Search for content in message boards

RC church records

RC church records

ecschroeder0401 (View posts)
Posted: 16 Jan 2012 6:54PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am trying to pin down my McGinnis ancestors who emigrated from Clare in the 1840's. There are some listed (various spellings)in the Tithe Applotment records and I would like to search the appropriate church records for baptisms and marriages. How can I find out what Catholic parish they would have been part of in the early 1800's? The townlands are Lackarunoe in the civil parish of Feakle, Iragh in Killuran, Ballyhenon in Quin, and Aughnish in Oughtmama.
Appreciate any help.

Re: RC church records

shanew147 (View posts)
Posted: 17 Jan 2012 1:16PM GMT
You might be a little too early for rural RC records - many dont start until the 1830s

>Lackarunoe in the civil parish of Feakle,
RC parish is also called Feakle, baptism and marriage records available from 1842

>Iragh in Killuran,
RC Parish of O'Callaghans Mills covered Killuran and Clonlea civil parishes. Records available back to 1835.

>Ballyhenon in Quin
RC parish also named Quin, has baptism records back to 1815, marriage back to 1833

>Aughnish in Oughtmama
RC parish was Beagh, and has baptisms back to 1851, marriage to 1849

Shane

ecschroeder0401 (View posts)
Posted: 17 Jan 2012 8:14PM GMT
Shane,

Thank you so much! This is exactly what I was looking for. Now I have to see if the Family History Library in Salt Lake has those records or if our reaearch will have to wait for a trip to Dublin and the National Library of Ireland. My sister and I would love to make that trip!

Beth
Salida, Colorado

LouGageJr (View posts)
Posted: 18 Jan 2012 1:21PM GMT
No need to travel to Ireland. Although I did the Clare Libary on line has most if not all the information on line. Google Clare Lib. It is a free service run out of Ennis. Most of what I found has been generally sourced from this service. Information is free, clear, and staff is excellent. They have a parish map on line. Helped me make my trip to County Clare a great sucess. Even met a unknown cousin. Lou Gage
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions