Search for content in message boards

Miles Riley of County Cavan

Miles Riley of County Cavan

dsriley (View posts)
Posted: 30 Jan 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 18 Feb 2006 1:47PM GMT
Surnames: Riley, Reilly, O'Riley
Any info on Miles Riley, had brother named Garrett Riley, crossed the pond on the Bonaventure to Virginia via London in 1634-35. Related to Rileys of Maryland, Virginia, Georgia, South Carolina. ds_riley@hotmail.com

RILEY - two lines

dago56 (View posts)
Posted: 2 Feb 1999 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 16 Aug 2003 8:29AM GMT
Surnames: RILEY, ALEXANDER, SEALOCK, WILLIS
David: I have two different, distinct RILEY lines in my background. One is John Francis RILEY (my g-g-grandfather) and his wife Bertie ALEXANDER, who came to VA from Ireland before 1870, since they are in the 1870 U.S. Census. One of their children, Mary Catherine RILEY (b. 1872), married Walter Curtis WILLIS in 1897 in Front Royal VA. Mary died in 1923 from TB. Her youngest daughter is my grandmother, Sarah Frances WILLIS SEALOCK.
I have very little info on the other RILEY line. Accdg to a professional genealogist in Amissville VA, Nancy RILEY (my g-grandmother and the mother of Sarah Frances WILLIS SEALOCK's husband, Noah Arnold SEALOCK) is probably descended from Barnabus RILEY, who was given a land grant in the Northern Neck by Lord Fairfax back in the late 1500s/early 1600s. I found the grant in the Culpeper County (VA) Courthouse but have not begun tracing it through yet. Barnabus was very small when the land grant came about. I have been unable to find Nancy's parents, so am at a deadend on her line.
Will keep your email address in case I find something and then pass it along - hope you will do the same!

thanks,
Anna

O'RILEY

dorothygansel (View posts)
Posted: 20 Mar 1999 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 15 Jun 2004 3:49PM GMT
Surnames: O'RILEY, MULHOLLAND
My g-g-grandmother Margaret O'Riley married John Mulholland on January 29, 1849. This is recorded in the Roman Catholic Mission Register of Kemptville, in Ontario Canada. Her death certificate states that her father was Wm O'Riley and her mother was Rose McGarvin or possibly McGovern. Both parents was born in Ireland. Margaret died in 1908 in CA at 81 years of age. The certificate also states the Margaret was born in Canada. She had been in CA one year. This is where most of her family moved to.

Frances Riley

marylubbers40 (View posts)
Posted: 3 Jun 1999 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 25 Jun 2001 3:06AM GMT
Surnames: Riley, Higginbotham
My ancestor, Frances Riley, born 1692 in Wixford?, Ireland married John Higginbotham in Amherst Virginia about 1713. They had several children and I have been exploring Frances' Riley line but came to dead ends. I have heard her referred to an Nancy Riley. Could she be the same one you have?

Mary
lubbers@bellsouth.net

riely

hayley mullen (View posts)
Posted: 8 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: mullen, timmons
my uncle was albert riely i think my fathers name was micheal patric mullen related also to john timmons thats all i know

Re: RILEY - two lines

suzyq89101158 (View posts)
Posted: 6 Sep 2001 2:49AM GMT
Edited: 9 Feb 2004 5:11AM GMT
Surnames: alexander, costello, riley
Hi! You and I have a common ancestor. I am also related to Bertie ALEXANDER. She married my Robert ALEXANDER. I would love to share info! Thanks in advance.

Re: Miles Riley of County Cavan

OpalHinson34 (View posts)
Posted: 21 Nov 2001 1:51AM GMT
Edited: 15 Jun 2002 10:11PM GMT
Surnames: Riley from County Caven, Ireland
David, Your message caught my eye because you mentioned your ancestor coming from County Caven, Ireland. We think our John Riley came from there to Connecticut in 1634. He is possibly the grandfather of James Duncan Riley who married Mary "Polly" Nutt in Wake Co. NC. in 1806. James Duncan's descendants migrated to Alabama & Tennessee.
By the way I have a record here for Miles Riley who received a Virginia Colonial Land Grant in Rappahannock Co. in 1663
for 200 acres of land & again in 1665 for 1100 acres. Some one sent this to me & the address looks like http://WWW.geocites.com~rewoodnam/rileyva.(can't make out the last word) This Miles could have been a descendant of your Miles. Let me know if this helps you.
Opal (Riley) Hinson
Hins346@aol.com

Re: Miles Riley of County Cavan

DanRiley97 (View posts)
Posted: 21 Nov 2001 1:57PM GMT
Edited: 8 Nov 2004 4:45AM GMT
Would you happen to know what ship your ancestor came over on in 1634? I would be inetrerested in exchanging documents or sources with you. E-Mail me direct, at ds_riley@hotmail.com. Thanks, David S. Riley
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions