great interest!]

NOTE:KINFOLKS OF GRANVILLE COUNTY NORTH CAROLINA 1765-1826,Compiled By Hargett Gwynn, 1992 . BkO Pg259 Robert Hicks Sr. deed of gift to his son Robert Hicks Jr. Dec 20, 1782

NOTE:KINFOLKS OF GRANVILLE COUNTY NORTH CAROLINA 1765-1826,Compiled By Hargett Gwynn, 1992 . BkO Pg 259 Robert Hicks Sr. deed of gift to his son Robert Hicks Jr. of land and personal property charging him 75 pds. June 21, 1783

NOTE:KINFOLKS OF GRANVILLE COUNTY NORTH CAROLINA 1765-1826,Compiled By Hargett Gwynn, 1992 . BkS Pg327 Robert Hicks Sr. deed of gift t his son Robert Hicks Jr. June 21, 1783

NOTE: HISTORY AND GENEALOGIES OF OLD GRANVILLE COUNTY, NORTH CAROLINA, 1746-1800, By Timothy McAdory Owen, Source found @ NC State Library (Genealogical Section- 2nd floor). Nov 4, 1783 Pet'n of Robt. Hicks grist mill onGrassey Creek, laid over... SEE May 4, 1784 below

NOTE:There is also another record that states that William and Robert were brothers. Seems William sued his brother Robert in about 1783 regarding a Settlement of affairs between the two. Ransone Sutherland, Robert Hester ?of? Ben. Hester, Mary White ?of? Malichiah Reeves, Wm. Reeves were summoned to appear ... dated Nov 6th of that year. Another record dated Jan 7th 1784 Ransone Sutherland Robert Hester William Hicks Ju.n and William Reeves to appear at Harrisbury on the Thursday the 15 Instant to give Testimony in behalf of William Hicks against Robert Hicks in Chancery. Sig: Sherwood Harris. & Another record
dated May 1784 "William Hicks to summon 4 witnesses in your arbitration at Col. Burtons, with your brother Robert Sig: Wiatt Wilkerson. Then another record William Hicks vs Robert Hicks meet at the Tavern of Rob.t Burton Esq. ... it was decided that ... William Hicks recover of the Def.t Rob.t Hicks Eighty three pounds Six Shillings Eight pence, and his costs, dated June the 12th 1784. Sig: John Young, John Taylor, Samuel Smith. In the accounting of William Hicks there is a charge of summoning 6 witnesses in 1783 "in your suit vs your brother Robert for Arbitration at Harrisb.g" , then 4 witnesses in 1784, and another charge to summon 5 witneesses in 1784.

NOTE:ENSLAVED ANCESTORS ABSTRACTED FROM GRANVILLE COUNTY, NORTH CAROLINA
DEED BOOKS, 1746 - 1828 Hicks, Robert, Snr. to Robert Hicks, Jnr. (his son) Land and property to include "...also my Negro man Dick & my Negro girl Fillis & my Negro wench Bet & my Negro girl Geen(?) and my Negro boy Cato..." (Deed-1783, pp.259-260, book O)
&
DEED BOOKS, 1746 - 1828 Hicks, Robert to Robert Hicks, Junr. "...also my Negro man Dick and my Negro girl Fillis & my Negro wench Bet, and my Negro girl Gean[?], and my Negro boy Cato..." (DOG-1783, pp.327-328, book S)

NOTE: HISTORY AND GENEALOGIES OF OLD GRANVILLE COUNTY, NORTH CAROLINA, 1746-1800, By Timothy McAdory Owen, Source found @ NC State Library (Genealogical Section- 2nd floor). May 4, 1784 Pet'n of Robert Hicks of Nov 4, 1783 (SEE above) for mill granted, he keep a good ford across the North fork of Fishing Creek.

NOTE: HISTORY AND GENEALOGIES OF OLD GRANVILLE COUNTY, NORTH CAROLINA, 1746-1800, By Timothy McAdory Owen, Source found @ NC State Library (Genealogical Section- 2nd floor). May 4, 1785 Robt Hix (sic) Jr. & Robert Hester leave for water grist mill where not stated.

LISTED: Granville CO NC 1786 tax list includes-
wm21>60 / wm <21 & 60> / wf all ages / B 12>50 / B <12 & 50>
List of Zacharias Higgs in Fishing Creek (=the area John Locke h/o Lucretia lived)
Pg 1 Burgis Reeves 1-2-1; Allen Reeves 1-2-2
Pg 2 Samuel Hicks 1-1-2
Pg 3 Fedrick(sic) Reeves 1-1-3; William Hicks 1-2-3; David Hicks 1-3-1; William Reeves 2-4-5
Pg 4 Stephen Hicks 0-6-2; William Lock 0-4-5 [so it seems this Wm is over age 60]; Jonathan Lock 1-0-1 SEE side note below
Pg 5 Malichi Reeves
Oxford Dist LIst of R. Reed includes-
Pg 1 Thomas Hicks 1-0-0-1; John Locke 1-4-3; Pg 2 Robert Hicks Jr. 2-0-2 = This is our group
Side NOTE:On Pg 4 'Higgs list' ... William Locke left a Will in Granville CO NC, amongst his heirs are sons Stephen and a Jonathan. His wife was Elenor. His son Jonathan seems to have marr Elizabeth Suit = not our John, however, All these Lockes in the same area where our John was found and near our Reeves family = probable connection. John goes by John; Jonathan goes by Jonathan.

LISTED: PER Tax Payers of Granville County For The Year 1788, Compiled by Worth S. Ray, 1945, Re-printed 1956 & 1973. This source in aphabetical order, with list notations next to each name.
1788 Granville CO NC tax list (listing only) includes-
Oxford Dist - Robert Hicks, Thomas Hicks, Jon Lock
Epping Forest Dist - William Lock
Side NOTE:There are other Reeves and Hicks in this county 1788

NOTE:KINFOLKS OF GRANVILLE COUNTY NORTH CAROLINA 1765-1826,Compiled By Hargett Gwynn, 1992 . BkO Pg646 Isaac Hicks of Wake deed to Thomas Satterwhite of Granville for tract of land Robert Hicks conveyed to son Issac Hicks on Dec 29, 1779, this April 4, 1789

LISTED:1790 Granville tax lists (which have been used to reconstruct the burned census)
HICKS listed in Oxford District:
Thomas Hicks
Robert Hicks
In the Ragland District:
Harris Hicks
Bishop Hicks
William Hicks, Jr.
Thomas Hicks
In Tabbs Creek District:
Samuel Hicks
William Hicks
David Hicks

NOTE:ENSLAVED ANCESTORS ABSTRACTED FROM GRANVILLE COUNTY, NORTH CAROLINA DEED BOOKS, 1746 - 1828 Jones, Willis [Wake Co,] to Robert Hicks. [this would be Robt Hicks Jr.] "...man called & known by the name of Peter which Negro was formerly the property of Isaac Hicks..." (BOS-1796, pp.304-305, book P)

DEED BOOKS, 1746 - 1828 Reeves, William [This would be William Jr.] to Robert Hicks. "...one Negro man by the name of Tom..." (BOS-1796, p. 24, book Q)

NOTE:KINFOLKS OF GRANVILLE COUNTY NORTH CAROLINA 1765-1826,Compiled By Hargett Gwynn, 1992 . BkS Pg 174 Robert Hicks deed of gift to daughter Mary Hicks and Kindness Hicks, of two thirds of his estate; the other one third left to his wife for her lifetime was to got to his daughters, he reserving a lifetime right, Dec. 16, 1805 (SEE April 30, 1817 deed below)

DEED BOOKS, 1746 - 1828 Hicks, Robert to his daughters Mary and Kindness Hicks. "...Dick, Daniel, Crawley & Tuck to be equally divided between them..."(DOG-1805, pp.174-175, book S)

DEED BOOKS, 1746 - 1828 Granville CO NC Hicks, Robert to Parker F. Stone. "...girl named Nancy..." (BOS-1816, p. 95, book X)

NOTE:KINFOLKS OF GRANVILLE COUNTY NORTH CAROLINA 1765-1826,Compiled By Hargett Gwynn, 1992 .BkX Pg214 Parker F. Stone and wife, Kindness Stone, deed to Jasper Hicks for all their right in the land whereon Jasper Hicks now lives; this land was a deed of gift from Robert Hicks to his then unmarried daughters, Mary Hicks and Kindness Hicks on Dec 16, 1805; Mary married Jasper Hicks and Kindness married Parker F. Stone, April 30, 1817.

NOTE:KINFOLKS OF GRANVILLE COUNTY NORTH CAROLINA 1765-1826,Compiled By Hargett Gwynn, 1992 . Bk2 Pg329 Robert Hicks deed of gift to his son Robert B. Hicks, of Warren CO, NC , Aug 3, 1825
&
DEED BOOKS, 1746 - 1828 Hicks, Robert to Robert B. Hicks [his son, of Warren Co.] "...a Negro woman named Viney, daughter of Milley aged about fifteen years..." (DOG-1825, p. 329, book 2)

Larry surface (View posts)
Posted: 18 Dec 2005 7:44PM GMT
Debra
Re Baptism: I think it made no difference the denomination, all Christian faiths believed that a child should be baptised at birth, so their soul would not be lost in case of sudden death. Then baptised again later when they understood to think for themselves.

I will not try to absorb all the granville info you posted
all at once, but am sure there is much there to help me fill in some blanks.

But I will try to show that the Robert of Chowan was not the same as the Robert of Granville, and only one in Chowan. The following is from the research of Wayne Beeler: "Robert Hicks was Circuit Clerk and Recorder of Deeds for Chowan County from about 1712-1722. The earliest deed are in his handwriting and are extant. He died in 1738, leaving a will in which he named son Thomas Hicks and daughter Mary (Hicks) Halsy.
Burial 1739
Chowan County, North Carolina" ..my previous date for his death was working from memory....

The above is the reason you see his name mentioned so many times in Chowan records, including the 1718 record. Many people who lived in Virginia and other parts of NC bought land in the Chowan area as the Indian lands became available. Many bought for investment and never lived there.

The Robert Hicks that you mentioned as having his Indian trade goods confiscated, was a third Robert (Chowan, Granville, Brunswick/Surry) of Emporia Virginia.

The question of how and if the three Robert lines are connected, is a long standing question. Robert of Brunswick/Surry died in 1739 (Will Brunswick Va). The other Roberts are not his sons, his Robert Jr died before him.

Will let you know if anything else rings a bell. Larry

Debra (View posts)
Posted: 18 Dec 2005 8:33PM GMT
Re Baptism: I think it made no difference the denomination, all Christian faiths believed that a child should be baptised at birth, so their soul would not be lost in case of sudden death. Then baptised again later when they understood to think for themselves.

So... that means there could be two Baptism records = still have the same question regarding the approximate birth year of my Robert.

AND if my Robert was not in Chowan, then my William Reeves knew your 'other' Robert Hicks.

(deep sigh)

Thanks for the update. & Hope those records help. I know there are a lot of them. Time permitting, I hope we can figure this all out. Many times these families migrated together, so maybe there is something contained in them that give us a clue.

You have a great holiday!

Debra

Re: Baptism

Debra (View posts)
Posted: 19 Dec 2005 12:32AM GMT
I just received this response from William (directly) which sheds some light on this question... and thought to post here for those that might be interested.

"Re: Infant baptism.
Although you are right that MOST Christian faiths of the Protestant persuasion practiced infant baptism, the Stone-Campbell movement (so-called Restoration Movement), which had quite an influence on beliefs and practice in the then frontier, early came to the conclusion that only adult baptism (immersion) should be the practice, as that was the New Testament example. Alexander Campbell, who had been "sprinkled" as a child in either Ireland or Scotland, decided after he reached the wilds of western Pennsylvania and what is now the Panhandle of West Virginia that he should be immersed and was. That is not to say that the denominations which split out of that movement all recognized infant baptism and accepted one into its membership without immersion, but increasingly, the view comes to be accepted that baptism was a sign of obedience to the Word, not a test of faith. The view of a child as damned until baptized was one of the more abhorrent doctrines against which both Barton W. Stone and Alexander Campbell rebelled in their own Prebyterian upbringing.
You might check the Encyclopedia of the Stone-Campbell Movement, published by Wm. B. Erdman's Publishing in 2004, for what other frontier faiths practiced."

Larry Surface (View posts)
Posted: 19 Dec 2005 7:30PM GMT
Debra
Let me know if you find a connection of Robert of Granville to John Hicks who died in Surry Va 1729.
John married Rebecca Rieves, brother of George Rieves, and had sons Robert, John, and Daniel.

Also here is something you should be interested in if you don't already have it:

From History of Granville NC.
The Hicks family were distinguished among those worthy of remembrance
in Granville. Captain Robert Hicks lived about a mile from Oxford, in 1770.
The family is English, and settled in Brooklyn New York, in the vicinity
now known as Hicks street. The family was distinquished in England for its
courage and ability, and one of them was knighted for his deeds of daring.
Robert Hicks entered the Revolutionary Army, and was in the Battle of
Guilford, with the North Carolina Militia, where these raw and undiciplined
troops were placed in the front line by General Greene, and there overwhelm-
ed by the British, fled; young Hicks stood his ground and fought single hand-
ed, until nearly surrounded, and after his men had gone a considerable distance, he then escaped, and shared, during the remainder of the war, its
dangers and glories.

Larry

Debra (View posts)
Posted: 20 Dec 2005 1:44AM GMT
Hello again.

Do you know who the parents of this George and Rebecca were? Once I get a 'good handle' on my Robert Hicks family, I would like to understand who this John Hicks of Surry was.

Yes, I had this 'History of Granville'. Thank you for posting it. Actually, I have quite a bit more on my Hicks family, and the Reeves clan, but haven't typed it all up. I did spend some time yesterday adding some more notes to my database. I can send you an update if you are interested... just let me know. I will try to type up the land grants (Granville Grants and NC Grants) as well as the some of the deed records after the holiday rush.

I am glad you saw my original post.

BTW--- you might have an idea who Samuel Hicks of Granville CO was. I found some records for him, but not sure who he was, or if/how he was related to my group. He seems to be living amongst them = so he probably is related. The Question (from my notes) is posted below.

Debra

- - - - -

QUESTION: Who is Samuel Hicks who initiated a Will in 1770, proved in 1772 Granville CO NC?!
Per Ken's Query Found @ http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec/message/rw/localities.nort...
Ken seems to imply that this Samuel's Will contains the following phrase "...in hands of Robert Hicks Jr., 5 pds each to Daughters Lucretia Locke and Betsy Hicks" .
---BUT I located this Granville CO NC transcribed Will and this phrase is not found , nor is the name Robert, or Lucretia, or Elizabeth. However, this Samuel may be a relation of Robert Hicks the h/o Sarah Reeves. This Sam.l lived on Tabbs Creek on Wm. Reeve's line and adj Robert Hicks! So who is he? PER his Will... His wife at the time the Will was written was Diana. He also names a Jacob Woodal and his wife Anges and their son James, and to Mary Hix Whitlow the d/o Nathaniel Whitlow [granddaughter?], and to David Hix the s/o Samuel Hix Jr., and to Bushop Hix s/o "old"[?old?] Thom Hix, Sollomon Whitlow s/o Nathaniel & Diana Whitlow, and Samuel and Henry Hix were to inherit after his wife Diana passed and they were also named Executors. None of the relationships were specified except wife Diana. Wit:Robt Allison, and John Allison. Prov Nov Crt 1772 by oath of Robert Allison. Samuel Hix qualified as Executor.
ALSO NOTING: Ken, in his posts to GenForum states that this Samuel married Martha, Nancy and [then]Diana. Ken states that Samuel's children were: Samuel Jr.; Henry; Absalom; Agnes; Diana; Thomas; Robert; William; Elizabeth; Temperance; Stephen (his relative, who moved to Johnston County). Mother of these children was not indicated.

& also
NOTE: Pg 39, GRANVILLE COUNTY NORTH CAROLINA DEED 1755-1782, Abstracted by Timothy W. Rackley. State Grants. Item 180 (34) No. 137- Governor Richard Caswell to Samuel Hicks, 24 Sept 1779, 50 shillings for every 100ac granted a tract of land cont 640ac in Granville CO on the waters of Tab's Creek; Beg @ Hicks corner Red oak on Reaves' line, running Reaves line West 188 poles to pointers on Cruthcer's line, then his line South 156 poles to a Pine, then his other line West 40 poles to a Red Oak, then to & along Write's line 378 poles South to two Black Jacks, then East 228 poles to a Pine, the to & along Hicks line North to the beg.
&
NOTE: Pg 66, GRANVILLE COUNTY NORTH CAROLINA DEED 1755-1782, Abstracted by Timothy W. Rackley. State Grants. Item 339-(140) No. 285
Samuel Hicks corner & line mentioned in a Grant made March 1, 1780 to Thomas Johnston. On waters of Tab's Creek... Beg @ Samuel Hicks corner Pine
&
NOTE: Pg 67, GRANVILLE COUNTY NORTH CAROLINA DEED 1755-1782, Abstracted by Timothy W. Rackley. State Grants. Item 340-(140, 141) No. 239 Samuel Hicks line is again mentioned in a Grant to William Moore March 1, 1780. Beg at Joseph Hays' line... Samuel Hicks' line to Thomas Johnston's corner... to Couch's line...

So who is this guy?

Re: Robt Hicks of Granville CO NC baptised in 1713

b2222b (View posts)
Posted: 20 Dec 2005 12:28PM GMT
Surnames: Hicks, Doughty, Luton, Willis
Hi Debra and Larry - in your string of posts, you have brought up several of the difficulties concerning the names Robert, John, and Samuel Hicks. I have a few comments about these people, but as you are discovering, a lot of careful research is still required before we all have a trustworthy description of all the families involved. Note any "facts" I state below are subject to verification. My info has come from many sources including Carol Morrison, Wayne Beeler, early records of Chowan Co. NC and other areas (well-documented in a number of places), various internet genealogies (always a problem where accuracy is concerned), etc. I haven't done exhaustive research on these lines, although that is a goal of mine.

I have 13 people named Robert Hicks born between 1580 and 1859 in the study database I use to try to track relationships, and I'm sure there are several others I could also add who belong to these various lines.

Concerning John Hicks, one of that name (who d. after Sep. 1728 in Surry Co. VA and was prob. born there as well) mar. Rebecca Rives and had 6 ch., including a son Robert who mar. Mary unk. This John Hicks was the son of a Robert Hicks Sr. and Winifred Evans, which couple also had a son whom I call Capt. Robert Hicks, the Indian trader who mar. Frances House and had perhaps 11 children. Although Carol Morrison has said that Robert Sr. and Capt. Robert are the same person who mar. first Winifred Evans and then Francis (House), the website http://www.virginians.com mentions a patent in Charles City Co. VA which identifies Robert Sr. as a tailor, apparently to distinguish him from Capt. Robert who traded with the Indians. The records of this Surry/Brunswick Co. VA family require more study. Where Rebecca Rives is concerned, I have her as the dau. of Timothy Rives b. ca. 1670 probably in Surry Co. VA (mar. Judith unk.), son of William Rives Sr.b. 1636 in England (mar. Elizabeth unk.), son of Timothy Rives d. Sep 1643 in England (mar. Elizabeth unk.) - I believe this line was from http://users.erols.com/someday/rives.html and possibly from the data of J. Rives Childs, author of Reliques of the Rives.

Another John Hicks (b. 1679, d. ca. 1730) mar. Eleanor Butler (whose maiden name may have been Ellison, not Butler) and had ch. including the Robert Hicks who was baptized in NY in 1713, mar. Sarah Revis (Reavis/Reeves/etc. - another very confusing surname), and raised a large family in Granville Co. NC; this is the Hicks-Doughty line of Hempstead, NY.

I don't think either of the above John Hicks families have been connected to the Robert Hicks of Edenton and Sandy Point, Chowan Co. NC; this Robert was the precinct registrar of Chowan Co. NC and does appear on many deeds. He married Esther Luten and had two children, Thomas (b. ca. 1710, mar. Elizabeth Jordan; this is my line) and Mary (mar. Daniel Halsey). I placed the marriage of Robert Hicks and Esther Luten about 1686 in Chowan Co. NC and believe that Esther was one of the oldest children of Maj. Thomas Luten (and Mary Currier?). Esther Luten was probably b. ca. 1673 and still alive in 1754. I saw Larry's mention of Africa McGregory d. 1711 as the first wife of this Robert Hicks, but I have no info on her or any children she may have had and have not yet studied this possibility. But note that this Robert Hicks left a will in Chowan Co. NC dated 25 Nov 1733 which was probated January 1734, so I don't believe he died in 1738 or 1739 as stated elsewhere, unless these will and probate dates have been given incorrectly (the ref. is NC Hist. and Gen. Register, v. I, p. 49; note that an abstract of this will in Boddie's Historical Southern Families v. 5 is partially incorrect). The descendants of this Robert's son Thomas Hicks include the Hicks families of Montgomery Co. NC and Hickman Co. TN, and most of the Hicks families of Fayette Co. IL and Carroll Co. TN (18th district, not those in the 8th district). This line is connected to Jordan and Butler families in several different generations.

The Samuel Hicks mentioned by Debra is prob. the one who mar. Diana Willis; her surname Willis is used as a given name in subsequent generations of Samuel's line, so you can generally be confident that anyone named Willis Hicks is a descendant; people named Bishop Hicks are also usually descendants of this Samuel. I have seen much data on this Granville Co. NC family, but have not added them to my database. Some of their descendants include some of the Hicks family of Carroll Co. TN (those in the 8th district, but not the ones in the 18th district who are allied with the Butler families).

My overall view of all these lines is that earlier researchers have sometimes mixed up different people of the same name (especially Robert), sometimes applying data to a single person which actually applies to more than one person, and also perhaps creating two people when there really may have been only one. I have to remember that data which does not reference original records may be inaccurate or even fictional; Abstracts of wills, deeds, etc. which may also be incomplete or inaccurate. Even transcriptions which are supposed to be word-for-word can't really be trusted, if you want to be absolutely certain. At the same time, much good work has already been done and provides a great basis for further research.

Re: Robt Hicks of Granville CO NC baptised in 1713

Iva Narvaez (View posts)
Posted: 20 Dec 2005 2:58PM GMT
Surnames: Altenbaumer, Bowzer, Crain, Hicks, Burton, Laster and more.
I am descended from Thomas Hicks and Elizabeth Jordan also.My line goes:
Thomas b 1709 m. Elizabbeth Jordan
Daniel b 1739 m Lucy Butler
Littleberry b 1765 m Agnes Jordan
Gilbert b 1807 m Elizabeth Allen
etc down to me. Gilbert was my gggrandfather.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions