Search for content in message boards

Mary Jane Koontz or Margaret Mary Koontz b. abt 1800 d. abt 1883

Mary Jane Koontz or Margaret Mary Koontz b. abt 1800 d. abt 1883

denisehollyday (View posts)
Posted: 21 Nov 2012 7:36PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Koontz (Kuhns), Stimmel, Ginder (Ginter)
My family records have Mary Jane Koontz (Kuhns) and Peter Stimmel (b. abt 1800 d. abt 1865) as the parents of Anne Marie "Miriah" Stimmel (b. 1833 in Ohio and d. abt 1900 in Perry County, Ohio). I hit a dead end with Mary Jane Koontz. I can't go any farther back and am confused as to whether her name was Mary Jane or Margaret. I have found census records for Peter Stimmel and Margaret and several children, but Anne Marie "Miriah" would probably be their eldest child and I never find her on census records with her parents listed. Consequently, I'm not certain this is the same Peter Stimmel, who was the father of Anne Marie "Miriah" Stimmel. Anne Marie "Miriah" Stimmel married John Ginder in Perry County, Ohio. I believe that Peter Stimmel and Mary Jane and/or Margaret Stimmel were from Pennsylvania or Maryland. My maternal grandmother always said they were Pennsylvania Dutch. Does anyone have any information about whether Mary Jane Koontz are the same or different women. Perhaps Peter Stimmel married twice. Any information would be helpful.

Re: Mary Jane Koontz or Margaret Mary Koontz b. abt 1800 d. abt 1883

wd8dcx2005 (View posts)
Posted: 22 Nov 2012 2:28AM GMT
Sorry for how long this is, but I have a Koons/Stimmel marriage around Frederick MD.... Catharine, d/o George Michael Koons.... her sister, Mary, died in Perry Co, Ohio? Might just be a coincidence, but wonder if you recognize anything here?

Steve Koons, Dayton, Ohio

Descendants of George Michael Koons

Generation No. 1

1. GEORGE MICHAEL2 KOONS (HENRY1) was born 11 Sep 1753 in Frederick Co, Maryland, and died 19 Feb 1817 in Frederick Co, Maryland. He married SUSANNAH SHROYER. She was born 1760 in Emmitsburg, Maryland?, and died 1848.

Notes for GEORGE MICHAEL KOONS:
History of Frederick County Maryland says that George, like his father was an expert blacksmith and served in that capacity during the revolutionary war.
The Fogle book says: In 1780, George Koons, a blacksmith, obtained title to a farm near Double Pipe Creek Bridge, one mile from Middleburg, then in Frederick, now Carroll County. Double Pipe Creek, now Detour, is just over the county line in Carroll County.

History of Frederick County; Page 1614:
George Koons (died 1817), married Susannah Shroyer (1760-1848), of near Emmitsburg. There were born to them eleven children, nine of whom were living when the father died in 1817, viz: Jacob, (born 1781); Henry, (1783); Margaret (Mrs. Hyder,) (1786); Mary, (Mrs. Ogborn), (1789); Catherine, (Mrs. Stimmell), (1792); Peter (1795); George, (1797); Joseph, (1800); and Susie, (Mrs. Dern), (1804).
----------------------
Saw your post of Mar '05. Have been researching the line of Ogborn/Koons with my cousin Cris Reed. Our ancestor is Mary Koons Ogborn (named in George Michael's will as Mary Ogborn).Do not have a specific document which says your Henry is s/o George Michael but do have some Frederick Co History data which lists a Henry as a son of George Michael & George Michael's will which lists a son Henry. Also, Henry later married Drusannah (Drusey) Usher. Drusey's sister, Susannah Usher, married Mary's son Joseph. These were my ggg grandparents. Followed census data for Henry & the Ogborns. Henry followed the same route to Perry Co-via Pa, Harrison Co., Oh then on to Perry. It SEEMS circumstantial but it all"fits". Henry has been easier to trace than Mary & Samuel. Both men married numerous times and I am not even sure Drusey is Henry's 2nd wife but maybe his third or fourth. George Michael's father was Henry the first. There is a will on file in Frederick Co for him as well. Can provide more info if you are interested. Sharon Chuvalas, SChuvalas@aol.com
-------------------
If you check out "HISTORY OF FREDERICK COUNTY, MARYLAND: FROM THE EARLIEST SETTLEMENTS TO THE BEGINNING OF THE WAR BETWEEN THE STATES" by T J C William ... Vol II, L R Titsworth & Co Publishers, 1910 AND the will of George Michael Koons (w Susannah Shroyer) of Frederick Co., the following family groups are named:

I. Henry Koons came from Netherlands 1730 to Frederick Co., Md. via New Jersey. Had 5 sons:
-John, settled near Sugar Loaf Mt., spelled name
KOONTZ;
-Abraham, lived near Keysville, Md;
-Henry, lived near Bruceville, Md;
-George, blacksmith, lived near Middleburg, Frederick Co
Md;
-?????

II. George (Michael) Koons, b 1753/54, d 1817, m Susannah Shroyer (1760-1848). Known children=11, only 9 alive at George's death in 1817. Children:
1-Jacob, b 1781, d 1815, m ????;
2-Henry, b 1783, d 1863, m (1) Elizabeth ca 1807, (2?)
Drusannah Usher 1840;
3-Margaret, b 1786, d 1868, m Jacob Hyter;
4-Mary, b 1789, d 1828, m1802 Samuel Ogborn;
5-Catharine, b 1792, m Daniel B Stimmel;
6-Peter, b 1795, d 1876, m 1825 Mary Ann Ott;
7-George, b 1797, d 1878, m Lydia Holtry;
8-Joseph, b 1800, d 1846, m 1830 Rebecca Shuh;
9-Susanna (Susie) b 1804, d 1840, m 1825 Isaac Dern.
Two children, names unknown, were born to this couple but were dec'd at the time of the father's death in 1817.

hope this isn't repetitive of info you already have in your file. I am descended from Mary Koons Ogborn. Sharon Chuvalas, SChuvalas@aol.com
------------------------
Will of George Koons, Frederick Co., Md., Will Docket H.S.-2-Folio 60, Dated 19 Apr 1816, Proved 10 Mar 1817. (Summary data)
In the name of God amen. I, GEORGE KOONS, of Frederick Co in this state of Maryland...do therefore make and publish this my last Will and testament...I devise and bequeath as follows:
I give and bequeath to my beloved wife ANN KOONS...should she marry again then and in that case my Will is that the land shall then be sold by my Executors...the balance to be divided in nine equal parts in the manner following, one ninth...JACOB KOONS,...HENRY KOONS,...PETER KOONS,....GEORGE KOONS,...JOSEPH KOONS,...MARY OGBORN,...MARAGRET HITER,...CATHRINE STIMMELS three children equally,WILLIAM, HARRIET, ELIZABETH,...SUZANA KOONS...Whereas my three daughters MARY OGBURN, MARGARATE HITER and CATHARINE STIMMEL have had from me the amount of two hundred dollars each, it is my will that my daughter SUSANA shall have the like sum paid to her oput of my estate...And whereas my two sons JACOB and HENRY have had one hundred dollars in horse, saddle, etc., it is my will that my three sons PETER. GEORGE, and JOSEPH shall receive from my estate one hundred dollars each to make them equal with JACOB and HENRY...I do hereby constitue and appoint my son PETER KOONS and JOSEPH TANEY to be executors...

There is quite a lengthy estate settlemt record with the final account filed by Peter Koons on Oct 1, 1849.
(from SChuvalas@aol.com
---------------------
George was b 11 Sep 1753 (11 Nov 1754), Frederick Co., Md, s/o Henry Koons I who emigrated from Palatine Germany in 1725, m Susannah (Anna ) Shroyer, d 19 Feb 1817; was a blacksmith and supposedly served in the Rev War. He secured title to a farm near Double Creek Bridge, one mile from Middleburg, then part of Frederick Co. Couple had 11 children, 9 of whom were living in 1817. Susannah was b 24 Mar 1760 near Emitsburg, Frederick Co., Md, and is supposed to have died 14 Nov 1818 (I think this was miscopied and she died 1848) and is buried Ladiesburgh Haugh. George is buried at Taneytown Reformed, Taneytown, Carroll Co., Md. (I have found them, I believe, in 1790-1810 in Fred. Co., Md census)

CHILDREN:
1-Jacob, b 1781, d 17 Mar 1815, Frederick Co., Md, buried in Koontz Church Methodist, Frederick/Carroll Co., Md. (George's will mentions Jacob's reps but does not list them by name).
2-Henry, b 1783, d 1863 Muskingum Co., Oh, m (1) Elizabeth ca 1807; (2?) Drusannah Usher, 26 Dec 1840, New Lexington, Perry Co., Oh. (Census; 1810-Derry, Westmoreland Co., Pa; 1820-Rock, Harrison Co., Oh;1830-Bearfield, Perry Co., Oh; 1840?;1850-Monroe, Perry Co., Oh -w/"Drasanna";1860-Springfield, Muskingum Co., Oh-w/"Ann";1870-"Ann" w/s Joseph, Washington, Muskingum Co., Oh; 1880-"D.A." w/d Lucretia Koons Spencer in Ward, Hocking Co., Oh. Drusannah d 16 Mar 1890, Harrison, Perry Co, Oh and is buried in the Roseville Cemetery where her stone reads Drushy Ann Koons 25 Dec 1803-16 Mar 1890, she is buried along side a son, John Koons, 1827-1888.(Not sure where Henry is buried. Assume Muskingum Co, some say Monroe, Perry Co but believe that to be a grandson's burial).
3-Margaret, b 1786, m Jacob Hyter (Hiter, Hyder), d 1868 Wood Co, Oh, buried Tiffin/Fostoria area of Ohio. (Census: 1820-Taney, Frederick Co., Md; 1830-1840-Dist 11, Frederick Co., Md; 1850-Pleasant, Seneca Co., Oh; 1860-Jackson, Seneca Co., Oh).
4-Mary,b 1789,m Samuel Ogborn ca 1802, d 21 Dec 1828, Perry Co., Oh. (Census: 1810-E Bethlehem, Wash. Co., Pa; 1820-1850-Bearfield Twp, Perry Co., Oh. Was in Harrison Co., Oh around 1813-1818 according to county history and local deeds).
5-Catharin b 1792, m Daniel B Stimmel.
6-Peter, b 1795, d 1876, m Mary Ann Ott 1825.(Census: 1820-Taney, Fred. Co., Md.; 1840-1850-Dist 1, Carroll Co., Md; 1860-Middleburg, Carroll Co., Md; 1870-Dist 10, Carroll Co., Md).
7-George, b 1797, d 1878, m Lydia Holtry. (Census: 1830-St Clair, Butler Co., Oh; 1850-1870-Gratis, Preble Co., Oh).
8-Joseph, b1800, d 1846, m Rebecca Shuh? 15 Feb 1830.(Census: 1820-believe he was with Peter in Taney, Fred. Co., Md; 1830-Dist 6, Fred Co., Md.;1840-Dist 1, Carroll Co., Md.)
9-Suzanna-Susie, b 1804, d 1840, m Isaac Dern 1825. (Census: 1830-Dist 6, Fred Co., Md.; 1840-Dist 1, Carroll Co., Md.;1850 & 1860 Isaac alone in Dist 1 & Middleburg, Carroll Co., Md. respectively).
Two unknown children dec'd by 1817.

Sources for above data:
History of Frederick County, Maryland From the Earliest Settlements to the Beginning of the War Between the States by T J C William (Author of a History of Washington County) Continued from the Beginning of the Year 1861 Down to the Present Time by Folger McKinsey (The Bentztown Bard), Volume II, PUblishers L R Titsworth & Co. 1910; (page 1613);

Frederick County Militia in the War of 1812 by Malick; page 184;

Newspaper Abstracts of Frederick County 1816-1819 by F. Edward Wright,item # 303, page 110;

Names in Stone-Frederick County burials;

The Frederick Town Herald-WMG Vol 6,#2,pg 64;

Monocacy and Catoctin, Vol 3; Gives details of John Alfred Koons (s/o Peter and Mary Ann Ott) family. Says Heinrich Kuhns/Kuntz was probably a Palatine German who embarked for the Us from the Netherlands. His son Henry (who died 1821 and has a will on file in Frederick Co) is probably the father of 6 sons which included John Coones (Buckeystown Dist); Abraham; Henry Jr; George-all of Taneytown Dist; Jacob;?. A daughter Anna Koons HAUGH (Paul) is mentioned and says Peter Koons (1795-1876) married Anna Maria Ott (1803-1866) and that Jacob, a shoemaker, and his wife were buried in the OTT family graveyard near Miller's Bridge and Detour.;

FTM Marriage Index, Maryland 1655-1850:
16 May 1825 Peter Koons & Mary Ott
07 Sep 1825 Susan Koons & Isaac Dern
15 Feb 1830 Joseph Koons & Rebecca Shuh

Deed Records-Henry Koons Sr & Druzy Ann, wife of said Henry Koons Sr., sold SE 1/4 of S13 T15 R15 to Asel Lee for $110. 28 Mar 1868; Drusilla & Henry Koons selling to Samuel Koons, 4 acres in Millertown, 17 Sep 1852
---------------------
Will of George Koons
Frederick Co MD
Will Docket H.S.-2-Folio 60
Dated 19 Apr 1816, Proved 10 Mar 1817

In the name of God amen. I GEORGE KOONS of Frederick County in the State of Maryland, being weak in body, but of sound and disposing mind, memory and understanding, considering the certainty of death, and the uncertainty of the time thereof, and being desirous to settle my worldly affairs, and thereby be the better prepared to leave this world when it shall please God to call me hence, do therefore make and publish this my last Will and testament, in manner and (forces?) following, that is to say - First and principally, I commit my soul into the hands of Almighty God and my body to the Earth to be decently buried at the discretion of my Executors hereinafter named, and after my debts and funeral charges are paid, I devise and bequeath as follows. -

Item. I give and bequeath unto my beloved Wife ANN KOONS the Plantation whereon I now live during her widowhood or natural life and should she marry again then and in that case my Will is that the Land shall then be sold by my Executors, or Executor, and the money arising therefrom after my Wife gets what the Law allows her, the balance to be divided in nine equal parts in the manner following, one ninth part to my son JACOB KOONS, one ninth part to my son HENRY KOONS, one ninth part to my son PETER KOONS, one ninth part to my son GEORGE KOONS, one ninth part to my son JOSEPH KOONS, one ninth part to my daughter MARY OGBORN, one ninth part to my daughter MARGARET HITER, one ninth part to my daughter CATHRINE STIMMELS three children /equally/, WILLIAM, HARRIET and ELIZABETH, one ninth part to my daughter SUZANA. But should my daughter CATHARINE's husband DANIEL B. STIMMEL die before my grand child WILLIAM STIMMEL arrive at the age of twenty one then and in that case my will is that my three Grandchildren above named shall have no part of my Estate but that my daughter CATHARINE shall receive the part they would have been entitled to had DANIEL B. STIMMEL been living.

Item. I give to my wife ANN KOONS during her life my negro woman named BETTY and her increase and after the death of my wife my will is that the said negro BETTY and her increase shall be sold by my Executors or either of them, and the money appied as above. I will that my wife shall have the choice of two Beds and furniture out of the whole number of beds and to have her choice of one horse out of the whole number of horses, likewise her saddle and bridle - I give and bequeath to my Wife two cows, she to have her choice, likewise six sheep and six hogs she having her choice out of the whole number, likewise I give to my wife Chest of Drawers, the kitchen dresser with the furniture thereto belonging, my will and desire is that my Executors furnish as much provision as will be sufficient for the support of my Wife and the Children that is under age for one year should there be as much on hand at my death - Whereas my three daughters MARY OGBURN, MARGARATE HITER and CATHARINE STIMMEL have had from me the amount of two Hundred dollars each, it is my will that my daughter SUSANA shall have the like sum paid to her out of my estate to make her equal with them. And Whereas my two sons JACOB and HENRY have had one hundred dollars in Horse, saddle &c it is my will that my three sons PETER, GEORGE and JOSEPH shall receive from my estate one hundred dollars each to make them equal with JACOB and HENRY.

Item. I will and bequeath to my daughter CATHARINE STIMMEL one dollar as her full share of my estate, and that the part I originally intended for her, I will and direct shall go to her three Children WILLIAM, HARRIOT and ELIZABETH to be put on Interest, and the Interest arising therefrom to be paid to my daughter CATHARINE - Nevertheless should her husband DANIEL B. STIMMEL die before the aforesaid WILLIAM STIMMEL should arrive to the age of twenty one and in that case I will that my three Grand Children WILLIAM STIMMEL, HARRIOT STIMMEL and ELIZABETH STIMMEL shall have no part of my Estate but that all the part or parts left to them shall go to my daughter CATHARINE STIMMEL and her heirs -

My will and desire is that my Executors as soon after my death as they can sell all personal property and apply the money arising therefrom to the payment of the Legacies and should there be more than will be sufficient for that purpose to divide the balance among the Heirs as above directed - Lastly, I do hereby constitute and appoint my son PETER KOONS and JOSEPH TANEY to be Executors of this my last will and Testament revoking and annulling all former wills by me heretofore made, ratifying and confirming this and none other to be my last Will and Testament - . In testimony whereof I have hereunto set my hand and affixed my seal this twenty ninth day of April Eighteen Hundred and sixteen. -
George Koons (seal)

Signed, sealed, published and declared by George Koons the above named Testator, as and for his last Will and Testament, in the presence of us who at his request in his presence and in the presence of each other, have subscribed our names as Witnesses thereto -

Frederick County, March 10th 1817, there came PETER KOONS and JOSEPH TANEY and made oath on the Holy Evangels of Almighty God, that the foregoing Instrument of writing is the true whole will and Testament of George Koons late of Frederick County deceased that hath come to their hands and possession and that they do not know of any other.

Henry Steiner, Reg.

More About GEORGE MICHAEL KOONS:
Burial: Taneytown Reformed Church

Notes for SUSANNAH SHROYER:
I found a World Family Tree on the internet that lists this person as Susannah Stroyer? Dennis Moyer says last name is Shroyer?

Children of GEORGE KOONS and SUSANNAH SHROYER are:
i. JACOB3 KOONS, b. 1781, Frederick Co, Maryland.
2. ii. HENRY KOONS, b. 23 Mar 1783, Middlesburg, Frederick Co, Maryland; d. 20 Aug 1863, Corning, Muskingum Co, Ohio.
3. iii. MARGARET KOONS, b. 03 Jan 1788, Frederick Co, Maryland; d. 11 Apr 1868, Wood Co, Ohio.
iv. MARY KOONS, b. 1789, Frederick Co, Maryland; d. 21 Dec 1828, Perry Co, Ohio; m. SAMUEL OGBORN, Abt. 1811.

Notes for MARY KOONS:
I was wondering if you had more information regarding the HS 2 60 George Koons Peter Koons 10 March 1817 abstract? I am trying to determine the parents of Mary OGBORN. I have found information in Frederick Co. Militia in the War of 1812 by Mallick and Wright regarding a George KOONS who d 1817 and m Susannah SHROYER and lived near Emmitsburg, Frederick Co. Their children included a son Henry and a daughter Mary (Mrs. Ogburn). (from Cris Reed 8/2001)
------------
I am descended from Henry Koons's sister, Mary Koons Ogborn (m Samuel Ogborn). Have had better luck tracking Henry (& wives) than his sister! Henry's 2nd? wife, Drusannah Usher, was a sister to my ggg grandmother, Susannah Usher (m Samuel's son Joseph). Would love to trade info! Hope to
hear from you soon. SChuvalas@aol.com
------------

4. v. CATHARINE KOONS, b. 1792, Frederick Co, Maryland.
5. vi. PETER KOONS, b. 08 Jan 1795, Frederick Co, Maryland; d. 28 Feb 1876, Frederick Co, Maryland.
6. vii. GEORGE KOONS, b. 1797, Frederick Co, Maryland; d. 05 Apr 1878, Winchester, Preble Co, Ohio.
7. viii. JOSEPH KOONS, b. 1800, Frederick Co, Maryland.
ix. SUSIE KOONS, b. 1804, Frederick Co, Maryland; m. ISAAC DERN, 07 Sep 1825; b. 09 Mar 1787, Maryland; d. 09 Mar 1864.

Notes for SUSIE KOONS:
This is probably the Susan Dern who's buried at Haugh's (Mt Zion) Lutheran Cemetery, Ladiesburg, Frederick Co, Maryland, w/o Isaac, who died 6 May 1839, age 34y 7m 7d?

Notes for ISAAC DERN:
Email from Mary Cochran (koontz@home.com) quotes FTM marriage index for Maryland 1655-1850: Sept 7, 1825 Susan Koons to Isaac Dern (Carroll Co, Maryland). There was a Washington Dern in Dayton, Ohio, he was born 1811 in Frederick and had seven siblings, need to check if there's a connection to Susan's husband?

Susanna KOONS
Sex: F
Marriage 1 Isaac DERN b: 9 MAR 1787 in MD
Married: 7 SEP 1825
Children
Emily Jane DERN b: 9 JUL 1826
Julia Ann DERN b: 19 DEC 1827
Henry Clay DERN b: 9 MAR 1830 in Double Pipe Creek, MD
George Frederick DERN b: 28 OCT 1832
William Wirt DERN b: 22 NOV 1834
William Wirt DERN b: 1 JUL 1837
(from ttp://worldconnect.rootsweb.com)

Name: Isaac DERN
Sex: M
Birth: 9 MAR 1787 in MD
Death: 9 MAR 1864
Military Service: 1812 Baltimore Co, MD Militia
Burial: Middletown, MD

"At Double Pipe Creek, in Carroll County, he owned and operated a cooperage and later served as justice of the peace in Carroll County, in which he was a leading figure. Isaac was mentioned in his mother's will in 1829."
(Dern Family, 17)

Father: Frederick DERN b: ABT 1725
Mother: Maria Sophia KEMP b: 12 JAN 1751/52

Marriage 1 Catherine COOKERLY b: 1797
Married: 20 APR 1819
Children
Ann Elizabeth DERN b: 14 NOV 1821

Marriage 2 Susanna KOONS
Married: 7 SEP 1825

More About ISAAC DERN:
Burial: Middletown, Maryland

Generation No. 2

2. HENRY3 KOONS (GEORGE MICHAEL2, HENRY1) was born 23 Mar 1783 in Middlesburg, Frederick Co, Maryland, and died 20 Aug 1863 in Corning, Muskingum Co, Ohio. He married DRUSANNA ANN USHER Abt. 1819 in Maryland.

Notes for HENRY KOONS:
From Perry Co, Ohio "Heirlines", Summer 1997, page 30: Henry KUNTZ and Drusannah USHER were married in Perry Co. Oh. on 26 Dec 1840. The 1850 Perry Co. Census, Monroe Twp. lists Henry KOONS, age 68 and wife Drusanna, age 45 with children, Eliza A.; Cele. (?); Ann; Joseph and Sarah J.. Where was this family when the 1860 census was taken? Cris White Reed; 5990 N. Church Rd. .W.; Malta, OH 43758-9402.

Henry & Drusannah's marriage record is in Perry Co. I have followed family groups for Henry, Mary, & their siblings & children through Ancestry.com census and have done considerable research in Perry Co. Also, Drusannah's name on her headstone is Drusey Koons. She has even been called Ann in the census. I think her given name was misconstrued a lot. Have most recently tried to find an obit for her-no luck. George Michael's will and the Frederick Co History ties Henry and Mary Ogborn to George and Susannah. (from SChuvalas@aol.com 5/2005)

Notes for DRUSANNA ANN USHER:
A Perry County genealogy newsletter lists her as Drusanna Usher.

Children of HENRY KOONS and DRUSANNA USHER are:
i. INFANT4 KOONS, b. Abt. 1815.
ii. INFANT KOONS, b. Abt. 1818.
iii. JACOB KOONS, b. 11 Mar 1820, Pennsylvania; d. 13 Jun 1881, Washington CH, Fayette Co, Ohio.
iv. GEORGE KOONS, b. Abt. 1823, Perry Co, Ohio.
v. ELIZA ANN KOONS, b. 1842.
vi. CELE ANN KOONS, b. 1845, Perry Co, Ohio.
vii. JOSEPH KOONS, b. 1846, Perry Co, Ohio.
viii. SARAH J. KOONS, b. 1849, Perry Co, Ohio.

3. MARGARET3 KOONS (GEORGE MICHAEL2, HENRY1) was born 03 Jan 1788 in Frederick Co, Maryland, and died 11 Apr 1868 in Wood Co, Ohio. She married JACOB HYDER Abt. 1806 in Maryland. He was born 20 May 1784 in Maryland, and died 30 Apr 1859 in Seneca Co, Ohio.

Notes for MARGARET KOONS:
ancestry.plus lists her as Margaret Kuntz, born 1/3/1788, died 4/11/1868, husband was Jacob Hyter, born 5/20/1784.

More About MARGARET KOONS:
Burial: Perry Twp, Wood Co, Ohio

Notes for JACOB HYDER:
Wills at Frederick courthouse list this person as Hiter according to Mary Catherine Cochran (koontz@home.com)

Children of MARGARET KOONS and JACOB HYDER are:
i. ELIAS4 HYTER, b. 16 Dec 1807, Frederick Co, Maryland.
ii. EPHRIAM HYTER, b. 30 Apr 1810, Frederick Co, Maryland.
iii. ALICE HYTER, b. 07 May 1812, Frederick Co, Maryland.
8. iv. SUSANNAH HYTER, b. 08 Aug 1814, Frederick Co, Maryland.
v. KATHERIN HYTER, b. 11 Dec 1816, Frederick Co, Maryland.
vi. JULIANN HYTER, b. 21 Aug 1818, Frederick Co, Maryland.
vii. JACOB HYTER, b. 17 Mar 1822, Frederick Co, Maryland.
viii. MARGARET HYTER, b. 26 Mar 1824, Frederick Co, Maryland.
ix. SAMUEL HYTER, b. 22 Jul 1826, Frederick Co, Maryland.
x. ABRAM HYTER, b. 04 Jun 1828, Frederick Co, Maryland.
xi. WILLIAM HYTER, b. 26 Aug 1831, Frederick Co, Maryland.

4. CATHARINE3 KOONS (GEORGE MICHAEL2, HENRY1) was born 1792 in Frederick Co, Maryland. She married DANIEL P. STIMMELL.

Children of CATHARINE KOONS and DANIEL STIMMELL are:
i. WILLIAM4 STIMMELL.
ii. HARRIET STIMMELL.
iii. ELIZABETH STIMMELL.

5. PETER3 KOONS (GEORGE MICHAEL2, HENRY1) was born 08 Jan 1795 in Frederick Co, Maryland, and died 28 Feb 1876 in Frederick Co, Maryland. He married MARY ANN OTT 16 May 1825 in Frederick Co, Maryland, daughter of JOHN OTT and ANNA FISSER(N). She was born 04 Sep 1803, and died 20 Apr 1866 in Frederick Co, Maryland.

Notes for PETER KOONS:
History of Frederick County Maryland says Peter and Mary lived all their lives and died on the farm near Middleburg. Denny Moyer says no children are known for this family, but History of Frederick County says they had nine children.

W&M1614. Peter Koons (1795-1876) married Anna Maria Ott (1803-1866) daughter of John Jacob (c 1754-1822) and Anna Maria (1767-1812). Jacob, a shoemaker, and wife were buried in the Ott family graveyard near Miller's Bridge and Detour.

More About PETER KOONS:
Burial: Haugh's Church, near Woodsboro

Notes for MARY ANN OTT:
Janet White lists Mary Ann as Anna Maria?

More About MARY ANN OTT:

Marriage Notes for PETER KOONS and MARY OTT:
"Marriage Licenses of Frederick Co. Maryland" by Margaret Myers lists Mary Ott and Peter Koons with date May 16, 1825 which is consistent with birth dates of children.

Children of PETER KOONS and MARY OTT are:
9. i. JOHN ALFRED4 KOONS, b. 13 Mar 1826, Frederick Co, Maryland; d. 28 Dec 1890, Frederick Co, Maryland.
ii. MARY ANN KOONS, b. Abt. 1827, Frederick, Maryland.

Notes for MARY ANN KOONS:
History of Frederick County Maryland says Mary died at five years of age.

iii. SAVILLA KOONS, b. 1828, Frederick, Maryland; d. 1861, Frederick, Maryland.
10. iv. GEORGE W. KOONS, b. 31 Aug 1831, Frederick, Maryland; d. 03 Dec 1893, Frederick, Maryland.
v. DANIEL L. KOONS, b. 10 Apr 1835, Frederick, Maryland; d. 19 Mar 1868, Frederick, Maryland; m. EMILY J. ?; b. 28 Jan 1837; d. 15 Oct 1870.

More About DANIEL L. KOONS:
Burial: Haugh's Mt Zion Cemetery, Ladiesburg, Carroll Co, Maryland

More About EMILY J. ?:

vi. THOMAS KOONS, b. 1838, Frederick, Maryland; d. 1888, Frederick, Maryland; m. LUCRETIA SHYROCK.
11. vii. ALICE LOUISA KOONS, b. 09 Jan 1841, Frederick, Maryland; d. 03 Dec 1920.
viii. JAMES HAMILTON KOONS, b. 17 Dec 1843, Frederick, Maryland; d. 31 May 1920, Frederick, Maryland; m. ANNIE R. UNKNOWN; b. 30 Jan 1848; d. 16 Jun 1929.

Notes for JAMES HAMILTON KOONS:
This may be the James H. Koons who wrote about the history of Carroll County, Maryland according to the website of the Historical Society of Carrol County (HSCC).

James H. Koons wrote about Double Pipe Creek (now Detour), Keysville and York Road (now Keymar).

Double Pipe Creek is a small village situated on the W. M. R. R., 51 miles from Baltimore, and 17 miles from Westminster, the County Seat of Carroll county. It contains a population of 125, all white, and is located on the western line of Middleburg district, on both banks of Double Pipe Creek stream, in Frederick and Carroll counties. Little and Big Pipe Creek unite about 200 yards south of the village, forming Double Pipe Creek, from which the village derives its name.

Keysville is a small village located in the western part of Middleburg district, on a tract of about 1000 acres of land taken up originally by John Ross Key, the father of Francis Scott Key - the village deriving its name from the Keys.

More About JAMES HAMILTON KOONS:
Residence: Keymar, Maryland

More About ANNIE R. UNKNOWN:

6. GEORGE3 KOONS (GEORGE MICHAEL2, HENRY1) was born 1797 in Frederick Co, Maryland, and died 05 Apr 1878 in Winchester, Preble Co, Ohio. He married LYDIA HOLTRY Abt. 1822 in Pennsylvania, daughter of GEORGE HOLTRY and ELIZABETH UNKNOWN. She was born 27 Feb 1805 in Pennsylvania, and died 29 Aug 1887 in Preble Co, Ohio.

Notes for GEORGE KOONS:
The Palestine Book, History of Liberty (German) Twp Darke Co Ohio says that George moved to Palestine from Gratis Twp. 1850-1980 Obituary Abstracts from Eaton Register & Eaton Democrat says George was a "pioneer of Preble" and was 81 years old when he died (pg 101). Preble Co Cemetery Abstracts, Vol II, page 110 says George was 81y, 12d old at death and died Apr 5, 1877 not 1878 (this would put birthdate in March of 1796?)

According to Nathaniel Koons' obituary, George and Elizabeth Coons (note it says Elizabeth, not Lydia?) had twelve children, eight sons and four daughters, but I only list three daughters and seven sons?
------------
from 1850 Census for Gratis Twp, Preble Co, Ohio:
Koons, George, 53y, farmer, MD
Lydia, 45y, PA
Nathaniel, 29y, carpenter, MD
Ellen, 21y, OH
Loyel, 18y, farmer, OH
George, 15y, farmer, OH
Margaret, 13y, OH
Lucyann, 11y, OH (probably Lucien... not Lucyann)
Reuben, 8y, OH
Emeline, 6y, OH
------------

More About GEORGE KOONS:
Burial: Fairview Cemetery, Preble Co, Ohio
Cause of Death: diarhea

More About LYDIA HOLTRY:
Burial: Fairview Cemetery, Gratis, Preble Co, Ohio

Marriage Notes for GEORGE KOONS and LYDIA HOLTRY:
Nel Hatcher says George and Lydia were married in Pennsylvania.

Children of GEORGE KOONS and LYDIA HOLTRY are:
12. i. NATHANIEL SAMUEL4 KOONS, b. 08 Nov 1823, Frederick Co, Maryland; d. 17 Aug 1897, German Twp, Darke Co, Ohio.
13. ii. EPHRAIM KOONS, b. 25 Aug 1825, Frederick Co, Maryland; d. 08 Nov 1906, Preble Co, Ohio.
14. iii. ABSALOM KOONS, b. 06 May 1827; d. 13 Jan 1896.
iv. ELLEN KOONS, b. 01 Aug 1829, Ohio; d. 02 Jul 1894, Preble Co, Ohio; m. (1) WILLIAM WEADICK; m. (2) JOHN NEFF, 29 Mar 1855, Preble Co, Ohio.

Notes for ELLEN KOONS:
1877-1895 Obituary Abstracts from Preble Co Newspapers vol II by Audrey Gilbert (pg 169) says Ellen died at the home of her brother, Reuben Koons of paralysis. Sherri Koons says this is Elenora or Eleanora Koons who was married to John Neff. If her name was Weadick at death, she must have been married a second time. Preble County cemetry records for Fairview Cemetery lists Elenora Wadig, born Aug 1, 1829; died July 2, 1894; age 64y , 11m , 1d.

From Audrey Gilbert's Preble Co Probate Abstracts: #6410 - Elnora Weadick died 2 July 1894. adm. Henry Lantis. Filed 13 Aug 1894. Surity: Reuben Koons, John Kesling. Brothers and sisters: Ephraim Koons of Kansas City MO, Nathaniel and George Koons of Palestine OH, Absalom Koons of Wabash IN, Reuben Koons, Loyal Koons of Osage Mission Kan., Emma Ray of Peabody IN, Margaret Wolfred of Farmersville Oh, niece and nephew, Florinda and William Koons of Danville IL. Petition to sell real estate and personal property. Noah Brower, Dr. M.S. Sayler, Henry F. Holland for monument, inventory by appraisers: John M. Brandenberg, Thomas Cooney, Aaron Brubaker; Reuben Koons, brother, did not wish to serve.

More About ELLEN KOONS:
Cause of Death: Paralysis

15. v. LOYEL KOONS, b. 08 Jul 1833, Preble Co, Ohio.
16. vi. GEORGE KOONS, b. 01 Aug 1835, Ohio; d. 16 Jul 1911, German Twp, Darke Co, Ohio.
17. vii. MARGARET KOONS, b. 14 Dec 1836, Preble Co, Ohio; d. 26 May 1914, Dayton, Montgomery Co, Ohio.
18. viii. LUCIEN KOONS, b. 23 Sep 1838, Preble Co, Ohio.
19. ix. REUBEN KOONS, b. 13 Jun 1841, Preble Co, Ohio; d. 28 Mar 1923, Preble Co, Ohio.
20. x. EMELINE KOONS, b. 20 Oct 1843, Preble Co, Ohio; d. 20 May 1917, Roann, Wabash Co, Indiana.

7. JOSEPH3 KOONS (GEORGE MICHAEL2, HENRY1) was born 1800 in Frederick Co, Maryland. He married UNKNOWN.

Child of JOSEPH KOONS and UNKNOWN is:
i. SAMUEL4 KOONS, b. 1825.

Generation No. 3

8. SUSANNAH4 HYTER (MARGARET3 KOONS, GEORGE MICHAEL2, HENRY1) was born 08 Aug 1814 in Frederick Co, Maryland. She married HEZEKIAH DERN. He was born Abt. 1811 in Maryland, and died 14 Jan 1854 in Seneca Co, Ohio.

Child of SUSANNAH HYTER and HEZEKIAH DERN is:
i. SAMUEL J.5 DERN.

Notes for SAMUEL J. DERN:
SAMUEL J. DERN, a well-known citizen and a wide-awake, energetic business man of Prairie Depot, is a native of Seneca county, Ohio, born in Jackson township, July 11, 1848, son of Hezekiah and Susanna (Hyter) Dern. The father's birth occurred in Frederick county, Md., in 1808, and he was one of a family of six children who grew to adult age, the others being Susan, Amy, Mary, Isaac and William. The paternal grandfather, William Dern, followed the occupation of an agriculturist in Maryland, where his death occurred.

On reaching manhood, Hezekiah Dern wedded Miss Susanna Hyter, who was also born in Frederick county, Md., August 7, 1814, the daughter of Jacob and Margaret (Kuntz) Hyter. By trade the father of our subject was a carpenter, but he was for the most part engaged as a huckster in Baltimore until 1839, when he brought his family in a covered wagon to Ohio, passing through Pittsburg, Penn., where the eldest daughter, Theodocia, strayed away, but was found after @,short search. His first location was upon an acre of ground six miles north of Tiffin, in Seneca county, where the family made their temporary home in a log school house, while their hewed-log dwelling was being built, and they afterward used the former as a barn. There the father followed carpentering, but he later removed to a tract of forty acres in Jackson township, in the same county. His death occurred January 14, 1854, upon another forty-acre farm there, and he was laid to rest in Dysinger cemetery. The mother passed away at Fostoria, Ohio, in August, 1882, and was interred by the side of her husband. They were devout members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and in politics the father was an Old-line Whig. The family circle included the following children:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WOOD COUNTY, OHIO. - 839

Theodocia R., now Mrs. I. W. Nestlerode, of Fostoria, Ohio; Theodore D., who was a member of the 72nd O. V. I., during the Civil war (he died at Memphis, Tenn., August 9, 1879); Margaret E., wife of C. H. Fundom, of Loudon township, Seneca county; William C., a farmer of Montgomery township, Wood county; Wesley W., of Keokuk county, Iowa; Samuel J., who is the subject of this sketch; Frances A., now Mrs. Christopher Deal, of Jackson, Mich.; and Mary I., wife of Almon Baker, of Montgomery township.

S. J. Dern was educated in the district schools of his time, which were much inferior to those of the present day, and the improved educational institutions now find in him a stanch friend and supporter. Reared as a farmer boy, he aided in the labors upon the old homestead, and after reaching his majority began to accumulate some property for himself. He bought the shares of the other heirs in the home farm from time to time, until he owned three-quarters of the place, and continued to reside there until his removal to Prairie Depot, November 1, 1876. On August 17, 1875, Mr. Dern had been married in that village to Miss Flora A. Bryant, a daughter of William R. and Melissa (Sherman) Bryant, and by her he had one son, Charles W., born July 19, 1877. From Prairie Depot our subject removed to a rented farm in Plain township, Wood county, where his wife died July 24, 188o, and she was buried in the cemetery at Prairie Depot. There he was again married, September 12, 1883, his second union being with Miss Jessie B. Gould, a daughter of John Gould, a veteran of the Rebellion, who during his younger days was a sailor, and is now a highly respected citizen of Prairie Depot. Mrs. Dern was born August 13, 1860, and has become the mother of two children-Hazel, born January 3, 1886; and Edgar G., born June 9, 1889.

For nine years after his return to Prairie Depot, Mr. Dern was engaged in the hardware business, being a member of the firm of Johnston & Dern the first three years, at the end of which time he purchased his partner's interest, and was sole proprietor for the following three years. Lewis Newcomer then became a member of the firm, which assumed the name of Dern & Co., and they carried on business very successfully until July 8, 1890, when they sold out to the Buckeye Supply Company. For a year and a half Mr. Dern was then traveling agent for the Woodmen of the World Insurance Company, and has since been engaged in the oil business. He has also been more or less engaged in leasing land, taking options, buying and selling real estate, etc., and has become one of the well-to do citizens of the place. His commodious and pleasant residence in Prairie Depot was erected in 1883. Mr. Dern is a stanch and influential Republican, always attending the conventions of his party in the county, and, while not an office seeker, served for four years as treasurer of Montgomery township, during which time his books were spoken of by the trustees, as the neatest, best-kept and most systematic of any ever kept in the township. He has also been a member of the city council of Prairie Depot. He is a charter member of Petroleum Lodge No. 499, K. of P., of that place, and he and his estimable wife are connected with the Disciples Church, in which he is now serving as deacon.
------------

9. JOHN ALFRED4 KOONS (PETER3, GEORGE MICHAEL2, HENRY1) was born 13 Mar 1826 in Frederick Co, Maryland, and died 28 Dec 1890 in Frederick Co, Maryland. He married GEORGIANNA CELISTIA MILLER 15 May 1856, daughter of JOHN MILLER and JOANNA EICHELBERGER. She was born 13 Mar 1835, and died 06 Dec 1888.

Notes for JOHN ALFRED KOONS:
History of Frederick County Maryland says John and Georgianna resided for two years on a farm near Rock Ridge, moving in 1859 to the farm known as Donaldson's Range, about 1-1/2 miles from Ladiesburg, and one mile from Middleburg, which farm was purchased from Jacob Root. Here they lived, raised a family of nine boys and three girls, and from here they passed to their Heavenly home. John taught school for two or thre years previous to his marriage. He was elected a member of the House of Representatives in the Maryland Legislature in 1857. He was elected again in 1873 and 1875. In the first term he served as a Whig and as a Republican in the last two. He had the title "Fox Mountain Orator" among his fellow legislators.

More About JOHN ALFRED KOONS:

Notes for GEORGIANNA CELISTIA MILLER:
Janet White lists Georgianna as Georgina Celstia?

More About GEORGIANNA CELISTIA MILLER:

Children of JOHN KOONS and GEORGIANNA MILLER are:
i. ANNA VIRGINIA5 KOONS, b. 12 Mar 1857; d. 18 May 1882.
21. ii. CLARA KOONS, b. 27 Nov 1858; d. 28 Dec 1892.
22. iii. PETER DONALDSON KOONS, b. 18 May 1860, Johnsville District, Frederick Co, Maryland; d. 09 Jun 1933.
23. iv. EDWARD JOHN KOONS, b. 10 Feb 1862; d. 05 Nov 1900.
24. v. REV. WILLIAM GEORGE KOONS, b. 03 Nov 1863; d. 1924, Rising Sun, Maryland.
25. vi. ROBERT LIVINGSTON KOONS, b. 24 Aug 1865; d. 23 Nov 1947.
26. vii. JAMES ALFRED KOONS, b. 15 Sep 1867, Frederick, Maryland; d. 07 Jun 1929, Frederick, Maryland.
viii. JOSEPH MARYLAND KOONS, b. 01 Jun 1869, Johnsville District, Frederick Co, Maryland; d. 1925, Frederick, Maryland; m. EMMA JANE BARRACK, 01 Feb 1906; b. 1863, Utica Hills, Frederick Co, Maryland; d. 1938, Frederick, Maryland.

Notes for JOSEPH MARYLAND KOONS:
History of Frederick County Maryland says Joseph spent several years in the West in his early life, before marrying in 1907. Joseph and Emma reside on the "home place" Donaldson's Range. He attended the Good Intent school and the Hagerstown High School. He began life as a clerk for his brother, Robert, at Middleburg, remaining there for two years. He then travelled in the West for five years in commercial lines. He purchased the homestead of 173-1/2 acres after the death of his brother, Edward J. Koons. Joseph is a member of Haugh's Lutheran Church. He is an ardent Republican.
----------
2/ 8/1906 Hymeneal Koons, Mrs. Emma J. - Koons, Joseph M. 2/ 1/1906 Thursday
2/ 8/1906 Hymeneal Koonx, Joseph M. - Koons, Mrs. Emma J. 2/ 1/1906 Thursday
from The Daily News, Frederick, Maryland
----------

Notes for EMMA JANE BARRACK:
History of Frederick County Maryland says that Emma Koons was the widow of Edward J. Koons, her maiden name was Barrick. After the death of Edward, she married his brother Joseph.

Marriage Notes for JOSEPH KOONS and EMMA BARRACK:
The Daily News - Marriage Licenses - Wednesday, February 7, 1906

Joseph M. Koons and Emma Jane Koons, both of Ladiesburg.

The Daily News - Hymeneal - Thursday, February 8, 1906

Mr. Joseph M. Koons and Mrs. Emma J. Koons, of near Ladiesburg, this county, were married on Thursday evening, February 1. Rev. Wm. Koons, of the Methodist Protestant church, a brother of the groom, performed the ceremony, assisted by Rev. R. S. Poffenbarger, pastor of Mt. Zion Evangelical Lutheran church.

ix. MARY JOANNA KOONS, b. 1871, Frederick, Maryland; d. 05 Mar 1871, Frederick, Maryland.

Notes for MARY JOANNA KOONS:
History of Frederick County Maryland says Mary died the day of her birth.

More About MARY JOANNA KOONS:
Burial: Ladiesburg, Frederick Co, Maryland

27. x. HARRY EICHELBERGER KOONS, b. 03 Dec 1872, Frederick, Maryland; d. 1935, Indianapolis, Marion Co, Indiana.
xi. OSCAR SHERMAN KOONS, b. 20 Apr 1875, Frederick Co, Maryland; d. 23 Jul 1942, Baltimore, Baltimore Co, Maryland; m. (1) GRACE ALLGIRE; b. 29 Apr 1882, Frederick Co, Maryland; d. 01 Mar 1946, New York; m. (2) VIOLET M. QUINN; d. 03 Dec 1960.

More About OSCAR SHERMAN KOONS:
Residence: Harrietstown, New York

Notes for GRACE ALLGIRE:
History of Frederick County Maryland says Grace and Oscar moved to Northern New York where she died.

xii. JACOB CLAUDE KOONS, b. 24 May 1881; d. 13 Jun 1882.

10. GEORGE W.4 KOONS (PETER3, GEORGE MICHAEL2, HENRY1) was born 31 Aug 1831 in Frederick, Maryland, and died 03 Dec 1893 in Frederick, Maryland. He married SARAH A. BOSTIAN. She was born 10 May 1838 in Frederick, Maryland, and died 01 Jan 1929 in Frederick, Maryland.

Notes for GEORGE W. KOONS:
The Fogle book says George and Sarah had six children.
------------

More About GEORGE W. KOONS:

More About SARAH A. BOSTIAN:

Children of GEORGE KOONS and SARAH BOSTIAN are:
i. MILTON5 KOONS, b. Jan 1869, Maryland; m. IVA WEANT.

Notes for MILTON KOONS:
History of Frederick Co, Maryland, Volume 1, says that Milton was a general merchant at Tanetown, married to Iva Weant. He appears to be the owner of the Koons Bros. department store in Taneytown as late as 1904.

ii. FLORENCE ESTELLE KOONS, b. Abt. 1871, Maryland.
iii. J. ROSS KOONS, b. 05 Apr 1873, Frederick, Maryland.
28. iv. GEORGE U. KOONS, b. 12 Oct 1875, Middleburg, Carroll, Maryland.
v. C. BLANCHE KOONS.
vi. MARY MARTHA KOONS.

11. ALICE LOUISA4 KOONS (PETER3, GEORGE MICHAEL2, HENRY1) was born 09 Jan 1841 in Frederick, Maryland, and died 03 Dec 1920. She married JACOB HENRY COST 14 Jan 1868. He was born 14 Jan 1833 in Hagerstown, Maryland, and died 15 Dec 1910.

More About ALICE LOUISA KOONS:
Burial: Fairview Cemetery, Keedysville, Maryland

More About JACOB HENRY COST:
Burial: Fairview Cemetery, Keedysville, Maryland
Residence: Hagerstown, Maryland

Children of ALICE KOONS and JACOB COST are:
29. i. MARY IRENE5 COST, b. 1869; d. 04 Mar 1956.
ii. JESSIE B. COST, b. 1874; d. 1934; m. HENRY DAVIS.

12. NATHANIEL SAMUEL4 KOONS (GEORGE3, GEORGE MICHAEL2, HENRY1) was born 08 Nov 1823 in Frederick Co, Maryland, and died 17 Aug 1897 in German Twp, Darke Co, Ohio. He married SARAH TEAFORD 04 Mar 1852 in Darke Co, Ohio, daughter of GEORGE TEAFORD and MARY KETTERING. She was born 18 Feb 1832 in German Twp, Darke Co, Ohio, and died 07 Oct 1899 in German Twp, Darke Co, Ohio.

Notes for NATHANIEL SAMUEL KOONS:
IGI lists marriage of Sarah Teaford to Samuel Kuntz?? on March 4, 1852. First time i've seen Nathaniel's name listed this way.

1880 Census Darke Co Ohio
German Twp. (book page 287)
KOONS:
Nathaniel 56 M/M/P farmer
Sarah 48 O/V/P wife
Elmina 22 O/M/O dtr
Newton D. 18 O/M/O son
Ada A. 16 O/M/O dtr (must be her)
Jonathan S. 14 O/M/O son
Margret J. 12 O/M/O dtr
------------
1870 Census Darke Co Ohio, German Twp:

KUNTS, Nathaniel, farmer, 46y, male, MD
Sarah, 38y, female, OH
George, 15y, male, IN
Elmira, 11y, female, OH
Newton, 9y, male, OH
Ada A., 8y, female, OH
Jonathan J.?, 4y, male, OH
Margaret, 2y, female, OH

------------
There are a couple old yellow paper clippings of a Nathaniel Coons (son of George & Elizabeth Coons, born Frederick County, Maryland, Nov. 8, 1823. He died of an accident when his horse became frightened by a man on a bicycle, August 17, 1897. He was married to a Miss Sarah Teaford. etc.. (from papers found in the Koons family bible by Pat Copeland 8/2004)

Nathanial Coons. Nathaniel, son of George and Elizabeth Coons, was born in Frederick County Maryland, Nov. 8, 1823. In 1825 his parents came to the state Ohio, and settled near Germantown, Montgomery County. He was the eldest of the family of twelve children, eight sons and four daughters; three brothers and two sisters are still living. March 4, 1852, Mr. Coons was united in marriage with Miss Sarah Teaford. Four sons and six daughters were the fruits of this marriage. The faithful, devoted wife, three sons, two daughters and other relatives and neighbors mourn their loss. Mr. Coons came to Darke County in the winter of 1855, so that he was a citizen of this county for forty-two years, living about two miles southwest of Palestine. He was an industrious, upright and highly respected citizen. For over thirty years he was a member of the Reformed church, in which he continued through life. He was interested in the work of the church and was active in its service. To his family he gave assurance that he was prepared to depart and to be with Christ. His friends mourn not as those who have no hope. The deceased came to his death by an accident that occurred as he was driving on the highway. He met a man on a bicycle when his horse became frightened, whirled around suddenly, overturning the spring-wagon, hurling him to the ground, bruising and wounding him badly, inflicting such serious internal injuries that in nine days, after much intense suffering, he closed his eyes to all earthly scenes. He died August 17th, 1897, aged 73 years, 9 months and 9 days. A large concourse of people attended his funeral at St. John's church one mile south of Palestine. Services conducted by Rev. W. J. Pruner, of Greenville. (from newspaper clipping in the Koons family bible)
-------------

More About NATHANIEL SAMUEL KOONS:
Burial: St. John's Cemetery, Darke Co, Ohio

Children of NATHANIEL KOONS and SARAH TEAFORD are:
i. LYDIA M.5 KOONS, b. 28 Sep 1853, Ohio; d. 09 Jul 1855, Darke Co, Ohio.

More About LYDIA M. KOONS:
Burial: St John's Cemetery, Darke Co, Ohio

30. ii. GEORGE A. KOONS, b. 12 Dec 1855, Wabash, Wabash Co, Indiana; d. 07 Mar 1933, Darke Co, Ohio.
iii. ELEANDER L. KOONS, b. 12 Dec 1856, Ohio; d. 07 Feb 1861, Darke Co, Ohio.

More About ELEANDER L. KOONS:

iv. ELMINA KOONS, b. 01 Aug 1859, Darke Co, Ohio; d. 19 Feb 1888, Darke Co, Ohio; m. M.C. ELLIS, 18 Sep 1886, Darke Co, Ohio.

Notes for ELMINA KOONS:
Virginia Davis lists her as Elmira?

More About ELMINA KOONS:

31. v. NEWTON DOUGLAS KOONS, b. Oct 1860, Darke Co, Ohio; d. 08 Oct 1930, Palestine, Darke Co, Ohio.
vi. ADA A. KOONS, b. Abt. 1864, Ohio.
vii. MALANDA KOONS, b. 07 Dec 1865, Ohio; d. 23 Oct 1867, Darke Co, Ohio.

Notes for MALANDA KOONS:
Virginia Davis lists her as Malinda Koons.

More About MALANDA KOONS:

32. viii. JOHNATHAN SHERMAN KOONS, b. 17 Apr 1866, Eldorado, Preble Co, Ohio; d. 10 Dec 1911, Darke Co, Ohio.
33. ix. MARGARET JANE KOONS, b. 05 Sep 1867, Palestine, Darke Co, Ohio; d. 01 Sep 1946, New Madison, Darke Co, Ohio.
x. AGNES E. KOONS, b. 04 Apr 1872, Darke Co, Ohio; d. 11 Aug 1872, Darke Co, Ohio.

More About AGNES E. KOONS:

13. EPHRAIM4 KOONS (GEORGE3, GEORGE MICHAEL2, HENRY1) was born 25 Aug 1825 in Frederick Co, Maryland, and died 08 Nov 1906 in Preble Co, Ohio. He married HARRIET ANN KURTZ 26 Aug 1852 in Preble Co, Ohio, daughter of LEWIS INGERSOLL and ALMIRA WATROS. She was born Abt. 1832 in Ohio.

Notes for EPHRAIM KOONS:
Ingersoll GED at www.my-ged.com lists two marriages? One to Harriet N. Ingersoll on 9 Jun 1872, Greenbush, Clinton Co, Michigan. Not sure about two marriages to Harriet's? Janet White shows Harriet Ann Kurtz, daughter of Lewis Ingersoll and Almira Watros? Also show a birth date of February 14, 1832?
Preble Co Cemetery Records, vol II, for Fairview cemetery lists his death date as Sept 25, 1896 (page 110).
-----------
Cincinnati, Ohio directory, 1890-91 lists: Ephraim Koons, tailor, 68 Tecumseh
-----------
from page 53, Preble's Pride, Vol 13, No 4, Oct 1999: Ephraim Koons of Kansas City, Mo, Absalom Koons of Wabash, IN, Loval (Loyel) Koons of Osage Mission, Kansas, Emma Ray of Peabody, IN and Florinda and William Koons of Danville, IL, note that Henry Lantis Adm. of Elnora Weadick dec'd 13 Aug 1894 filed petition to sell land in Gratis Township. Eaton Register 6 Sept 1894.
-----------

More About EPHRAIM KOONS:
Residence: 1894, Kansas City, Missouri

Notes for HARRIET ANN KURTZ:
1906-10 Preble Co Obituaries by Audrey Gilbert says Mrs. Ephraim Koons of St Louis, formerly of Gratis was buried Saturday at Fairview Cemetery (Preble Co News, Oct 11, 1906).

Children of EPHRAIM KOONS and HARRIET KURTZ are:
i. CHARLES E.5 KOONS, b. Abt. 1853, Ohio.

Notes for CHARLES E. KOONS:
Cincinnati city directory for 1890-91 lists: Charles E. Koons, Cincinnati St. Railway Co. Shop, foreman painter, northwest corner Strafer and Columbia avenue.

ii. FRANCIS LAGRANDE KOONS, b. 14 Apr 1856; d. 15 Nov 1870, Winchester, Ohio.

Notes for FRANCIS LAGRANDE KOONS:
1850-1890 Obituary Abstracts from Eaton Register & Eaton Democrat vol 1, by Audrey Gilbert (page 60) says Francis was s/o E. and Harriet Ann Koons, died at age 14yrs, 7 months. Date of death was 11/15/1870, cause of death was typhoid fever. Preble Co Cemetery records for Fairview Cemetery lists this person as Francis Lagrand (Lagrand is surname, not Koons?), but listing is in with the Koons and Holtry listings (see page 110)

More About FRANCIS LAGRANDE KOONS:
Cause of Death: Typhoid fever

iii. WALTER B. KOONS, b. Abt. 1858, Ohio; d. 11 Apr 1907, Memphis, Tennessee.

Notes for WALTER B. KOONS:
Koons, Walter B., formerly of Gratis, died in Memphis, Tenn. Buried Gratis. Newphew of Reuben Koons, PCN April 11, 1907. (from Preble Co Newspaper Abstracts)

Cincinnati City directory, 1890-91 lists: Walter B. Koons, painter, 68 Tecumseh.

More About WALTER B. KOONS:
Burial: Gratis, Preble Co, Ohio

iv. CARL E. KOONS, b. Abt. 1862, Ohio.

Notes for CARL E. KOONS:
The 1870 Preble Co Ohio Census lists this person as Carroll E. Koons?

34. v. JOHN F. KOONS, b. 1868; d. 08 Jan 1945, St. Petersburg, Florida.
35. vi. THOMAS MELVILLE KOONS, b. 17 Sep 1869, Eaton, Preble Co, Ohio; d. 18 Jun 1944, Cincinnati, Ohio.

14. ABSALOM4 KOONS (GEORGE3, GEORGE MICHAEL2, HENRY1) was born 06 May 1827, and died 13 Jan 1896. He married (1) ISABELLA RAY 14 Oct 1849 in Wabash Co, Indiana, daughter of STEPHEN RAY and PERMELIA MYERS. She was born 12 Jan 1829, and died 17 Jul 1884 in Wabash, Wabash Co, Indiana. He married (2) ELIZABETH CULLERS Abt. 1888.

Notes for ABSALOM KOONS:
His (Absalom's) date of birth is listed as May 6, 1827. He is my ggg grandfather. I have his obituary from the Wabash Daily Plain Dealer (he died January 13, 1896). Anyway, his grave is in the Friends Cemetery of S. Wabash. The dates on his tombstone are 5-6-1827 to 1-13-1896. He was married to Isabella Ray. I am descended through his daughter, Emma Bell Koons. Absalom is the son of George Koons and Lydia Holtry, correct? In 1850, a George and Absalom are on pages 334 and 335, respectively, of the Preble Co. census. (from Lee Phillips
Sugar Land, TX 2/2003)
-------------
Obit from Wabash Daily Plain Dealer, Monday, January 13, 1896: ANOTHER OLD CITIZEN GONE. Absalom Koonse Departs This LIfe at 11:05 This Morning. Absolem Koonse, mention of whose serious illness has been mentioned in the Plain Dealer from time to time of late, died at this home two and one-half miles south of the city on the Somerset pike at 11:05 this morning of a low grade fever. The deceased was born in Preble county, Ohio, in the year 1826. He came to Wabash county in 1847, and purchased the eighty acres of land on which he lived until called away by death. Mr. Koons was married twice, the first time about the year 1848 to Miss Isabella Ray. Five children were born to them -- two sons and three daughters, four of whom are living. He was married a second time to Miss Elizabeth Cullers, about eight years ago. He was taken sick of the grip on the 26th day of December. The disease developed into the typhus fever, which caused his death. Of his children all live in Wabash county except his son, Albert, who is residing in Marion. His eldest daughter is married to Jacob Hammond, of this city. The deceased had many warm friends in this vicinity who will learn of his death with great sorrow. The funeral will probably take place from the family residence on Wednesday morning.
-------------
My name is Neal Koons, living in Franklin, IN, born 7-2-1952. Absalom (b.1826) and Isabella (Ray) Koons (b.1831) were my GGparents who lived in Wabash, IN. They came to Wabash County, IN from Preble County, Ohio sometime after 1850. I have not been able to gather much info on either of them except names for some of their children including sons George and Albert, and daughters Julia and Catherine. My Gfather was their son, Albert, b1863 d1931? married to Ella Jane Wimmer, b1867 d1937. I know their oldest daughter, Edith, married an Ira Coy and lived in Marion, IN where they are buried. My father was Charles Albert Koons, b1910, d1952 married to Pauline Shultz Anderson b1920 who still lives. I have two older brothers. Little is known of my father's family history as he died the year I was born and he and my mother were only married 4 years. I do have some records of my father's siblings but have not been able to find anything much of my gf and ggf or any of their siblings or genealogy. If this information is helpful to you or anyone interested please pass along or if you or anyone can give me any information on Absalom and Isabella Koons I would be most grateful.

(from Neal D. Koons nealkoons@comcast.net 2/19/2012)
------------
The funeral of Absalom Koons took place from his late residence this afternoon, and was largely attended. A long procession of friends of the deceased followed the remains to their last resting place at the Friends Cemetery, Southwest of the City.Wabash Plain Dealer 1-15-1896
------------
from 1860 census for Wabash Co, Indiana:
(living next door to Stephen Ray)

Absalom Koons, 33y
Isabella Koons, 31y
George S. Koons, 9y
Martha J. Koons, 7y
Lulia E. (s/b Julia?), 4y
------------

More About ABSALOM KOONS:
Residence: 1894, Wabash, Indiana

Notes for ISABELLA RAY:
Isabella appears to be daughter of Steven Ray, Jr. (1806-1886) and Permelia Myers (1804-1871)

More About ISABELLA RAY:
Burial: Friends Cemetery, Wabash Co, Indiana

Marriage Notes for ABSALOM KOONS and ISABELLA RAY:
from Indiana Marriage Collection 1800-1941 at ancestry.com:
Absalom Koontz, married Isabelle Ray, 10/14/1849, Wabash Co, Indiana
----------

Children of ABSALOM KOONS and ISABELLA RAY are:
36. i. ALBERT5 KOONS, b. 1863; d. Bef. 1949.
ii. GEORGE KOONS, b. Abt. 1851; d. Bef. 1949.
iii. JULIA E. KOONS, b. 20 Nov 1856; d. Bef. 1949; m. (1) JACOB HAMMOND; m. (2) ZIMRI FAWCETT.

Notes for JULIA E. KOONS:
Julia (1856-1936) may have also been married to a Fawcett?

Notes for ZIMRI FAWCETT:
ZIMRI FAWCETT.
Few of the citizens of Wabash county have done more to advance the interests of agriculture than has Zimri Fawcett, of Paw Paw township, for his intelligent application of progressive methods to his operations and his unceasing efforts to simplify his work and increase production have stimulated others to greater endeavors and thus placed his community among the leaders in agricultural development. He is now living a retired life, for his ventures have been successful and he is now enjoying the fruits of his years of toil, but he still takes an interest in the various advancements connected with the work of the husbandman, and through his influence is still proving a beneficial factor in the county's farm life.
Mr. Fawcett has been a lifelong resident of Wabash county, having been born on a farm in Noble township, west of the city of Wabash, November 3, 1854, a son of Milton and Sarah (Haines) Fawcett, natives of Ohio, where they were educated, reared and married. After the birth of their first child they migrated to Indiana by way of wagon, settling in the woods west of Wabash, where not a stick of timber had yet been cut. It is related that the father, standing in one spot, and that not any appreciable distance from his door-step, could "shoot enough squirrels to last over Sunday." On this wild forty acre farm Mr. Fawcett put up a log cabin, but after he had made a number of other improvements disposed of it and moved to what is now the city of Wabash, buying 127 acres which land is all now in the city limits and the owner of which is Allen W. King. A man of progressive spirit, far ahead of his day, he took the lead in agricultural work in his section, and made his property pay him full value for the labor he expended upon it, generally raising eighty bushels of corn to the acre. Coming to this locality a poor man, through intelligent work and perseverance he rose to a position of substantiality, and when he passed away, at the age of fifty-four years, of typhoid fever, no man in the community stood higher in public esteem. He invested to some extent in realty, and was the owner of many shares in the old Tole (now Mill Creek) turnpike. He was a republican, but not an office seeker. Mrs. Fawcett nursed her husband and children when they had the typhoid fever, and came safely through that siege, but ten years later contracted the disease herself and did not recover therefrom. Mr. and Mrs. Fawcett were the parents of five children, the first born in Ohio, and the last four in Indiana, namely: Mordecai, who is deceased; Zimri, of this review; Mary Elizabeth, deceased, who was the wife of John Werst; Levi, who met his death in the great San Francisco earthquake; and Lydia, who is the wife of Elwood Ridenour.

Zimri Fawcett was born in the little primitive log cabin on the first farm, but when he was a boy the family moved to Wabash. Like all farmers; sons of that day, he was early set to such tasks as could be accomplished by youthful hands, and when he was only three years of age, while picking up chips after the ax of his brother Mordecai, he lost the index finger on his right hand. He assisted in the work of clearing the homestead from the timber and was trained thoroughly in agricultural work by his father, whose progressive spirit and enterprise the youth inherited. His educational training was secured in the old home district schools of his day, and he remained at home until his marriage, November 18, 1880, to Miss Julia Koons, the daughter of Absalom and Isabella (Ray) Koons. In the meantime he had purchased a farm on the Mill Creek turnpike, which is now the home of Sam DuBois, and there lived during the first nine years of his married life. This was a tract of thirty-four acres, and it was so highly developed and improved that in 1890 he sold it at the then record price of $100 an acre, considered so astonishing that the newspapers of this section all printed an account of the transaction. His present farm, a tract of 108 acres, in Paw Paw township, on the east side of Laketon turnpike, about seven miles north of Wabash, he purchased for forty dollars an acre from the Heath heirs. He completed clearing the land, put in many rods of tile (one ditch costing $478), erected a set of seven buildings, put up a new modern residence, and now values his property at $200 an acre. Like his father, Mr. Fawcett has delighted in making his land produce great crops. On some of his property he has raised 100 bushels of corn to an acre, and holds many prizes won as premiums at corn shows held at Urbana and other points. He has also raised 1000 bushels of oats on ten acres. While he specializes in these, he also carries on general farming and stockraising through his sons, he having retired from the active labors of the farm. Mr. Fawcett bears a high reputation in business circles and has numerous friends throughout Wabash county. Politically a republican, public life has held out no attractions for him, he preferring to remain a simple tiller of the soil. His religious faith is that of the Quakers, in which he was reared.

Five children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Fawcett: Olzro, of Chester township, Wabash county, who married Katie Miller and has three children, Maxwell, Eunice and Paul; Harley E., who is engaged in cultivating the home farm; Lilly, who is the wife of C. R. Ball and has two children, Dorothy, a resident of Noble township, and a daughter Helen, born April 13, 1914; Nellie, who is now Mrs. C. C. Myers, of Texas; and Orval B., who is at home.

"History of Wabash County, Indiana"
Clarkson W. Weesner
Lewis Publishing Co.
Chicago and New York
published in 1914
-------------

iv. CATHERINE KOONS.
37. v. EMMA BELLE KOONS, b. 30 Jul 1860; d. 02 May 1949, Peru, Indiana.

15. LOYEL4 KOONS (GEORGE3, GEORGE MICHAEL2, HENRY1) was born 08 Jul 1833 in Preble Co, Ohio. He married MARGARET GREGG 17 Aug 1854 in Preble Co, Ohio, daughter of JACOB GREGG and DRUZILLA UNKNOWN. She was born 03 Jan 1834 in Preble Co, Ohio.

Notes for LOYEL KOONS:
There's a "Loyal" Koons listed in the 131st Ohio National Guard unit in 1864-1865 (from roster in Broadside picture collection at DMCPL). Civil War pension records on Ancestry.com indicate that Loyal and Margaret were living in Kansas, he applied for pension in 1890, she applied for widow's pension in 1897.
--------------
Loyal Koons, 131st ONG, Company F, private is listed on Natl Park Service Civil War Soldiers and Sailors website.
---------------
Name: Loyal Koons
Company: F
Regiment: 131
State: Ohio
Arm of Service: Infantry
Publication Title: Organization Index to Pension Files of Veterans Who Served Between 1861 and 1900
NARA Publication Number: T289
Publisher: National Archives and Records Administration
Collection Title: Civil War Pensions
-------------

More About LOYEL KOONS:
Residence: 1894, Osage Mission, Kansas

Notes for MARGARET GREGG:
Have also seen her listed as Margaret Gregg?

From Audrey Gilbert's Preble Co Probate Abstracts: #5799 - Jacob Gregg died Oct 1889. Filed 21 Nov 1889. Will abstract: to 2 daughters Nancy and Elizabeth Gregg all my personal estate with my real estate in Preble in Sec 15 Gratis Twp of about 51 acres, they to pay all my debts; should either died without children the survivor shall have the whole bequest; residue of real estate to children: Margaret Koons, John, Samuel, William, Mary A. Southard; to be no appraisement and no sale of personal property. Signed 14 Aug 1871. Codocil - to 2 daughters Nancy and Elizabeth Gregg each $250 in addition to the original bequest. Signed 6 Feb 1873. Heirs - children - Nancy and Elizabeth Gregg, Margaret Koons of Kansas, Margaret A. Southard (Mary?) of Middletown OH.

1850 census for Gratis Township

GREGG, Jacob 48 m GA
Druzilla 42 f VA
Margaret 16 f OH
John 15 m OH
Mary 13 f OH
Nancy 11 f OH
Samuel 7 m OH
William 4 m OH

RHODA 3 f OH

Elizabeth 10/12 f OH

Children of LOYEL KOONS and MARGARET GREGG are:
i. WILLIAM5 KOONS, b. Abt. 1860, Ohio.

Notes for WILLIAM KOONS:
Nel Hatcher lists him as William Leonard Koons, born 8/20/1859 in Preble Co, Ohio.

ii. MARY KOONS, b. Abt. 1862, Ohio.
iii. NANCY KOONS, b. 12 Feb 1869, Gratis Twp, Preble Co, Ohio.
iv. CHARLES W. KOONS, b. Abt. 1856; d. 12 Oct 1858.

Notes for CHARLES W. KOONS:
info from one of Curt Hodson's Preble Co cemetery books:
Charles W. Koons, son of Loyd (s/b Loyel) and Margaret, buried Riner Burial Ground, died 10/12/1858, age 2y 25d
---------------

More About CHARLES W. KOONS:
Burial: Riner Burial Ground, Preble Co, Ohio

16. GEORGE4 KOONS (GEORGE3, GEORGE MICHAEL2, HENRY1) was born 01 Aug 1835 in Ohio, and died 16 Jul 1911 in German Twp, Darke Co, Ohio. He married (1) LOVINA TEAFORD 20 Aug 1857 in Darke Co, Ohio, daughter of JOHN TEAFORD and SOPHIAH KETTERING. She was born 18 Apr 1838 in Unknown, and died 31 Mar 1901 in Darke Co, Ohio. He married (2) SARAH TEAFORD 24 May 1902 in Darke Co, Ohio, daughter of LEWIS TEAFORD and SUSANNA KRAMER. She was born 17 Apr 1840 in Palestine, Darke Co, Ohio, and died 04 Jun 1927 in Greenville, Darke Co, Ohio.

Notes for GEORGE KOONS:
from 1870 Darke Co census, German Twp:

KUNTS, George, 35y, male, OH
Luvina, 33y, female, OH
Flora C., 8y, female, OH
Manuel, 4y, male, OH
Ervin, 3y, male, OH
Olive, 5/12, female, OH
------------
Name: Geoge Koons
Death date: 16 Jul 1911
Death place: German, Darke, Ohio
Birth date: 01 Aug 1835
Birth place: Ohio
Age at death: 75 years 11 months 15 days
Marital status: Married
Race or color: Caucasian
Residence: German, Darke, Ohio
Burial date: 18 Jul 1911
Burial place: Palistine, O.
Father name: George Koons
Father birth place: Maryland
GSU film number: 1953045
Digital GS number: 4021108
Image number: 1252
Reference number: fn 37024
Collection: Ohio Deaths 1908-1953
-------------

Notes for LOVINA TEAFORD:
There is a Lavina Cook who married a George S Koons on Aug 3, 1871 in Wabash Co, IN. Lavina Cook was born abt 1851 in Wabash Co, IN. This can't be the same Lavina, since there are children here born before 1871, but there may still be some kind of relationship from Bobby C. Lilley (bclilley@netusa1.net)

Sherri Koons says George was married to Lavina Teaford? IGI lists a Lavinia Teaford, married to George Kountz in Darke Co, Ohio. Lists her birth date as 1836, and marriage date as Aug 20, 1857. Virginia Davis also indicates that George's wife was Lavina Teaford.

Info from Bob Harter indicates that Lavina is daughter of John Teaford and Sophiah Kettering! (following is from Bob 10/2002): So far as Jn. Jacob's children, it does not list Elizabeth and Daniel (who died before 1850), which I have on my list, and it lists Lana rather than Jane. It only lists a spouse for Nancy, Noah, and Rebecca, (a Phillip, Sarah Bowman, and Josiah Harter, respectively). For John and Sophia, children listed are Mary, Lavin (m. a Koontz), Francis (m. Anibel _?), Milton and Elizabeth.
Virginia Davis lists this person as Lavina? and she appears to be the Lavina/Lovina who was married to George Koons... note that the birth dates are the same, but off by one year, and the death dates match?

Notes for SARAH TEAFORD:
Darke Co Marriage Records show George Koons married to Sarah Hufnagle, but her parents are Lewis Teaford and Susan Cramer. Was Sarah married to a Hufnagle before she married George?
------------
Name: Sarah Koons
Death date: 04 Jun 1927
Death place: Greenville, Darke Co., Ohio
Birthdate: 17 Apr 1840
Birthplace: Palestine, Ohio
Age at death: 87 years 1 month 17 days
Marital status: Widowed
Street address: 111 Vine St.
Residence: Greenville, Darke, Ohio
Burial date: 07 Jun 1927
Burial place: Greenville, Darke, Ohio
Spouse's name: George Koons
Father's name: David Teaford
GSU film number: 1985067
Digital GS number: 4022000
Image number: 2607
Reference number: fn 34398
-----------

More About SARAH TEAFORD:
Burial: 07 Jun 1927, Greenville Cemetery, Darke Co, Ohio

Marriage Notes for GEORGE KOONS and SARAH TEAFORD:
Darke Co Marriage Records show marriage performed by W. E. Ludwick, Minister.

Children of GEORGE KOONS and LOVINA TEAFORD are:
i. VALINDA ALICE5 KOONS, b. 01 Aug 1860; d. 01 Apr 1866, Darke Co, Ohio.

More About VALINDA ALICE KOONS:

ii. CARLESTA BELL KOONS, b. 07 Oct 1863; d. 12 Mar 1866, Darke Co, Ohio.

More About CARLESTA BELL KOONS:

38. iii. EMANUEL JEFFERSON KOONS, b. Abt. 1865, Ohio; d. 1935.
39. iv. IRVIN DELBERT KOONTZ, b. Sep 1867, Ohio.
v. OLIVA M. KOONS, b. Abt. 1871, Ohio; m. WILLIAM MORGAN.
40. vi. MILTON T. COURTLAND KOONTZ, b. 04 Sep 1873, Darke Co, Ohio; d. 29 Dec 1949, Glen Karn, Darke Co, Ohio.
vii. C. DESSIE KOONS, b. Abt. 1875, Ohio; m. SHIRLEY E. LOUDENSLAGER1, 17 Nov 1897, Darke Co, Ohio; b. 1872, Darke Co, Ohio.

Notes for C. DESSIE KOONS:
IGI lists her as Dessie Koontz.

Notes for SHIRLEY E. LOUDENSLAGER:
IGI lists him as Shirley Lowdenslager.

viii. L.C. KOONS, b. 09 Nov 1875, Darke Co, Ohio.
41. ix. HARLEY U. KOONS, b. Feb 1879, Ohio; d. 1917, Darke Co, Ohio.
x. PEARL L. KOONS, b. 12 Oct 1882; m. (1) HARVEY C. PUTERBAUGH, 03 Jul 1901, Darke Co, Ohio; b. Jan 1879, Ohio; m. (2) WILLIAM E. BEETLEY, 24 Dec 1908, Darke Co, Ohio; b. 1880.

Notes for PEARL L. KOONS:
There's a Pearl C. Beetley buried at Greenmound Cemetery in Darke Co, on Dec. 5, 1970, aged 88 years. This may be Pearl Koons? Need to check discrepancy in middle initial?
-------------

Marriage Notes for PEARL KOONS and HARVEY PUTERBAUGH:
1899-1911 Darke Co Marriage Records by Doris Aultman says marriage was performed by Jacob Pantle, Minister.

Marriage Notes for PEARL KOONS and WILLIAM BEETLEY:
Marriage was performed by Rev. S.W. Bennett

xi. FLORENCE E. KOONS, b. 24 Dec 1861, Darke Co, Ohio; d. 07 Oct 1951; m. UNKNOWN ROSS.

Notes for FLORENCE E. KOONS:
name: Florence E Ross
event: Death
event date: 07 Oct 1951
death age: 89y 9m 13d
race: White
birth date: 24 Dec 1861
birthplace: Darke Co. Ohio
estimated birth year: 1862
father: George Koontz
mother: Lavina Teaford
reference number: certificate
film number: 2372874
digital folder number: 4109403
image number: 02505

"Ohio, Deaths, 1908-1953," index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/X6GT-MQP : accessed 17 Nov 2012), Florence E Ross, 1951; citing reference certificate, Ohio Historical Society, Columbus, Ohio.
------------

17. MARGARET4 KOONS (GEORGE3, GEORGE MICHAEL2, HENRY1) was born 14 Dec 1836 in Preble Co, Ohio, and died 26 May 1914 in Dayton, Montgomery Co, Ohio. She married SAMUEL WOLFORD 10 Apr 1862 in Preble Co, Ohio, son of JACOB WOLFORD and HANNAH BECHDOLT. He was born 17 Apr 1833 in Ohio, and died 22 Jul 1899.

Notes for MARGARET KOONS:
Name: Margaret Wolford
Death date: 26 May 1914
Death place: Dayton, Montgomery Co., Ohio
Birth date: 14 Dec 1835
Birthplace: Ohio
Age at death: 78 years 5 months 12 days
Race or color: American
Burial date: 28 May 1914
Burial place: Farmersville, Ohio
Father's name: Geo. Koons
Father's birthplace: Md.
Mother's name: Lidy Holtry
Mother's birthplace: Md.
GSU film number: 1953916
Digital GS number: 4021355
Image number: 1624
Reference number: fn 30285
-------------

More About MARGARET KOONS:

Notes for SAMUEL WOLFORD:
one source lists this marriage without the husband's first name, and lists his surname as Wolfred?

Preble Co Probate Abstracts indicates this may be Samuel Wolford as he's listed with Margaret Wolford on a petition to sell real estate for John Neff, deceased.

ancestry.com Ohio Marriages, 1803-1900 lists Wolford, Samuel married Koons, Margaret on 10 Apr 1862 in Preble Co, Ohio.

from 1870 Federal Census, Lathrop, Clinton co, Missouri:
Wolford, Samuel, 34y, male, white, farmer, born Ohio
Margaret, ??, female, white, born Ohio
Ruben, male, white, 7y, born Ohio
Cora B., female, white, 3y, born Ohio

from 1880 Federal Census, Gratis, Preble Co, Ohio:

Samuel WOLFORD Self M Male W 46 OH Farmer PA PA
Margaret WOLFORD Wife M Female W 43 OH Keeping House MD MD
Reuben A. WOLFORD Son S Male W 17 OH At Home OH OH
Cora B. WOLFORD Dau S Female W 14 OH At Home OH OH

More About SAMUEL WOLFORD:
Burial: Fairview`

Children of MARGARET KOONS and SAMUEL WOLFORD are:
i. REUBEN ELLSWORTH5 WOLFORD, b. 08 Jan 1863, Preble Co, Ohio; d. 29 Oct 1936, Montgomery Co, Ohio; m. ETHEL M. CLINE; b. 14 Feb 1887; d. 15 Jul 1973.

Notes for REUBEN ELLSWORTH WOLFORD:
WOLFORD, RFUBFN E.
County Name: MONTGOMERY
Date of Death: 10/29/1936
Volume Number: 8274
Certificate Number: 65067
(from Ohio Historical Society Death Certificate Index)
------------
Name: Reuben Ellsworth Wolford
Death date: 29 Oct 1936
Death place: Dayton, Montgomery, Ohio
Birthdate: 08 Jan 1863
Birthplace: Preble Co., Ohio
Age at death: 73 years 9 months 21 days
Residence: Farmersville
Burial date: 01 Nov 1936
Burial place: Gratis, O.
Spouse's name: Ethel Wolford
Father's name: Samuel Wolford
Father's birthplace: Middletown, Ohio
Mother's name: Margaret Koons
Mother's birthplace: Gratis, Ohio
GSU film number: 2022731
Digital GS number: 4036111
Image number: 967
Reference number: fn 65067

Notes for ETHEL M. CLINE:
There's some confusion over the death date...SSDI says 7/15/1973 but the Ohio Death Certificate Index says 7/21/1973? Her obit appears in the Dayton Daily News on 7/21/1973 and is a little vague as to when she died. ** need to transcribe her obit **

1930 census for Dayton, Montgomery Co, Ohio lists Ethel Wolford, born 1887, 43yrs old, OH/OH/OH, at the Dayton State Hospital, married

1920 census for Jackson Twp, Montgomery Co, Ohio lists:
Wolford, Reuben E., 55y
Wolford, Ethel M., 33y

ii. CORA B. WOLFORD, b. Abt. 1866, Ohio.

18. LUCIEN4 KOONS (GEORGE3, GEORGE MICHAEL2, HENRY1) was born 23 Sep 1838 in Preble Co, Ohio. He married SARAH ELLEN SLINGER Abt. 20 Jun 1865 in Preble Co, Ohio. She was born Abt. 1847 in Ohio.

Notes for LUCIEN KOONS:
History of Preble Co Ohio by HZ Williams 1881 lists a Lucien Koons who was a furniture dealer in 1880 (page 311). 1870 Preble Co census lists Lucian (sp) as a cabinet maker.

Notes for SARAH ELLEN SLINGER:
Preble Co Ohio 1860-1898 Marriage abstracts by Audrey Gilbert clearly lists Sarah as Sarah Ellen Slinger. It says marriage application was made in June 1865. There's a marriage license issued in Preble county, but the portion for solemnizing the marriage hasn't been completed.

From Audrey Gilbert's Preble Co Probate Abstracts: #4588 - John Eslinger - adm. Lucian Koons. Filed 13 Feb 1879. Surity: A. Holtry, Fred Michael. Widow Mary Eslinger. John Eslinger resided in Champaigne Co. IL and left home 1 Jan 1872 to collect money due him and has not been heard from since. appraisers: W.H. L. Ramsey, Henry Coons, J.C. Thomas. (based on the occurance of Eslinger three times in this abstract, Sarah's surname isn't Slinger as otherwise listed).

Children of LUCIEN KOONS and SARAH SLINGER are:
i. WILLIAM W.5 KOONS, b. 11 Jun 1869, Camden, Preble Co, Ohio.
ii. FLORINDA B. KOONS, b. 13 Sep 1873, Camden, Preble Co, Ohio.

Notes for FLORINDA B. KOONS:
Preble Co Marriage Records 1907-15 by Audrey Gilbert lists E.F. and Flora Koons Ross as parents of Glen O. Ross... need to determine is Flora is Florinda?

19. REUBEN4 KOONS (GEORGE3, GEORGE MICHAEL2, HENRY1) was born 13 Jun 1841 in Preble Co, Ohio, and died 28 Mar 1923 in Preble Co, Ohio. He married (1) CLARA KISLING. She was born 1857, and died 20 Jun 1913 in near West Alexandria, Preble Co, Ohio. He married (2) CLARA DOTY 24 Aug 1879 in Preble Co, Ohio, daughter of SAMUEL DOTY and MARY KINCAIDE. She was born 12 Jun 1856 in Oxford, Ohio, and died 20 Jun 1913 in Perry Twp, Montgomery Co, Ohio.

Notes for REUBEN KOONS:
Name: Ruben Koonts
Death date: 26 Mar 1923
Death place: Gratis, Preble, Ohio
Birth date: 11 Jun 1841
Birthplace: Preble Co, Ohio
Age at death: 81 years 9 months 15 days
Marital status: Widowed
Burial date: 28 Mar 1923
Burial place: Gratis Tp, Ohio
Spouse's name: Clare Koonts
Father's name: George Koonts
Father's birthplace: Mayoland (Maryland)
Mother's name: Lydia Heltiry (Holtry)
Mother's birthplace: Redding, Pennsylvania
GSU film number: 1992265
Digital GS number: 4000552
Image number: 1826
Reference number: fn 21689
------------

More About REUBEN KOONS:

Notes for CLARA KISLING:
Preble Co Ohio Birth Records 1887-1896 vol 3, by Audrey Gilbert & Charlotte Borradaile lists Clara as "Kisling".... think Clara Doty and Clara Kisling are
the same person. She's also listed as "Kesling". There's a Clara Koons listed in Preble County cemetery records 1857-1913, buried in Fairview Cemetery... may be this Clara?

Koons, Clara died at the home of her sister, Mrs. John Kesling near West Alexandria 20 June 1913, 57. Leaves husband, Reuben, sons, Ed, George, Charles, Henry and Thomas. Buried Gratis. Eaton Register (from Obituary Abstracts, Preble Co, 1911-14, vol VI, by Audrey Gilbert)

More About CLARA KISLING:
Burial: Fairview, Gratis, Preble Co, Ohio

Notes for CLARA DOTY:
Sherri Koons lists Clara as "Clarissa".
--------------
Name: Clara Koontz
Death date: 20 Jun 1913
Death place: Perry Twp., Montgomery, Ohio
Birth date: 12 Jun 1856
Birthplace: Oxford, Ohio
Age at death: 57 years 8 days
Burial date: 22 Jun 1913
Burial place: Ohio, Usa
Father's name: Samuel Doty
Father's birthplace: Oxford, Ohio
Mother's name: Mary Kincade
Mother's birthplace: Camden, Ohio
GSU film number: 1953653
Digital GS number: 4021288
Image number: 424
Reference number: fn 43484
------------

Child of REUBEN KOONS and CLARA KISLING is:
42. i. THOMAS MELVILLE5 KOONS, b. 16 Apr 1895, Gratis Twp, Preble Co, Ohio; d. 17 Jun 1959, Dayton, Montgomery Co, Ohio.

Children of REUBEN KOONS and CLARA DOTY are:
ii. GEORGE W.5 KOONS, b. 02 Feb 1881, Gratis Twp, Preble Co, Ohio; d. Abt. 15 Jun 1929, Fort Perry, Near Covington, Kentucky.

Notes for GEORGE W. KOONS:
(from the Cincinnati Times Star); Noted One-Armed Game Hunter , Who Braved African Wilds, Ends Life; (Lost Right Hand In Fall). George W. Koons, 48, Cincinnati's famous one-armed hunter and writer and probably the only one-armed white man who ever risked going into the African jungles in search of big game, killed himself, Friday, with a shot from his revolver at the home of Albert Jetter, Amsterdam pike, Ft. Perry, near Covington, Kentucky.

An article titled "Sprained Legs and Eight-Point Bucks" written by George W. Koons (Cincinnati, Ohio) appeared in the September 1915 issue of National Sportsman magazine.

THIS IS A GREAT OLD NATIONAL SPORTSMAN IN THE SMALL FORMAT FROM AUGUST 1917. THE COVER IS A GREAT SCENE IN BRIGHT COLOR. GREAT STORIES LIKE HOT WEATHER FISHING BY DIXIE CARROL, AN ELK HUNT NEAR YELLOWSTONE BY G. KOONS, HUNTING AND FISHING IN QUEBEC, AND MANY OTHERS.

December 1925, Sportsman's Digest, has article by George, titled "Bulling the Bull Moose".

Following articles about George appeared in the Kentucky Post newspaper and may be available from the Kenton Co Public Library (Kentucky):
Big Game Hunter to Talk, Kentucky Post, 2/7/1929
Life In Africa, Kentucky Post, 2/8/1929
Optimists Told of Big Game Hunt, Kentucky Post, 10/5/1928
Sports Writer Ends Life, Kentucky Post, 6/15/1929
(these aren't exact titles of the articles... need to double check them at the Kenton Library website)

More About GEORGE W. KOONS:
Cause of Death: suicide by gunshot wound

43. iii. JOHN EDWARD KOONS, b. 24 Apr 1883, Preble Co, Ohio; d. 21 Aug 1962, Preble Co, Ohio.
iv. EDMON KOONS, b. 15 Apr 1884, Gratis Twp, Preble Co, Ohio.
v. JIMMIE KOONS, b. 1887; d. 22 Dec 1887, Fairview Cemetery, Preble Co, Ohio.
44. vi. CHARLES ALBERT KOONS, b. 19 Jan 1888, Gratis Twp, Preble Co, Ohio; d. 26 Jun 1950, Madison Twp, Montgomery Co, Ohio.
vii. REUBEN H. KOONS, b. 29 Jul 1891, Gratis Twp, Preble Co, Ohio; d. 27 May 1956.

Notes for REUBEN H. KOONS:
Tombstone says Henry R. Koons?

More About REUBEN H. KOONS:

45. viii. HENRY KOONS, b. 29 Jul 1891, Gratis, Preble Co, Ohio; d. 27 May 1956.

20. EMELINE4 KOONS (GEORGE3, GEORGE MICHAEL2, HENRY1) was born 20 Oct 1843 in Preble Co, Ohio, and died 20 May 1917 in Roann, Wabash Co, Indiana. She married (1) ISIAH MOYER 22 Dec 1866. He died 1875. She married (2) REUBEN WEADER RAY 20 Jan 1876 in Winchester, Preble Co, Ohio. He was born 26 Sep 1843, and died 1920.

More About EMELINE KOONS:
Cause of Death: Nephritis

Notes for REUBEN WEADER RAY:
1850 Preble county census records indicate that Reuben's father may have been Henry Ray, and mother was Ann Maria. Also lists a sibling, Ira who was 5 years younger than Reuben. Henry was a farmer, born in Ohio.... wife and children were born in Pennsylvania.
------------

More About REUBEN WEADER RAY:
Burial: Twin Valley Cemetery, Preble Co, Ohio

Child of EMELINE KOONS and ISIAH MOYER is:
i. ALDA ETTA5 MOYER, b. 24 Aug 1867; d. 09 Aug 1883, Whitley Co, Indiana.

More About ALDA ETTA MOYER:
Cause of Death: Tuberculosis

Re: Mary Jane Koontz or Margaret Mary Koontz b. abt 1800 d. abt 1883

bhkemp (View posts)
Posted: 22 Nov 2012 2:51PM GMT
Surnames: KOONTZ
Where was Mary Jane Koontz born?

Do you know her siblings?

Betsy Hare Kemp

Researching: Allison, Brooks, Crider, Hare,Heilman, Koontz, Lyon(s), McElroy, McRoberts, McLaughlin, McGeary,McKnight, Nelson, Smith, Swank.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions