Search for content in message boards

James T Armstrong

James T Armstrong

Gregory Stogsdill (View posts)
Posted: 10 May 2010 4:35PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Armstrong
I am searching for any information about a James T Armstrong. Known information- He was a Rough Rider during the Spanish American War. Born about 1870, in Kentucky. I am searching for anything I can about him, especially family members, i.e. siblings, parents, spouse...

Re: James T Armstrong

Diane Armstrong (View posts)
Posted: 26 Aug 2013 12:36AM GMT
Classification: Military
Edited: 26 Aug 2013 12:43AM GMT
Surnames: Armstrong
This is my great grandfather. I have his "Last Man's Club" card. It certifies that he was on of Roosevelt's Rough Riders. He served in Troop K of the US Volenteer Cavalry. My dad has his hat.

Birth: Aug. 6, 1870
Louisville
Jefferson County
Kentucky, USA
Death: Apr. 30, 1944, USA

James' parents have been identified as John Armstrong and Standifer. His wife was Mary Elizabeth Fuller and their identified children were John Gilliam, Lawrence F., and Elizabeth Evelyn.

(Johnny was my grandpa, James Lawrence-my father and John Charles-my little brother and my nephew-James Charles.)

On 29 May 1898, San Antonio, Texas; James T. Armstrong enlisted as a Private with Troop K of the 1st US Volunteer Cavalry (The Rough Riders). On 24 June, he was engaged in the Battle of La Guasimas. On 21 July, he was engaged in the taking of San Juan Heights and the Siege of Santiago de Cuba. From 26 to 29 July, he was on sick report and again from 7 to 9 Aug. On 21 Aug, he was sent to the general hospital at Montauk Point. His sickness was contracted in the line of duty. On 15 Sep 1898, Camp Wikoff, Montauk Point, Long Island, New York; James' unit was mustered out of service. On 12 Oct 1898, James was discharged at Fort Sam Houston, Texas. His headstone was ordered on 30 Jun 1944 (Muster Papers).

Burial:
Los Angeles National Cemetery
Los Angeles
Los Angeles County
California, USA
Plot: 125, A-3

Maintained by: truchasnm
Originally Created by: US Veterans Affairs Offi...
Record added: Mar 04, 2000
Find A Grave Memorial# 3685947
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions