Search for content in message boards

Lovick P. Dykes

Lovick P. Dykes

Phil Wood (View posts)
Posted: 20 May 2005 8:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
My Greatgrandmother's maiden name was Rhoda Dykes. Her Grandfather was Lovick P. Dykes who fought at The Battle of San Jacinto here in Texas. They lived in the Nacogdoches area. If anyone has info on these people please contact me.

Re: Lovick P. Dykes

Nancy Abraham (View posts)
Posted: 7 Sep 2005 1:25AM GMT
Phil, I have info on your Lovick Pinkham Dykes/Dikes. He was a brother to my gg grandfather, Mark W. Dikes. If you will e-mail me, I can give you quite a bit of info, and if you don't have it, the parents to Lovick and my Mark were George Parker Dikes and Judy Beauchamp and the Dikes and Beauchamp trace back to the 1600s.

I don't have much info on Rhoda Maddox (the wife of Lovick), and you may be able to bring me info on your g grandmother Rhoda's siblings' spouses and children.

Nancy

Phil Wood (View posts)
Posted: 8 Sep 2005 7:33PM GMT
Hello Nancy, my name is Phil Wood. Here is the info you requested. One of Lovick's sons is George Washington Dykes. He married Amanda ????. Their children are James H. Dykes, Eliza J. Dykes, Rhoda Malinda Dykes ( my Greatgrandmother ), George Dykes, Sarah A Dykes. Rhoda married Arthur Crawford Wood on April 18, 1878 in Milam, Tx. Arthur served in the 39th Alabama Infintry, Co. B, for the CSA. His mother, Mary, sevred as Asst. Quartermaster. She is one of the few women that were enrolled as a soldier in the CSA. Arthur was wounded in the leg and even though he did not lose his leg, he complained about it alot.
Their children are (child means deceased at birth) (1) Child Wood (2) Forrest Wood (3) John Wood (4) Thaddeus Wood (5) Ernest Wayne Wood (my Grandfather) (6) Child Wood (7) George F. Wood (8) Lilburn Wood (9) Lillian Mae Wood (10) Newell Wood (11) Sarah Alice Wood (12) Nicholas Wood. They lived on a farm in Chriestman Tx., just outside of Caldwell. Unfortunately Arthur died in 1900 (he is buried in The Texas State Cemetery in Austin) leaving Rhoda with all those children but they all were able to find jobs and help support the family. Later, my Grandfather had a cafe and 5 shoestores and she helped him run the businesses. In her senior years Rhoda lived with George in San Antonio and died there in 1933.
I'm trying to find out where Lovick is buried or if you may know of any of my decendants or where the Dykes family land was located in Nacogdoches Co. Anything of interest would be greatly appreciated.
Let me tell you what I have in case you don't have these documents. I can send or FAX you copies. Copy of a "Character Certificate" for George P. Dykes and his four sons and a photocopy of the actual passport for George P. Dykes to travel through Cherokee Indian territory.
If you would like to e-mail me direct I'm at thephilwood1@netscape.com. Hope to hear from you soon- Phil Wood

lindadwillis1 (View posts)
Posted: 14 Aug 2007 8:16AM GMT
From your message, I assume you have gotten lots of inquiries about Rhoda MADDOX Dykes. I am her descendant through her second marriage to Thomas H. Stovall. However, I am interested in research of the Dykes family, for information on Rhoda's children of Lovick Dykes and to possibly find information on Rhoda's parents. If Rhoda was born in 1810 in IL, as the censuses say, she had to have married Lovick P. Dykes in either IL or AL or TX. Was Lovick Dykes ever in Illinois, for instance, would be one of my questions. I'd be happy to share what information I have and hope to hear from you. Who were your father, mother and grandparents?

lindadwillis1 (View posts)
Posted: 14 Aug 2007 8:18AM GMT
Surnames: Maddox, Dykes/Dikes, Stovall
Nancy, I am researching Rhoda MADDOX (Dykes) Stovall. I'd be interested in correspoding with you and hope to hear from you.

NancyAbraham46 (View posts)
Posted: 14 Aug 2007 4:04PM GMT
Phil, I don't think I ever got notice of your message above. I got one today from another Dikes/Stovall researcher and when I went to this site, I found your message also. Did you and I exchange info? If not, would be happy to do so.

Posted: 14 Aug 2007 4:09PM GMT
Linda, I would be happy to exchange what Stovall/Dikes info I have with you. I think you can just click on my name and you will find my e-mail address. If not, reply back here and I will get in touch with you.

Posted: 15 Aug 2007 6:42PM GMT
Looks like you can't contact me by clicking on my name. Contact me by alannancy@sbcglobal.net

thephilwood (View posts)
Posted: 20 Aug 2007 2:11AM GMT
Surnames: Dykes
Nancy, I don't think we ever did. You can contact me at thephilwood@hotmail.com

NancyAbraham27 (View posts)
Posted: 22 Sep 2007 6:38PM GMT
Am not really sure where Lovick and Rhoda married. The Dikes family came to TX in about 1830 and I have their marriage date as about 1832, but George Parker Dikes (father of Lovick) did spend some time in IL, just don't know when he left with family. Lovick's brother, Mark Washington (my gg grandfather) is said to have been born in 1812 in AL. So, I don't know about Rhoda but I have her b. in IL in abt 1811 (probably got that from later census). I descend from Mark Washington Dikes and Diana Perry through their daughter, Amanda Dikes, who m. William Riley Stillwell. One of their children was my grandfather, Albert Riley Stillwell, who is the father of my mother. Please feel free to e-mail me. A Jari Dikes gave me lots of Stovall info. You can find that on my website www.RoutonandRiddle.com I will be away from the computer during the month of Oct so if you contact me, don't think I am ignoring you.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions