Search for content in message boards

DNA for willis family branches

DNA for willis family branches

irishtraveller (View posts)
Posted: 5 Feb 2009 3:38AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Willis, Wylles, Welles
FYI:

We did the y-dna test for our Willis ancestral line and discovered it to be R1a1 (Via a Traveller ancestor from New Hampshire). Also found an apprenticed male here on ancestry.com surnamed Willis serving a family surnamed Partridge in mid-1600's New Hampshire, so maybe that is our ancestor.

In looking at the other test results across the USA it seems interesting that the results breakdown into predominantly R1b1b2 y-dna for most of the willis lines.

But here are the other y-dna lines for Willis in USA:

E1b1b1: Georgia/North Carolina ancestors
G: Herkimer County, NY/Huron County, Ohio ancestry
I1: Scotland and Pennsylvania ancestry
I2b: Wiltshire England/Long Island, New York (Quakers)

Has anyone else done the y-dna test for their Willis line?

I figure most came with the English before the Revolutionary War. Also, Georgia's one of the original 13 colonies but Hernando de Soto was exploring the area 'round 1540. Haplogroup G is Middle eastern and maybe that line has Moorish explanations.

In 1718 5 ships came into Boston from Ireland and since the english and newcomers had some negative feelings for each other, many of the Scots Irish headed for other areas...like New Hampshire, PA, and other inland regions.

I guess our R1a1 in our Willis may be explained by the Norse Vikings adventures in Scotland/Ireland.

Also, I noticed during my searching that there were surnames of Willis, Welles, and Wyllys around Tolland, CT. Maybe people's writing preferences can explain the variety, I don't know. Here in the modern day, my name gets altered too. It comes down to either asking or assuming.

Any other thoughts?

Re: DNA for willis family branches

pmed8 (View posts)
Posted: 6 Feb 2009 4:43PM GMT
Surnames: Willis
Where to start....

Has anyone else done the y-dna test for their Willis line?

Yes. www.willisdna.com has a project with many many members tested with FTDNA.

There is also a project at Ancestry.com with approximately 50 members at present. If you tested with FTDNA and would like to join the Ancestry project there is a method to manually enter your results. If you tested with Ancestry you can just join the project.

As far as the variations in spelling and YDNA.... Ethnicity, Location, and Dialect often affect spelling and pronunciation in many different ways. Sometimes I find Willis men on census reports that the takers listed in many many different ways. I just chalk it up to misunderstanding or the effects of illiteracy.

Michael Willis
pmed8@hotmail.com
Ancestry Willis Project Admin

Posted: 6 Feb 2009 8:53PM GMT
Thanks Michael.

We tested through FTDNA. I did not consider ethnicity, location, or dialect as reasons which would affect spelling and pronunciation.

I am so happy to have the dna results...it helps in the search.

judywillis01 (View posts)
Posted: 26 Sep 2009 9:41PM GMT
Surnames: WILLIS
MY FIRST WILLIS ANCESTORS CAME FROM FENNY COMPTON ENGLAND IN 1635 5 BROTHERS CAME TOGETHER ,THE 1ST OF MY LINE WAS DEACON JOHN WHO MARRIED ELIZABETH HODGKINS IN 1637 THEY CAME TO PLYMOUTH DUXBURY -I AM THE LINE OF THEIR SON BORN IN 1541 COMFORTWILLIS ,THIS SON SAMUAL 1 WILLIS ,ON TWO SAMUEL 2 WILLIS TO NATHAN 1 WILLIS WHO MOVED FROM MA. TO NEW HAMPSHIRE AD VERMONT ON TO NATHAN 2 BORN IN VERMONT HE MOVED IN 1811 TO MARILLA NEW YORK . HIS SON EUGENE ,MY GRANDFATHER JOHN E ,MY FATHER HOWARD M.
WE DID HAVE SOME SCOT AND IRISH IN THE FAMILIES IN THE EARLIER YEARS
PLEASE SEE MY FAMILY TREE I AM 69 MY GRANDFATHER LIVED WITH US FOR 5 YEARS IN THE 50S WHEN I WAS A TEEN AND I HAVE MANY STORIES.HE REMEMBERS HIS GRANDFATHER AND HIS UNCLE JAMES TELLING STORIES OF THE WILLIS BOYS MY TREE IS WILLIS EBLING DYKSTRA,HODGKINS
JUDITH A WILLIS

Posted: 27 Sep 2009 12:45AM GMT
Surnames: willis, drake
Thank you for the information.

Do you happen to know what this line of Willis is as far as dna? (If it is R1a1 then this is perhaps my father's line.)

The other willises on the family tree dna project are not R1a1.

When we had a match w/someone in the Lost colony of Roanoke project (12/12 markers )surnamed Squires i thought maybe an ancestor had assimilated into the native tribe at that time period and they just became "Squire's" as in a possessive form.

Anyway, i still do not understand enough about the markers but we did 37 and now there is a closer match to Drake than to any Willis on the willis dna project.

Let me know what the dna is from this Willis line if possible it will surely help.

lindadwillis1 (View posts)
Posted: 20 Sep 2010 2:31PM GMT
My uncle did the DNA test for me, and the results were G (G1a, I think it is, but the 1a is a later refinement. I guess G is enough). This means that the earliest ancestor was from the Western shore of the Caspian (I think) Sea close to Georgia (Russia) and possibly related to Sythians (gold masters). Most of these Willis men in America styled themselves as blacksmiths. They came to Massachusetts around Lynn and then Taunton and then to CT and on to Northern NJ where they opened an iron-making facility (can't think of the right word right off) and made ammunition in Morris Co., NJ throughout the Revolutionary War. By 1830, when the railroad began to expand across NJ and point westward, my ancestor went to Boone Co., MO; his son went on to Texas. We have a very good book of research about the earliest generations in Morris Co., NJ with information that points back to Fenny Compton. However, with the DNA results so various in the lines pointing to Fenny Compton, I have a lot of questions!

Willis_Astrid (View posts)
Posted: 20 Nov 2010 10:46PM GMT
Heisan Irish "Willis" traveller,
My husband's name : Willie Richard Willis of Louisiana,USA, his family most likely came from Virginia via Georgia around the Civil War years, but I have a feeling he may also have relatives from U.K. and I loved your part re : Willis may be explained by the Norse Vikings adventures in Scotland/Ireland, since I am Norwegian.
Thanks again for sharing.

Posted: 21 Nov 2010 6:02PM GMT
Hi Astrid.

Thanks for the reply. Do you know if your Willis line is also R1a? (That would be good evidence of a matching Viking ancestor for us both.)

I have been trying to figure it all out since my brother took the test last 2007. Let me know all right?

Best wishes, Carla

Willis_Astrid (View posts)
Posted: 22 Nov 2010 2:24AM GMT
Surnames: Willis, Williams, Street, Grimes, Gundersen, Fjelle, Carlsen
Carla, what a great surprise, you answered my message.
I will ask my son Eric to look at his DNA papers. I should tell you that I am almost 100 % Norwegian with a little Swedish trown in for luck! My mother traced our family roots on both her side & my father's side, all the way back to the first Norwegian kings.(By the way, in Norway most of the original citizens can trace their roots back like that, only few have done so, but it is getting more popular now.) I am also 6th cousin to the Norwegian Queen Sonja, as King Harald married a commoner, smile, just like his son & daughter have done. Nothing like getting some fresh blood.
My husband Richard, who passed away last year is African American, with American Indian from both his Mom & Dad's ancestors and I am sure a lot of white ancestors thrown in. When my son got his DNA,I remember he was very surprised of the great mix. My children therefore are all half Norwegian & my oldest son Kjell was born in Norway. I am sure this a much longer message than you expected, but I was so happy to hear back from you; a fellow Willis researcher. Take care & I hope you have a safe & wonderful Thanksgiving.

salsdaycare1 (View posts)
Posted: 2 Apr 2011 4:26PM GMT
Hi,

I had my Father do the 37 marker Y DNA test, and the results were we are in the R1b1a2a1a1a4 group. My line is Clyde/Merrill/Abner/McKinzie (*Irish Traveller, I've seen your name come up when I've had hints for my tree).

I also found out that we are related to another Abner Willis from Washington County, VA (from DNA results), that we had absolutely NO IDEA about, and are trying to find where we connect between my tree and their tree.

We matched one person with exactly 37 out of 37 markers, and 2 others with 36 out of 37 markers and had many other fairly close results! When you match 37 out of 37 markers, you should be related within 1-5 generations I believe it said, so that is awesome.

I will be upgrading to the 67 marker test for my dad eventually.

I am excited to let my other willis families know. It's 1,000% worth it. You may pay a little bit more then you want, but the RESULTS are yours FOR LIFE! WORTH IT!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions