Joseph BLACK - b. 1746 VA

PAUL SMITH (View posts)
Posted: 16 Oct 2009 4:19PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 23 Oct 2009 2:02PM GMT
Surnames: BLACK, SMITH
Hello
Here is the information on my Black family Line:
#1 Joseph Black born Feb. 22, 1746 or 1747 Fredrick VA)
and his wife Jane (no known maiden surname and no
dates of birth, or death.) Joseph married Jane
in 1769 (VA?) and he died March 25, 1825 in Blount,
Tennessee.
Joseph and Jane had 6 known children.
#1 Thomas Black born 1772 in Frederick, VA
#2 Gavin Black born 1774 in Frederick, VA
#3 John Black born 1776 Frederick, VA
#4 Joseph Black Jr. born 1778 Frederick, VA
#5 NANCY BLACK born 1780 Frederick, VA
#6 ELIZABETH BLACK born about 1770 in Wythe Co VA
Died May 10, 1841 Johnson Co INDIANA and wed
Joseph A. Smith (Sr) Dec. 19, 1793 in Prince
Edward County VA - they had 9 children, all named
SMITH from 1795 to 1811 & ALL in VIRGINIA.
Joseph and Elizabeth moved from VA to INDIANA in
1828. They settled near Whiteland, Johnson County,
INDIANA. Joseph died May 6, 1847. Both he and
Elizabeth are buried "Under a Cedar Tree" in
Pleasant Grove Cemetery in Johnson County, IND.
#2 James Black was the father of Joseph Black.
James was born about 1700 in Ireland.
James Died October 30, 1776 in North Carolina.
James was married but his wife's name is UNKNOWN.
Hope this is of some help to you.
One last word there was a Black family relative that
lived in Missouri around 1870 to 1900 but no name
or genealogy is known.
REGARDS from PAUL SMITH EMAIL: LAUPME@AOL.COM

Re: Joseph BLACK

svhous (View posts)
Posted: 19 Oct 2009 2:45AM GMT
Edited: 23 Oct 2009 2:03PM GMT
Surnames: Black, Blackburn, Vance, Colville
This is very peculiar. The dates are the same as for the Joseph Black who was a delegate to the TN Constitutional Convention from Blount Co., but the children are different from the ones I have. My Joseph's sister, Elizabeth, married William Blackburn. Joseph and William fought at King's Mountain, where William was killed and Joseph distinguished himself. Joseph was guardian to some of William's children.
Both families were part of a larger group, consisting of several surnames, who migrated from Frederick Co. to Washington Co. in VA, then on to Blount Co. TN.
Joseph's wife was, supposedly, Jane Vance (one of the families in the migration).
The children I have are:
Mary, b.ca. 1770, m. William Houston
Jane, b. ca. 1780
Joseph Jr., b. 1781
these three b. VA
Ester, b. 1790
Alexander Carmichael, b. 1795

The two of whom I'm sure are Mary (married into my Houston line) and Joseph Jr., who is mentioned in the only bio I've found of Joseph.
I have lots of info on Joseph's movements, but little on his genealogy. What I have found gives his parents as John Black and Elizabeth Colville. Colvilles were another of the families who migrated together.

Would you share your sources, so that I can update my information? Thank you, Sally

rootdigers (View posts)
Posted: 21 Oct 2009 8:47PM GMT
Edited: 23 Oct 2009 2:04PM GMT
Sally I have a lot of Black history I am not a Black researcher but the family did marry into my Cox Garner Reagan lines. I also started an early family project for Dist 4 Bull Run area 1850 & before. Joseph Black and his wife moved to Anderson Co from Granger by 1830

I have a lot of history on Joseph the son of Joseph and Jane Vance. Joseph b 6/6/1781 died 5/12/1864 Anderson Co TN married Ruby Henry [this is my family connection] Ruby is a sister to my Elizabeth Henry and their father was James Henry of Blount Co.

On parents I have a few more children but not proven by me.
One you do not have listed is Rebecca b 9/4/1776 married Ahimaz Reagan who is a son of Charles & Elizabeth Henry Reagan and kin to my Henry Reagan line.

Also have a lot of data on your William Blackburn did an in depth study last year on the Blackburns of VA My direct line moved to KY his father was William and my Benjamin was a nephew of Samuel & Eleanor Province Blackburn & Benjamin Blackburn that lived in Dandridge small world.

The Black Henry Reagan Cox lines are my husbands Most of my research is son Joseph will be happy to share what I know Barbara you can contact me tnfootprints.gmail.com

svhous (View posts)
Posted: 21 Oct 2009 9:28PM GMT
Surnames: Black, Blackburn
Thank you, Barbara. I will contact you off list about the Blackburn connection, which is my direct line.
Sally Houston

PAUL SMITH (View posts)
Posted: 22 Oct 2009 4:12PM GMT
Surnames: BLACK, SMITH, HAMBRIGHT
Pardon me for being DENSE, but are we talking about the
father and mother of Elizabeth Black who married Joseph A.
Smith ON Dec. 19, 1793 in Prince Edward County Virgina?
My Elizabeth, born 1770 in Wythe Cio Virginia, had parents
of a Joseph Black and Jane (unk maiden name). I had that
Joseph Black was born Feb. 22, 1746 or 1747 in Frederick
County Virginia and DIED March 25, 1826 in Blount, TENN.
My Elizabeth had 5 brothers and sisters, born 1772 to 1780
in Frederick County Virginia. Her lone sister was Nancy Black, born 1780 in Frederick and married a JOHN H.
HAMBRIGHT UNK year and number of children.
Regards
PAUL SMITH

svhous (View posts)
Posted: 22 Oct 2009 6:39PM GMT
Edited: 23 Oct 2009 2:05PM GMT
Surnames: Black, Blackburn, Vance, Acklin, Hambright
There seem to have been several Black families in Blount Co. at the same time, both of them containing a Joseph. The dates I have for the birth and death of the one in my family are the same as the dates you have given; however, I just rechecked my sources, and they are from an internet posting with no documentation, so they may belong to a different Joseph Black.

Joseph Black who was a delegate to the first Constitutional Convention from TN in 1796, had only sisters, except for one half-brother, Samuel Newell. His sister were Jean/Jane mo.John Vance, Martha, Christian m. Christopher Acklin, and Elizabeth, m.William Blackburn (my line). Their parents were John and Elizabeth (Colville) Black (she married Samuel Newell Sr. after John died). This Joseph had the children mentioned in my previous post - of only two of which I am sure: Mary and Joseph Jr.

I hope you can find a way to sort out these families. The Black/Hambright connection seems to be a different family from my Joseph's. And Ray's "Tennessee cousins" indicates that Black's Station in Blount Co. was begun by Gavin Black, not the Joseph Black who had Black's Fort in Washington Co.,VA. All very confusing. If you sort it out, please let us all know what you find.

- Sally

rootdigers (View posts)
Posted: 22 Oct 2009 10:45PM GMT
Edited: 23 Oct 2009 2:06PM GMT
Surnames: Black, Henry, McNabb
Dont want to add to the confusion but I do have a copy of a Black family Bible it does not go way back but starts with

Joseph Black b 6/6/1781 VA d 5/12/1864 Anderson Co TN he was living in Blount Co at the time of his marriage to
Ruby Henry 8/8/1784 VA d 7/24/1849 Anderson Co TN her parents were James and Jean McNabb of Blount co TN

They had the following children James 1805 John 1811 Samuel 1816 Jane 1818 Elizabeth 1821 the Bible did document the children birth & death and who they married.

We are trying to figure out who this Joseph parents were.

Joseph BLACK - Catherine HENRY

whobegetyou (View posts)
Posted: 24 Oct 2009 10:49PM GMT
Edited: 26 Oct 2009 11:32PM GMT
Surnames: Black, Henry, Reagan
Hello, I am very interested in the information you have on the Henry and Reagan families as they connect to the Blacks as well. You reflected the birthdate of Rebecca Black who married Ahimaz Reagan as Sept 4, 1776. I have it as 1774. This would be a very important date correction if it is indeed 1776. My records reflect that Ahimas Reagan's brother John Reagan married one Martha Black but I do not know if there is a connection.

On the Henry side. Goodspeeds history of Newton Co., MO reflects that John Henry b. 1819 Blount Co., TN is the son of James Henry and Jane Black. Is James Henry related to Catherine Henry who married Joseph Black?

In the 1815 Blount County will for Wm Houston (married Mary Black) he mentions his brother-in-law James Henry. This would suggest that Jane [Black] Henry and Mary [Black] Houston were sisters.

Hopefully you may be able to tie up some loose ends. Thank you, Scott Black

Re: Nancy BLACK

whobegetyou (View posts)
Posted: 24 Oct 2009 10:57PM GMT
Edited: 26 Oct 2009 11:26PM GMT
Surnames: Black, Hambright, Smith
Paul, I believe the Nancy Black you are refering to is one Nancy Black b. 13 Aug 1763 who moved as a young girl with her parents Gavin and Juda Black to what was then Mechlenburg Co., NC in the 1770s to the area of Bullocks Creek. This area soon became York Co., SC. Nancy married John Hardin Hambright 28 Oct 1784 in York Co.,SC. The couple removed to Lincoln Co., NC and then to McMinn Co., TN where Nancy died 1 Mar 1845. The dates and her parents are reflected in the Hambright family bible page reflected in the Rev War pension record.

Interested in your information reflecting that Elizabeth may be a sister to Nancy [Black] Hambright. Hopes this helps.
Scott Black

PAUL SMITH (View posts)
Posted: 25 Oct 2009 12:28AM GMT
Surnames: BLACK, SMITH
I AM CONFUSED.
Are you speaking to me? My name is PAUL SMITH.
My 1st USA ancestor, GGGGgrand father Joseph Allen Smith,
born May 17, 1765 at sea, married an Elizabeth BLACK on
Dec. 19, 1793 near Farmville, Prince Edward County, VA.
Elizabeth had 4 brothers and 1 sister - all born in Fredrick
County Virginia between 1772 and 1800. Elizabeth was born
about 1770 inn Wythe County Virginia. Her parents left
Virginia and went to Blount County Tenn. Elizabeth's parents were Joseph Black and Martha Jane Golding.
Does this match?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions