Search for content in message boards

Blairs of Inishargy, Ards Up, NIR

Blairs of Inishargy, Ards Up, NIR

Robert Blair (View posts)
Posted: 7 Aug 2003 6:25PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Blair, Walker
James Blair married Ellen (Elinor) Walker, 1824, July 4, in Kircubbin Presbyterian Church. Seek information on this family, esp. son Samuel born 1848(?). Family listed in 1851 census, 11 children.

Re: Blairs of Inishargy, Ards Up, NIR

Hugh Macartney (View posts)
Posted: 8 Aug 2003 4:53AM GMT
Surnames: Blair/Walker - Krcubbin
Mary Louise Beem <gardener@hcctel.net> is willing to do gravestone lookups in the Inishargy, Balliggan and neighbouring graveyards. The Copy of Registers (1813-21) for the Barony of Ards (land leases) only lists one James Blair of Cardy who registered his lease at Newtownards in 1817. There were Blairs farming in Greyabbey in Ballyboghillbow. You might trawl the caora.net and Ros Davies web sites for these two names. The Newtownards and Kircubbin Tithe Aplotments likely would be useful.

MoreenBlair (View posts)
Posted: 13 Aug 2003 10:07PM GMT
Edited: 15 May 2004 9:48PM GMT
Surnames: Blair, Walker
Thanks for your helpful reply, Hugh. I have been supplied the following information about the Blair/Walker marriage: Batch M700361, serial sheet 0161. Does anyone know if this is a PRONI reference?

Posted: 14 Aug 2003 4:04AM GMT
Surnames: Blair, Inishargy
I'm not sure but suspect it is to do with the LDS (Mormon) genealogical library system. You could check with them at your nearest branch. You can also check with the PRONI web site. Perhaps the sender can be more explicit as to where he found it. Brian Killen might know at caora.

Stephen Baldwin (View posts)
Posted: 15 Aug 2003 2:01AM GMT
I dont have any information on the Blairs but I do have information on the Allen family of Inishargy and Kircubbin region. Also on the Grays of Grey Abbey of the same time period 1800-1900. McConnell is another line

I have not encountered anyone else from this region, so I am trying to get as much info as I can.

I also am descended from a Walker line that is Ulster-Irish but I am not sure from where. I can trace back in the US to 1792 and that is it.

best wishes Stephen

Posted: 15 Aug 2003 3:35AM GMT
Surnames: Blair, Inishargie
Anne Gibson, spinster, age 21 of Inishargie married Samuel Blair in Kircubbin Presbyterian church Dec. 13, 1833.
LDS Ref. # 7525325/77
1886 Directory for Kicubbin
ALLEN
Alexander, Balligan, farmer
Robert, Inishargie, farmer
In 1818 at Greyabbey John Allen of Inishargie registered his freehold land at Ballymullen.
Alexander Allen of Dunover registered his land in Dunover in Greyabbeyin 1813.

MoreenBlair (View posts)
Posted: 15 Aug 2003 4:17AM GMT
Edited: 15 May 2004 9:48PM GMT
Thanks for the information. This Samuel Blair looks like a brother to James. I would appreciate any other information on this family you might have.

Allens of Inishargy, Ards Up, NIR

Posted: 21 Aug 2003 4:17AM GMT
Surnames: ALLEN, McCONNEL, GRAY
Thank you for this information Hugh, I am quite positive these are individuals in my Allen line. I am currently working on the Allens of the Ards and this helps fill in a gap. I greatly appreciate your help.

Re: Allens of Inishargy, Ards Up, NIR

Posted: 21 Aug 2003 4:21PM GMT
Surnames: Allen - Barony of Ards
My 1843 directory for Kircubbin lists:
Allen
William, Esq., Barrister
James, Esq., Nun's Quarter
Alexander, Esq., Ballyobigan
The 1886 directory lists:
Alexander, Balligan
Robert, Inishargie

George, Ballywalter
Comber graveyard has three Allen gravestones - family of George Allen of Unicarville, Joseph Allen of Comber and inscription in east window of church regarding George Allen of Unicarvil, born Dec. 12 1816, died Nov. 17, 1886. George seems to have been the local J.P., eldest son of John Allen. George's wife Jane died June 13,1914 aged 90. No Allen gravestone in Movilla cemetery, N'ards. It is clear that the Kircubbin Allens were people of substance and likely were extensive local landowners. A George Allen was listed at Mountpanther, Clough (Newry)in 1886.

Re: Allens of Inishargy, Ards Up, NIR

Posted: 22 Aug 2003 3:21AM GMT
Surnames: ALLEN, GRAY
Your reply helped me some more. I think the Alexander Allen from 1843 directory is the uncle of my GGGgrandfather Hugh Allen. Hugh (b. 1839) was married in 1864 and one of the witnesses was Alexander Allen. Hugh did not have any brothers by that name and 1864 would put the age of lawyer somewhere close to his father Andrew Allen.

The other witness was Ann Jane Gray who is most likely the mother or sister of his wife Agnes Gray b. 1834 (father Samuel)

It appears that many of my Allens were buried in the Kircubbin Presbyterian Graveyard and either married in the 1st Presbyterian Church or the Innishargie Church of Ireland.

I also have several Robert Allens who are part of that group.

As far as owning substantial amount of land, I know that there is an Allen's Hill in Kircubbin that looks down on part of the city. I was able to find a photo at Kircubbin.com

I am attempting to verify that the hill was named after the Allen Family and not some gentleman with the first name Allen.

Thank you for the great information. I am slowly unraveling this family history. I am about to embark on researching more of the Grays of Killyvolgan and Rureah.

Best wishes and thank you for all the information,

Stephen
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions