Search for content in message boards

Joel BUTLER -- 1785

Joel BUTLER -- 1785

SCooper (View posts)
Posted: 18 Aug 2006 6:15PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 20 Aug 2006 9:13PM GMT
My Great Great Grandfather was Samuel Butler son of Benjamen Franklin Butler>>>>hows the research going for everyone. I am just beginning but am stuck at Joel Butler (1785)...any hints?

Thanks!!!

Re: Joel BUTLER - b. 1785 SC

Bruce Butler (View posts)
Posted: 19 Aug 2006 11:45AM GMT
Edited: 12 Jan 2009 6:52PM GMT
Yes, there are at least two possibilities that I know of both born in Fairfield Co. SC in 1785.

One Joel born to James Butler b. 1740 in Isle of Wight Co. VA

The other Joel born to a Benjamin Butler b. 1765 Culpeper Co. VA.

Re: Joel BUTLER

Stacy (View posts)
Posted: 19 Aug 2006 1:33PM GMT
Edited: 20 Aug 2006 9:17PM GMT
The Joel Born to the Benjamen Butler of Culpepper is not mine however the Joel born to James sounds correct. I have seen James listed in other trees but without sources. What sources do you have and do you care to share with me? My Joel lived in Lincoln Co. TN for a while but died in Hopkins Co...I have dates but my papers are not at my side at the moment. Thanks!

Stacy

Re: Joel BUTLER

Bruce Butler (View posts)
Posted: 19 Aug 2006 2:09PM GMT
Edited: 20 Aug 2006 9:16PM GMT
Well, as for Joel son of James Butler b. 1740 in Isle of Wight Co. VA, I am a descendant of this Joel's brother Enoch. Most of my source is from the following:
http://worldconnect.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=REG&...
I have corresponded with Gwen Hobbs and I do know that some of her dates are incorrect and she believes Joel died in SC. This could be true but I notified her of the other Joel who moved to TN and KY. As it turns out, James Butler's whole family moved from SC to KY also. It is very likely this family is related to the Butlers from Edgefield SC too.

However, from the following it appears that your Joel is the son of Benjamin Butler b. 1765 in Culpeper VA:
http://worldconnect.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&...

There is also the possibility that these two Joel's have been confused by other researchers.

You can see my line here:
http://members.cox.net/bbutler31/bruce.html

Note: I am not certain of anything beyond James. As near as I can tell, there were only 5 William Butlers in Virginia at that time and I've eliminated 4 of them from my line. William the son of Joshua is the remaining William Butler and he did have a son named James. Plus, Thomas Butler of Kent Island was given 1000 acres of land in what is now Isle of Wight Co. in 1635. William, James, Thomas and John are the four most common names for Butler families which makes it very hard for most researchers.

Re: Joel BUTLER - b. 1785 SC

Tempusfugit (View posts)
Posted: 19 Aug 2006 2:30PM GMT
Edited: 12 Jan 2009 6:52PM GMT
My Joel Butler (at least i think?) was born in 1785 in SC but died in 1870 in HOPKINS county KY. The confusion is that there were 2 Benjamen Franklin Butlers and Joel Butlers. All have ties to SC, TN and KY. Most of my Butlers resided in Hopkins Co. KY

Im looking for info on a supposed murder committed by a Joel Butler who then changed his last name to Woodard. this would have been in Hopkins Co. Ky. He supposedly murdered his brother, changed his name, and left KY with his wife's sister. If you have any info let me know.

Thanks!
Stacy

Joel BUTLER - b. 1845 KY

jo4bush (View posts)
Posted: 12 Jan 2009 6:49AM GMT
Edited: 12 Jan 2009 6:53PM GMT
Surnames: BUTLER, WOODARD, TUCKER
Joel BUTLER b.7 Mar 1845 KY d. 16 Mar 1921 OK-? was a quiet man of mystery to his descendants through Susan Virginia WADE. Susan was the younger sister of Joel's first wife, Martha E. WADE. Joel and Susan moved from Hopkins County, KY after 1872 to the Oklahoma Indian Territory. I am aware of three daughters being born to them: Ardella and Ida (twins, born 7 Oct 1872) and Dora. Upon his deathbed, he admitted to "killing a man over a woman" and told his daughters that their surname was incorrect. Joel had taken the last name WOODARD, which was his mother's maiden name, and used BUTLER as his middle name during his years in Oklahoma. It is unknown to me who it was that Joel killed, but I have found information submitted by others in the Pedigree Resource File at www.familysearch.org which helped me to connect some loose ends. Ardella married William Jasper TUCKER on 21 May 1890 in Red River County, TX. They had 12 children. As for a namesake, their tenth child, a son, was named JB--just the letters; no periods between the letters, no spelled out name. It was quietly (and rarely) spoken that JB stood for Joel Butler.

Additional information available.
I am seeking a marriage date/place for Joel BUTLER and Susan Virginia WADE...and any other info that sheds light on this family.

Jody

Re: Joel BUTLER - b. 1845

Tempusfugit (View posts)
Posted: 12 Jan 2009 2:20PM GMT
Edited: 12 Jan 2009 6:54PM GMT
Email me at bossmare@att.net
I have a long detailed which details the Butler family. There were 2 Joel Butlers in the family. The Joel of which you speak is the grandson of Joel Butler and the son of WG Butler. WG Butler was married to Sarah Woodard. Would be glad to share what info I have but I havent been able to work much on my geneology in the last year or so since I broke my arm.

Thanks for sharing,

Stacy

Re: Joel BUTLER - b. 1845 KY

LindaGrinnell71 (View posts)
Posted: 17 Apr 2012 1:40AM GMT
Hi everyone,

I had my dna done through 23andme.com a couple of years ago and I had a huge match with a Pamela who it turns out is a descendant of Joel Butler and second wife Susan Virginia Wade. All the things I have learned about Joel's secret life was good but the dna really proved it to me.

Has anyone found anything new in the last few years?

Linda Rogers Grinnell
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions