Search for content in message boards

Eleanor HUSTON - b. 1817 OH

Eleanor HUSTON - b. 1817 OH

Warren Boruff (View posts)
Posted: 6 Mar 2005 2:39AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 13 Jul 2009 1:42PM GMT
Looking for info on Eleanor Huston born 1817 in Carroll Co. Ohio who married a John L Dillon. They were in Vinton County, Ohio. Does anyone have info?? Warren

Re: Eleanor Huston

jgrezlik60 (View posts)
Posted: 13 Jul 2009 3:23AM GMT
Edited: 13 Jul 2009 1:42PM GMT
Surnames: Huston, McQueen
Eleanor Huston was the daughter of John C. Huston and Nancy McQueen of Carroll co. Ohio. I have information on the McQueen's but not on any of John C.'s family.

Madhappy (View posts)
Posted: 16 Jul 2009 7:35PM GMT
I have been searching for years for Eleanor Hustons parents. Thank you so much for informing me. I even tried to decipher old census records for Eleanor's parents , but they only listed children male or female with no names. I could never figure who might have been her father. Thanks again. How did you ever search out her father as John C Huston. He was one of the possibilities I considered. Do you have any other Huston info even if its small I can have. I would be interested in the McQueens also. What do you know about the Dillon Family. For years everyone had Eleanor Huston's husband John L Dillon's parents as Henry Dillon and Anna Leeper. Now I see on Rootsweb researchers are saying John L Dillon's father was a Peter Dillon? Do you know what thats about. I may need to correct my notes. Thanks Madeline and Warren

jgrezlik60 (View posts)
Posted: 21 Jul 2009 9:42PM GMT
Classification: Biography
Edited: 23 Jul 2009 2:25PM GMT
Surnames: McQueen, Dillon, Huston, Cunningham, Robinson
I have recently come into the possession of copies of John c. Huston's family Bible. It solved and answered questions for many. I had not even had all the names of the children even though I was aware that there were several from the census. Eleanor was the oldest. I had suspected she belonged to John C. & Nancy because of the mother's maiden name and the location of these family groups. They were very clannish! this is a case where knowing the area and the names associated with it, is very helpful.

I know from records that John C. Huston was the Justice of the Peace in Harrison Co. and maybe Carroll Co. Ohio in the early 1800's. I think he and Eleanor may have come into Ohio shortly after they were married. They came from Washington Co. PA. Good luck sorting through the Huston's there!!! The Bible lists a Benjamin F. Huston d. 1841. I believe this is John C's father. No other information was given, nor was a location. John C. & Eleanor probably came here either because Eleanor's family was already in the process of moving here or some other relative was. Dillon's included, all roads lead to Washington Co. PA for this group, McQueen's, Dillon's, Huston's, Robinson's, Cunningham's. I think you get the picture. They are all Scots or Scotch-Irish. They all settled in the Tuscarawas, Harrison, Carroll Co. area. They didn't move as much as the counties moved and evolved around them.

As to John L. Dillon, stay with the Henry and Ann Leeper Dillon until someone can send you or hand you a legal document that says otherwise. Why, because the Henry Dillon family is one that is connected (blood & location wise) in a couple lines to the McQueen's and the rest of the group mentioned above and second because there are a lot of people out there these days that are just lumping people together because it is easier than doing real research. Even some of the LDS members do not seem to be above this, as I have found some of my ancestors connected to the wrong lines and SEALED to the church!!!! It would be a real surprise for some of them to find out they were supposed to have had that child!!

Also on John L. Dillon, he is supposed to be the brother of Jane Dillon who was married to Amon McQueen, James Dillon that married Rachel McQueen and William who married Sarah Scott, all from the Carroll Co. Ohio area. They all ended up in Vinton Co. Ohio. There is one more sister but I don't have anything on her. Henry Dillon was living with his daughter Jane McQueen on the 1860 census. If I recall the census taker did not list Jane's name as Jane or at least it is not indexed as Jane, James instead.

Please contact me on my email so I may send you additional information.
Jane

jgrezlik60 (View posts)
Posted: 21 Jul 2009 9:45PM GMT
Surnames: McQueen, Huston
Sorry forgot to add email: jcgrezlik@bright.net

Re: Eleanor HUSTON - b. 1817 OH

leepsw (View posts)
Posted: 28 Dec 2010 1:36AM GMT
Under another post in this string, I have posted information on John L. Dillon who apparently married this Eleanor Huston. Per my information, John L. Dillon (b. ~1812 in Pennsylvania) was the son of Henry and Ann Leeper Dillon. I have information on the family of Ann Leeper (b. ~1775, probably in York Co. Pennsylvania), the daughter of James and Mary Jane "Jennie" Amspoker Leeper. I can be reached at leepsw@frontier.com.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions