Search for content in message boards

LOVING FAMILY IN KY

LOVING FAMILY IN KY

Jerwyn Jones (View posts)
Posted: 8 Dec 2002 7:05PM GMT
Isaac, John and Gabriel Loving of KY appear, on the surface ,to be related. The first Loving in KY seems to be John Loving who appears in records in Madison Co 4-22-1789. In 1800 John and Isaac are on the tax list for Garrard Co which was formed largely from Madison Co. They are the only Lovings I could find in KY in 1800. On 3-9-1805 William Loving married Christina Riffe in Lincoln Co. The southwest corner of Garrard Co was taken from Lincoln Co. Family files on the internet show William as the son of Gabriel. This seems to place John (who might possiby have been the oldest of the 3), Gabriel who was reportedly born about 1750 in VA, and Isaac who was born about 1764 in VA.in the same vicinity in central KY in 1800 to 1805. By 1810 Gabriel (45+) is in Hopkins Co, John (45+) is three counties away in Warren Co, while Isaac (born abt 1764) is the only Loving remaining in the eastern half of KY., living in Jessamine Co. which joins Garrard Co on the north. I hope someone will know something about these 3 (and their possible relationship) and thus provide some clue as to the ancestry of Isaac Loving who is my direct ancestor. I have just begun to research the Loving line and know very little. I have seen files on the internet on Gabriel and his ancestry, but nothing on John or Isaac.

By 1830 Isaac had moved to Laurel Co and is living next door to sons Joshua and Nimrod. He and wife unknown had a daughter Milly (my ancestor) who was married to William Taylor on 12-7-1821 in Knox Co by minister Thomas Robinson. The Woods Creek area of Knox Co where Isaac lived became Laurel Co with the formation of Laurel in 1825. Isaac had 3 others daughters (per 1810 Census) about which I know nothing. Apparently Milly (who was 40-50 in the 1840 Laurel Census) died sometime after the birth of Elisha (about 1842) and before census taking time in 1850, because William and the rest of the family are in the 1850 Census but William has no wife.

William Taylor and Milly Loving had children Bartheny, Sarah, John, Nancy, Levicy, Levi, and Elisha. Daughter Sarah (my ancestor) married Alfred Garrett Whitt and their daughter Sophrania Jane Whitt married John R. Jones-my line. Taylor researchers might be interested to know that in the 1840 Laurel Census only the Caleb Philips household (which could have been across the road) is listed between William Taylor and the Nimrod Loving and Isaac Loving households, and also that William Taylor was a witness at the wedding of Joshua Loving and Syntha Henson on 1-11-1829. Unfortunately, I have not been able to find anything on William Taylor's ancestry.

Any information which could provide clues as to Isaac Loving's ancestry or on who his wife might have been would be much appreciated.

Re: LOVING FAMILY IN KY

Glovings (View posts)
Posted: 31 Dec 2002 1:02AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 31 Dec 2002 1:05AM GMT
Surnames: Isaac Lovins
Hello, my name is Garl Lovings, and I have been researching isaac as well. I have listed living in Isaacs household, I think in the 1840 census as Jarvis being listed in the household as well. jarvis is my great-great grandfather, and I am trying too find out as well. Yu shed alot of light on Isaac that I did not know. I also am told his son is buried in Conrad, Ky. Near there, on a topo map, there is also a place called Lovins, also Lovins branch, and there is also a cemetery called Lovins/Harper. There is also Grant Lovins/Lovings buried in the walnut grove cemetery in Pongo Ky, not far from
Conrad. I am also interested in Isaac, as if he were Jarvis' dad, he would have been almost 70 as Jarvis was boern in 1835. The census has them listed as living in the same household. They say that Isaac was born in 1764? in Va. but where did this info come from? I am very close to finding out where these people are buried, and I would like to know if Isaac was Jarvis real father, or family guardian. Any info that you have would be appreciated, and I will help if I can Thankyou very much for this info, as it has been very helpful in realizing the geography. I live in Richmond, ky, and would be willing to help in any research that you need. Respectfully, Garl Lovings

Glovings (View posts)
Posted: 31 Dec 2002 1:07AM GMT
This is Garl, I replyed to your query, but the e-mail that I had was not updated, if you wish to contact me, do so at: garl22000@yahoo.com Thanks!

Jerwyn Jones (View posts)
Posted: 31 Dec 2002 10:54PM GMT
Garl, I am glad to see somone else researching Isaac Loving. The 1850 Laurel Co KY Census shows Isaac Loving, 86, born VA. A typed copy of this Census with notes added show Isaac as a "Rev. War Vet." This copy is at the Laurel County Public Library at London. Additionally, there is a posting on the internet quoting Judge Littrel as writing in regard to Isaac Loving that "on file in Rockcastle, Ky made 3 Apr 1852 before Thomas Smith, justice of the peace, in which James Arnold stated that he was 67 years old last February (b. Feb. 1775) Loving was then a resident of Laurel Co. Ky and the two had previously resided in Rockingham Co., NC." The most likely purpose of such a statement would have been in support of a Revolutionary War Pension application. The Laurel County Historical Society in London has a copy of Judge Littrell's old letters relating to different Laurel Co. families and I will take a look at this the next time I am there. I live in nearby Corbin, KY. By the way, Rockingham Co, NC would place Isaac Loving on the common migratory path VA>NC>KY.
An original image of the 1840 Laurel Census shows Isaac Loving, 70-80, with a female 60-70 in the household who would appear to be his wife. There were no other males in the household. This would seem to indicate that Isaac was not the father of Jarvis Lovins. This leaves only Nimrod and Joshua anywhere in the entire SE KY area who are likely candidates as father of Jarvis. The 1860 Laurel Census has Jarvis as 27 and the 1870 Clay Co Census has him 38. The differences can be caused by how early or late in the year the census was actually taken. I can't explain why the 1880 Clay Census has him 51. My best guess is that he was born in the summer of 1832. In the 1840 Census he should have been 5 to 10. In the 1840 Laurel Census Nimrod Loving is 20-30, with wife 20-30, 2 males under 5 and 1 male 10-15. In the same Census we find Joshua Loving, 30-40, wife 20-30, with 2 males under 5, 1 male 5-10, and 1 male 10-15. Joshua is at this time married to second wife Nancy Burdine. They married 13 July 1836. I would guess that wife Cynthia Henson must have died. Joshua and Cynthia were married 03 Jan 1829. I have not been able to find Jarvis Lovins in the 1850 Census. Nor could I find Nimrod Loving. In the 1850 Pulaski Co Census, Joshua Lovins has sons Jacob and Jeremiah who could have been the 2 males under 5 in 1840. He also has son Wiley who could have been 10 to 15 in 1840. This leaves the 1840 male 5 to 10 unaccounted for. He could have died or left home to go out on his own. Or, he could have remained behind in Laurel Co when the family moved to Pulaski. I would give better than even odds that the "missing" male is Jarvis-but I wouldn't bet much money on it. As you know, Jarvis married Malinda Roark on July 22, 1855, and after living a few years in Laurel Co., they moved to Clay Co and appeared to "take root" there. Jarvis Lovins was on the Clay Co Tax Rolls at least as late as 1894. I have done no further research on this.
My particular interest in Jarvis Lovins relates to a William Taylor who was living in the Jarvis Lovins household in 1860. I strongly suspect (but do not know) that this William Taylor was my direct ancestor who married Milly Loving, daughter of Isaac Loving and unknown wife, and sister of Joshua Loving and Nimrod Loving. William Taylor sold two pieces of property on Woods Creek in the 1850's and the only likely William Taylor whom I could find in the 1860 Census was the one mentioned above.
I have completely struck out on finding cemetery records in any county for Isaac, his wife, or any of Isaac's children or for probable grandson Jarvis.
Since you live in Richmond, KY, there are a couple of things which might be explored in that area if you get the time to do it. The Madison Co. Courthouse could possibly contain some old Loving records since the first Loving in KY appears to be John Loving of Madison Co. Additionally, it is possible that the archives at EKU in Richmond could have some Loving family history, or, which is more likely, some Revolutionary War Records which might shed some light on Issac.
I hope something in this lengthy response is helpful.
Jerwyn

TammiZiccardi (View posts)
Posted: 8 Apr 2009 4:40PM GMT
Surnames: Loving/Phillips
I am just now seeing this posting and wanted to offer a little insight. Caleb Phillips (my ggggg-grandfather) was married to Barthena Loving (reportedly a daughter of Isaac b. 1817). Caleb and Barthena were married July 17, 1831 in Laurel County, KY and had at least 10 children.

Rose Marie Mirin (View posts)
Posted: 21 Sep 2009 9:53PM GMT
Surnames: Robinson, Pratt, Hart, Loving, Eads, Splatter, Mirin, Baldinger, Hartman, Hermann, Dickman, Brown, Browne, Gugerslough, ....
I am connected through Ida Lee Loving in Kentucky; she is my grgrgdm with Della May Hart being her daughter and my grm. My email changed from mommadidit to

robinsonpratt@centurytel.net

I hope this finds those hunting for me.
Rose Marie ROBINSON Mirin

dannygilbert83 (View posts)
Posted: 10 Feb 2010 11:51PM GMT
Surnames: phillips
hi i am also off of the caleb phillips and barthena lovins line i would love to hear from you and see what you can tell me about caleb my name is sheila gilbert and my line comes off of john's line,caleb's 7th child thank you

TammiZiccardi (View posts)
Posted: 12 Feb 2010 6:29PM GMT
Surnames: Phillips/Lovins
Sheila,

Hi cousin! Great to see other Phillips family members. I had taken a break from geneology for a few months but I'm digging back into it. You are welcome to any information I have on my tree. (It is a work in progress and I am trying to make sure and verify everything contained therein but there are no guarantees :~) You can email me at: tziccardi@att.net to touch base or "friend me on Facebook - Tammi Baker Ziccardi. Talk to you soon.

Glovings (View posts)
Posted: 23 Sep 2013 4:55PM GMT
Jerwyn I know it has been a few years since I spoke with you about Jarvis. I have finally made a break thru on who his father was and it quite shocked me. I finally found a death certificate of him. His father is Ruben Lovin, who is the son of John Lovin, who is the son of Gabriel jr, wo is the son of Gabriel. Why Jarvis left Hopkins Ky and moved to Laurel county to live with his Great uncle Isaac (this would be an assumption) I just dont know. Jarvis is stated to be buried in Nortonsville, Hopkins County Ky. in the Salem cemetery there. Possibilities of John And Gabriel jr buried there as well. You sent me an excerpt of the Mountain echo of "uncle Jarvis" dying in March 1902. This is with discreption of course, as the death certificate lists 1915 as year of death. Year of birth matches, and so does Tabitha Lovins as spouse. All this fresh off the press, will update as more info comes in. The Death certificate is digital and hard to read. Hard copy coming in the mail. Thanks!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions