Search for content in message boards

History of Locust Creek?

History of Locust Creek?

JDJames89 (View posts)
Posted: 11 Jun 2011 6:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
I have a rather long and strong family history in Locust Creek from about the early 1700s to the early 1900s. The problem is, I can find almost nothing about Locust Creek. I assume it must be a small community and am unsure if it is still in existance. Does anyone happen to know some of the history of Locust Creek and the people who lived in the area?

Re: History of Locust Creek?

dreadfulpcbug (View posts)
Posted: 5 Jan 2012 9:40AM GMT
Locust Creek does still exist. It's in the town of Bumpass, Virginia. This area of Louisa County is also known as the Jackson District. I don't really know much history about it, but maybe you can ask people at the Locust Creek fire department on Bethany Church Rd, as i'm sure that's been there a while.

JDJames89 (View posts)
Posted: 19 Feb 2012 5:27AM GMT
Thanks for the information! It makes sense now why I couldn't even find it on a map. It still makes me wonder why on Earth after nearly four hundred years there that a generation of the family up and moved to Idaho, of all places.

onefrazzledmom1 (View posts)
Posted: 17 Aug 2012 5:41AM GMT
I don't know any history about the area of Locust Creek specifically, but I can tell you approximately where to look on the map. Bethany Church Road is a state route that dead ends into Route 33. If you follow 33 up from Richmond, Bethany Church Road comes in a little before you reach the area known as Cuckoo (intersection of Route 33 and Route 522). Even today, this area of the county is mostly rural. There were a couple of mills nearby during the 1800s. Is there a particular family name you're looking into? My family was in the Jackson & Fredericks Hall districts of Louisa also, maybe we're researching the same ancestors.

JDJames89 (View posts)
Posted: 17 Aug 2012 6:06AM GMT
Yeah. From what I gather it's a lot of backwoods stuff, which is very interesting. Anyhow, here are some surnames of mine from the area: Sims, Thacker, Tate, Ward, Hall, Kersey and Strong.

onefrazzledmom1 (View posts)
Posted: 17 Aug 2012 4:17PM GMT
Nope, I'm not working on any of those although some of them were neighbors of my kin. The Tates & Sims. I know there was a "Hall's Store" somewhere in the Locust Creek area in the early 1900s, it might have burned down in the '30s (per my 93 yr old grandmother) - might be a lead. Have you tried the Central Virginian? Local 'gossip' paper for the area, still in print and they keep an archive. I'm working on: Armstrong, Parsons, Chick, Clough, Parsons, Lacy, Barret, Pettus, Overton.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions