Search for content in message boards

BEGLEY - Southeastern KY origins

BEGLEY - Southeastern KY origins

trailseekjps (View posts)
Posted: 22 Sep 2009 1:17AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: BEGLEY, BOWLING, EVERSOLE, LEWIS, FELTNER, NAPIER,
*Thomas Begley, born in the 1730's, lived In PA, VA, NC & in early Knox Co, KY.
His claimed children include:
# I. Henry/Old Henry/Begley born abt. 1756VA

“Old Henry” born abt. 1756 era, who as an adult moved into lower North Carolina and lower Virgina lands, brought most of his family into Southeastern Kentucky, then he picked up and left KY with some of his adult children and went down to TN about 1830 year.

One adult son “Henry C. Begley” born 1792 in VA remained and lived then in Clay / Perry County, lands of KY with his growing family. His brother William went to TN. More later about William Sr. and, William Begley Jr 1800 and his two wives.

Henry C. Begley 1792VA md Elizabeth Roberts 1792NC, d/o Jesse Roberts & Nancy Anderson.
Their children all born in KY includes:

1. John R./Democrat/ John Begley 1820-1892 md 1st, BETSY WARD aka Betsy Eversole in 1835.
> John R. Begley 1820 md #2 in 1840s Lucy Eversole. But later in 1848 never legally divorced her. Lucy's father Joseph E. was s/o Woolery Eversole, s/o pioneer Jacob E. & Mary Kessler.
> John R. Begley 1820-1892 had ch. by Catherine Sandlin, d/o James Sandlin & Zilphy Baker
> "Democrat John" - John R. Begley finally legally md in 1867, Catherine Sandlin.

2. Pharis Begley b. 1818 KY md Mary York b. 1819 KY, d/o Andrew York & Hannah Bolling/Bowling.

3. Malinda Begley 1820 md Isaac Langdon 1815TN, s/o Samuel

4. Letha Ann Begley 1824 md William Combs 1822, his 1st wife.

5. Marinda Begley 1826 md William Eadin 1831VA

6. Elijah R. Begley 1827-1897 md 1st, Mary Combs 1831VA-1885VA, d/o Samuel Combs & Nancy Cornett of Perry County, KY.
> Elijah R. Begley 1827-1897 & his family lived in Wise Co, VA during the Civil War.
> Elijah joined The Confederate Army. After Civil War he moved to Owsley Co., KY
> Elijah R. Begley 1827-1897, had out o wedlock 2 children, with Ms. Mary Howe.
> Elijah R. Begley 1827-1897, md 2nd legal wife, Rhoda Hamilton, who was the "widow Oldham" & she raised his children, as Mrs. Begley.

7. Swimpfield Begley 1829-1902 md Mary Davidson 1837, d/o Tyre Davidson.

8. Nancy Begley 1830KY md James T. McIntosh 1830, s/o Roderick McIntosh 1775 Scotland-1889KY

9. Sarah Begley 1832KY-1884KY md Henry Johnston 1828KY-1907KY, s/o James Johnston 1800NC & 2nd wife, Margaret Gay of KY. James Johnston 1800-1889KY s/o Samuel born 1777 Scotland who died 1861 KY.

Can you relate ?

Researchers, should consider in your search for relationship to the above “BEGLEY pioneers of Southeastern Kentucky”, that many other families are among today’s relatives who can relate to this BEGLEY lineage with surnames such as: Abbott, Adams, Amis, Bailey, Baker, Barger, Bell, Bender, Britton, Brewer, Bradford, Blair, Brandenburg, Burns, Burke, Bowling, Bunch, Burton, Burnett, Campbell, Callaway, Carr, Carter, Cecil, Chandler, Combs, Clark, Colwell, Couch, Cornett, Creech, Crawford, Davidson, Deaton, Duncan, Dyche, Dunagan, Eadin, Eversole, Feltner, Fields, Gabbard, Garrett, Hacker, Hamilton, Hensley, Holland, Hoskins, Howard, Howe, Huff, Johnston, Johnson, Jones, Lewis, Lynch, Mays, Meade, McIntosh, Morgan, Moore, Morris, Napier, Newton, Noble, Oliver, Parson, Ricketts, Robinson, Ross, Sizemore, Shepherd¸ Spurlock, Smith, Stidham, Stacy, Turner, Vaughn, Valentine, Warren, Weaver, West, Williams, Whitaker, Wooten, Wooton, York, et al.

Re: BEGLEY - Southeastern KY origins

JohnSullivan4726 (View posts)
Posted: 22 Sep 2009 8:47PM GMT
Classification: Death
Surnames: BEGLEY, GRIFFITH, VALENTINE, ROBERTS, JOHNSON
Continuing with the children of Henry C. Begley 1792 & Elizabeth Roberts 1792:
Second Child:
2. Pharis Begley 1818 md Mary York 1819, d/o Andrew York & Hannah Bolling / Bowling
Their fourth child:
d. Malinda Begley 1845 md Edward Wade Valentine 1842, s/o William Valentine & Polly McCreary
Their seventh child:
(7) Sam Valentine 1880/82 – d. 1/1964 md #1 Dellie Griffith whom d. 1921
MALINDA BEGLEY mother of SAM VALENTINE:

Children By Dellie Griffith Valentine:
(a) Ida Valentine 1907 Wilder Branch
(b) Faris Valentine 1908 Wilder Branch – d. 6 Jan. 1975 (KDI) age 68
(c) Linda Valentine 1910 Wilder Branch
(d) Martha Valentine 1911 Wilder Branch
(e) Dorothy Valentine 12 Jan. 1918 Wilder Branch

> > > > > > > > > > > > > >
Dorothy Valentine Johnson
(January 12, 1918 - September 20, 2009)

The obituary of Mrs. Dorothy Valentine Johnson
Officiating Minister: Rev. Henry Clay Robertson

Mrs. Dorothy Valentine Johnson born on January 12, 1918, departed this life on September 20, 2009, at the age of 91 years. She was born in Leslie County, KY, the daughter of the late Sam Valentine and the late Della Griffie Valentine.

By occupation she was a homemaker and had been a life-long resident of Leslie County.

Mrs. Dorothy Johnson was a member of the Confluence Baptist Church.

Some of her hobbies included quilting and sewing. She was a proud member of the Republican Party and also a past member of the Hyden Lions Club.

Dorothy was preceded in death by her parents Sam and Della Valentine;
Husband: Jewett Johnson of Leslie County, KY;
Three sisters: Ida Begley, Martha Settles and Linda Keen;
Three brothers: Farris Valentine, Emmitt Valentine, and Oscar Valentine;

One half-brother; Fred Sizemore.

Dorothy Valentine Johnson leaves surviving the following relatives:
Two sons: Don Johnson & Mildred of Brownsboro, IN,
Michael Johnson & Linda of London, KY;

Five daughters: Elaine McBride & Mike of Indianapolis, IN,
Bernice Ashley & Jimmy of Lexington, KY,
Sylvia Osborne & Cliff of Hyden, KY,
Linda Carol Johnson & Daniel Watkins of Mount Serling, KY and
Vanda Faye Johnson of Lexington, KY,

special niece: Velma Walker,
She is also survived by 12 grandchildren, 15 great grandchildren, three special grandchildren & caregivers: Tracey Francis, Jennifer Eldridge and Jimmy Dean Feltner, special friends & caregivers: Patty Feltner, Connie Caldwell, Stevie Caldwell, Bobby Joe Feltner and Jimmy Feltner, and a host of other treasured relatives and friends.

Funeral services for Mrs. Dorothy Johnson will be conducted at 1:00 P.M. - Tuesday - September 22, 2009, at the Confluence Baptist Church at Confluence, KY with Rev. Henry Clay Robertson officiating.

Burial will follow in the "Johnson, Morgan & Feltner Cemetery" at Confluence, KY.

The following will serve as pallbearers: Jimmy Dean Feltner, Daniel Watkins, Darrell Valentine, Bige Morris, Calloway Bowling and Cliff Osborne. Visitation will begin at 6:00 P.M. -Monday - September 21, 2009, at the Dwayne Walker Funeral Home Chapel in Hyden, KY. AND from 11:00 A.M. - Tuesday until the funeral time at 1:00 p.m. at the Confluence Baptist Church, Confluence, KY.

PHOTO & Guest BOOK at: http://www.walkerfuneralhomesllc.com/index.cfm
> > > > > > > > > >

kmjsmom (View posts)
Posted: 2 Apr 2010 4:37AM GMT
You have obviously done much more research on this line than I have. However, you note John R. Begley's 2nd wife as Lucy Eversole, d/o Joseph, s/o Woolery, s/o Jacob and Mary.
I have a birthdate for Lucy of circa 1845-death circa 1936. Do I have the wrong dates for Lucy?

JanicePilling28 (View posts)
Posted: 20 Jul 2010 1:15PM GMT
I noticed that you have swiched Malinda & Marinda.
Marinda was the sister who married Isaac Langdon. You can check this in the Census Records. I have a picture of both of their Cemetery gravestones. One says
Marinda Langdon
Born Oct 11, 1820
Died Sept 5, 1885.

The other reads Malinda Edens
1822-1858

They are in Mosley Bend Cemetery near Confluence, Leslie Co., KY.

Marinda named one of her daughters after her sister Malinda. This Malinda Langdon was married to Wade Valentine.

Malinda Begley Edens had two daughters-Elizabeth & Mary Etta Edens. They are listed living with their grandparents Henry & Betty Begley on the 1860 Census in Hazard, Perry Co., KY. Their father is with Farris (Pharis) Begley next door. They are with their father in 1870 in Station Camp, Estill Co., KY. Their father William Edens has a new wife Emily.

Posted: 20 Jul 2010 1:24PM GMT
OPPS!--
I got this mixed up too.
It was brother Pharis/Ferris Begley that named a daughter Malinda after his sister, and this Malinda Begley married Wade Valentine.

rosalene63 (View posts)
Posted: 21 Jul 2010 8:51PM GMT
Surnames: Begley & Roberts.
Glad to see someone else has researched this family. Henry and Elizabeth Roberts Begley are our family's direct ancestors. I have never been able to locate the exact date of their death, and or where they are buried. Elijah Roberts Begley was there son, and our gggg grandfather. Any help will be very much appreciated.

rosalene63 (View posts)
Posted: 21 Jul 2010 9:12PM GMT
Surnames: BEGLEY, LANGDON, VALENTINE
I do not have Marinda and Isaac T. Langdon with a daughter named Malinda. The census records I have for 1850, 1860 and 1880 do not list a child named Malinda.

I have a Marinda Begley, born 1843. dtr of Pharis & Mary Caudill married to a Edward "Wade" Valentine, born 1841.

Posted: 22 Jul 2010 12:01PM GMT
No, I don't have a daughter named Malinda for Marinda Begley & Isaac Langdon either. That was my mistake was what I was trying to say in the 2nd post. I was remembering wrong. The Malinda Begley who married Wade Valentine was the daughter of Ferris Begley, brother of Marinda & Malinda who were daughters of Henry C. & Betty (Roberts) Begley.
I really don't have much more to be able to add. I have that Farris was married to Mary York but you have Mary Caudill. Were they the same person?

I have seen several theories for the parents of Henry C. Begley. I have searched out what has been available for years and also corresponded with Govan Begley as he has researched. He is a descendant of Henry C. & Betty Roberts Begley. We both believe that Henry C. Begley's parents were Thomas Begley & Nancy Cox. Thomas Cox was the son of Henry Begley who was of Hampshire Co., VA and reported to have come from Ireland. We don't think this was the Henry who lived in Chatham Co. NC and left a will and died in 1802. Both were married to Elizabeth's. We believe that our ancestor was the Henry who married ELizabeth Pearsall and that they moved into Montgonery Co, part of which became Wythe CO.,VA by 1790 and later part became Tazewell CO., VA . Later he moved down into Hawkins CO, TN and bought land there. His son JOhn moved as well and bought land on Richardson's Creek by 1799. They were among the early tax payers in 1809-1811 in Hawkins Co., TN. John's son Henry Hawkins Begley was there too and remained in the Hawkins Co, area. These are my ancestors. Henry Hawkins Begley married Caty Pearson. Their daughter Martha married Isham Edens. It was one of his cousins that went to KY and married Malinda Begley.

judyt1957 (View posts)
Posted: 13 Apr 2011 4:42AM GMT
Surnames: Begley
Hi there, I have these dates for what it's worth, Thomas Begley, 1734 - 1802 and Nancy Cox 1739 to 1855. I truly doubt she lived over 100 years. LOL But it's surprising how many places I see these same dates!

rosalene63 (View posts)
Posted: 13 Apr 2011 6:35AM GMT
Surnames: BEGLEY
Thomas Begley died between 1822 before 1830, and Nancy died aft 1830 She was head of the house in 1830.

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions