Search for content in message boards

Irwin/Fetters

Irwin/Fetters

DAVIDCAMPBELL602 (View posts)
Posted: 22 Jul 2010 12:05AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Irwin, Fetters, Weilman
I have researched the family of my mother, whose mother was Martha Ellen Irwin of Trinity. The old Irwin log cabin is just south of Trinity, now in ruins. Her father was "Joe" Irwin--the best information I have right now was that Joe was Josephus, born in 1849 in Lewis County, and son of Joseph B. Irwin, who was also born in Kentucy. Jocephus married a Margaret (Maggie) Fetters and his father Joseph was married to a Melinda Weilman. I have found no evidence of an 1880 census in Lewis Co. Does anyone else have any information. I have no dates or places of death for either Joes.

Re: Irwin/Fetters

Joyce1812va1 (View posts)
Posted: 5 Oct 2010 4:50PM GMT
Finding where you have gotten the wives mixed.

Kentucky Death record shows the two following sons of Joseph Irwin and Malinda Fetters... not Weilman as you posted.

son: Thomas Irwin born 1851 died 1936 in Mason Ky
spouse Jane Sears
father Joseph Irwin
mother Malinda Fetters
died of acute indegestion at age 84

the other son
John C. Irwin
born 1844 died 1920 at age 76 of a cereberal hemmorage
was son of
Joseph Irwin and Malinda Fetters

will see what I can find out for you and get this straightened out.

Joyce1812va1 (View posts)
Posted: 6 Oct 2010 12:36AM GMT
1820 Lewis Ky shows one Michael Felter as head of household.
Could possibly be the father of Margaret Fetters later in life.

Posted: 7 Oct 2010 1:48PM GMT
Surnames: Irwin, Fetters
Thanks Joyce, for the reply. I am away from my records for a couple of weeks and will look back on my research when I get back to them.

Posted: 2 Sep 2013 1:18AM GMT
Yes, I checked the death certificates and they show Malinda Fetters as parent of Thomas and John C. and by deduction, wife of Joseph Irwin. I also have Joseph and Malinda's son Josephus marrying a Margaret Fetters -- it would certainly be possible and maybe likely in the day and age, to marry a cousin, especially a distant cousin. There seem to be a lot of holes in the census data for that area. Thanks for the help.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions