Search for content in message boards

Robert Wright, 1782 Brunswick Co., Va., and sons: John, Reuben, Joshua, Austin, William

Robert Wright, 1782 Brunswick Co., Va., and sons: John, Reuben, Joshua, Austin, William

lwrightjax (View posts)
Posted: 26 Dec 2002 3:15AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 8 Jul 2006 10:09PM GMT
Surnames: Wright
Analysis of the deeds for Brunswick Co., Va., has identified a family named WRIGHT living in the Waqua Creek area, about which I am trying to find additional information, particularly on the men named JOHN WRIGHT. Does anyone have anything that helps to clarify this situation?
First Generation:
ROBERT WRIGHT moved from King William Co., Va., to Brunswick Co., Va., before 20 Feb 1777, where he died in 1782/3. He had at least three sons:
Second Generation:
1. REUBEN WRIGHT, b. ca. 1735, d. ca. 1788 Brunswick Co., Va.;
2. JOSHUA WRIGHT (no further information)
3. AUSTIN WRIGHT, b. ca. 1745, d. 1820 Mecklenburg Co., Va.,
Other possible sons or close relatives:
4. JOHN WRIGHT, b. ca. 1730, who was known on the Brunswick Co., Va., tax rolls as John (Taylor) Wright through 1791.
5. WILLIAM STANHOPE WRIGHT, died (probably) in Brunswick Co., Va., about 1785.
Third Generation
Children of Reuben Wright
1. JOHN WRIGHT
2. REUBEN WRIGHT, d. 1819 Mecklenburg Co., Va.
3. LABAN WRIGHT, d. 1795, Brunswick Co., Va.
Children of Austin Wright
1. JOHN WRIGHT
2. AUSTIN WRIGHT, JR.
Children of John (Taylor) Wright
1. JOHN WRIGHT, JR. b. ca. 1767
2. unknown, b. ca. 1772

Re: Robert Wright, 1782 Brunswick Co., Va., and sons: John, Reuben, Joshua, Austin, William

JuanitaWright72 (View posts)
Posted: 16 Jan 2003 8:13PM GMT
Edited: 16 Jan 2003 8:55PM GMT
I do not recognize any of your ancestors mentioned in the e-mail, however I wonder if some of your third generation might be connected to my James Wright b ca 1760 possibly Orange Co, Va had a son Robert Wright b 3 Nove 1808 Orange Co and a daughter Martha Jane Wright b ca 1815 Orange Co, VA. Robert and Martha were said to be orphans in 1826 at which time both were living with relatives in Orange Co, VA.Robert came to Rockingham Co, VA in 1826 and in 1833 brought his sister Martha Jane to Rockingham. On Martha's marriage license it says her father was James Wright of Orange Co, VA deceased. Who and where are their relatives. Juanita

Re: Robert Wright, 1782 Brunswick Co., Va., and sons: John, Reuben, Joshua, Austin, William

DianeEthridge51 (View posts)
Posted: 31 Jan 2003 4:06AM GMT
Edited: 5 May 2003 4:53AM GMT
Surnames: Wright, Gilbert, McComas
I suspect that my Reuben Wright b 1759 VA is part of this family. How he fits in, I can't tell you just yet. My Reuben m Anna Gilbert 1798 in Sussex/Surry Co VA & d 1852 in Wayne Co IN. He was a M. E. minister in IN & I haven't been able to find his family of origin. I am desc from Reuben & Anna's son, James Wright, who marr Lucinda McComas in Rush Co IN 1830. Would you happen to have another Reuben in that family? Thanks.

lwrightjax (View posts)
Posted: 1 Feb 2003 12:20AM GMT
I have been studying the WRIGHT families of Brunswick, Lunenburg, and Mecklenburg County, VA, from 1760-1820, using public records. To date, I have examined

the will and deed books, marriage records, tax lists and some miscellaneous records, and am still working on the court order books. The information I have obtained

on men named Reuben Wright.

1. The Brunswick Co., Va., tax lists, show a Reuben Wright, with three white males, two under 21, and threes black males, present in the upper district in 1783. He

appears with a son, Reuben Wright, Jr., in 1787. In 1789, only one Reuben appears. This Reuben Wright appears every year through 1795, when he paid tax

on himself, one white under 21, and two black males, and then disappearing from the tax lists.

2. On October 15, 1777, Reuben Wright, “of King William Co.,” bought 150 acres in Brunswick Co., Va., from Thomas Briggs and his wife Elizabeth, described as

“beginning on beginning at a small hickory on a Branch thence up the meanders of the said branch to a red oak on the same thence south three hundred and eight

pole to a red oak on the line Hensley his line …two hundred two poles to his corner on Mathis [Martin?]…thence by a line of marked trees to the land of M… Branch

and David H… in the said branch to Walker’s Line thence along his line to the beginning….” Witnesses to this indenture included Robert Wright, Samuel Briggs and

Joshua Wright.

3. On 16 October 1795, Reuben Wright and Charlotte, his wife, sold to Leonard Ward Walker for £100 Virginia money, 150 acres of land in Brunswick Co., Va.

Reuben Wright signed this indenture, and Charlotte made her mark. This is almost certainly the land acquired by Reuben Wright from Thomas Briggs in 1777 as

evidence by the fact that this land bounded on “Walker’s” line.

4. Reuben Wright appears on the tax rolls of Mecklenburg Co., Virginia, in 1796, where he appears near Austin Wright, paying tax on one white male and five black.

In 1798, John Wright, son of Reuben, makes his first appearance on the tax lists. The appearance of John Wright, son of Reuben, on the tax list of 1798 implies he

turned 21, so giving an estimated birth year of 1777. Assuming his father, himself, was at least 21, this implies a birth year for Reuben of before1756.

5. Reuben, subsequently Reuben, Sr., makes an appearance on the Mecklenburg Co., Va., tax lists at least through 1814. (I did not check 1815-1820). He is

surely the Reuben Wright who wrote a will 18 December 1817, probated in Mecklenburg Co., Va., 17 May 1819. He signed this will with a mark, and left his estate to

his “loving Wife” (not named) and his eight children, of whom John appears to be the oldest son. Reuben Wright 1819 Mecklenburg County, died possessed of at least

17 slaves, and land.

6. I can find only two deeds where Reuben Wright is the grantee of land purchased in Mecklenburg County, Virginia. The first, dated 16 September 1816,

purchased land from Austin Wright, Jr., Mary Wright, and others. The second transaction, which clearly involves Reuben Wright, Jr., dated 16 August 1824 was a

purchase from John Hopkins.

7. He also bought two slaves from his son-in-law, Reuben Drummington 24 November 1807. The debt with Reuben Drummington was returned to his daughter

“Polly” in Reuben’s will.

8. On 21 April 1817, Reuben Wright and Charlotte, his wife, sold land to Joseph Bennett. The administrators of Reuben Wright sold his lands March 15, 1824, the

same day that lands inherited by his son William Wright were sold by his administrators. (I do not have a copy or extract of these deeds, either.) Since Reuben had

extensive slave holdings, he surely had lands to go with it, yet there is no record of land purchase in Mecklenburg Co., Va., of sufficiently early date to account for this.

It looks to me like he must have inherited the land, probably in 1795 or so, when he moved to Mecklenburg County. Secondary sources suggest his land was near

the present-day Palmer Springs , on the south side of the Roanoke.

9. The will of “Labin” Wright was written 29 May 1795 and probated 27 July 1795. He leaves his mother, who is not named, “my sow & six pigs, all my cattle, 2

chairs, my cotton, my bed, my bees, my hat”; to his brother John, “3 sows & shoats, my shoe boots, my mixed coat”; and to his brother Reuben “1 chest, my greatcoat,

my close body coat, my bridle & saddle, my shoes & buckles, a couple of jackets.” He instructed his administrators to sell his horse to pay his debts. He does not

mention any land and also forgot to name an administrator. He signed the will with an “X”. The will was witnessed by Thomas Richardson , John Rodgers and Henry

(x) Brewer. Administration was granted to John Wright, with Thomas Richardson as his security. This man will be referred to as 1795 Laban Wright.

10. Since 1819 Reuben Wright is the only Reuben Wright on the tax rolls of Brunswick Co., Va., at this time, this will implies that this Laban Wright, whom I will refer to

as 1795 Laban Wright, is his brother, and that they have a brother named John. It also implies that Laban’s father is dead, which also supports the notion that 1819

Reuben Wright is also Reuben Wright, Jr., of the 1787 Brunswick Co., Va., Tax List.

11. The timing of Laban Wright’s appearance in the tax lists suggests a birth year of about 1771, which would make him about 25 years old when he died. As noted

previously, 1819 Reuben Wright’s birth year can be estimated to about 1765, which is consistent with the idea that they are brothers. In Reuben’s first appearance as

head of household in the upper district of Brunswick Co., Va., 1789, he was taxed for three polls, himself, and perhaps his brothers, John and Laban. This, in turn,

would suggest a birth year for 1788 Reuben Wright of “before 1744” and probably before 1740.

DianeEthridge51 (View posts)
Posted: 1 Feb 2003 1:02AM GMT
Edited: 5 May 2003 4:53AM GMT
Wow! You've really done your homework. I just wish that one of these Reubens was mine but it doesn't look like any of them were b in 1759. I was at the gen room at our local library (which is very good) yesterday & I found a James Wright of B Co. who had a son who was b 1759 so I'm trying to follow up on that one. This guy has given me the "run around" for 5 years now & I'd love to pin him down once & for all. Do you know where the Wrights in this area came from prior to VA? Or when they got there? Thanks so much for posting this info.

PhillipBarr42 (View posts)
Posted: 18 Sep 2003 4:41PM GMT
Edited: 23 Sep 2003 10:58PM GMT
Surnames: willingham, Wright
ever heard of a Mary (Wright) Willingham, (husband John 1683-1752 d. lunenburg county),

appreciate your time
Phillip

DianeEthridge28 (View posts)
Posted: 18 Sep 2003 8:13PM GMT
Edited: 15 Aug 2004 2:59AM GMT
Looks like James Wright (b 1729 d 1793) was father of my Reuben. Other children of James were: Josiah, Merritt, Labran, Tabitha, Temperance, Elizabeth & Dicey Ann (who marr a Letbetter). Reuben went on to Henry Co. IN about 1820 but some of his siblings went to Greene Co. OH. Some good Wright info can be found at the "Greene Room" at Greene Co. Public Lib. "Union Neighborhood" by Elam.

lwrightjax (View posts)
Posted: 19 Sep 2003 9:49PM GMT
I have not found any Willingham references in the data I abstracted, but it was not a name that I had marked. My analysis of Lunenburg Co., VA, Wrights really begins with John Wright of Stoney Creek, who moved into the area about the time your man died, so I doubt there is a connection. Sorry.

Barb Couts Evans (View posts)
Posted: 20 Sep 2003 5:23PM GMT
Surnames: WRIGHT, COUTS, COLLINS, CALDWELL, STARK
I am also looking for the Wrights of Lawranceville, Brunswick Co. Va, except one generation back. I'm searching for the father and mother of Sarah Wright Couts Collins (b. 1760 d. Jan. 29, 1813 near Bowling Green), her sister Rebecca(probably married a Pearson and lived in MO), and supposed brothers John, Joseph, and William. They were found in early KY before the Rev. War. Probably born circa 1760 and moved from Brunswick Co. to KY, soon after that timeframe. Would appreciate any info...Coutsfamily.com

cheryl (View posts)
Posted: 21 Sep 2003 12:16AM GMT
Does your Wright family have a Margaret E. I am looking for her and all I know is that she was born somewhere in VA in the 1820s. Hoping to find her parents or siblings. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Cheryl
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions