Search for content in message boards

Merriman/Merryman's Vermillon, LA/Galveston, TX connection

Merriman/Merryman's Vermillon, LA/Galveston, TX connection

btrouton (View posts)
Posted: 6 Nov 2005 12:28AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Merriman/Mouton
Looking for any info on A L Merriman, Newton Merriman, Edward Merriman, or any Merriman's that migrated from Vermillon, LA, to Galveston, Tx in the middle 1800's. A L was possibly Aborn Merriman. A L's wife was Emily Mouton, children were Odelia, Mary, Tolbert, Mansel, Edward, Allice, Sarah, Newton, and William. Newton F Merriman was my great-grandfather. He was married to Henrietta (Tenie), and they had 8 or 9 children in Galveston, Tx. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Merriman/Merryman's Vermillon, LA/Galveston, TX connection

BeverlyJosephson (View posts)
Posted: 26 Aug 2010 1:07AM GMT
I am also looking for information on the Merriman's. A.L. was my gggrandfather. My gg grandmother was Mary A. Merriman Sawyers. A.L. was born abt. 1824 in Louisiana. I have information on the Moutons and would be happy to share. The story in the family is that A.L. built the first cotton gin in Galveston. I have not been able to confirm that. The Moutons came to La., from Marseille France via Canada. Let me know if you want more information on the Mouton's.

Posted: 16 Sep 2010 10:26PM GMT
You may already have this information since your posting of 2005. My G G grandmother was MARY A. MERRIMAN SAWYERS. Her father was A.L. (I believe his given name was ABORN)MERRIMAN. His Father was EDWARD MERRIMAN b: 18 Sept. 1800 at St. Martinville Louisiana. He married ELIZABETH LYONS 28 June 1822. Their children were AUGUSTUS. MARTHA, MARY ANN, AND ABORN. EDWARD'S father was JOHN I. MERRIMAN born 1775 in Ireland. He married MARY ANN BERWICK 10 June 1793. JOHN'S father was EDWARD MERRIMAN born 1750 in Great Britian. he married ELIZABETH PELKENTON
I hope this helps. family lore is that A.L. built the first cotton gin in Galveston, Texas. Do you have any information on that?

glassgam (View posts)
Posted: 7 Jan 2011 4:08AM GMT
Surnames: Merriman
If you are still looking for Merriman answers after all these years please check out my family tree GLASS-GAMMELL. A. L. (Aborn Lyons) Merriman was married to Alisse Mouton and had four children Adelia, Mary A.,Tolbert and Mansel. Aborn's brother, Mansel, married Emily Mouton, and he is the father of Edward, Elizabeth, Alice, Sarah, Newton and William. Mansel was gone by the 1860 census and it appears that A. L. was taking care of hs brothers family. Aborn's wife, Alisse (Alice) s gone by the 1870 censsus (probably did giving birth to Mansel) ad the 1870 census shows Aa blended family, Aborn still taking care of his brother Mansel's family. I don't think Aborn and Emily ever married as Aborn married Mary Theresa Johnson, a widow, in 1873, and they went on to have five children. Hope this helps. Thanks, Cheryl Gammell

Posted: 8 Jan 2011 10:27PM GMT
I am sorry, I just read your message and I don't remember if I responded to your query or not. This is what I think is the answer to some of your questions. A.L. Merriman was Aborn Merriman. There is a question about whether or not Emily or Alice Mouton was his wife. Three Merriman brothers married three Mouton sisters.
I have the names of the same children. If I can be of any further help, please let me know. Thank You

dtmeagle (View posts)
Posted: 9 Jun 2012 12:56AM GMT
Hi. I read your posts w/ interest because apparently we are cousins. My GGGF was also Aborn Lyons Merriman. His son, Mansel, fathered Jessie Tolbert Merriman my GF. I am especially interested in our GGGM, Celeste Alisse Mouton's family. There is a great account of their struggles during Le Grand Dérangement at this site:
http://www.acadiansingray.com/Appendices-ATLAL-MOUTON.
htm
I would be very interested in sharing any info regarding the Moutons. Thanks
Dan Merriman

Posted: 10 Jun 2012 12:30AM GMT
A.L. (Aborn) MERRIMAN and his brothers Mancel and William married sisters Emily, Alice and Adele MOUTON.
The father to Aborn, Mancel and William was Edward,II born 18 Sept 1800. He married Elizabeth LYONS on 18 June 1822. Elizabeth was born 20 Nov. 1802, she died 16 June 1834.
Edward's father was John I. MERRIMAN born 1775. John married Mary Ann Berwick 10 June 1793. John Died 1812. Mary Ann BERWICK born 1769 parents were Thomas BERWICK born 1740 in Philadelphia, married 14 April 1768 died 28 March 1789 and Eleanor WALLACE born 14 August 1748 in Dublin and Died 15 Oct 1815. Eleanor's father was William WALLACE.
John I. BERWICK parents were Edward I Merriman,I, and Elizabeth PELKENTON both born in 1750
I hope that helps.

Posted: 10 Jun 2012 12:59AM GMT
Hi Cuz, Apparently we are also cousins to Steve Cormier who posted that Acadians in gray. He was a fount of knowledge. I was very confused and apparently I had every right. 3 MERRIMAN brothers married 3 MOUTON sisters. The story in the family was that A.L. (Aborn) built the first cotton gin in Galveston.

And now I am confused again I understood that A.L. married Amelie, but may have been married to Alisse first and then Amelie . In the 1860 Census I have A.L Merriman Alice, Celeste, Mary and Tolbert, and then Emily Mouton, Elizabeth, Edward, Alice, Mary, Newton and William.
My GGM was Mary A. Merriman Sawyers, she was born in1859 and I understood that her father was A.L. Merriman. If you can untangle this family knot I would appreciate it.

dtmeagle (View posts)
Posted: 10 Jun 2012 4:20AM GMT
It is confusing. Celeste Alisse was Aborn's first wife. Next he and Emily, Augustus' wife combined families as each of their first spouses passed. It appears to have been convenience based as they never married and Aborn later married Mary Theresa Johnson (Morgan) a widow. There is a bunch of Morgan's in Fort Worth in our line. Some of the census showed all of Aborn's and Augustus' kids in one household along w/ some cousins. Mansel was born in 1862 so he wasn't on the 1860 census. Celeste was his spouse and Emily was Augustus widow and the rest their kids. Have you seen this on the Moutons? http://www.acadiansingray.com/Appendices-ATLAL-MOUTON.htm
How do I get on the guys family tree listed? Thanks for your info.

glassgam (View posts)
Posted: 10 Jun 2012 4:42AM GMT
A. L. and Emily were never married. A. L. had four children with Alice. They were Adelia, Mary A., Tolbert and Mansel. Emily married Mansel and had Elizaabeth, Edward, Alice, Sarah (Mary), New F. and William. Mansel and Emily can be viewed in the 1850 census with Elizabeth. By the 1860 census, Mansel has disappeared and his family, headed by Emily, lis the next family listed after A. L. and Alice. Then in 1870 Alice has disappeared and A. L. has relocated his family and Mansel's family to Texas. It looks as though A. L. and Emily form a family unit and had all those children, but if you separated out the two sets of children, you will see two families. A. L.took care of Mansel's family. In 1873 he married Mary Johnson and they went on to have five children. I do not believe that A. L. and Emily were married. He just took care of them.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions