Search for content in message boards

Dowling Apple - John or Wilson S. Dowling

Dowling Apple - John or Wilson S. Dowling

deldowling (View posts)
Posted: 5 Jul 2001 3:03PM GMT
Surnames: Dowling
My grandfather, Wilson S. Dowling was born in 1850 or 51, probably in Ohio. He was married to Edith Fannie Lane, born 1852 in Ohio. Wilson's father was John Dowling born in 1812 in New York. He was married to Phebe, born 1814 in PA. Oral family history relates that John Dowling was a horticulturist and that the Dowling apple was named for him. I understand that there are still some Dowling apple trees growing in PA. I don't have a clue as to how John was in NY, married someone in PA and had a son born in OH. Answers anyone?

Re: Dowling Apple - John or Wilson S. Dowling

R.S. Dowling (View posts)
Posted: 20 Jul 2001 3:07AM GMT
My grandfather was John Charles Dowling, Born aproximately 1849. Could this be a brother to your grandfather? Or a cousin? Anything would be appreciated.
EBDowling@AOL.com

Shirley Jackman (View posts)
Posted: 2 Apr 2003 7:11PM GMT
Classification: Query
John Peter Dowling was born in Ovid Ny. His father James had come over from Ireland and married Sallie Harris b. in Providence RI.The family then moved to Washington Co Ohio . John Peter was named for his grandfather in Ireland
John P Dowling married Phoebe Perkins in 1836 and they raised af amily in Fearing townshipWashington Co Ohio. I have been working on the first John Peter Dowling who lived in Ballintoy co Antrim. I never hear or read of Dowling apple. John Peter was a farmer and aJustice of the Peace in Washington Co.

Del Dowling (View posts)
Posted: 3 Apr 2003 3:08AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Dowling
Thank you very much for the information, Do you also have information on James the father and John Peter the grandfather? I had known about the NY connection, but hadn't located the exact information you provided.

The "Dowling Apple" story comes from my Ohio family of Washington Co. We recently moved and my files are still packed away "somewhere". Yhr story is that a Dowling was a horticulturist (farmer?) in PA and developed the Dowling apple. When I lived in MD I heard reference to it on a PBS TV show. Looking forward to being senile so I can remember perhaps more to the story. Then too it may just be a story.

Thanks again.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions