Patti and Sam,
My g.g.grandmother was Lavina "Vina" Millsaps (1)Wallace (2)Harkins. She was the daughter of Jonathan Millsaps and Cassie Tucker (from Monroe County, TN). Her 2nd husband (my g.g.grandfather) was Benjamin Austin Harkins whom she married in March of 1864. His wife had died in Dec. 1863 and during the winter of 1864 B.A., along with his family and his brother Berkie Harkins' family left Union County, Georgia for Indiana to wait out the Civil War. He met and married Lavina on his way to Indiana. After the Civil War, they moved back to Georgia.
Jonathan Millsaps (Lavina's father) was the son of Jesse Millsaps and Mary (Polly) Hyder. The lineage (as far back as I've put together from other's I've met on the Internet, FamilySearch, etc. is as follows):
Descendants of William Millsaps
Generation No. 1
1. WILLIAM1 MILLSAPS was born Abt. 1653 in Tyrone County, Ireland, and died Unknown. He married ELIZABETH ?. She was born Abt. 1657 in Tyrone County, Ireland, and died Unknown.
Child of WILLIAM MILLSAPS and ELIZABETH ? is:
2. i. THOMAS2 MILLSAPS, b. 1679, Tyrone County, Ireland; d. May 1760, Stantan (Augusta County), Virginia.
Generation No. 2
2. THOMAS2 MILLSAPS (WILLIAM1) was born 1679 in Tyrone County, Ireland, and died May 1760 in Stantan (Augusta County), Virginia. He married MARY POPLIN POPLAR 1706 in Augusta County, Virgina. She was born 1684 in Ireland, and died August 19, 1761 in Augusta, Virgina.
Child of THOMAS MILLSAPS and MARY POPLAR is:
3. i. ROBERT3 MILLSAPS, b. Bet. 1734 - 1740, Ireland; d. 1793.
Generation No. 3
3. ROBERT3 MILLSAPS (THOMAS2, WILLIAM1) was born Bet. 1734 - 1740 in Ireland, and died 1793. He married ELLEN (ELLENDER) KING 1753 in Augusta, Virginia. She was born Abt. 1730 in Virginia, and died Bet. 1793 - 1796 in Randolph County, NC.
Child of ROBERT MILLSAPS and ELLEN KING is:
4. i. JANE4 MILLSAPS, b. 1757, Stanton (Augusta County), Virginia; d. Aft. August 1846, Cocke, Tennessee.
Generation No. 4
4. JANE4 MILLSAPS (ROBERT3, THOMAS2, WILLIAM1) was born 1757 in Stanton (Augusta County), Virginia, and died Aft. August 1846 in Cocke, Tennessee. She married (1) UNKNOWN. He was born Unknown, and died Unknown. She married (2) SAMUEL YATES.
Child of JANE MILLSAPS and UNKNOWN is:
5. i. JESSE5 MILLSAPS, b. 1768, Randolph County, NC; d. 1840, Monroe County, Tennessee.
Generation No. 5
5. JESSE5 MILLSAPS (JANE4, ROBERT3, THOMAS2, WILLIAM1) was born 1768 in Randolph County, NC, and died 1840 in Monroe County, Tennessee. He married MARY (POLLY) HYDER April 02, 1799 in Monroe County, Tennessee. She was born 1770 in Carter County, Tennessee, and died Unknown.
Child of JESSE MILLSAPS and MARY HYDER is:
6. i. JONATHAN6 MILLSAPS, b. Abt. 1810; d. Unknown.
Generation No. 6
6. JONATHAN6 MILLSAPS (JESSE5, JANE4, ROBERT3, THOMAS2, WILLIAM1) was born Abt. 1810, and died Unknown. He married CASSIE TUCKER. She was born Unknown, and died Unknown.
Child of JONATHAN MILLSAPS and CASSIE TUCKER is:
7. i. LAVINA "VINA"7 MILLSAPS, b. May 10, 1841, Monroe County, Tennessee; d. August 04, 1905, Union County, Georgia.
Generation No. 7
7. LAVINA "VINA"7 MILLSAPS (JONATHAN6, JESSE5, JANE4, ROBERT3, THOMAS2, WILLIAM1) was born May 10, 1841 in Monroe County, Tennessee, and died August 04, 1905 in Union County, Georgia. She married (1) WADE H. WALLACE March 08, 1861 in Monroe County, Tennessee. He was born 1841, and died May 06, 1862. She married (2) BENJAMIN AUSTIN HARKINS March 29, 1864 in Roane County, Tennessee, son of THOMAS HARKINS and ABIGAIL ?. He was born May 12, 1819 in Buncombe County, North Carolina, and died June 08, 1901 in Union County, Georgia.
Notes for LAVINA "VINA" MILLSAPS:
According to Marvine Towe Gilbreath, Vina and B. A. Harkins lived in Harrison County, Indiana from 1864 - 1865.
More About LAVINA "VINA" MILLSAPS:
Burial: Buried in Spriggs Chapel Cemetery; Union County, Georgia
More About WADE H. WALLACE:
Burial: Killed near Morristown, Tennessee during the Civil War
Notes for BENJAMIN AUSTIN HARKINS:
Benjamin Austin Harkins is buried on a knoll near Coopers Creek that overlooks where his homestead was.
I am not sure where information on two children of B. A. Harkins and his first wife came from. More than likely, this information came from my great-aunt, Marvine Towe Gilbreath. The two daughters, Emiline and Avaline Luthrilda are the two I found in notes I had made at some point in time.
Tony Pope; December 19, 2000
Child of LAVINA MILLSAPS and WADE WALLACE is:
8. i. MARY JANE8 WALLACE, b. March 18, 1862, Morristown, Tennessee (Hamblin County); d. June 29, 1944, Folsom (Bartow County), Georgia.
Children of LAVINA MILLSAPS and BENJAMIN HARKINS are:
ii. SHERMAN8 HARKINS, b. 1866.
9. iii. GRANT HARKINS, b. September 12, 1868; d. January 01, 1941.
iv. MARTHA E. HARKINS, b. 1872.
v. MONTIVILLE HARKINS, b. 1873.
vi. LONNIE HARKINS, b. 1875.
10. vii. LAURA LOUELLA HARKINS, b. May 10, 1876, Union County, Georgia; d. October 18, 1952, Rome, Georgia (at the home of her dgtr. Pearl Pope).
viii. CHARLIE C. HARKINS, b. 1879.