Search for content in message boards

GreatGreat Grandfather Lyman P. Smith

GreatGreat Grandfather Lyman P. Smith

Jane Shelton (View posts)
Posted: 25 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 3 Aug 2001 4:03AM GMT
Surnames: Smith, Newman, Conover, Crew
I am looking for info on my gggrandfather Lyman Palmer Smith and gggreatgrandmother Mary Matilda Tatum Smith. They left Real County, Texas and moved to Andanarko, Caddo County, Oklahoma at the turn of the century. They had twelve children. My great grandfather Jefferson D. Smith stayed in Real County until the death of his wife, Mary Jane York Smith. The others, Eunice Ann, Matilda K.(called Kizzie) William F.(Bill) Sarah J.(married John H. Hartman) Laura (married G.W. Conover in Andanarko, Ok. around 1901) Louis L. ( I believe died while a baby in Uvalde County, Tx.) James Lytle,Henry, Della (married Dr. Oscar C. Newman), Joseph, and Charles Palmer Smith (married a woman with last name Crew) I believe Joseph was a sheriff in Libson, Ok. Any info anyone can give me on any of the above would be greatly appreciated. Thanking you in advance. Janie Smith Shelton.

Conover-Smith line

@@NCHARL2196@aol.com (View posts)
Posted: 27 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 31 Aug 2009 12:14AM GMT
Surnames: SMITH, CONOVER, McIntosh, Chandler
I have this information on Laura Smith:

Conover, George W. 1848-1936 buried Memory Lane Cem. Military 39th New Jersey Vol. Co. D CIVIL WAR Military INDAIN WAR Son of ----------Conover and Miss McIntosh Note: Wrote book called “Sixty Years in Southwest Okla.” Married: Tomassa Chandler, widow of Chandler, she is buried at family cemetery, Married 30 Dec 1901 Laura Smith Caddo Co. He is in the 1912 Comanche Indian census # 577
Conover, John M. 1884-1947, buried at Memory Lane Son of George & Tomasa Conover 1912 Comanche Indian census # 577-4, also son Joseph Boone Conover , age 7,
Conover, Laura 1872 1948 buried at Memory Lane Second wife of George W. Conover Maiden name Smith b. Uvalde Texas Married: 30 Dec 1901 Caddo Co.
Conover, William C. 1877 1946 Memory Lane Son of George W. & Tomasa Conover

Re: GreatGreat Grandfather Lyman P. Smith

Barbara J. Howard (View posts)
Posted: 19 Jan 2002 6:24AM GMT
Edited: 31 Aug 2009 12:15AM GMT
Surnames: Smith
Lyman Parmer Smith was my mother's brother. I was so pleasantly surprised to see your message and I am delighted to answer and give you any information that I can. Are you the granddaughter of Vinita Ann, or James D. (Jimmy)?
If you will e-mail me and tell me what you would like to know, I will answer you. Mother is still living and I will ask her if I can't answer your questions. She will be 93 March 28. Barbara Howard

Barbara J. Howard (View posts)
Posted: 19 Jan 2002 6:35AM GMT
Edited: 31 Aug 2009 12:16AM GMT
Surnames: Smith
OK, I just realized Lyman P. Smith was also my great grandfather, and Mary Matilda was my great grandmother. My mother, Delta Matilda Smith, was named after her and Della (Smith) Newman. One of Mother's brothers was named after Lyman P. Smith...the P stands for Parmer. Don't know where that name came from. I know quite a bit about the family but you gave me some info I didn't know about!!! Mother is still living and this will absolutely tickle her pink! She will be 93 March 28. I do know that Mary Matilda is buried in Chickasha or somewhere in Grady County, OK, and I was just searching cemetery records to see if I could locate where she is buried. I found Uncle Jeff's burial location, but I haven't located her's yet. I knew Laura Conover well, and one of Mother's sisters is named Laura. My grandmother's name was Bertha Gertrude Crew Smith. My grandfather was Charles. Well, I'll wait for your e-mail. Barbara Howard

Judith 'Conover' Alvarado (View posts)
Posted: 27 Jul 2002 4:54AM GMT
I am the granddaughter of Laura Smith Conover. My father is Dr. George W. Conover Jr. I have information on Lyman P. Smith and Mary Matilda Tatum Smith that was obtained by my father from a relative in Texas. The information I have consists of birth years and states, a marriage date, when Mary Matilda arrived in Texas, her parents names and that of her brothers and sisters and some info on Mary Matilda and Lyman's children. Some census info for the Tatums in Alabama and Ulvalde, Texas and a Civil War Muster Role from Camp Banco, Ulvalde, Texas. Please let me know if this is of any interest to you. I will gladly pass on what info I have.

Judith 'Conover' Alvarado (View posts)
Posted: 27 Jul 2002 5:02AM GMT
Edited: 31 Aug 2009 12:16AM GMT
Surnames: Smith, Conover
I just realized while looking at your posting that we are cousins. I am Laura Smith Conover's granddaughter. I remember your mother, she and Aletha, my mother still speak. As does my father, Dr. Conover. The last time I saw your mother I was a child. Do you happen to remember Punch and Judy?

Barbara Howard (View posts)
Posted: 1 Aug 2002 3:00PM GMT
Judy! Oh, yes, I remember you! I remember when you and Punch were born!!!! I still can remember your face and how you looked as a child. I remember your Mother as "Jo." I didn't know her real given name. If you will email me I'll tell you the latest news about the family. I'm so excited! Barbara

Janie Smith Shelton (View posts)
Posted: 1 Aug 2002 6:59PM GMT
Surnames: Smith, Tatum
Judith, I was so glad to be notified that I had a reply to my query about my great-great grandfather, Lyman P. Smith. I found Barbara Howard this past January, infact, my Aunt Mary Smith Young and myself met Barbara and her daughter Kristen and granddaughter in New Branufels, Texas for lunch. (Barbara's daughter lives in Austin) I live in San Antonio and have been doing research for our family tree now for about two years.

When we met with Barbara I took with me a copy of all that I have on the Smith's. I forgot to take the Tatum's. I have nine generations on the Tatum's and eight on the Smith's. Of course there are a lot of birthdates, deaths and other important dates I am misssing and would love to find out if you have any that I do not.

Besides Barbara I met Shannon who lives in Washington state and has a lot of the info on the Tatums. I have Mary Matilda's father and mother's name, date of marriage and place of burial. I have the marriage date and place of marriage for Lyman and Mary Matilda. They had twelve children. I

I guess maybe that I am making this too long for a query board response so maybe you can e-mail me at smithshelton@cs.com and we can talk more.

So glad that you found my query. Your grandmother Laura was my grandfather's Aunt. My great grandfather was Jefferson D. Smith. Hoping to hear from you soon.

Janie

Re: Conover-Smith line

JIM DIETRICH (View posts)
Posted: 2 Jul 2004 1:27AM GMT
Edited: 31 Aug 2009 12:15AM GMT
Surnames: Chandler, Dietrich, Conover
JUST CAME ACROSS THIS ON NET. I AM THE GREAT GREAT GRANDSON OF TOMASSA AND HER FIRST HUSBAND JOSEPH CHANDLER. I AM WELL AWARE OF THE CONOVER FAMILY AND KNOW MOST OF THEM OR DID.

THE DIETRICH FAMILY MARRIED INTO TOMASSA'S FIRST BORN DAUGHTER LOTSEE.

I HAVE A FAMILY HISTORY OF THE CHANDLERS/CONOVERSAND DIETRICHS WITH A HUNDRED OLD PICTURES.

Jane Shelton (View posts)
Posted: 8 Dec 2006 4:07AM GMT
Edited: 31 Aug 2009 12:18AM GMT
Surnames: Smith, Tatum
Am still looking for information about my gggrandfather, Lyman P. Smith and gggrandmother, Mary Matilda Tatum Smith.If the offer of information still stands, I would greatly appreciate any info that you might have. Thank you
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions