Search for content in message boards

Seggerson family

Seggerson

Mary Maher-Shaw (View posts)
Posted: 31 Oct 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
There were 8 Sergerson (note spelling)families in Kerry - according to the book County Kerry Past & Present. John of Kinard, Pat of Ballinskelligs, Jas of Cloghaneanad, Rd. of Dungegan, Ml. of Laharn, Jas. of Derreen, Jas. of Rinneen and John of Ardcost. The book goes on with the following:
Sergerson, from the Norseman Sigurd who fell at Clontarf battle; the family were merchants at Liverpool, Bristol, Dublin, Cork, etc. 1000-1600: Rd. Harding had a grant of Ballinskelligs abbey which he passed to Chris. Segerson of Dublin in 1615, with Kinard, Dungegan, etc. In 1653, Chris. of Valentia and Rd. of Ballinskellix were confiscated, and Thos., heir to Chris., had a lease in 1697 from Henry Petty. In 1776, among the chief Kerry Papists were Chris. Segerson of Kinard, Jas. and Chris. and John of Cahirbarnagh and Edw. of Cove. In 1779 Jas. of Ballinabloun, being aged, made a transfer, to his son John, of Cahirbarnagh, Killerelig, Canuge, etc., with 30 horses and 342 cattle. The Sergersons married with the local families of O'Connell, O'Mahoney, Conway, O'Sullivan, Surgrue, etc. John of Cove in 1825 left his property to his dau. Lucinda Mahoney of Dromore castle who had Harold and Nora. In 1821 Thos. Segerson resided at Dungegan and John at Castle Cove. In 1810 Alice O'Connell of Glenville, widow of John Sergerson, had Aghatubrid, etc. D. O'Shea wrote a poem on Francis Sergerson.

Seggerson family

jlusser (View posts)
Posted: 31 Oct 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 16 Oct 2001 6:53AM GMT
Surnames: Seggerson, McCarthy, Sugrue
A death certificate recently received indicates that my great-grandgather's mother was Mary Seggerson, born in Caherciveen. She married Daniel McCarthy and their son John was born in 1860. It's great to add another generation to the family tree, but I have never heard of the Seggersons and this sounds like an odd name for Kerry, almost Scandinavian. I'm sure the notation about birth in Caherciveen is correct, however. Does anybody have knowledge of the name/family with this surname?
Thanks, Jennifer

Segerson

Christine Segerson Horrigan (View posts)
Posted: 20 Nov 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Segerson
Based on what I have been told over the years by family members, Segerson (or Sigerson) is a derivation of "Sigurd's son". Our ancestors were allegedly from Denmark and settled on the western coast of Ireland in Cahirciveen. There is actually a hotel/bar there called the "Sigerson Arms" which my parents have visited. Segerson is an unusual family name. Of course, we all think that we are descended from royalty. We are a relatively small family here in the United States, mostly centered in Indiana and Connecticut.

Re: Segerson

magbow77 (View posts)
Posted: 1 Nov 2004 3:31PM GMT
Edited: 9 Jul 2005 12:51PM GMT

Sergerson (note spelling)families in Kerry - according to the book County Kerry Past & Present. John of Kinard, Pat of Ballinskelligs, Jas of Cloghaneanad, Rd. of Dungegan, Ml. of Laharn, Jas. of Derreen, Jas. of Rinneen and John of Ardcost. The book goes on with the following:
Sergerson, from the Norseman Sigurd who fell at Clontarf battle; the family were merchants at Liverpool, Bristol, Dublin, Cork, etc. 1000-1600: Rd. Harding had a grant of Ballinskelligs abbey which he passed to Chris. Segerson of Dublin in 1615, with Kinard, Dungegan, etc. In 1653, Chris. of Valentia and Rd. of Ballinskellix were confiscated, and Thos., heir to Chris., had a lease in 1697 from Henry Petty. In 1776, among the chief Kerry Papists were Chris. Segerson of Kinard, Jas. and Chris. and John of Cahirbarnagh and Edw. of Cove. In 1779 Jas. of Ballinabloun, being aged, made a transfer, to his son John, of Cahirbarnagh, Killerelig, Canuge, etc., with 30 horses and 342 cattle. The Sergersons married with the local families of O'Connell, O'Mahoney, Conway, O'Sullivan, Surgrue, etc. John of Cove in 1825 left his property to his dau. Lucinda Mahoney of Dromore castle who had Harold and Nora. In 1821 Thos. Segerson resided at Dungegan and John at Castle Cove. In 1810 Alice O'Connell of Glenville, widow of John Sergerson, had Aghatubrid, etc. D. O'Shea wrote a poem on Francis Sergerson.

For more info check out
http://www.irish-cottage.net/oconnell/index.htm
O Connell Family Tracts

Re: Segerson

Jennifer Lusser (View posts)
Posted: 4 Nov 2004 7:56AM GMT
Surnames: Sergerson, Sugrue, McCarthy
Thank you, thank you for digging out this old message! Your spelling as Sergerson matches the pronuciation that living descendants use - it was, however, spelled Seggerson on certain US records in the mid 20th century. The "Sergerson" family that I am researching married into the McCarthy family of Caherciveen, and a child of that union emigrated to Montana in 1890. That child was John McCarthy, who himself married Julia Sugrue of Caherciveen in Montana the same year. They evenutally settled in San Francisco. Some of the Sergerson "in-laws" also lived in San Francisco in the early 1900's. I am looking for this family as well.

Thanks again for the information.

Good luck to all researchers, Jennifer
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions