Thanks for posting these three obits, which have helped me a great deal with these families. The first one is for Lyal Vernon Chamberlin, one of six children of Vernon Maxwell(12) Chamberlin, b. 5 Apr 1894, Muscatine, IA, d. 25 Dec 1973, there, who was married first, 11 Dec 1915 there, to Nettie Leota Chasteen, b. 3 Aug 1895, Wilton Junction, Muscatine Co., IA, d. 21 May 1930, Muscatine, IA, daughter of James & Angeline Asher (Lewis) Chasteen. The ancestral line of descent is listed in my records here as: Aaron Wilson(11), David Martin(10), Mahlon(9), Samuel(8), David(7), John(6), Lewis(5), John(4), Henry(3), John(2), Henry(1) Chamberlin - the oldest of the five original Ch'n immigrant ancestors in early New England. The next one is for Roy Wilson Chamberlin, son of Vernon's second marriage, 11 May 1832, in Aledo, Illinois, to Gladys Marie Barkalow, b. 20 Oct 1906, Muscatine, IA, d. 1986, daughter of Roy & Rosetta (Kephart) Barkalow. The third obituary, for Wanda Lee Malone, wife of Clifford L. Chamberlin - married in Columbus Junction, 6 Feb 1945 - identifies a family that had not been traced previously in my records here and is evidently unrelated to the others listed in these obits. Wanda's husband appears to be the following:
- Ancestry.com, U. S. Veterans Gravesites, Ca. 175-2006: Clifford L. Chamberlin, PFC US ARMY WWII, b. 23 Sep 1916, d. 27 Aug 1977, buried in Winfield-Scott Township Cemetery, Winfield, IA 52659.
- SSDI lists Clifford Chamberlin, SSN #480-12-0424, issued IA, of Homestead, Miami-Dade Co., FL, Zip 33030, b. 23 Sep 1916, d. Aug 1977.
Although the ages don't match exactly, Clifford is probably the same person identified in these census records:
- 1900 Census, Elm Grove Twp., Louisa Co., IA, Frank Chamberlin, p. 59B, #96/97, 14 Jun 1900, head, age 31, b. Apr 1869, married 10 years, farmer, owns, IL/PA/VA; Ellen, wife, age 31, b. Aug 1868, married 10 years, 3 children, 3 living, IA/PA/PA; Nettie V., daughter, age 10, b. Apr 1890, at school, IA/IA/IA; Harry J., son, age 7, b. Nov 1892, at school, IA/IA/IA; Sarah L., daughter, age 5, b. Dec 1894, at school, IA/IA/IA; George W., father, age 74, b. Dec 1825, married 53 years, farm laborer, PA/PA/PA; Eliza H., mother, age 73, b. Mar 1827, married 53 years, 10 children, 7 living, WV/WV/WV
- 1920 Census, Elm Grove, Louisa Co., IA, Harry Chamberlain, p. 202A, #87/88, 15 Jan 1920, head, age 27, rents, laborer - gen farm, IA/IL/IA; Alma, wife, age 25, IA/PA/MO; Floyd, son, age 6, IA/IA/IA; Earl, son, age 4 7/12, IA/IA/IA; Clifford, son, age 3 9/12, IA/IA/IA; Dallas, son, age 1 3/12, IA/IA/IA
Listed next door:
- 1920 Census, Elm Grove, Louisa Co., IA, Frank Chamberlain, #86/87,15 Jan 1920, head, age 51, farmer - gen farm, IL/PA/VA; Ellen, wife, age 51, IA/PA/PA; Cora, daughter, age 18, IA/IL/IA
So, tracing this family on back in census records to 1850 shows that Clifford is one of five identified children of Harry J. Chamberlin, b. Nov. 1892, prob. Elm Grove Twp., Louisa Co., IA and his wife Alma. Harry J. is the one of four identified children of Frank W. Chamberllin, b. Apr 1869, IL, prob. Canaan Twp., Henry Co., IL and his wife Ellen. Frank W. is one of ten identified children of George W. Chamberlin, b. Dec. 1825, Pennsylvania, died after 1900
Here are census data for George W. Chamberlin (or Chamberlain):
- 1840 Census - no Ch'n's listed in Hancock Co., VA
- 1850 Census, New Manchester, Hancock Co., VA (now West Virginia), Geo. Chamberlain, p. 299, #128/128, 27 Jul 1850, age 24, laborer, b. PA; Eliza, age 23, b. VA; Menard F., age 1, b. VA,
- 1860 Census, Vermont, Fulton Co., IL, G. W. Chamberlin, p. 290, #2123/2050, 3 Aug 1860, age 35, farmer, -/$600, b. PA; Eliza, age 33, b. VA; Minard F., age 10, school, b. VA; Samuel F., age 8, school, b. VA; Lois I., age 7, school, b. VA; Stanley F., age 5, b. VA; Viola M., age 2, b. IL
- 1870 Census, Canaan Twp., Mount Pleasant P. O., Henry Co., IA, George W. Chamberlin, p. 145A, #137/145, 14 Jun 1870, age 44, farmer, $1800/$150, b. PA, U. S. Citizen; Eliza H?, age 43, keeping house, b. WV; Minard F., age 27, at home, b. WV, U. S. Citizen; Samuel F., age 18, at home, attends school, b. WV; Lois I., age 16, at home, b. WV; Stanley F., age 14, at home, attends school, b. WV; Viola M., age 12, at home, attends school, b. IL; George B., age 5, b. IL; Eliza J., age 3, b. IL; Ulisses F., male, age 2, b. IL
- 1880 Census, Scott, Henry Co., IA, George Chamberlin, p. 216B, head, age 54, farmer, PA/NY/MD; Eliza H., wife, age 53, keeping house, VA/PA/VA; George, son, age 15, at home, IL/PA/VA; Jennie, dau., age 13, at home, IL/PA/VA; Frank W., son, age 12, at home, IL/PA/VA
This Chamberlain/lin family does not appear in my extensive Ch'n lineages here, which list many dozens of other persons named George W. Chamberlain or Chamberlin. Thus additional intensive effort, including the possibility of DNA testing for a surviving male descendant who still carries this surname, will be required to identify the ancestry. Please contact me via Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
, for further information & discussion, if desired, James B. Parker. Thanks again for posting these three obituaries.