Search for content in message boards

Confusion... Colonial Virginia Masons (John 1670> John> John> William> Martin)

Confusion... Colonial Virginia Masons (John 1670> John> John> William> Martin)

ijf90 (View posts)
Posted: 15 May 2010 5:21AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 15 May 2010 5:18PM GMT
Surnames: Mason, McKeachy, McKeachey
Can someone please help me confirm and/or add to this line of Masons who were in Virginia (Augusta County) and later moved to Kentucky (Lincoln County)?

1670 John Mason
Born: 1670
Married: to Leah McKeachey, Virginia
Died:
Children: John

1675? Leah McKeachey
Born: Wigtown, Wigtownshire, Scotland
Died:

1699 John Mason
Born: 1699, Virginia
Married: (about 1724?) to Mary Lnu, Bedford, Virginia
Died: August 16, 1761?, Augusta County, Virginia
Children:

1703? Mary (Lnu?) Mason
Born: 1703
Died: (before 1761) Virginia, Colonial America

1723?? John Mason
Born: 1723?, Augusta County, Virginia (Son of John and Mary (Lnu?) Mason)
Married: 1740? to Leah McKeachy, Virginia
Died: August 18, 1761, Augusta County, Virginia
Children: John, Jane Jennet, William, James, Joseph, Mary, Margaret

1725 Leah (McKeachy) Mason
Born: 1725, Wigtown, Wigtownshire, Scotland (Daughter of James McKeachy)
Died: Botetourt County, Virginia, Colonial America

1750? William Mason
Born: 1750?, Botetourt County, Virginia, Colonial America (Son of John and Leah (McKeachy Mason)
Married: to Sarah McKeachey
Died: February 25, 1803, Butler, Kentucky, United States of America
Children: Jane, James, Richard, Mary “Polly”, Frances, John, Nancy, Lettice, Rachel, Thompson, Margaret (1797?), Elizabeth, Hugh, William (1795?), Martin (1800?)

1750? Sarah (McKeachey) Mason
Born: 1750
Died:

1800? Martin Mason
Born: 1800?, Lincoln County, Kentucky (Son of William Mason and Sarah (McKeachey) Mason)
Married: August 2, 1821 to Eleanor Yocum, Lincoln County, Kentucky
Died: (after 1880), Lincoln County, Kentucky
Children: Liberty (1825?), Jonathan “John” (1830?), Julia Ann (1832?), Henry Martin (1834?), Martin Huff (1835?), Malinda J. (1841?), Lucinda “Lucy” Ellen (1842?), David A. (1845?), Joseph H. (1848?)

1805? Ellender (or Eleanor/Ellender) (Yocum) Mason
Born: 1805?, Kentucky (Daughter of Henry Yoakum and Sarah Malinda (King) Yoakum)
Died: Lincoln County, Kentucky

...As you can see, I think I have something wrong. I have a Leah McKeachey of Wigtown marrying John Mason I... and also a Leah McKeachy (no extra "e") of Wigtown marrying John Mason III. I have just been finding a LOT of conflicting information... so If anyone could please help me clarify things and maybe help find out more that I don't know, it would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you!

Correction McK...wives

ijf90 (View posts)
Posted: 15 May 2010 5:30AM GMT
Edited: 15 May 2010 5:20PM GMT
Surnames: Mason, McKeachey, McKeachy, Yocum, Lnu
UGHH... I just figured some of this out... Disregard the extra Leah McKeachey problem. Can anyone confirm, correct, and/or make additions to the information on these people...

1699 John Mason
Born: 1699, Virginia
Married: (about 1724?) to Mary Lnu, Bedford, Virginia
Died: August 16, 1761?, Augusta County, Virginia
Children: John

1703? Mary (Lnu?) Mason
Born: 1703
Died: (before 1761) Virginia, Colonial America

1723?? John Mason
Born: 1723?, Augusta County, Virginia (Son of John and Mary (Lnu?) Mason)
Married: 1740? to Leah McKeachy, Virginia
Died: August 18, 1761, Augusta County, Virginia
Children: John, Jane Jennet, William, James, Joseph, Mary, Margaret

1725 Leah (McKeachy) Mason
Born: 1725, Wigtown, Wigtownshire, Scotland (Daughter of James McKeachy)
Died: Botetourt County, Virginia, Colonial America

1750? William Mason
Born: 1750?, Botetourt County, Virginia, Colonial America (Son of John and Leah (McKeachy Mason)
Children: Jane, James, Richard, Mary “Polly”, Frances, John, Nancy, Lettice, Rachel, Thompson, Margaret (1797?), Elizabeth, Hugh, William (1795?), Martin (1800?)

1750? Sarah (McKeachey) Mason
Born: 1750
Died:

1800? Martin Mason
Born: 1800?, Lincoln County, Kentucky (Son of William Mason and Sarah (McKeachey) Mason)
Married: August 2, 1821 to Eleanor Yocum, Lincoln County, Kentucky
Died: (after 1880), Lincoln County, Kentucky
Children: Liberty (1825?), Jonathan “John” (1830?), Julia Ann (1832?), Henry Martin (1834?), Martin Huff (1835?), Malinda J. (1841?), Lucinda “Lucy” Ellen (1842?), David A. (1845?), Joseph H. (1848?)

1805? Ellender (or Eleanor/Ellender) (Yocum) Mason
Born: 1805?, Kentucky (Daughter of Henry Yoakum and Sarah Malinda (King) Yoakum)
Died: Lincoln County, Kentucky

Re: Correction William Mason (b.1750?-1803 KY) vs William Mason (d. 1797 KY)

KarenDale900 (View posts)
Posted: 15 May 2010 6:10AM GMT
Edited: 15 May 2010 1:34PM GMT
Surnames: Mason, Meason
1750? William Mason
-----------
I am about 99% certain that this information is incorrect. Despite extensive claims in web files that William Mason who died in Lincoln Co. KY 1803 was the son of John of Augusta/Botetourt, that information is simply incorrect. The descendants of a William Mason who died in Madison Co. KY ca. 1797 also say he was the son of John of Botetourt--and they have a much better claim. The William of Madison Co. KY had a brother James (named in his will) who lived in VA; he married Isabella Scott in Botetourt Co. and he was the right age to be John's son. The William in Lincoln Co. KY was about ten years too old to be John's son, and we have no idea where he married. What's more, John of Augusta often spelled his name Meason--as did William in Madison KY, and the DNA of a William of Madison descendant matches a Meason family in PA. I've never found a single record where the William in Lincoln spelled it Meason--which is a Scottish name.

I found no evidence of William of Lincoln in Botetourt at all, though I did find him in tax and military records in Greenbrier VA before he moved on to Lincoln Co. KY, and his daughter Jane married in Greenbrier. Moreover, there is no evidence at all that his wife Sarah was a McKeachy. An early researcher who claimed to have seen a marriage record (but didn't bother to tell us where it is) said her name was Sarah Mc.... People assumed McKeachy because they assumed he was related to John whose mother was Leah McKeachy, but no marriage record has surfaced to support that claim.

A descendant of William of Lincoln KY (through son John) has a number of DNA matches, but no connections have been established. Somehow, however, he is related to a John Mason born 1722 in Stafford Co. VA and a James Mason who was described as living in Stafford in 1769 (before moving to Culpeper). This suggests that William has ties in the Northern Neck of VA, but as I said, no proven connections found thus far. He may also be related to Gilbert Mason and Martin who lived in Bedford Co. VA during the Revolution (Martin moving to Botetourt ca. 1782). But these men are not related to the John Mason/Meason of Augusta/Botetourt.

Email me if you'd like more information on my research into the Masons who match William of Lincoln. KDale2640@msn.com

Martin Mason (b.~1800 VA), his father born PA per 1880 Census

ijf90 (View posts)
Posted: 15 May 2010 4:53PM GMT
Edited: 15 May 2010 5:17PM GMT
Surnames: Mason
Thank you very much for your thorough and prompt reply.

I've found that in an 1880 census Martin Mason (born around 1800)said he was born in Virginia and his father's birthplace was in Pennsylvania. This made me suspect that William who is presumed to be his father (and I know from a relative of mine that Martin is in fact a "descendant" of a William Mason from Virginia) was not related to the Johns of Botetourt, VA especially as the informatio I'd obtain from other researchers seemed 'shakey'.

I will send you an email with "Mason Genealogy" in the subject line. Thank you very much for your time and help!

John and/or William Mason (of PA killed abt 1780 KY)(m.) Mary Irvine who (m2 1781) Moses Cherry

robertmason_1 (View posts)
Posted: 17 May 2010 8:57PM GMT
Edited: 17 May 2010 10:02PM GMT
Surnames: Mason, Meason, Irvine, Cherry
I am also chasing a William/John Mason in Kentucky. The Madison County William almost fits the bill, but his children, though they have the same names, are a little two young. He died a little before the Madison County William also, reportedly being killed by Indians near present Louisville around 1780.
Two histories have him migrating from Pennsylvania, then leaving a widow, Mary [Irvine] Mason to remarry Moses Cherry in 1781. His children went to Woodford/Scott County and then Boone County. He is timed just right to be the John Meason from Augusta County, VA born 1749 (though no connections are established), and one of those histories implies a link to the Measons of Augusta County. At least three of his children were born in Pennsylvania, and supposedly some of the Augusta County Measons moved to PA before going to Kentucky. He could also be a completely different line unrelated to either of your Williams.
The ambiguity of his first name is because the Boone County death record of his son John reports the deceased's father's name as William. The histories mentioned say his name was John. I suspect either the death record is wrong, or his name was William John Mason or John William Mason.
Any feedback on this subject is very welcome.
Thanks,
Robert Mason

Strongly urge Y-DNA testing of yourself

Posted: 17 May 2010 9:35PM GMT
Edited: 17 May 2010 10:04PM GMT
Do DNA. You're the perfect candidate--a male named Mason. I think the only way we're going to sort out all these VA and KY Masons is DNA--at least that allows us to group them, to know who's related to whom. The William Mason who left the will naming wife Isabella (Scott) in Madison is apparently represented by a DNA participant--and matches a Meason from PA--though there may be a problem with that lineage--a note says to check it--don't know why. It is my suspicion that the John in Augusta/Botetourt came to VA very early from PA-indeed, his father may have come from PA. They were there as early as the 1740s, anyhow. If your William had three children born in PA, he's obviously a latecomer to the area--but did they say consistently on later census records they were born in PA? Another problem is that before the Rev. that juncture of PA/VA that became WV was in dispute--both states laid claim to it. So who knew where they were born in that part of the world?

The John Jr. born 1749 is also in dispute. Some claim he went off to KY and a family there claims descent from him. But there's also ample evidence he died in Botetourt the same year his father did--without issue.

Everytime I think about all the William and John Masons we can't sort out, I get a riproaring headache. :) Do DNA--please!

John Mason Sr., John Mason Jr."heir at law," and James McKeachey

robertmason_1 (View posts)
Posted: 18 May 2010 4:57PM GMT
Edited: 18 May 2010 6:07PM GMT
Surnames: Mason, McKeachey
I don't know where John b.1749 went, but I suggest that he didn't die in 1761. "James McKeachey vs. John Mason, eldest son and heir-at-law of John Mason--abates by death of defendant." I propose that the claim was against John Sr., and the case abated because of his death. If the suit were against John Junior, there would be no reason to identify him as "heir-at-law" of John Senior. Any claim against John Senior could have continued against his estate when he died. John Junior could have been listed as the beneficiary as a means of identifying the estate, but at twelve years old, did not have the legal status to be sued or to be the executor. Abates does not necessarily mean the claim was dismissed. It would not have to be dismissed by the death of the defendant unless the basis of the claim was a solely verbal agreement of the deceased.

Re: Confusion... Colonial Virginia Masons (John 1670> John> John> William> Martin)

eamzmbator1 (View posts)
Posted: 4 Feb 2011 3:09AM GMT
According Chalkley Chronicles for Augusta County, VA, John Mason signed his will on Oct. 12,1760. It was probated on August 18, 1761. Lists sons as John [eldest], James, William, Joseph. Daughters listed as Jannet, Mary and Margaret. Mother is shown as Leah. Brother-in-law James Keachey. If still interested, please contact me at eamzmbator@comcast.net. Believe we have a mutual interest. I am especially interested in son James.

James Mason, (will 2 March 1803 proven May 1808) Botetourt Co., VA. Will Book B

Posted: 4 Feb 2011 3:31PM GMT
Classification: Will
Edited: 5 Feb 2011 1:53AM GMT
Surnames: Mason, McKeachy, Crawford, Pate, Jennys, Edgar, Snodgrass, McClanahan
James also left a will. It appears he had no children:

Botetourt Co., VA. Will Book B (1801-1815) page 183
"Will of James Mason, Gent., 2 March 1803 proven May court 1808. All debts and demands due me by James McKeachey, either as executions of my father or otherwise, be fully discharged in case his son Andrew should survive me. To my nephew, William Crawford, 126 acres, also 3 tracts of land adjoining-185 plus 10 plus 119 acres (total 444). To my nephew, Samuel Crawford Jr., 206 acres. To my nephew, Mason Crawford,land. Land to be sold and proceeds divided between Jane Pate, Eleanor Jenneys, Margaret Crawford and Sarah Crawford, daughters of Samuel Crawford and Jenet Crawford, his wife., (my sister). of the State of Kentucky. To Mary Pate, wife of Edward Pate, another daughter of said Samuel and Jenet Crawford.-To my sister, Janet, my best friend, land in Montgomery Co.,VA-Kentucky - Botetourt - land in dispute with Nathan Scott., etc. Land to the children of my deceased brother, William Mason, late of State of Kentucky. The children of my deceased sister, Mary Edgar, late the wife of James Edgar of Bedford County - The children of my sister Margaret Snodgrass, wife of Joseph Snodgrass of Tennessee State. To my brother, Joseph Mason of Kentucky State - about 1400 acres, chiefly in Franklin county.
Executors: My trusty friends, Joseph Mason - Samuel Crawford
and John Pate of the County of Breckenridge, State of Kentucky and Major Elijah McClanahan of Botetourt, Virginia.

Re: Confusion... Colonial Virginia Masons (John 1670> John> John> William> Martin)

eamzmbator1 (View posts)
Posted: 4 Feb 2011 5:18PM GMT
Thank you. By identifying James, son of John Mason [deceased 1761] you have clarified one misunderstanding for me. He is not the James Mason I seek.

But, would you happen to know whether your James Mason was also the man listed in records of the French & Indian War? Records show "The weekly return of Col. Adam Stephens' Company ... 29 August ... 1756" at Fort Cumberland "Jas. Mason of Capt. Guest's Company ... present in camp." [source: Colonial Soldiers of the South, by Myrtle June Clark, p.412.

Also, "payment of two pounds to James Mason & Patrick Flairty as guide to the Detachment under Capt. Mercer from Fort Cumberland." [source The Papers of George Washington, Colonial Series #3, April-Nov. 1756, W.W. Abbott, Editor, p.371].

If this man is indeed the son of John Mason [deceased 1761], then I can eliminate him from my search to identify the James Mason [Mayson] who is my wife's ancestor. Would appreciate your thoughts.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions