Search for content in message boards

SCHMELL changed to SNELL in Ohio ca.1900

SCHMELL changed to SNELL in Ohio ca.1900

Bersie420 (View posts)
Posted: 15 Sep 2001 11:56PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 8 Jan 2005 3:07PM GMT
Surnames: Schmell, Snell
I am looking for my Schmell ancestors in Clark Co., Ohio and since there are no SCHMELL message boards I am posting in similar surname boards. My great grandfather was Adam SCHMELL who changed his name to SNELL somtime around 1900. I believe his father's name was Adam also, but I am not sure. Any information on SCHMELL's in Ohio would be appreciated.

Re: SCHMELL changed to SNELL in Ohio ca.1900

jesnell (View posts)
Posted: 30 Nov 2001 3:56PM GMT
Edited: 8 Jan 2005 3:29PM GMT
I have seen information on an Adam Snell and family moving into Clermont Count Ohio but it was shortly after 1800. Reply if this is of interest to you.

Jim

brian (View posts)
Posted: 30 Nov 2001 5:47PM GMT
Edited: 8 Jan 2005 3:27PM GMT
I am a descendant of Adam Snell in Clermont County and am interested in any information that you can provide. Will do the same. Brian bholder@lausd.k12.ca.us

Re: Schmell changed to Snell in Ohio ca 1900

Amber Snell (View posts)
Posted: 30 Nov 2001 9:44PM GMT
Edited: 8 Jan 2005 3:06PM GMT
I have seen so many posts about this Adam Snell that I almost wish he was my ancestor! However, no such luck. My Adam didn't change his name to Snell until almost 1900. Thanks for the response anyway.

Re: SNELL in Ohio

billferguson97 (View posts)
Posted: 19 Jan 2002 6:27AM GMT
Edited: 8 Jan 2005 3:08PM GMT
Surnames: Snell, Walker
I am descended from Adam Snell from Brown/Clermont county Ohio also. From the "Clermont Sun" newspaper, an article of the WALKER and SNELL reunion in Oct 1883.
"Adam SNELL
Prior to 1804 resided at Hagarstown, Maryland, but for reasons of his own he decided to "go West" and accordingly came to Ohio and purchased a farm containing about 600 acres, situated in Western part of Brown County and is now known as the Morgan farm. Having purchased his farm he returned to Maryland for his family which consisted of his wife, eight girls and two boys, Michael being the eldest. The rest are in order of their ages as follows: Polly (Mary), Elizabeth, Hannah, Susan, Daniel, Matilda, Kizzie, Rachael and Julia."
I have the complete article if you are interested. Daughter Elizabeth (Betsy) married Hillery B. Walker. I am descended from this line.
contact me if this is your line.
Carol

Virginia Parmenter (View posts)
Posted: 19 Jan 2002 3:15PM GMT
Edited: 8 Jan 2005 3:09PM GMT
Surnames: Snell, Malott
There was a second, unrelated, family of Snells in the same
area. Daniel Snell who married Edna Malott, also of
Hagarstown, MD, came to Clermont about 1808. This line
of Snells originated in South Carolina. Tracing Snells in SW
Ohio is more difficult because the two families can be
confusing. If you don't fit in the Adam Snell line you likely
fit into our Snell family. Virginia

Amber Snell (View posts)
Posted: 19 Jan 2002 4:57PM GMT
Edited: 8 Jan 2005 3:17PM GMT
Surnames: SNELL, SCHMELL
Hi! Thanks for your reply, but this is not the Adam I'm looking for. I've seen these people's names in my research, but my Adam was of German descent, and didn't change his name from SCHMELL to SNELL until the late 1800's. I really wish that was my line, because it seems like I would have more luck in finding information. I have been unable to find any information on my SNELL ancestors past my great grandfather, Adam SCHMELL. He was born and died in Clark Co., Ohio, so it couldn't be the Adam you've mentioned. Thanks anyway for your help!

Amber

jesnell (View posts)
Posted: 20 Jan 2002 8:59PM GMT
Edited: 8 Jan 2005 3:13PM GMT
At the close of the R. War, three brothers, George, David, and Daniel, fled South Carolina to Nova Scotia. Sometime prior to the 1790 census these brothers returned to the US and settled in Hagerstown. About the same time Adam Snell moved from Hagerstown to Cleremont County OH, Daniel and David also moved there (George remained in Maryland). It appears that these two Snell lines are not related but it has always seemed almost too coincidental that they moved in such similar fassions. Daniel, David and George had uncles/cousins in South Carolina named Adam Snell and I had wondered if one of these could be the Adam Snell that lived in Hagerstown and Cleremont County - apparantly this is not the case.

bholder104 (View posts)
Posted: 22 Jan 2002 3:28PM GMT
Edited: 8 Jan 2005 3:14PM GMT
Yes, this is my line. I am descended from Daniel. My email address is bholder104@hotmail.com. Brian

Re: SNELL, Adam in Ohio

billferguson97 (View posts)
Posted: 23 Jan 2002 3:10AM GMT
Edited: 18 Feb 2002 5:05AM GMT
Surnames: Snell, Walker, Adams
Brian,
Glad to make contact with another descendant. I will email you separately the Adam Snell article from the Walker and Snell Reunion. In my records, I have Daniel Snell married 1stca 1820 to Rachel Peckinbaugh Applegate. They had 2 children Adam Snell (married Missouri Barnett) and Mary Ann (married John Tucker). I don't know how that marriage ended, death or divorce? but he married 2nd Susanna Pobst Oct 1, 1840, Clinton, OH. They had children David Pobst, Alonzo Bertram, Keziah Marcena, Daniel Porter, Matilda Jane, Sarah Frances and Ann Elizabeth. Is this what you show? I have information copied in 1968 from the SNELL Bible that was in possession of Mrs. Clarence Lytle (deceased now). The Bible was published by C F Yent, 1869 and apparently is the Bible of Daniel Snell and Susanna Pobst. A second Bible in her possession was published by Edgewood Publ Co. 1892 and lists the family of Charles W Snell and Lizzie Young.
I also have color copies of a Bible record provided by William Keye. This has record of Daniel Snell and Susanna Pobst also, this Bible published by J H Buckmaster, 1895 it all appears to have been filled in later and at one time. I will gladly share copies of the above information. I would like to have copies of what your Bible has, with publisher information etc.
The Probate Court of Brown County, OH has records regarding Daniel Snell. I have some of this typed up I can mail to you or maybe scan in and send if you are interested. This info can also be found on FHL film 974558 (Index to Journal of the Probate court of Brown Co. OH) FHL film 384290 (Will Records Vol 3-4 1849 - 1869) and FHL film 384291 (Will records Vol 5-6 1868-1880). If you need/want what I have on that, let me know. I also have a photo of Daniel Snell's tombstone in Williamsburg Cemetery. So, let me know what you want. I also am interested in your line of descent. I am descended from Adam Snell's daughter Elizabeth Snell (m. Hillery B. Walker), their daughter Matilda Walker (m. Stephen Adams), their son Joshua Rufus "Dott" Adams (m. Ida Maude Reinhart), their son Burton S (m. Minnie Kugler) and I am one of their children.
Thanks for writing.
Carol cspitz@wideopenwest.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions