Search for content in message boards

The Cliffs

The Cliffs

Barbara Wright Miller (View posts)
Posted: 16 Jan 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Talbott, Mears, Thomas, Ewen, Benton, Birckhead
Looking for information on any of the following names, Talbott, Ewen, Thomas, Birckhead, Mears and Benton.
I would also like to know where "The Cliff"s are located?? I read somewhere they were in Calvert Co. Maryland ... but have seen reference to other counties in Maryland... any response will be helpful..... barb

Cliffs

Mehl Hart (View posts)
Posted: 18 Jan 2001 12:00PM GMT
The Cliffs as I know them are located in Calvert County near
the town center of Lusby, MD. The Calvert Cliffs state park is located just off of Rt 765 and Hwy 4.

I am currently doing research on several cemetaries and family plots in and around the cliffs. The transcriptions of the Head stones will eventually be posted on the Calvert County MDGenWeb Site. I hope this information helps.

The Clifts

bartramobert (View posts)
Posted: 10 Feb 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 30 Jun 2001 10:58PM GMT
The book "A History of Calvert County, Maryland" by Charles Stein has information on several of the names you mention. Most of these are well known names, a good deal has been published about them. Several were Quakers. The book "Quaker Records of Southern Maryland," by Henry C. Peden Jr., contains the records from the Clifts Monthly Meeting Register (Quaker). This register mentions several of the families you named. You might also try "Anne Arundel Gentry" by Newman. Calvert records are meager. However, you can find probate records for the period up to about 1777. The Calvert Rent Rolls have been published by T.L.C. Genealogy. This company has also published many of the still existing early Anne Arundel land records.

THE CLIFFS

Burt Worthington (View posts)
Posted: 9 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 5 Jul 2005 1:08AM GMT
Surnames: DARE, HOOPER
I am interested in what any of you turn up on the (lower)Cliffs.
My ancestors, Robert Widdrington m Elizabeth Dare ca 1700 lived on the "clifts", the properties having been acquired by Nathaniel Dare since they were initially patented by Henry Hooper as Hooper's Cliffs.
The visitor's center at Calvert Cliffs Nuclear Power Plant has an interesting display with information going back to the later 1700's, when the property had become the "Wilson Place" of Josiah Wilson who married Nathaniel (II) Dare's daughter, Ann. Part of it was also known as Preston's Cliffs at one time.
The History of Calvert County by Klein sheds a lot of light on the various owners.

EWEN-TALBOTT, et al

JoAnneMackby (View posts)
Posted: 21 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 14 Oct 2002 5:53PM GMT
Barbara: You are entirely welcome. I would be happy to help
you, since I agree, the reprint is very small and difficult
to read. If you can see this, we can work together either on
this site or privately.

Jo Anne

Thanks

Barbara Wright Miller (View posts)
Edited: 5 Jul 2005 1:05AM GMT
Thanks Jo Anne, for responding to my post...but I already have that book, but it is extremely small print and very difficult to read.....I am at the age where I need the print bigger, not smaller....maybe I can find another one, that is printed at a normal font size....thanks again, barb

Desc. of Richard & Elizabeth (Ewen) Talbott

Edited: 5 Jul 2005 1:04AM GMT
Surnames: Talbott, Ewen
Barbara: You need the book compiled by Ida Morrison(Murphy)
Shirk: Descendants of Richard and Elizabeth (Ewen) Talbott of Poplar Knowle West River, Anne Arundel County, Maryland.
Reprinted by Clearfield Pub.Co. It may be out of print and is an expensive paperbound book which does not wear well. If
you cannot find the original 1927 cloth edition or the above
I shall be happy to do lookups. I am well acquainted with the original families most of whom were Quakers, members of
the West River Meeting in Anne Arundel Co.and the Cliffs'
Monthly Meeting in Calvert Co. I am a descendant of Sarah
(Mears)Talbott who marr.William Allnutt.

Re: Desc. of Richard & Elizabeth (Ewen) Talbott

71tobarr (View posts)
Posted: 20 Jan 2002 7:11AM GMT
Edited: 5 Jul 2005 12:23AM GMT
Surnames: Currant, Richardson, Cole, Ewen
I am looking for information on Margaret Richardson who married James Current/Currant around 1767 possibly in Virginia, but they could have been married elsewhere. I think she was born around 1709-1711. We have that her mother is Margaret Coale/Cole and her father was Richard Richardson, Sr., his father is Wlliam Richardson b Aub 26 1668 and his mother is listed as Elizaabeth Scarborough Ewen. Although I think she may have also been married to a Talbott too. If you can help me trace this line I would really appreciate it. Our family is from Calvert Co Md and according to this info so were the Richardson from Calvert and West River, Anne Arundel Co Md. Also something states the Clifts and I do not know what all of that means--guess I should look at a map..

Thanks again

Jan

Posted: 21 Jan 2002 4:25AM GMT
Edited: 5 Jul 2005 12:22AM GMT
Surnames: Ewen, Talbott
You have the right church but the wrong pews. It will take me
awhile to present this, as it is a rather complex undertaking.
It is probable I shall be able to give you all the information you
need except James Currant/Current. These families became
Quakers after their arrival in Maryland. William2 Richardson, Sr.(s/o Robert1 and Susannah, orig. of Somerset, later of
Anne Arundel Co.) became a minister in the Society of Friends at West River Meeting, AA Co. MD; Will: 21 Dec 1691
28 May 1698. He m. 1667 Elizabeth Ewen d. 1 Jan 1703-4
{d/o Maj. Richard Ewen d. abt 1660 and Sophia m (2) William
Burgess (1622-1686) m (1) Elizabeth Robins m (3) Ursula, Will: 1700-2, m Dr. Mordecai Moore.} Elizabeth Ewen (above)
m (1) Richard Talbott of Poplar Knowle, West River, AA Co.MD, WD 21 Apr 1663. (to be continued)

71tobarr (View posts)
Posted: 21 Jan 2002 5:46AM GMT
Edited: 4 Apr 2002 10:45PM GMT
I am a little confused....
Robert (1) ?_RICHARDSON and SUZANNAH ? ORIG OF SOMERSET LATER OF ANNE ARUNEL CO ARE THE PARENTS OF WILLIAM (2) RICHARDSON
21 DEC 1691 what is that date?? 28 May 1698 what is that date?? William Richardson married Elizabeth Ewen in 1667. I understand that. Elizabeth died 1-1-1703 or 04. I understand that. She is the Daughter of Maj Richard Ewen, he died abt 1660. I understand that. I would like to know if he is a Maj because he was in the military, if so when and what war??? the next part is confusing--maybe when I get more information it will become more clear. Elizabeth Ewen was married to Richard Talbot in April 1663 before she married William Richardson in 1667. Is that right? Elizabaeth robins m who, Ursala Ewen (?) married Dr Mordecai. Is Will a will and how do I get ahold of it? I sure am full of question.....
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions