Search for content in message boards

Hawkins' of Hungerford Township, Ontario (Tweed, Sulphide, Bogart and Stoco)

Hawkins' of Hungerford Township, Ontario (Tweed, Sulphide, Bogart and Stoco)

Ben Hawkins (View posts)
Posted: 5 May 2011 2:26AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 8 Jun 2011 8:44PM GMT
Surnames: Hawkins Delyea Caird
UPDATE: THE "EMMA" MENTIONED BELOW HAS BEEN PROVED TO NOT BE A PART OF MY FAMILY TREE. I HAVE LEFT THIS QUERY UP IN CASE ANYONE ELSE HAS THE SAME QUESTION.

WHAT I HAVE AND CAN PROVE: MICHAEL HAWKINS' PARENTS WERE JOHN JOSEPH HAWKINS AND MARY DELYEA.

JOHN JOSEPH HAWKINS' PARENTS WERE JOHN HAWKINS AND MARY FOLEY.

-----------------------------------------------------------
I am researching the Hawkins name and have hit a speed bump. I have gone back as far as a John Hawkins who married an "Emma". Other family trees suggest Emma's maiden name was Caird, but I haven't found any proof of this yet.

Anyway, John and Emma had Michael Hawkins (27 May 1857 - 21 Jan 1947). He married Alice Murphy (24 Sep 1863 - 29 Mar 1947)on 16 Nov 1885 @ St. Edmund's Church, Stoco, Ontario. I On the Marriage record for Michael Hawkins to Alice Murphy, it lists his parents as John and Emma Hawkins, which isn't helpful in finding a maiden name.

I have the majority of their descendants if anyone is interested.

What I am trying to do is go back past Michael's father John. My problem is that members of my family old enough to remember any stories are fairly certain that either Michael or his father John was married twice. This is a very tricky thing to find and figure out. I personally think that John was the one to be married twice.

I visited the cemeteries in Stoco and Tweed and found a John Hawkins and his wife Amey buried there, along with another John Hawkins and his wife Mary Foley. Through research I have come to find that Amy's maiden name was Delyea.

I also was able to prove that John and Mary Foley are the parents of John Hawkins who is buried with Amey.

I'm thinking that John Hawkins who married Emma, later married Amy Delyea but I can't find any documentation to prove this. I found a family tree containing John and Amey Hawkins with a fairly extensive list of children, one of them being a Michael Hawkins but his date of birth was a few years after the Michael that I have so I don't know if they are the same or not. I have no siblings for my Michael Hawkins so I can't compare that either.

Anyway, if any of you know anything about any of these or need a bit more detail feel free to ask. If my rambling has you so confused here's a quick tree to sum it all up:

John & Emma Hawkins had Micheal Hawkins
-----------------------------
John Hawkins & Mary Foley had John Hawkins

That John Hawkins married an Amy Delyea and they had numerous children I believe, including a Michael Hawkins.
-----------------------------

I believe that the John married to Emma is the same John that married Amy.

Bottom line: John was a very popular name and makes this a very difficult thing to pin point!

Re: Hawkins' of Hungerford Township, Ontario (Tweed, Sulphide, Bogart and Stoco)

CSmigel (View posts)
Posted: 12 Aug 2011 2:18AM GMT
HiBen,

I'm helping a friend research her tree and she is connected to Francis Joseph Hawkins son of Michael and Alice through marriage. I notice you mentioned you had information on the descendents. I was wondering if you had information you could share about Francis and his wife Ada Frances Martin ie: children, death ect.
Thanks,
Lorna

Re: Hawkins' of Hungerford Township, Ontario (Tweed, Sulphide, Bogart and Stoco)

Ben Hawkins (View posts)
Posted: 12 Aug 2011 12:06PM GMT
Surnames: Hawkins
I most certainly do! I also have kind of a neat story about Frank as well.

I will fire you a message when I finish work today with all the information I have!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions