Search for content in message boards

Parents of Lorenzo Dow Chamberlin?

Parents of Lorenzo Dow Chamberlin?

melo126 (View posts)
Posted: 9 Feb 2008 2:48PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Chamberlin, Chamberlain, Welcher, Haskins
I am hoping for some help in solving the parentage of Lorenzo Dow Chamberlin, born in New York on 16 Apr 1810, and died on 11 May 1889 in Nebraska. He married Susan Welcher and they had 12 children.

The parentage of Lorenzo Dow Chamberlin(lain) is still under study, as there is not definitive proof as to who his parents are. From what I have gathered, the best fit is that Solomon Chamberlin is his father and Hopestill Haskins is his mother. This is drawn from several facts noted here.
-- Solomon and Hopestill had three children, of which one was named Alonzo or Lorenzo, who was the same age as our Lorenzo. There daughters were named Polly (Mary) and Electa.
-- Solomon moved from Connecticut to New York, and then westward to Missouri and Illinois due to his involvement in the Mormon Church... he was expelled from Missouri because of his beliefs. Lorenzo was also expelled from Missouri at the same time. They both moved to Illinois.
-- Solomon, in his papers writes that he had a son, Lorenzo.
-- Lorenzo named his first daughter Electa, and named another daughter Mary.

These facts define that there is a high level of probability that Lorenzo's parents are Solomon and Hopestill. Of course, solid evidence is still being sought.

I would greatly appreciate any help that anyone might be able to provide.
Please contact me via email. Thank you.

Re: Parents of Lorenzo Dow Chamberlin?

jparker194 (View posts)
Posted: 18 Feb 2008 11:49PM GMT
You ask for persons to contact you via Email, as you have in previous postings, I see, but Ancestry.com doesn't list your address, nor your name, unfortunately. However, I've corresponded with you before - you are Mel Oliveira, Email: mrmelo@mycap.rr.com. You contacted me via Email, 28 & 29 Aug & 1 Sep 2006, and I responded on 28 & 30 Aug 2006, providing you with the information shown in my Chamberlain research records here, with some suggestions for further genealogical research on your part. What I see that is new, in your posting now, is that "Solomon, in his papers writes that he had a son, Lorenzo." So, please advise me of the source for this important piece of information. Presuming that it can be shown to be authentic and accurate, this would confirm that Solomon's known son named Alonzo, b. c1810, Adams, Berkshire Co., MA (per the Family Group Record prepared by the late Chamberlain genealogist David Conrad Chamberlin, Sr.), is in fact the same person as your Lorenzo Dow Chamberlin, b. 16 Apr 1810, NY, as we have suspected, right along, was the case. For the benefit of other readers, this is Solomon(6) Chamberlain, b. 31 Jul 1788, Canaan, Litchfield Co., CT, d. 20 Mar 1863, Washington, Washington Co., UT [Joel(5), Joseph(4), Joseph(3), Clement(2), William(1) Chamberlain - Solomon was first married, 23 Oct 1809, in Pownal, Bennington Co., VT, to Hopestill "Hope" Haskins, daughter of Philip Haskins, who was the first of at least three wives, and who died, 12 Jan 1847, in "LDS Winters Quarters", Pottawattamie Co., IA, aged 59 years. Solomon Chamberlain was an early convert to and missionary of the Mormon Church. He introduced the church to Brigham Young and later was in the first party into Salt Lake, according to my sources here. A very interesting family, indeed! Solomon's second wife, Mrs. Emiline (Sheppard) Waterman, he married, 15 Jan 1846, in the Mormon city of Nauvoo, IL, and his third wife, Terressa Morse, he married in 1848, in Washington Co., UT. A fourth wife may have been Polly Haskins, but this remains uncertain. Please advise whether you have accurate records for these other wives and their known children. Also, can you identify the boys named Charles, age 17, b. MO, and Robert, age 16, b. OH, listed in Solomon's family in the 1850 Census?
Regards, Jim Parker, Email: jbparker@provide.net. I look forward to hearing back from you again.

RHolladay42 (View posts)
Posted: 10 Mar 2013 12:39AM GMT
Surnames: Chamberlain, Briggs, Redd
Robert and Charles, listed in the 1850 Utah Territory census in Cedar City or Parowan, are the sons of his third wife: Teressa Morse Briggs Chamberlain. They lived with their mother and Solomon in his cabin in the fort. See: "The Iron Mission." Also in the household was their infant half-sister Sarah Louisa Chamberlain Redd, my great grandmother.

RHolladay42 (View posts)
Posted: 10 Mar 2013 1:43AM GMT
Solomon Chamberlain knew Brigham Young and his brother Lorenzo Dow well before they became Mormon converts. They were all acquainted through the Methodist Church and it's camp meetings. Lorenzo and Brigham stayed with Solomon at his home in upstate New York on the way home from a camp meeting and Chamberlain spent the whole night expounding on the Book of Mormon. Shortly after that they joined the Church of Christ (LDS).

So, it is possible that Alonzo is Lorenzo and that the scribe who copied Solomon's memoir miswrote the name.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions