Search for content in message boards

Kroncke or Cronk immigrant to America ca 1790-1825

Kroncke or Cronk immigrant to America ca 1790-1825

rddavis1_1 (View posts)
Posted: 11 Mar 2011 4:42PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Kroncke, Cronk
I am looking for a Kroncke or Cronk, who immigrated to America most likely the New York area since his son was supposed to have been born there.

His son John Cronk was born in New York in 1827 so he had to have come before then and couldn't have (to my way of thinking) been born before the earliest year of 1775, as he would have been too old to have fathered my John Cronk.

Since my Cronk is named John, I figure his father most likely had Johann as part of his name.

Does anyone have any ideas?

I found a John Cronk Sr. and JR. and Abigail Cronk who immigrated to Canada in the right timeframe. One of those John's was 40 yrs old in 1801 when they immigrated.

Thanks in advance.
Rob Davis

Re: Kroncke or Cronk immigrant to America ca 1790-1825

Cindylaine (View posts)
Posted: 12 Apr 2011 1:45AM GMT
I can't believe I finally found someone who has a John Cronk in their family born Oct. 28, 1827 in New York. I have not found his father either. Was your John married to Emeline Bailey? My John had a son named Smith A. who married Maggie L. Robertson. Their son, John Lindsey Cronk is my great grandfather.

Cindy Cronk Viator

rddavis1_1 (View posts)
Posted: 12 Apr 2011 2:43AM GMT
Edited: 12 Apr 2011 2:45AM GMT
Sounds like the same Cronk's it's actually for one of my mom's church friends. I've been trying to help her. I actually believe that I found the father of yours and her John Cronk. I found no Cronk's or at least any version of the name I could believe. There's a lot of people that say he came from Kronkite's and others. However from my studying, I do not believe that.

John Cronk told the census worker in 1880 that his father was born in Germany, while I believe he or the census worker could have been mistaken as to where exactly John was born, I do not believe that they could have somehow got the birthplace of his father wrong since it was in a completely different country.

Taking that info and adding the years that his father had to have been born to have fathered John (reasonably that is) his father would have had to come to america before 1827. He could have been anywhere from 18-45 or 50 to have fathered him. That means a birthday somewhere between 1780+/- to 1808+/-.

When people immigrated that late, while in some instances I could see their names radically changing mainly they just took on the spelling of their name that the ships personel or immigration people wrote on whatever official document.

Therefore Kroncke was the only germanic name that I could buy as being the possible original spelling of the name.

I could not find ANY Cronk or Kroncke's immigrating to the US in the timeframe I noted above. I did find however, a family of Cronk's John Sr. Abigail and John Jr. Cronk who immigrated to Ontario Canada in 1801.

John Cronk born in NY, at least some of his family was also in Michigan. Michigan is just across the lake from Ontario.
I don't know exactly how yet, but i would be willing to bet that the Cronk family who immigrated to Ontario is where your Cronk family came from.

While there are a lot of Cronk families in NY to choose from that might be possibilities, you can't escape the fact that John said his father was born in Germany. All the possible Cronk families in NY had already been established there for at least 2-3+ generations. Therefore it couldn't have been them.

Hope this helps,
Rob

P.S. She was supposed to go to the library with the info I gave her and get back to me. I will let you know when she does.

You can email me at rddavis1@hughes.net

Cindylaine (View posts)
Posted: 12 Apr 2011 3:49AM GMT
Thanks for the information. I, too, found the Germany connection from the census but couldn't find anything else. My John did live and get married in Michigan and died in Kansas. It would be nice if there was more info on the German side of the Cronk's. Living in Louisiana all I have is the internet and at this point, it isn't giving me much help on my Cronk's. I would appreciate any information you can get as I have been stuck here for a few years.
Thanks,
Cindy

rddavis1_1 (View posts)
Posted: 12 Apr 2011 3:59AM GMT

rddavis1_1 (View posts)
Posted: 12 Apr 2011 4:02AM GMT
Edited: 12 Apr 2011 4:03AM GMT
BTW, it's the same Cronk and the lady I spoke of is supposed to be setting up a family reunion later this year or the next, can't remember exactly what she said. I can find out if you are interested

rddavis1_1 (View posts)
Posted: 12 Apr 2011 4:05AM GMT
tree link, you can check out what I have on the family.

http://trees.ancestry.com/tree/25670302/family

rddavis1_1 (View posts)
Posted: 12 Apr 2011 4:14AM GMT
I also did not find any border crossings between 1801 and 1827. However, I didn't find any records of any border crossings before something like 1896+/- so I do not think that is an issue. Someone could have easily came across the lake without too much notice.

Cindylaine (View posts)
Posted: 12 Apr 2011 4:16AM GMT
Thanks for the info. I can't wait to see it. I will look at it when I go to the library tomorrow since I don't subscribe to ancestry anymore. Where does the lady live? My email address is rcbhj@msn.com if you would prefer to communicate that way.
Cindy
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions