Search for content in message boards

Mahan Book

Mahan Book

mpmcelhiney (View posts)
Posted: 23 Aug 2004 6:29PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 1 Nov 2004 3:27PM GMT
I have a book on Mahan genealogy written by Harold Mahan (and others) in 1994. (updated 2001) It traces some of the Mahan, Mahon, Mahin families from Ireland (William Mahan b.@ 1730) to America through VA, W. VA, Ky, IN and beyond. I would be glad to check for any connections listed there.

Re: Mahan Book

Carole (View posts)
Posted: 28 Aug 2004 3:44AM GMT
Surnames: Mahan, Harbour, Wright, Cotton
I saw your message posted on the Mahan newsletter regarding a book on Mahan
genealogy written by Harold Mahan. I wonder if you would check for me on
the brother of my great-grandmother, who was Margaret Victoria Mahan,
daughter of William (H?) Mahan and Mary Ann Wright, both of Bibb Co. Ala,
before they moved to DeSoto Co., Mississippi. Mary Ann, Vic, and Joe all
ended up in Indian Territory by 1880. Joseph "Joe" moved to Hartshorne,
Pittsburg County, Oklahoma, where he married Carrie ? and had a family.
Have tried to find the Mahans in Bibb County who would be my ancestors, as
well as the children of Joe and Carrie in Hartshorne, Oklahoma. Can you
help?
Thank you,
Carole

Carole (View posts)
Posted: 28 Aug 2004 6:43PM GMT
Surnames: Mahan, Harbour, Wright, Cotton
I saw your message posted on the Mahan newsletter regarding a book on
Mahan
> genealogy written by Harold Mahan. I wonder if you would check for me on
> the brother of my great-grandmother, who was Margaret Victoria Mahan,
> daughter of William (H?) Mahan and Mary Ann Wright, both of Bibb Co. Ala,
> before they moved to DeSoto Co., Mississippi. Mary Ann, Vic, and Joe all
> ended up in Indian Territory by 1880. Joseph "Joe" moved to Hartshorne,
> Pittsburg County, Oklahoma, where he married Carrie ? and had a family.
> Have tried to find the Mahans in Bibb County who would be my ancestors, as
> well as the children of Joe and Carrie in Hartshorne, Oklahoma. Can you
> help?
> Thank you,
> Carole
> Fort Smith, AR

mpmcelhiney (View posts)
Posted: 28 Aug 2004 11:13PM GMT
Edited: 1 Nov 2004 3:27PM GMT
Carole,

They are not part of this book. However there are 3 or 4 people looking for relatives of the Bibb Co, AL Mahans. You might want to check their messages in the MAHAN-L@rootsweb.com list.
Mary

Michael (View posts)
Posted: 29 Aug 2004 9:00PM GMT
Surnames: Mahan, Maloy, Koonce, Ross
Do you have any information about where to obtain a copy of the book you reference? I would like to have a copy for my records.

Thanks.

CherHaile27 (View posts)
Posted: 15 Nov 2004 4:26PM GMT
Surnames: MAHAN, MARTIN
I have a Mahan mystery that seems insoluable. My GGrandfather, ELI ZEBULON MAHAN, b. Ark. 1851- d. Tn. 1917,(son of Lucinda Shoemake Mahan (b. Tenn. 1831) and William A. Mahan (b. KY.1833) later of Mississippi County, Arkansas, Lauderdale County, Tennessee and Illinois) was raised in this MAHAN family, but Eli later changed his last name to MARTIN when he married my GGrandmother Ellen Louise Williams in 1878. In 1860 the Mahans were all living in Canadian Township, Miss. Co., Ark, along with young Martha Elizabeth Mahan (b.1857), and Martha Shoemake, Lucinda's mother, and three Oakley orphans from Maury Co., Tenn. I have met a brick wall trying to find out ANYTHING about this William A. Mahan, and what happened to him, and why Eli Mahan would suddenly change his name to MARTIN. Any thought, ideas, suggestions, or information is greatly appreciated! I have been at solving this for over 20 years! Thanks! Cher Haile (cher@mindspring.com)

Bonnie Schofield (View posts)
Posted: 24 Nov 2004 10:34PM GMT
Surnames: Mahan, Colvin
I have a Mahan ancestor, Laura Mahan (b.1868 Johnson Co, KY). Her mother was Mary Ann Mahan (b.1851 Johnson Co, KY). Mary Ann's parents were Johial "Johnny" Mahan (b.1827 NC) and Rebecca Colvin (b.1826/33 prob KY). Johnny's parents were very likely Henry Mahan (b.1792/3 VA)and wife Elizabeth UNK (b.1794/5 VA). On the 1850 Johnson Co census, Henry's mother is listed as Polly (a widow), often a nickname for Mary (b.Abt1776). I would greatly appreciate any information on Henry's father and his mother's maiden name if possible. Thanks in advance. I will share what I have.

Bonnie Schofield

PatBarrett84 (View posts)
Posted: 10 Dec 2004 9:01PM GMT
Edited: 10 Nov 2005 12:16AM GMT
I just joined this message board and am very intereted in the Mahan book you mention. I have just posted my query, entitled "Mahans of Guernsey and Mahoning counties, Ohio". I am interested in locating more information on Thomas Mahan, who came to US in about 1832 or 1833; he died in Guernsey County, Ohio, in about 1842. Is there anything in your book regarding that family, or the Edward Mahan family from Mahoning County, Ohio? I am grateful for any information. Also, do you know where I might obtain a copy of the book you have?

mary fannin (View posts)
Posted: 16 Dec 2004 1:38AM GMT
Surnames: Sluss,Mahan,Eastwood,Deal
would like to find out about William R Mahan/Bud Deal.mother Louise Eastwood,father John/JoinerMahan.any information would be appreciated.Mary Sluss,Fannin

rinders1_1 (View posts)
Posted: 23 Jan 2005 7:06PM GMT
The first mention of a Thomas in Harold Mahan's book, DESCENDANTS OF WILLIAM MAHAN - 1766-1994, is a Thomas Hammond Mahan. He was born in 1832, in Greencastle, IN, his father is John Mahan of VA, who died 1847.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions