Search for content in message boards

Obed Kilgore

Obed Kilgore

James R. Markle (View posts)
Posted: 31 Jan 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: CUSICK, KILGORE
Seeking parents of both Obed Kilgore b 1771 PA d 1853 Delaware Co, IN & wife m before 1804 prob Harrison Co, KY Rebecca Cusick d 1843 Franklin Co, IN.

Also seeking siblings and all children of this couple only known child is David b 3 Apr 1804 Harrison Co, KY d 23 Jan 1879 Delaware Co, IN was a Whig Civil War Congressman and Judge. Have some descendants but some of his siblings are supposed to be James, John, and Jesse. There are females living with Obed in 1850 census Franklin Co, IN who may be daughters or daughters-in-law.

Re: Obed Kilgore

RRiddle8835 (View posts)
Posted: 12 Aug 2001 2:07AM GMT
Edited: 3 May 2005 1:23AM GMT
Obed Kilgore is buried in Mt. Plesant cemetary in Delware County, IN. Rebecca Cusick is buried in the Harvey cemetery, on the Anspach Farm. east of Blooming Gorve, Franklin, County In.
Obed Kilgore had an extended family. Judge David Kilgore b. 4-3-1804 d 1-23-1879 and is buried in Mt. Plesant Cemetary, Judge David Kilgore married Mary G. Van Matre (Meter) in Delware Co. In. . Mary G. Van Matre is the daughter of Tabby Harris and Absalom Vanmatre from Clinton co, Ohio. Ohter children of Obed and Rebecca would be Alfred Kilgore , no date, buried in Pendleton, In. Martha "Patsy" Kilgore Fletcher, b. 1-2-1796 d. 10-1-1876 she is buried with her mother on the Anspach Farm, and so is her brother James B. Kilgore b. 3-5-1802 d. 6-8-1862.
My line goes through Judge David Kilgore and Mary G. Van Martre, to their children.
Capt. Alfred Kilgore, Obed Kilgore, Dr. Tecumseh Kilgore, Capt. David K.ilgore, James Kilgore , Absolom Kilgore, Henry C. Kilgore . I do have info on all of these people.
My line continues from Capt. David Kilgore b. 6-27-41 d. 1917. He married Sara Oliver Saunders. b.1-8-46 d.9-6-1909 lived in Anderson, Ind. Burided in Maple Wood Cemetery. Capt. David and Saral had Charles, Franklin, Obed, Dr. Byron, Alfred, Katie, and Mary Orlena Kilgore Nelson.
My line goes on with Dr. Byron Kilgore (b. 2-13-1882 d. 8-29-1959) and Dorothea Striebeck .
I donot know of any Jesse, although I have seen the name on lists, there is no Jesse in the family history that I have researched.
I am looking for Obed's Parents too maybe Oliver, Hugh???

merry68 (View posts)
Posted: 29 Sep 2001 2:29AM GMT
Edited: 2 Oct 2001 2:07AM GMT
Surnames: Van Matre
Do you have any information about the children of Tabitha Harris and Absalom VanMatre? I have been trying to research Joseph Van Matre who was married to Martha Ann Williamson in Delaware County, Indiana and think he might have been a brother to Mary G. Van Matre Kilgore but don't know.

RRiddle8835 (View posts)
Posted: 24 Nov 2001 1:51AM GMT
What are the dates for the Joseph Van Martre and and Mary Ann Williamson?
Absolam VanMatre and Tabitha Harris were married in Maysville, Ky. Lived for a time in Clinton Co. Ohio. Absolam was a justice of the peace as of 1818 in Clinton Co. Ohio. Do not have his death date. Tabitha Harris Van Martre and Mary G Van Matre show up in Delware Co. Tabitha was a widow of Absolam Van Matre then she marries a Joseph Van Matre, owner of the Blue Ball Tavern ( Mt. Plesant township, Deleware Co. near Yorktown, Ind. In The book Tenmile County and Its Pioneer Families, a Genealogical Hisrory of the Upper Monongahela Valley by Howard L. Leckey you will find a great deal on the Van Matre families.

Mary Deeds (View posts)
Posted: 28 Nov 2001 4:00PM GMT
Thank you for your reply. My Joseph Van Matre was born about 1823 in Delaware County. He married Martha Ann Williamson in the Mount Pleasant Church on October 2, 1845. I have been unable to determine who his parents were but he did have a son that he named Absalom, so I am inclined to believe my Joseph was the son of Absalom and Tabitha Harris, but I have nothing to verify this - it's strictly a guess. Also, Absalom and wife (I assume, Tabitha) were members of this Mount Pleasant Church. This is the only information I have on Absalom and Tabitha.

Absolom VanMeter/ Tabitha Van Matre

RRiddle8835 (View posts)
Posted: 16 Mar 2002 9:48PM GMT
Classification: Biography
VanMatre's In Delaware County, Indiana
Absolom Vanmeter b. harrison Co. Kentucky. date ?
Executor of his father's will .
Wounded in the War of 1812.
Married Tabitha(Tabbatha/Tabatha,Tabby) Harris 11-3-1803 in Mason Co. Ky.

From Clinton co. Ohio moved to Fayette co. Indiana/or Ohio.
A Joseph VanMeter and Abraham Van Meter entered land in Fayette co. IN in 1814-1816.

Absolom's death?

Children: of Absolom Vanmeter and Tabaitha Harris
Martha A. M Joseph Vance in 1842, Delaware Co. IN
Mayr G. VanMatre b. 1819m Judge David Kilgore, Mt. Pleasant Twp, Delaware Co. IN. when sh was 16.

Re: Kilgore/VanMatre

RRiddle8835 (View posts)
Posted: 16 Mar 2002 10:17PM GMT
I am not sure if this info got on the message board.
The Children of Absolom VanMeter and Tabitha Harris VanMatre
were: Martha A. married Joseph Vance 1824 Delaware Co. IN
Mary G Van Matre b. 1819 m Judge David Kilgore, at 16.
Absolom VanMatre m. Chairty Reed in Delaware Co. In.
Interesting to note the change of Vanmeter to VanMatre
I still do not know if there were children by Tabitha after she married Joseph. Joseph may have already had children of his own.

Re: Absolom VanMeter/ Tabitha Van Matre

Mary Deeds (View posts)
Posted: 19 Mar 2002 2:28PM GMT
Thank you for your message. I'm trying to find out if there were other children of Absolom and Tabitha. I am looking for the parents of Joseph C. Van Matre, born approx. 1823 in Delaware County. Joseph C. and his wife had a son whom they named Absolom. I had received a message from someone else that Absolom was a name that was only found in one branch of the Van Matre family but I cannot confirm this. Who was Absolom's father? Thanks for any further information that you may have.

Re: Kilgore/VanMatre

Mary (View posts)
Posted: 19 Mar 2002 2:43PM GMT
I replyed to your other message before I read this one. In my Joseph C. Van Matre's obituary it listed a nephew, George W. Van Matre and in the 1870 census I found a Lorintha Kilgore living with George W. There has to be a connection some way between Mary G. who married David Kilgore and my Joseph C. but I don't know what it is. I had in my notes that Joseph and Tabitha had married in 1830 instead of 1803 so I had discounted that Joseph as being the father and Tabitha as being the mother of my Joseph but now I'm beginning to think that they may have been his parents. If you have any further info, please let me know. Thanks so much.

Re: Absolom VanMeter/ Tabitha Van Matre

RRiddle8835 (View posts)
Posted: 10 Jul 2002 11:13PM GMT
Absolom Vanmeter(VanMatre) was the third son of Joseph and Elizabeth(Aiken Vanmeter

Henry and Martha Vanmeter had 13 children. She out-lived her husband by 22 years. 13 children and a number of grandchildren are named in Henry's will filed for probate in Green County,PA on Feb. 10,1803.
In the will there is a mistake that names a son Abraham, which should have be "Absolom" .
Henry and Martha Vanmeter.
1, Son Joseph Vanmeter m.. Elizabeth (Aiken)Vanmeter
Their children were
a. Joab Vanmeter, mentioned in grandfather's will
b. Henry Vanmeter, mentioned in grandfather's will
c. Absolom Vanmeter, mentioned in grandfather's will.
m. Tabitha Harris of Clinton Co. Ohio, married in Maysville, Ky April 13, 1803.
Absolom Vanmeter was a Justice of the Peace in Clinton, Co. Ohio

2.Son Jesse Vanmeter m Nancy (Seals)Vanmeter
3. Rachel Vanmeter
4. Absolom Vanmeter, m. his cousin Priscilla(Vanmeter) in Berkley Co. VA
Their children were:
a. Rezin Vanmeter m. Mary Peck
b. Absolom Vanmeter, Jr. born in Greene co, PA in 1794. m. Sarah Peck
c. Patsie Vanmeter, m. John M. Swallow.
5-13 not listed here.
There are more children, but only the Absolom's listed as far as I can tell.

There are plenty of Vanmeters in Ohio, Indiana, and Illionis. Vanmeters were beginning to buy land in Illionis after the War of 1812.

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions