Search for content in message boards

Patrick Joseph Tierney/ Margaret O'Brien abt.1867

Patrick Joseph Tierney/ Margaret O'Brien abt.1867

wr32251 (View posts)
Posted: 13 Nov 2010 10:04PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Tierney, O'Brien
My grandmother was Loretta Elizabeth Tierney b.1906 Charleston,Mass. d.1988 Boston,Mass. Her parents were Patrick Joseph and Margaret(O'Brien). My Father was told very little about the family. From clues left behind, I think she may have had 6 siblings. John, Margarite, Francis, Winnefred, Josephine and Mary. I have a photo with Loretta, Margarite(Rita)O'Halloran and her Daughter,Helen. Also lots of photo's with nothing written on the back. I have found the census 1900-1930 and a few other things but I'm not possitive I'm on the right track. If anyone has info about this lost side of the family, I would love to hear from you! Thankyou, Donna

Re: Patrick Joseph Tierney/ Margaret O'Brien abt.1867

midge1249 (View posts)
Posted: 14 Nov 2010 12:52AM GMT
I see that both Patrick (listed as Patrick John in the census, not Patrick
Joseph) and Margaret say that they were born in Newfoundland (Nfld) with
Patrick's parents both being born there and Margaret's parents born in
Ireland. Unfortunately, Newfoundland did not join Canada until 1949, so you
will have to do a little digging. I would suggest you inquire through the
Newfoundland-Labrador Genweb. If they were Catholic, then you should be
able to find their birth records with parents listed as the Catholic church
kept immaculate records. Other than that, try www.raogk.com (random acts of
genealogical kindness) and find someone in Newfoundland who might be able to
steer you in the right direction.

Good Luck

wr32251 (View posts)
Posted: 14 Nov 2010 7:08PM GMT
Thankyou for your reply! When my Grandmother died we found a ss application that listed her parents names and nothing else. There's another Patrick and Margaret Tierney in the 1900 Boston census,ward 5 who could be the right line but I can't find them again with a Loretta and also because of the pic. with Rita and Helen.(although the pic. did not say Halloran)When I'm sure I have the right line, your advise will be very helpful. I do remember my Grandparents taking me to a Catholic Church when I spent summers with them and he was in the Knights of Columbus so that's also a good thought. I will also att. the photo in case anyone recognizes it. Thankyou for your help! Donna
Attachments:

midge1249 (View posts)
Posted: 14 Nov 2010 8:06PM GMT
There is no doubt that the family of Patrick Tierney (born Feb 1866) and Margaret C.(born Apr 1868) in Newfoundland are yours. If you follow them through all the censuses, they consistently give their marriage as 1893 and consistently give the approx same year for their immigration (Patrick in 1882 and naturalized in 1887, Margaret in 1891-1893). Also, in the 1900 (married 7 years) are their first 3 children (they've had just 3 and all are living): Marguerite (Rita M.)in 1894, John L. in 1897, and son Francis in 1899. By the 1910, they have had 6 more children, but 2 of those 6 have died between 1900 and 1910. Margeurite, John, and Francis have 4 new sisters Winifred (abt 1901), Loretta (abt 1903), Mary F.(abt 1906) and Josephine(abt 1908). In this census, they say they have now been married 17 years and have had 9 children with just 7 surviving.

By the 1920 census,(as Kearney), Marguerite (Rita M.) is gone and has married. Left at home are the remaining 6 children, including Loretta. However the census-taker mixed up the ages of Josephine, Loretta and Mary.

By the 1930 census, only son John L. and daughter Mary F. are at home along with their married sibling Margeurite (Rita M.) and her 2 children. Loretta must have married sometime before 1930 or is out working and living elsewhere. In this census, Patrick and Margaret say they have been married 37 years - again pointing to a 1893 marriage. As Patrick and Margaret emigrated in different years (about 10 years apart), I strongly suspect they were married in Massachusetts, so you should find their 1893 marriage in a Mass. R.C. church. Also, Patrick (if he remembered it correctly) says he was naturalized in 1897, so there should be a record of that as well.

Hope this helps.

wr32251 (View posts)
Posted: 14 Nov 2010 8:30PM GMT
Yes it helps! I'll go on searching this line- it's nice to have my suspitions proven. By 1930 Loretta is married to Edward Mervin Rich with my 2 Aunts Lolly and Jean. My Dad was born 3 years later.Thankyou so much for your time and your thoughts! Donna

midge1249 (View posts)
Posted: 14 Nov 2010 8:46PM GMT
I just realized that in the 1920 Boston census (as Kearney). in the same household as Patrick & Margaret (and Loretta) is Walter P. O'Halloran, 25, son-in-law (of the Tierneys) and wife Rita, daughter of the Tierneys, and their children Helen and Margaret.

Walter P. O'Halloran was born in Massachusetts about 1895, but his parents were born in Canada too.

wr32251 (View posts)
Posted: 14 Nov 2010 9:17PM GMT
Yes, that was the only clue I found to possibly match the Rita and Helen in the picture. Hopefully they weren't just neighbors or something since the name Halloran is not on the pic. (But Rita sure looks a lot like my Nana, Loretta.) I don't know where Walter was in 1930 as Rita is still listed as M not W or D but he is not with them.

midge1249 (View posts)
Posted: 14 Nov 2010 10:17PM GMT
Looking through the old Boston newspapers, there is a small article in the newspaper re Walter P (Peter) O'Halloran in the March 23, 1916 issue of the Boston Daily Globe (page 24) which states:

"Walter P. O'Halloran orf 4 Bunker Hill St. was found guilty of nonsupport of his wife, in the District Court today. He was placed on probation."

So, this is about 2 years after his marriage and near the birth of daughter Helen. This might explain that he was a bit of a bounder and just 'took off' after the 1920 census. I see that he died in Chicago in 1968.

midge1249 (View posts)
Posted: 14 Nov 2010 10:20PM GMT
Also, scanning through the various 'Winnifreds/Winifreds" in the 1930 census, I did find one who was aged 28 in 1930 (so born abt 1902) and she was born in Massachusetts and both of her parents were born in Canada. She is listed as married, but there is no husband in the household (and he was born in Massachusetts also). This Winifred had 4 children, born 1925 - 1929. They are Clifton, Marjorie, Robert and Donald.

She might be worth investigating as she seems to fit the profile.

wr32251 (View posts)
Posted: 14 Nov 2010 10:46PM GMT
Wow, you are quick! I've been fumbling around with that for a while! I have a whole lot to learn. Those are great finds, Thankyou so much! I'm so excited to follow your leads. Mom said she never got to meet anyone but Rita and Helen that she remembers but she does remember people were upset that she was Baptist. My sister and I never met anyone from that side so this is so interesting. I notice one of the kid's named Donald- my Father is Donald Joseph. I'm sure I'll be up late tonight, ha-ha. Thankyou again, Donna wr3225@roadrunner.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions