........ 2 Marcelles White 1850 - 1863AR
........ 2 Cary Mann White 1854 - 1940TX
........ 2 Johnson Butler White 1856 - 1946TX
............ +Mary Ellen Elizabeth Roye 1857 - 1938

Re: WHITE 1800's TN/AR/TX

ccfranks (View posts)
Posted: 27 Oct 2004 7:27PM GMT
Classification: Query
If you are still interested in this White family, please reply to this message or send me an email. I have information on some of Robert's descendants, his father, and his near relatives.

I am descended from Robert's brother William White, born 1814 in Georgia. According to my information Robert was born there as well.

Patricia Grigg (View posts)
Posted: 28 Oct 2004 1:00PM GMT
Although I have no idea if my White Grandfather is related to yours he was born in Tennessee and lived later in Texas. Any information would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Pat

ccfranks (View posts)
Posted: 28 Oct 2004 2:44PM GMT
Do you have any information on your grandfather? What was his name and his spouses names?

I think all my White's were born in Georgia, including the one the previous poster listed as being born in TN. It's possible that a branch went to TN before going on to AR with the rest of the family though.

Sherrell (View posts)
Posted: 28 Oct 2004 7:11PM GMT
My notes are not very organized, and I will keep looking, but I show his son's census indicating Robert was born in TN:

John L. WHITE
Estimated birth year: <1823>
Birthplace: Tennessee
Relation: Self
Home in 1880: Bosque, Texas
Marital status: Married
Race: White
Head of household: John L. WHITE
Father's birthplace: TN
Mother's birthplace: TN
Year: 1880; Census Place: , Bosque, Texas; Roll: T9_1291; Family History Film: 1255291; Page: 443B; Enumeration District: 13; Image: 892.

Posted: 28 Oct 2004 10:51PM GMT
My grandfather's name was H. B. White or Hugh Burton (perhaps Boone) White. From what I understand he was nicknamed Whitey. H.B White and his twin brother (name unknown) were born, from what I've been told, in Talahassee, Tennessee in 1892. My grandfather died, I believe in December of 1942, supposingly in Tennessee. I've been told, before my mother's mind went, that one of his parents was Cherokee. I've also been told he and his twin were orphaned. I have no idea of the age he was when orphaned. He married Zela Baker about 1914 or 1916. Zela Baker was born in Alabama but moved with her family to Galveston, Texas while still single. My mother was their oldest and was born in Alabama in 1917. All of her younger siblings were born in Galveston, Texas. I have no idea if Hugh met Zela in Galveston, Texas or not. But her family lived in Galveston while she was single so it seems likely. Also there was one relative that seemed to think the Baker family took H. B. White in while he was still a youth and then he fell for Zela and married her. That I can't find any record about though. Nor can I find Hugh before he was married to my grandmother Zela. The children of Hugh and Zela White are Alpha Elizabeth White b. 1917, John Thomas White b. 1920, Joseph Alexander White b. 1923, Margaret Carol White b. 1923, Hugh Burton White b. 1925, Zela Ardella White b. 1928, Harry Fletcher White b. 1930, and Glory Ann White b. 1932.

H. B. White died while in his fifties, I've been told, of a heartattack right at Christmas. Zela, his wife, died of breast cancer. Of the children John Thomas White died of typhoid fever as a child. Harry Fletcher White died when 28 of cancer, Joseph Alexander White died in a boating accident, I think. Hugh Burton Whte died of a heartattack. Margaret Carol White died of heart problems.

The three living sisters all have dementia to the point of not being able to give information on anything.

Your message subject caught my eye because of the TN/AR/TX. My grandfather was born in Tennesse, lived in Texas and his wife and children lived in Arkansas for many years while I was a child.

One more note: Before my mother's brain stopped working she said that the H. B. didn't stand for anything, still he is listed as Hugh in some of the census forms. One of my cousins said she was told the H. B. stood for Hugh Boone. Also my grandfather could not read or write so that may account for some of the lack of records on him.

ccfranks (View posts)
Posted: 29 Oct 2004 2:08PM GMT
Patricia,

You have quite a bit to work with. I did a quick search at familysearch.org on the 1880 Census, and there are several Hugh White's listed in Tennessee, one with a son named Thomas White like one of H. B. White's sons. It's a common name, but it's possible your family could be on that list somewhere.

This doesn't appear to be connected with my family, but if I were you I'd start with the 1900, 1910, 1920, and 1930 Census records for Tennessee and try to find your Hugh White. Hopefully you can nail down his birth place and his parent's birthplaces that way.

Good luck!

Posted: 30 Oct 2004 11:39AM GMT
Thank you. I have already found my grandfather in the 1920 and 1930 census, but that is after he was married to Zela and does not give me any hint to his parents. Before 1920 I can't find anything on him. I had inquired of the Tennessee vital records for a birth certificate and they are unable to find one. Unfortunately there does not seem to be a social security death file either. My mother had once said he died in Tennessee, but her memories are so mixed up that she still thinks she lives in Galveston, Texas as a child.

Faye Reynolds (View posts)
Posted: 27 Apr 2005 4:58AM GMT
Sherrill, how are you? You won't believe this but the Robert White that Clint Franks is speaking of is also related to our line!

Clint's Robert was the brother of a William White (both sons of Vincent White b. 1760 NC). His son, William Vincent White, is the White who married Mary Chalotta Belle White, daughter of our Robert White from TN! As a really odd coincidence Clint's Robert (born in GA) was born in or close to (1806-07) the same year as our Robert from TN (by the way, the 1850 Benton Co, AR census also shows Roberts state of birth as TN...couple that with John Lorien's census record giving his birth state as TN, then we most likely can be assured that's where he was born)

I have been working with Donnie (another descendant of William Vincent & Mary Charlotta...she's from my grandmother's sister, Lulu) and we now have this line back to Wm Vincent's grandfather. I can't remember if you are from Robert & Hannah or Robert & Mary Mann, but if you are interested, I can forward you all the info we have "dug" up including siblings, census info, etc.

Right now we are stuck on Vincent..his Rev War pension application states he was born in "Craven Co, NC near New Bern" and there are supposedly at least two lines of Whites that were there, at that time. We not only have to figure out which one he belongs to but how he came to be in Guilford Co, NC in 1779 when he enlisted.

We also have to find two other sons of Vincent White and Jane b. 1770 SC. According to the Hall Co GA Poor School, there was a son named John b. abt 1811-12 and census records show another son born bet. 1800-1810 but we have no name for him.

Anyway, I thought I would straighten out the confusion on the two Robert Whites. Let me know if you want William Vincent White's line.
Faye

crystalynnlee (View posts)
Posted: 3 Jun 2013 6:37PM GMT
Surnames: White
Hi I am Crystalynn (White) Smith. I have heard this story many times growing up. My father Harry F. White is the son of Hugh Burton White and the grandson of your H.B. White. My family has pictures of Zella and of H.B. and I would like to know more about them. I was told that my family came from TN to Galvestion (where I was born). I was told that my grandfather took my dad to an Indian reservation and introduced him to our cousins. Though my father cannot remember where it was. Please e-mail me at crystalynnlee@yahoo.com I would like to know more about my family.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions