Search for content in message boards

USAATCA Basic Training, Fort Knox, 1959

USAATCA Basic Training, Fort Knox, 1959

Bob Wilson (View posts)
Posted: 13 Nov 2005 1:33PM GMT
Classification: Query
Anyone out there who did their Infantry and Armored basic training back then? I was in D-8-3 for Infantry Training (Company D, 8th Battalion, 3rd Regiment) from March through early May of 1959, and in D-1-1 for Armor Training
(Company D, 1st Battalion, 1st Training Regiment). through the end of May, 1959. I served under the aegis of a Critical Skills Deferment, which called for a six-year enrollment in the Army Reserve that included 3 months of Active Duty and 5-3/4 years of service in the Inactive Reserve with a unit based at Indiantown Gap, PA. It was a great deal!!!.

Re: USAATCA Basic Training, Fort Knox, 1959

higs1200 (View posts)
Posted: 23 May 2012 9:38AM GMT
Hi, I took my training at Ft.Knox in 59 except I was in "D" 13, 4. I was hoping you could give me some tools on finding some of the guys I served with. Thanks for your time,

Bob Higgins

RobertJWilsonJr (View posts)
Posted: 23 May 2012 11:13AM GMT
Bob -
Best advice I can think of is to use Yahoo! People Search where you enter the name of the person you're looking for and it goes you a list of the current addresses and phone numbers of the likely people with that name. Linked to that is also a service called Intelius which will give you a list of places where a person lived, and the person's current age. It's much more difficult to find email addresses for anyone by this method. If you are signed on to Facebook, you can do a search for the name there, as well. I've found a couple of old high school buddies via Facebook. With luck, you may find the particular person you are looking for. Of course, they won't be there if they've passed away, but this is a start. For example, several years ago I tracked down the man who I think was the Field First Sergeant in my olds 1959 Company, but this was relatively easy because he had an unusual name.
Good luck!!!!

higs1200 (View posts)
Posted: 24 May 2012 9:00AM GMT
Edited: 24 May 2012 9:02AM GMT
Thanks Bob, I appreciate the input, unfortunately at our age some of us have a bad case of CRS. I have one of the worst. Would you have any knowledge of how to obtain your graduation book with all the guys names in it? I've tried contacting Ft. Knox, after this many years they don't know who took the pictures.

Again thanks for the help, good to talk to a fellow vet,

Bob Higgins

ps - in case your wondering what CRS is "Can't Remember Shit"

jwegmann1969 (View posts)
Posted: 21 Aug 2012 7:17PM GMT
Surnames: ofsow
Hi my name is jennifer and i believe my father in law may have graduated boot camp as well in 1959. His name is david ofsow if that sounds familiar i am also trying to find graduation books as well.

RobertJWilsonJr (View posts)
Posted: 21 Aug 2012 8:30PM GMT
Jennifer -
No...he wasn't in my basic training company. Sorry...
Bob

Posted: 21 Aug 2012 8:32PM GMT
Ok thank you thought i had some luck. but good luck

higs1200 (View posts)
Posted: 21 Aug 2012 10:04PM GMT
Hi Jen, My outfit graduated July of 59. I don't remember all the guys names that's why I'm trying to locate the book. I was in 2nd platoon your father in law would probably been in 3rd or 4th if he in fact was in my unit. Again Company D, 13th Training Battalion, 4th Infantry Regiment. You referred to it as "boot camp", he may have been in the Navy or Marines. Army calls it "basic training". Hope it helps.
Hig

higs1200 (View posts)
Posted: 21 Aug 2012 10:14PM GMT
Hey Bob, I believe I got the training book from you. As I was looking through it I ran across a picture of my buddy that I joined with. They separated us because he had a nervous twitch that they didn't pick up on at our physical. So they put him in the company next door to me pending a decision of a medical discharge. Whats really funny or maybe not so funny is he got home sick and went awol before they made the decision, and wound up with a general discharge. Lost track of him over the years too. Odd how things change. Anyway thought you might be interested. Hig

Posted: 21 Aug 2012 10:50PM GMT
Surnames: ofsow
Hi yes you are correct it was referred to as "basic training" apologies. I know he went into hawk missiles when the hawks were stationed at ft. Bliss. I know he was also stationed in korea and wurzburg and kitzgen germany. hopefully someone runs across this as i am at a loss for where to turn.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions