Search for content in message boards

Merge Facts

Merge Facts

dennis11540 (View posts)
Posted: 28 Sep 2010 2:22AM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi. I've been updating my tree for a couple of years. Still using FTM2006, I'll generate a privatized GEDCOM file, which is uploaded to rootsweb. This works well, except the duplicate facts still bother me.

Example: Go to my tree http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?db=dallen24_.... Search [Allen, George W]. You will see two records: Allen, George W b:7 FEB 1860 in Newton, Wisconsin. Select it.

Right away you see duplicate names. Seems to me a clean file should show:

Name: George W Allen, source 1,2,3,4
Name: George W Alen, source 5
Name: George Allen, source 6,7,8,9

Duplicate names is probably why my 12,000 person database has 36,936 name entries. Other records should also be combined. Example:

Birth: 1860, source 1,3
Birth: 1860 in Wisconsin, source 2,4
Birth: 1860 in Wisconsin, Wisconsin, source 5,6,7,9

Question. Is there a GEDCOM utility or a merge feature in a software package I can use to merge duplicate facts? Any reply would be appreciated...Dennis

Re: Merge Facts

AGHatchett3rd (View posts)
Posted: 28 Sep 2010 3:21AM GMT
DO the duplicate facts show up in the GEDCOM before you upload it to Rootsweb?

If so then perhaps it is the way you are entering data that is creating them.

Do you actually have duplicate facts in your FTM file?

dennis11540 (View posts)
Posted: 28 Sep 2010 4:36AM GMT
Yes, duplicate facts are in the FTM file itself. The problem is how FTM2006 offers to merge a fact. Many times the default for a merge fact is [Alternate], when it should be [Add Source Only].

I understand why FTM has this problem. FTM simply compares the fact you're trying to merge with the current preferred fact. If the fact exactly matches, the default is [Add Source Only], otherwise it is [Alternate]. The problem is that FTM isn't smart enough to check ALL the facts stored for the given person, just the preferred one.

Example: I just tried to merge a 1920 census record for a person, preferred birth Mar 12, 1884 Eaton, Michigan. The merge wizard had a birth 1884 Michigan selected as [Alternate]. I cancelled the merge and checked the person's fact list. He already had three birth 1884 Michigan records. Had I completed the merge the person would now have four birth 1884 Michigan records.

So, can I change how I'm entering data? I don't see how, short of printing the person's fact sheet before every merge. And what about the 12,000 people already in my file? Let's say it took twenty minutes to remove and re-merge one person's facts correctly. That's 4000 man hours.

What I need is a utility that could clean up a GEDCOM file. Something I could use on each GEDCOM file I generate, before I upload it to rootsweb.

Posted: 28 Sep 2010 5:29AM GMT
I know of no such utility but...

Is all your data in one file or do you do diggetent trees in different files?

If all in one file, the easiest way may be to do a massive GEDCOM edit once and then generate a new file FTM file from the edited GEDCOM.

It would involve some work but would beat having to go into each person in FTM and deleting the duplicate facts there.

If you want to write me I can explain as it gets very detailed. My e-mail is agh3rd@aol.com

After that I think a change in how you add sources and citations can prevent duplicates in the future.

Russ Worthington (View posts)
Posted: 28 Sep 2010 12:45PM GMT
Dennis,

Are the three "George W Allen" the same individual? If you look in Version 2006, do you see the same NAME fact for him, with One are Preferred and the other two not preferred?

Russ

dennis11540 (View posts)
Posted: 28 Sep 2010 2:06PM GMT
Yes, we are looking at the same "George W Allen". What we want is not three "George W Allen" name facts, but one "George W Allen" name fact with three sources.

dennis11540 (View posts)
Posted: 28 Sep 2010 2:12PM GMT
Well, what we want is not to delete duplicate facts but to combine sources. We don't want three "George W Allen" name facts each with a source, but one "George W Allen" name fact with three sources.

Considering the sheer volume, 12,000 people in one FTM file, seems to me it'd be impossible to manually delete facts then rerun the merge wizard one person at a time.

Russ Worthington (View posts)
Posted: 28 Sep 2010 2:41PM GMT
Dennis,

I see nothing wrong with what is showing up in your online record for George. It's much link that in Family Tree Maker.

From the Index (names list) there is only ONE George W Allen. Clicking on that link brings you to his record, with the appropriate Spelling and Citation as to where you found that information.

I am only stating my opinion on this, but If I were to look at any of your Sources for the different spellings, I would find what you found. I document my file this same way.

Russ

Posted: 28 Sep 2010 4:15PM GMT
Dennis,

Have you uploaded this tree to an online Ancestry Member Tree? Does the online tree have the duplicate facts in the timeline?

The reason I ask is that if you have you might try a straight download into a straight 5.5 GEDCOM from the online Tree.

There are differences in how the download into FTM and the download of a straight GEDCOM work.

You could see if the straight GEDCOM has the duplicate facts or not. If not you could feed that GEZDCOM to Rootsweb.

dennis11540 (View posts)
Posted: 29 Sep 2010 4:11AM GMT
I never said there was anything wrong with the actual data of my generated GEDCOM file. I'm just looking for a way to combine sources to a common fact on a given person. This would reduce the number of name entries listed on my rootsweb tree and offer a cleaner display on each person.

No, I haven't tried uploading to an online Ancestry Member Tree. I like rootsweb and have updated my rootsweb tree regularly. With rootsweb, I don't worry that an old copy of my tree will be out on the Internet forever.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions