Search for content in message boards

1900 census lookup?

1900 census lookup?

Tricia Russell (View posts)
Posted: 4 Nov 2003 7:38PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Harbin
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone might have access, besides HeritageQuest, to the 1900 census for Pickens County?

HeritageQuest says that my family, James Harbin age 35, is located in Townsend, Pickens Co., Georgia, which IS where he was in 1910 as well.... but I can't find him! I've looks thru all the census pages for Townsend, but can't seem to pick him out.

So, if anyone can find him for me in 1900, that would be really great.... he should be age 35, and GA GA GA, for him and his parents...

Sincerely,
Tricia
Dawsonville

Re: 1900 census lookup?

Lisa (View posts)
Posted: 28 Nov 2003 12:50AM GMT
Surnames: HARBIN
Hi Tricia,

I *think* I've found your James Harbin in 1900 Pickens Co. The page is smeared, and on top of that it looks like there is some writing over the names, but this looks like your man and his family. This family matches up pretty much with the James Harbin family listed in 1910 (with the exception of more children, of course!)

1900 Pickens Co., Georgia census, Townsend District, page 199B, Household #120, Family #120

HARBIN, James, Head, W, M, Dec 1865, 34, married 7 years, GA, GA, GA, Marble Foreman
Ellen, wife, W, F, Nov 1877, 22, married 7 years, mother of 4, 3 living, GA, GA, GA
Paul, son, W, M, Oct 1890, 9, GA, GA, GA, At School
Claud, son, W, M, Mar 1894, 6, GA, GA, GA
Wallace, son, W, M, Oct 1896, 3, GA, GA, GA
Earl, son, W, M, Jan 1899, 1, GA, GA, GA

Regards,
Lisa Kennard
Sugar Hill, GA

Tricia Russell (View posts)
Posted: 28 Nov 2003 7:48PM GMT
Surnames: Harbin, Harben, West, Chastain
Lisa,

Thank you very much. This census gave me some information, and confused me. In the Harbin book here at my local library in Dawson Co., it says that Nathaniel 'James' was married to a Martha V. West, but I have a death certificate that says the kids' mother's name was Ella Chastain. Now the census showed that Ella had 4 kids, with 3 living, and Paul is 9 yrs old, where James and Ella have only been married 7 years...

I just got the list of Harbin/Harben's in the Pickens Co., cemeteries this morning from James Cantrell, and am trying to find that infant that died, as well as Martha, but not getting any hits, so maybe they weren't in Pickens Co., at the time... I'm confused.

I guess I need to give that up for now, and find the 2 marriages for my Nathaniel 'James'...

I wish we had 1890, that would have helped! :)

Sincerely,
Tricia Russell & Ginger Harbin-Lyon

lisaok (View posts)
Posted: 28 Nov 2003 8:30PM GMT
Tricia,

Perhaps Martha was the mother of Paul, the oldest child? She died and he married Ella/Ellen Chastain, the mother of the other children?

I have a book of Dawson Co. cemeteries and looked in it for a Martha Harbin. Unfortunately, there wasn't one. :-(

I wish we had the 1890 census also!

Regards,
Lisa

jackonix1928 (View posts)
Posted: 28 Apr 2012 1:00PM GMT
Surnames: Harbin, Harben, West, Chastain
Tricia, my name is Jack O Nix, son of Grady C. Nix and Lucy Bell Harbin Nix and I have a book titled "Harbin and related families 1526-1991 " by Jerome G Hardin, deceased that is out of print that lists Nathaniel James Harbin. It lists Nathaniel as the son of Tyre Harbin and his wife Nancy Minerva Manning and he was born in Dawson Co. Ga in Dec. 1865. He married his first wife Martha V. West on Sep. 3 1889 in Cherokee Co.,Ga. His second wife was Ella Chestiene. His children, all by his first wife are Paul - b Oct. 10, 1890, Claud - b. Nov 1894, Wallace - b. Oct. 1896, Earl - b. Jan. 1899, Tarpley B. - b. Apr. 16 1909 d. Feb 1979. Virginia - b. ca. 1904, and Flora Tate - b. ca 1906. I rarely go to this web site but was surfing this morning and ran across your post. If you want to communicate please e-mail me at jackonix@comcast.net or call me at 850-893-6521. Thanks Jack

triciarussell68 (View posts)
Posted: 28 Apr 2012 8:31PM GMT
Thank you Jack... I will do that.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions