Search for content in message boards

Phettiplace Clouse

Phettiplace Clouse

NanciHess44 (View posts)
Posted: 7 Apr 2008 6:55PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: CLOUSE
Looking for info on how a 15yr old German boy, came to the US from England as an indendured servant...supposedly arrived in 1608.

"Captain John Smith, founded the first English Colony at Jamestown Virginia in 1607. The following are some (1,033) Early Virginia Pioneers Indexed by last name, first name from 1624 records.
Date County/Parish Sta SNDX Last Name First Name
----- ------------------- --- ----- --------------- ---------------

1624 OVER THE RIVER VA C420 CLOSE , Phettiplace

Any clues??

Re: Phettiplace Clouse

jnb05042000 (View posts)
Posted: 3 Jul 2008 4:32PM GMT
I'd be interested to know why you think he was 15 years old, and why you think he was German.

Regards,
James

NanciHess44 (View posts)
Posted: 16 Jul 2008 1:49PM GMT
Surnames: CLOUSE
If you have information to the contrary I would love to have it..the information I have found (from several sources) says "Phettiplace Clouse was born 1593 in Germany. He came to Jamestown, Virginia in 1608 at age 15. He sailed upon the English ship Starr, from London. He worked as an indentured servant for his passage to the first English Colony n America. He was later issued a land grant by Sir George Yeardley for 100 acres on the east bank of the Warwicksqueake River."
Here is shown in 1624 in OVER THE RIVER County tax records.

jnb05042000 (View posts)
Posted: 16 Jul 2008 6:25PM GMT
Mind if I enquire what are these several sources?

The 1624/5 Census shows that Phettiplace Close came to Jamestown in 1608 on the Starr. His age is not given.

He is shown in the 1624/5 Census as the Head of his own Muster, at Pace's Paines. Also resident: two servants (one aged 15), and Daniel Watkins.

If I'm not mistaken, "Phettiplace" is an English name, not a German name. Unless there is proof that Phettiplace Close was born in Germany in 1593 (i.e., an actual birth record, recorded at the time of birth and still existing), it seems to me much more likely that he was English. If you do know of evidence that he was German, could you please explain what the evidence is?

As for whether he was an indentured servant: Phettiplace Close is described in his 1628 patent as an Ancient Planter. That's usually taken to mean that he paid his own passage. Again, if you know of evidence that he was an indentured servant, could you please explain what the evidence is?

Thanks.

James
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions