Search for content in message boards

Hugh Lee Conn of Gonzales Texas

Hugh Lee Conn of Gonzales Texas

Michael Dreier (View posts)
Posted: 22 Feb 2005 3:36AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Conn
I am new at rootsweb, and new to the Conn message boards. On behalf of my wife who has Conn ancestry dating back to Rev. Hugh Conn, I am attempting to establish a base for research of the Texas Conns. John Thomas Conn who is also listed in various places as Thomas Conn came to Texas in 1837 with his son Hugh Lee Conn. Both men are show on the Republic of Texas tax lists. Hugh Lee Conn became a judge in Gonzales. He resigned this position when he voted against secession in 1861. I have a newspaper article which was written by the "Texas Brigade" historian J.B. Polly some years after the War Between the States. The anti secessionist sentiments of Hugh Lee Conn are mentioned in the article. It is note known exactly what Hugh Lee Conn's exact stance was, but it is possibly a similar stance to that taken by Sam Houston on secession. Nonetheless, Hugh Conn's son Thomas became a captain in the Confederate army and was a company commander in Waul's legion where he saw extensive action. Thomas had also been wounded in action during the Mexican war at the battle of Buena Vista.
Thomas' younger brother Samuel Notley Conn was my wife's ancestor.
After resigning as judge in Gonzales county, Hugh Lee Conn moved to Blanco Texas. There is a building there that is attributed to an Adrian Conn, but I believe that if my understanding is correct that Adrian Was the widow of Thomas Conn.

If any of you Texas Conns can give some information of this family branch, I would really like to exchange some information with you.

Re: Hugh Lee Conn of Gonzales Texas

Ruth Ryan (View posts)
Posted: 3 Mar 2005 11:25AM GMT
Edited: 4 Mar 2005 9:30PM GMT
You should write to Mike Vaughn at nhguavjm@earthlink.net He knows a lot about this Conn line and I'm sure he'd like to rap with you. Tell him to cc the Conn maililng list so we can have your discussion in our archives too.

He also has at least 3 pictures of Hugh Lee Conn.

Michael Dreier (View posts)
Posted: 5 Mar 2005 1:08AM GMT
Edited: 25 May 2006 4:05PM GMT
Thank you, I will write him tonight. I have found out so much more about the Conns in just this past week. I also received a few new pictures of Hugh Lee Conn.

Rebecca Buchanan (View posts)
Posted: 5 Mar 2005 2:22AM GMT
Would anyone be willing to e-mail me pictures of the Conns. Hugh Lee or any Conn, I have only one of Judge Conn. I am making a scrapbook of my Family Heritage and photos make it so much better!
Thank you
Becky

Michael (View posts)
Posted: 6 Mar 2005 12:04AM GMT
I will try to scan some pictures this weekend. Several persons have requested pictures.

Michael

Lori Justus (View posts)
Posted: 3 Feb 2006 9:27PM GMT
Hi! I am related to Hugh Conn, but I'm not sure it's the same one you're related to! My Hugh Conn was born 1780 in Ireland and m. Elizabeth mcDonald. They resided in Kansas City MO. Their son, John Conn, m. Elizabeth (Eliza) Porter and moved to Boone IA. They had Annie, Eliza, Hugh and John. I have a picture of a very distinguished looking Hugh Conn, but I'm not sure which Hugh it is. They also had an uncle named Hugh! (You'd think they could be just a tad more creative when naming their children!) Please email me at justus5@adelphia.net if any of these Conns sound familiar!

mdrei (View posts)
Posted: 4 Feb 2006 6:00AM GMT
Edited: 27 Jul 2006 2:26AM GMT
Your ancestor is apparently Hugh Conn IV. He was the son of Hugh Conn III. Hugh Conn I was also known as Reverend Hugh Conn. He Was the grand father of the Hugh Conn that you refer to. The Reverend Hugh Conn was a Presbyterian minister educated in Scotland. He was a co founder of the first Presbyterian Church in Baltimore Maryland.

Now back to your Hugh Conn. I am not looking at any documents right now, but I think that I remember him. Born Circa 1780. I believe that he was the brother of my wife's ancestor John Thomas Conn. John Thomas Conn also wound up in Missouri before he went to Texas. He was a veteran of the war of 1812. and fought at the battle of the Thames against Tecumseh. He and his son Napoleon Conn tried to get to Texas before the fighting was over, and did not get there in time for the battle of San Jacinto. One of John Thomas Conn's daughters married a Winslow Turner who's father died in the runaway scrape before San Jacinto. The Winslow Turner Junior who had married John Thomas' daughter was involved along with Napoleon Conn in several of the post San Jacinto battles including the battle of Salado Creek, as well as a harrowing escape from a band of Commanches.

Hugh Lee Conn Was John Thomas Conn's other son who was courting Katherine Boyd when the Texas Revolution broke out. Hugh Lee stayed in Missouri to marry Katherine Boyd and followed his father and brother later to Bastrop County Texas. He became the constable of the town of Leon in 1839, and later he became judge in Gonzales.

Hugh was asked to resign after he led the party of Gonzales Citizens who were opposed to secession in 1861, but was reinstated shortly after. Hugh Lee was apparently an old Houstonian. In fact, the Conns who live on the original Conn homestead that the family received in 1839 in Blanco Texas have a framed letter that Hugh Lee received from Sam Houston.

Two of Hugh's sons were in the Confederate army, as well as his younger brother Captain Thomas Conn who rode with General Nathan Bedford Forrest. One of Hugh's sons Singleton Norman Conn died at the battle of Carrion Crow Bayou during the Mansfield campaign. After the war, Hugh was able to do a great deal of service to the community since he was able to intercede on behalf of the people to the occupational army commanders. Since he had originally voted against secession, he was not removed from his post as county judge.

Years later, Hugh and many of his children moved to Blanco Texas, His younger brother Captain Thomas Conn moved there as well. In 1878 Judge Hugh Lee Conn was once again elected Judge of Blanco County Texas. In fact I have a copy of his campaign poster.

I would be interested in seeing the picture that you mentioned. I also have some pictures of some of the Texas Conns, but I am not sure if your Hugh Conn and children came to Texas with John Thomas and his sons and daughters.

wmc1948 (View posts)
Posted: 15 Dec 2006 9:44PM GMT
My name is Mack Crow. I was born and raised in Dripping Springs, Texas. My grandmother was Violet Fay Crow and I was told her grandfather was the County Judge in Blanco,
which is only 28 miles from Dripping Springs, Texas.

GRTUDOR (View posts)
Posted: 15 Dec 2006 10:25PM GMT
I would be interested in the facts about Thomas Conn of your post that was wounded at Buena Vista. There may appear to have been two Thomas Conns wounded at Buena Vista. definitely, 2nd Lt.Thomas Kennedy Conn of Garrard Co., KY was seriously wounded as the local paper published the fact. the day of the Battle was 23 Feb. 1847.

I await your reply.

Gerald Tudor

velmafogle1 (View posts)
Posted: 28 Jan 2007 8:09PM GMT
Surnames: Conn, Norman Taylor & Boyd
I am confused about some of the information regarding my great grandfather Judge Hugh Lee Conn V. He is the son of John Thomas Conn(known as John T. Conn and also J.T. Conn) and his first wife Mary Margaret "Polly" Norman. John T.Conn and his second wife Mary Ellen "Nancy" Taylor emigrated to Mina(Bastrop) Republic of Texas in December, 1836 from Ralls Co. Mo. Hugh Lee Conn and his wife Katherine Boyd emigrated to Mina(Bastrop)Republic of Texas in October, 1837 from Ralls Co., Mo. John T. Conn served on Bastrop County's first Grand Jury convened on October 29, 1838. It is correct that Hugh Lee was appointed Constable for the Burleson District of Mina (which could be Leon) April 1, 1839. Both Conn families moved to Gonzales in 1840. Hugh Lee Conn was elected Chief Justice of Gonzales County on August 6, 1860 for the term ending August 1862. It is true he voted against Secession and was asked to resign in a petition that declared he was "a disgrace to the county" He did not resign but the following winter of 1861/1862 he and his family moved to Grimes Co. to the home of Lydia Margaret Wilson"s(his wife) parents where they remained until Surrender. In the winter of 1865/66 the Conns moved back to Gonzales County. The conditions there were harsh with little income. In 1869/1870 Judge Hugh Lee Conn moved his family to Blanco County where they settled in the Miller Creek Community. I question the 1839 date for the homestead in Blanco County. He became the first elected County Judge of Blanco County after Reconstruction. He served his full term November 5, 1878 to November 25 1880, making him the first elected Judge of Blanco County to serve out his term since the fall of 1865. It is incorrect that he served previously.
Captain Thomas Conn is John Thomas Conn, Jr. son of John T. and Mary Taylor Conn. He was with Singleton Norman Conn when he was killed. John William Conn, son of Judge Hugh Lee Conn and his first wife Katherine Boyd, fought in the Confederacy. He was wounded in the second battle at Manassas, was captured by Union soldiers and exchanged.
I researched the Conns in the Bastrop, Gonzales, Caldwell and Blanco County Courthouses. Also the Texas State Library and Archives

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions