My husband is a descendant of Joel's brother Benjamin. The following excerpts are from the references as noted.
SOURCE: Panning for Nuggets of Old, Spring 1980, Vol. 5, No. 5 - Caleb Dyer-Rebecca Howard Family, Arkansas
Joel Dyer (1807-1863), the fifth child and third son of Caleb and Rebecca, married Sarah Ann Talkington about 1839. She lived on Little Mulberry Creek where her parents had settled after moving from Kentucky. Joel and Sarah first lived in Washington County, to the north of Crawford Co. In 1850, they moved south to the place which became known as Dyer Station and later the town of Dyer. Joel was a farmer, stock raiser and blacksmith. Both he and Sarah were Presbyterians. Sarah bore thirteen children, and survived Joel by eighteen years.
SOURCE: History of Crawford County, Compiled by Eula Hopkins and Commissioner Wanda M. Gray, Arkansas History Commission, Published by The Historial Preservation Association of Crawford County, Arkansas, July 2001 - page 324
"After the death of his father, Joel Dyer came with his mother, Rebecca Howard Dyer, brothers and sisters, first to Monroe County, Tennessee and then on to Mountainburg, Crawford County, Arkansas in 1832. After the death of his mother, Joel first relocated to Washington County and appeared on the 1837 tax list. By 1850, he had moved once more to a farm in what is now known as the community of Dyer in southeast Crawford County in Section 36, Township 10 North, Range 30 West. Here he farmed raising crops and working as a blacksmith. Death prevented his mother, Rebecca Dyer, and two brothers, Benjamin and Caleb, from moving southward to Crawford County and their graves have not been found in Washington County, Arkansas.
Joel Dyer soon built a large log home in Crawford County, Arkansas, on what was known at that time as the East-West Military Road, which was a road constructed by the military linking Fort Smith and Little Rock. With the coming of the telegraph, this road also became known as the Wire Road, and today it is known as Highway 64. When the stagecoach arrived in 1858, it stopped at the Joel Dyer's home. With the coming of the railroad, a flag stop was designated at a place called Dyer's Station. When the children of Joel Dyer grew to manhood, they worked hard in this settlement and when the Post Office was established it was called Dyer, in honor of Joel's son, Walter Allen Dyer, who was also its first postmaster in 1885. When a railroad depot was built, two other sons, Stephen and George, were designated as agents."