Search for content in message boards

Sarah Ann STUART - married James Henry GRIFFIN

Sarah Ann STUART - married James Henry GRIFFIN

emassey1 (View posts)
Posted: 30 May 2002 5:48AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 14 Feb 2005 2:52AM GMT
Surnames: Stuart, Stewart, Griffin
Mary, I have a Sarah Ann Penolia (Nola) Stuart, daugher of Lewis Stewart. Married James (Jim) Henry Griffin. I dont' have any dates on these people.

Re: Sarah Ann Stuart

MSMITH6607 (View posts)
Posted: 30 May 2002 6:14AM GMT
Edited: 17 May 2003 5:48AM GMT
Surnames: Stuart
Nora,
Right now I don't have a Sarah Ann (Penolia) Stuart, father Lewis, posted in my material. I don't think there is a connection but thanks for your reply.....Mary

Re: Stuart, Griffin, Hall, and others

lcms49 (View posts)
Posted: 30 May 2002 2:12PM GMT
Classification: Biography
Edited: 29 Sep 2004 10:42AM GMT
Surnames: Griffin, Hall, Stuart, Moxley, Beesley, Wyrosdick, Robinson, Robertson, Brooks, Ledlow
1 Unknown Griffin
..2 Jeremiah "Jere" Griffin (married Dec. 1, 1870)
...... +Elizabeth Hall
.......3 James Henry Griffin
........... +Nola Stuart
..2 Malissa Griffin 1848 - ? (born in GA)
...... +Robert H. Hall c. 1845 - ? (born in SC)
.......3 Maggie Hall 1879 -
........... +Willie Moxley
.......3 Irvin Hall (married on Feb. 9, 1901, Fairmount Church, Red Level, AL)
........... +Margiann Beesley
.......3 Della May Hall
........... +Moses Murphy Wyrosdick (his sister Mittie m. Colonel Austin Beasley)

The info above (and some below) is from the book John James Hall, His Descendants, and Other Halls from Alabama by Margarette HALL Wood. She says Jere and Malissa HALL were siblings who married siblings Elizabeth and Robert HALL.

John James "Jim" HALL, b. abt. 1844 in Ala., was my g-gf. His parents are unknown. He was "found on the side of the road" as a baby and raised by John J. "Bud" ROBINSON/ ROBERTSON and his wife on a farm near Sepulga in Conecuh Co., Ala.. Supposedly, Jim HALL was actually related to the Halls above, but exactly how is unknown, a great mystery I would love to solve. Jim HALL (married to Sarah "Sallie" Angeline BROOKS) had a son named Gabe HALL who died as a result of a blow to the head by a club carried by Maggie HALL's husband, Willie MOXLEY, Georgiana's town marshall in 1912. Jim and Gabe HALL and several others in this side of my family are buried at SELLERS Cemetery, including Sarah Brooks "Sallie" HALL STUART LEDLOW (dau. of Jim HALL), who first married John N. Stuart, brother of Nola Stuart above. I'm seeing strong ties between the families BROOKS, SELLERS, HALL, GRIFFIN, STUART, and BEESLEY/BEASLEY. I have no idea how John ROBINSON/ROBERTSON ties in. Another mystery.

jerrywfowd (View posts)
Posted: 3 Jul 2002 10:34AM GMT
Edited: 17 Nov 2003 4:16PM GMT
Surnames: Griffin, Stuart, Hall, Henry
I am the granddaughter of James Henry Griffin and Sarah Ann Penola Stuart, known as Jim and Nola. My g-gf was Jeremiah M, Griffin he was married to Melissa Elizabeth Hall. Yes, her brother Robert Hall married Malissa Griffin. I know that Jerry and Malissa's parents were John C. Griffin and Delilah Henry. I know very little about the Griffins or the Halls but interested in learning all I can. Where can you obtain the book John James Hall, His Descendants and Other Halls from Al. by Margarette Hall Wood. I have some info on the Stuarts.

emassey1 (View posts)
Posted: 3 Jul 2002 10:47PM GMT
Edited: 14 Feb 2005 2:52AM GMT
Surnames: Stuart, Griffin, Hall
I would also be interested in the book "John James Hall". If anyone knows where I may obtain it, please notify me.
I'm researching the Wilkerson link to this family. Nola Stuart was g.grandmother to my children. I just recently found the following information.
----------------------------------------------------
Griffin - Stuart
Sarah Ann(Nola) Stuart,1831 - 1943
daughter of Lewis A. Stuart and Sarah Ann Parker

James Henry Griffin, 1874 - 1959
son of Jerry Griffin and Elizabeth (Lizzie) Hall
------------------------------------------------------
Tommie if you would like to compare notes, please contact me at emassey@gci.net Thanks!

OBIT: Mrs. R.H. HALL (Matilda GRIFFIN)

Irishsttr2 (View posts)
Posted: 25 Jan 2004 1:18PM GMT
Classification: Obituary
Edited: 13 Nov 2004 1:22PM GMT
Surnames: Hall, Wyrosdick, Parker, Hall, Moxley, West
IN MEMORY OF MRS. R. H. HALL [from the Butler Co. News 3-31-1927]
On March the 18th Our Heavenly Father saw fit to remove from our midst to heaven, our dear Grandmother.
She was an honest and upright Christian, a devoted mother and an excellent neighbor and friend to all. She won her friends by her acquaintances and if she had any enemies on earth, they were unknown.
Grandmother was 87 years of age and leaves to mourn her loss four children: Mrs. M.M. WYROSDICK of Georgiana, Route Six; Mrs. Lambert PARKER of Red Level; Mr. I.P. HALL of Georgiana, Mrs. Maggie MOXLEY of Tuscumbia, and a grandson who loved her most dearly, Charlie WEST, and a host of relatives and friends.
All was done for Grandmother that loving hands, kind friends, and doctor could do, but God saw fit to take her to his heavenly home.
A place is vacant in the home
A voice on earth is stilled
She is gone--but not forgotten.
She is only sleeping, so dear ones prepare to meet her in heaven above. We know it seems to be more than one can bear, but we know that the all-wise father has taken her home to that city that is made of gold; so just prepare yourselves in this world and meet her in the better world to come, where there is no pain or sorrow known.
"She is gone to Christ above
Forever there to reign."
Our loss is great; the breech is great, and it doth create much grief as all may see.
But lamentations shall cease as God thought it best to take her soul from here, away to its resting place.
------------------------
Note by CMS: Mrs. R. H. HALL was Matilda GRIFFIN.

Re: Correction: GRIFFIN / HALL obit

Irishsttr2 (View posts)
Posted: 9 Mar 2005 5:59PM GMT
Classification: Census
Surnames: Griffin, Hall, Stuart, Stewart, Brooks, Moxley, West
Mrs. R. H. HALL in the obit I posted was Melissa GRIFFIN Hall, not Matilda. Sorry for the error (and no one corrected me).

I am trying to gather information on my BROOKS family and researching a STEWART/STUART connection. I became interested in the family of John Nathan STUART who married my g-aunt Sarah Brooks HALL in 1905. I found him next door to Melissa Griffin HALL in 1900.

1900 Butler Co. Ala. Precinct 2 Shell June 25, 1900 ED 11 Sheet 15B
250/250 HALL, Malissa head Oct 1848 51 Wd. 7/4 Ga Ky Va. Farmer
Irvin son w m Mar 1878 22 Ala Ga. Ga. Farm laborer
MOXLEY, Maggie dau Mar 1879 21 Ala Ga Ga
MOXLEY, Willie s-in-law Sept 1873 27/26 Ga. Virginia Virginia farm laborer
HALL, M. Della dau Feb 1887 13 Ala. Ga Ga
WEST, Charlie g-son May 1896 4 Ala Ga Ga

[Willie Moxley above killed my g-uncle Gabe Hall in 1912. Gabe was the brother of Sally Brooks Hall who became the second wife of John Nathan Stuart.]

251/251 STUART N. John head w m Aug. 1874 25 M2 Ala Ala Ala Farmer
H. Mary wife w f Jan 1879 21 M2 2/2 Ala Ala Ala
B. Clara daugh June 1898 1
C. Lewis son Aug. 1899 ?/12

[On the next page I found]
Griffin Berichias June 1843 M33 Ga Ga Ga
P. Ellen wife Dec 1848 M33 13/11 Ala SC SC
Reubin son Feb 1878 Ala Ga Ala.
Carrie/Connie? dau Oct 1882
E. Ninna dau Dec 1884
Stella Feb 1887
H. Jones Dec 1888
R Thadeus Aug 1892?

I thought he might be related to Malissa GRIFFIN Hall, so I looked for him earlier and found him and his family in 1850, 1860, and 1880.
-----------------------
Name: John C Griffin Age: 41 Estimated birth year: abt 1809 Birth place: Georgia Gender: Male Home in 1850 (City,County,State): Division 90, Warren, Georgia
Page: 177 Roll: M432_86

John C Griffin Division 90, Warren, GA abt 1809 Georgia
Delila J Griffin Division 90, Warren, GA abt 1809 Georgia
Amanda Griffin Division 90, Warren, GA abt 1829 Georgia
Mary A R Griffin Division 90, Warren, GA abt 1830 Georgia
Margaret Griffin Division 90, Warren, GA abt 1841 Georgia
Jane Griffin Division 90, Warren, GA abt 1835 Georgia
Elizabeth Griffin Division 90, Warren, GA abt 1838 Georgia
John H Griffin Division 90, Warren, GA abt 1841 Georgia
***Barachias J. Griffin Division 90, Warren, GA abt 1843 Georgia
Saml l Griffin Division 90, Warren, GA abt 1846 Georgia
***Melissa Griffin Division 90, Warren, GA abt 1848 Georgia
-----
Database: 1860 United States Federal Census

Name Home in 1860(City,County,State) Age in 1860 Estimated Birth Year Birthplace Gender View Image

John C Griffin Eastern Division, Barbour, AL 50 1809 Georgia Male
Delilah J Griffin Eastern Division, Barbour, AL 50 1809 Georgia Female
John H Griffin Eastern Division, Barbour, AL 19 1840 Georgia Male
***Barikias Griffin Eastern Division, Barbour, AL 17 1842 Georgia Male
Samuel E Griffin Eastern Division, Barbour, AL 14 1845 Georgia Male
***Jeremiah Griffin Eastern Division, Barbour, AL 10 1849 Georgia Male
Sarah Griffin Eastern Division, Barbour, AL 7 1852 Georgia Female
***Malissa Griffin Eastern Division, Barbour, AL 12 1847 Georgia Female
-----
Source Information: 1880 US Census Place Oaky Streak, Butler Co., Alabama Family History Library Film 1254004 NA Film Number T9-0004 Page Number 501C

Name Relation Marital Status Gender Race Age Birthplace Occupation Father's Birthplace Mother's Birthplace
*Jeremiah GRIFFIN Self M Male W 28 GA Farmer --- ---
Elizabeth GRIFFIN Wife M Female W 30 AL K. House --- ---
Lee GRIFFIN Dau S Female W 9 AL --- ---
*James H. GRIFFIN Son S Male W 6 AL --- ---
Atten GRIFFIN Dau S Female W 2 AL --- ---
John R. GRIFFIN Son S Male W 6M AL --- ---

Delila GRIFFIN Self Female W 73 GA --- ---
Robert HALL Self M Male W 35 SC Farmer --- ---
**Malisa HALL Wife M Female W 32 GA K. House --- ---
James HALL Son S Male W 10 AL --- ---
Evie HALL Dau S Female W 7 AL --- ---
Harrett HALL Dau S Female W 5 AL --- ---
Unin HALL Son S Male W 4 AL --- ---
Magie HALL Dau S Female W 2 AL --- --- [Moxley]
Sarah POLK Dau Female W 37 AL --- ---

[and B.J. below is Berichias/Barakias]

Source Information: 1880 US Census Place Oaky Streak, Butler, Alabama Family History Library Film 1254004 NA Film Number T9-0004 Page Number 501D
Name Relation Marital Status Gender Race Age Birthplace Occupation Father's Birthplace Mother's Birthplace
*B. J. GRIFFIN Self M Male W 37 GA Farmer --- ---
Ellen GRIFFIN Wife M Female W 32 AL K. House --- ---
Ider GRIFFIN Dau S Female W 12 AL --- ---
Etter GRIFFIN Dau S Female W 10 AL --- ---
John GRIFFIN Son S Male W 8 AL --- ---
Columbus GRIFFIN Son S Male W 6 AL --- ---
Cordeliar GRIFFIN Dau S Female W 4 AL --- ---
Rubin GRIFFIN Son S Male W 2 AL --- ---
Salener GRIFFIN Dau S Female W 6M AL --- ---
-------------------
Jeremiah GRIFFIN married Elizabeth Hall (sister of Melissa's husband Robert H. HALL) on Dec. 1, 1870 in Butler Co. Their son James H. GRIFFIN married Nola STUART, sister of John Nathan STUART.

Nola and John STUART's mother was Sarah Ann PARKER Stuart, daughter of John and Charity Parker. Their father was Lewis or Louis C. Stuart. Sarah Ann Parker STUART and Lewis C. STUART are buried at South Butler Cemetery.

Corrections are always welcomed!

Obit: Mrs. Nola GRIFFIN (1943)

Irishsttr2 (View posts)
Posted: 14 Sep 2005 12:47PM GMT
Classification: Obituary
Surnames: GRIFFIN, Wilkerson, Steele, STUART, Hudson, Davis, Martin, Wyrosdick, Odom, Watford, Cook, Johnson, Hester
DEATHS
Mrs. Nola GRIFFIN
On Saturday night June 26 at 12:30 the death angel entered the home of Mr. J. H. GRIFFIN and silently carried the precious spirit of his beloved wife, Mrs. Nola, to her home on High. Having been ill for the past three weeks, she seemed to be recovering, but on Saturday afternoon she was taken worse again. All that kind and loving hands could do was done to ease her suffering but at last the Great Physician reached out and gave her peace and rest.
Mrs. Nola will be greatly missed in our community. Always ready to help and stand by her friends and neighbors in hours of trouble. she was such a comforting person.
She leaves to grieve for her, her husband, two daughters, Mrs. Ralph WILKERSON, Mrs. Luman STEELE, both of Mobile; two sons, Lewis GRIFFIN of Cleveland, Ohio, and Selma GRIFFIN of Camp Lee, Va.; four brothers, D. W. STUART, John STUART, Hicks STUART and Audie STUART. She also leaves several grandchildren.
Burial was in Macedonia Cemetery with Rev. Huffman conducting service. Pallbearers were: Griel, Woodrow and Carl STUART, Ellis HUDSON, Jake DAVIS, Jr., and James MARTIN, all nephews of the deceased except the latter, he being her grandson.
The little flower girls were Peggy WYROSDICK, Clydie Mae ODOM, Ima Lois WATFORD, Pauline COOK, Melba STEELE, Elizabeth SIMS, Lola JOHNSON, Imogene HESTER. Johnson Funeral Service in charge.
[7-8-1943 Butler County News]

Name: Sarah A Griffin Death Date: 26 Jun 1943 Death County: Butler
Volume: 22 Certificate: 10635 Roll: 4

Re: Mrs. Nola GRIFFIN (1943) -- buried in Macedonia Cemetery

Irishsttr2 (View posts)
Posted: 14 Sep 2005 12:56PM GMT
Classification: Death
Surnames: Griffin, Stuart
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~rgibson/cemeteries/...
MACEDONIA CEMETERY
Turn eastward on Butler Co Rd. 45 (known as Mckenzie Grade). Go approx 7 miles, Macedonia Primitive Church and
Cemetery on right of road. Section 14-Township 7 Range 14..

ROW TEN

GRIFFIN
***Sarah Ann (Nola) Griffin
1831 - 1943

James Henry Griffin
1874 - 1959
--------------------------
from the Alabama Death Index at Ancestry.com
Name: James H Griffin Death Date: 19 Mar 1959
Death County: Butler
Volume: 10 Certificate: 4611 Roll: 5

Re: Mrs. Nola GRIFFIN (1943)

Irishsttr2 (View posts)
Posted: 14 Sep 2005 3:15PM GMT
Classification: Census
Surnames: Stuart, Griffin
I just noticed that Nola Stuart Griffin's birthdate on the Macedonia Cemetery listing says 1831. I believe that should be 1881.

1900 Butler Co. Alabama, Precinct 2, Shell, June 23rd, 1900, ED 11, Sheet 14B
235/235 or 89/89 (re-numbered)
Stuart, C. ___? head w m July 1878 21 Ala Ala Ala
A. Sarah Mother w f May 1850 50 Wd. 7 ch./7 living Ala. Ala. SC
*** Nola Sister w f May 1881 19 Ala Ala Ala
Frank Brother w m June 1883 16
Ordie Brother w m Nov 1885 14 [Audie?]
=================
[W. Daniel [D. W.] Stuart is nearby on p. 15A and John Nathan Stuart is nearby on page 15B

Database: 1900 United States Federal Census
Name Home in 1900 (City,County,State) Estimated Birth Year Birthplace Race Relation to Head-of-house

W Daniel Stuart Shell, Butler, Alabama abt 1873 [Feb 1873] Alabama White Head
Minie Stuart Shell, Butler, Alabama abt 1875 [Feb 1875] Alabama White Wife
B Jacob Stuart Shell, Butler, Alabama abt 1895 [Aug 1895] Alabama White Son
L Zell Stuart Shell, Butler, Alabama abt 1896 [Feb 1896] Alabama White Son
D Carl Stuart Shell, Butler, Alabama abt 1898 [Jan 1898] Alabama White Son
---
N John Stuart Shell, Butler, Alabama abt 1875 [Aug. 1874] Alabama White Head
H Mary Stuart Shell, Butler, Alabama abt 1879 [Jan 1879] Alabama White Wife
R Clara Stuart Shell, Butler, Alabama abt 1899 [June 1898] Alabama White Daughter
C Lewis Stuart Shell, Butler, Alabama abt 1900 [Aug. 1899] Alabama White Son
---------------------------------
Does anyone have an exact death date for Sarah Ann PARKER Stuart, mother of Nola Stuart? I have her death year 1935 but cannot find a death certificate listed in the Alabama Death Index at Ancestry.com..

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~rgibson/cemeteries/...
SOUTH BUTLER CEMETERY Turn down Elizabeth Rd. in front of McKenzie High School. South Butler is one mile on right.
STUART, Jacob A. Apr. 7, 1848 Sept. 3, 1884
STUART, Louis C. Aug. 18, 1837 Feb. 3, 1887
STUART, Sarah Ann Parker 1851 - 1935
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions