Search for content in message boards

McKENZIE of Inver Assynt & Ullapool (1800s)

McKENZIE of Inver Assynt & Ullapool (1800s)

Joan H. Mason (View posts)
Posted: 14 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 24 Feb 2005 12:29AM GMT
Surnames: McKenzie, MacKenzie
I am looking for ancestors of Roderick MacKenzie (later in life spelt his name McKenzie), born about 1772 in Scotland, joined North West Company in Canada in late 1700s as a clerk. He had twelve children with his Ojibwa wife Angelique and died in Red River in 1859. My only clue to his parents and birthplace is from an order he placed for a gravestone to be erected in the church or chapel yard of Inver Assynt with the following inscription: "Sacred to the memory of Mr. Alexander McKenzie of Ullapool, who died 12th day of March 1802. His son Roderick McKenzie, a Chief Factor of the Honourable Hudson's Bay Company in North America, in fifial affection errected this tablet Anno Domini 1834". If you have any information on this family, I would appreciate hearing from you. I would happily share any information I have gleaned on his descendants.
Joan Mason

Roderick McKENZIE: 1790s+ Hudson's Bay Co (Canada)

Joan H. Mason (View posts)
Posted: 15 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 24 Feb 2005 12:32AM GMT
Surnames: MacKenzie, McKenzie, McLeod, Graves, Sutherland, Flett
What a wonderful surprise to see a message in reply to my posting the very next morning! Thank you. I do not have an exact date for his emigration. I know that he was employed by the North West Company in the 1790's and was a clerk in Nipigon District by 1804. According to their grandchildren, Roderick abducted Angelique around 1803. This is however unlikely and the marriage was probably a typical one "a la facon du pays". They were married according to Christian rites nearly 40 years later and lived together 56 years. Their children were Roderick Jr., Benjamin, Nancy, Catherine, Samuel, Mary, Margaret, Ferdinand, Patrick, Jane, Alexander, and James. There were at least 3 other Roderick McKenzie's involved in the fur trade about the same time. These include:
1. Hon. Roderick Mckenzie(often referred to as of Terrebonne where he lived in later life), a cousin of Sir Alexander MacKenzie (the explorer), born about 1761 near Inverness, joined the fur trade in the service of Gregory-McLeod, then the NWC, serving in Athabaska.
2. Roderick Mckenzie, son of Daniel McKenzie and Margaret Graves, born. about 1798 in the Northwest territories, joined NWC 1815
3. Roderick McKenzie "Jr." born in 1791, Gaerloch, Rosshire, joined HBC in 1811, married Sarah Sutherland, dau. of James Sutherland and Jane Flett, Mar. 20, 1823, died Jan. 10, 1830 Portneuf, Lower Canada.
To add confusion, "my" Roderick's daughter Jane married a Roderick McKenzie. I haven't sorted out which one.
Also, I believe that there may have been some familial relationship between "my" Roderick and the Hon. Roderick as the latter assisted in the education of the former's children. However, this may have been only due to a close working relationship and consequent friendship.

I hope I haven't rambled on too long and that the above is useful in helping pin down which Roderick. I am delighted to hear that the stone is still extant. Ironically, neither Roderick's or Angelique's grave is now marked. Thanks again.

Questions re: Roderick McKENZIE

Malcolm Bangor-Jones (View posts)
Posted: 15 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 24 Feb 2005 12:30AM GMT
Surnames: McKenzie
This stone caught my eye when wandering through the graveyard at Lochinver. Having rumaged through the records for Assynt and Lochbroom, I should be able to provide some context if nothing else. Do you happen to know exactly when Roderick emigrated? This might help eliminate some possibles. Also, the names of his children.
Malcolm Bangor-Jones

Connection to MacKENZIE at Ullapool

Mary J Mackenzie (View posts)
Posted: 1 Aug 2001 7:02PM GMT
Edited: 24 Feb 2005 12:33AM GMT
Surnames: MacKenzie
Dear Joan
I'll definitely ahve to call my father, but I believe his father was originally from the Ullapool area, or slightly south. His father was a Roderick MacKenzie(beginning to sound like John Smith at hotels) b approx 1889 - 1882 & moved to Harris. Most of the family tree info I have is post with the MacKenzie resource centre listed on this site. My e-mail address has been given with this reply, but if you don't have access, please let me know & I'' post it in the message area if you are interested in pursuing this discussion. I believe two of his aunts are still living in an old age home on the mainland in Ullapool or immediate area.

Re: McKenzie, Inver Assynt, Ullapool

Jeanette Bonnici (nee Henderson) (View posts)
Posted: 27 Jun 2002 2:32AM GMT
Dear Joan,

I don't want to put you off, but I think 'Roderick McKenzies' from Assynt (in Sutherlandshire), & nearby Ullapool (in Lochbroom), are in very plentiful supply, I'm afraid!!!

My great great grandfather, Alexander McDonald, was from Lochbroom. His parents were Murdoch McDonald & Jane McKenzie. Alexander married a lassie from Assynt.

One of Alexander's brothers, Kenneth McDonald, married Isabella McKenzie......Isabella's parents were Ann McLeod & RODERICK McKenzie!!!

We were lucky enough to visit the area in June 2000. We visited many graveyards, but even now, amongst the living, if your name isn't McDonald, McKenzie, or McLeod, you are most probably a tourist!!! :)

Good luck in your research!!!

Regards,

Jeanette Bonnici ( nee Henderson) Sydney NSW Australia

Re: McKenzie, Inver Assynt, Ullapool-Thanks Jeanette

Joan Mason (View posts)
Posted: 29 Jun 2002 2:59AM GMT
Dear Jeanette
Thanks very much for your reply to my posting. I have not yet been able to visit Assynt, but hope to in the coming year. I realize that it will be quite a challenge finding "my" Roderick McKenzie. I have tried searching the IGI and have found dozens, but unfortunately most of the records do not go back far enough. I have not tried the Scottish Origins site yet, but plan to do so. Roderick came to Canada and worked in the fur trade for close to 50 years. There were at least five other Roderick McKenzies in the fur trade. Indeed one of his daughters married a man also named Roderick McKenzie!

Good luck with your genealogical research
Joan

Another Roderick MacKENZIE: bn 1800 Assynt, died Quebec, Canada

Elsie Radford (View posts)
Posted: 5 Jan 2005 8:38PM GMT
Edited: 24 Feb 2005 12:34AM GMT
Surnames: MacKenzie, Robertson
Hi Joan, I'm not sure but I have a roderick in my tree born 1800 , in Assynt ,Sutherlandshire S. died in Melbourne , Querbec Canada. His father was Donald and his mother Catherine Robertson ,if my information is correct.They had 8 children Roderick the youngest.Would love to know if they are the same. thank you Elsie

Roderick McKENZIE: bn c1772 > c1791+ Fur Trader in Canada

Joan Mason (View posts)
Posted: 20 Jan 2005 5:48PM GMT
Edited: 24 Feb 2005 12:36AM GMT
Elsie, I am quite certain they are not the same. My Roderick MCKENZIE was born about 1772 and entered the fur trade in Montreal around 1791 or so. His father was Alexander McKenzie, who died in Ullapool in 1802. There were at least five Roderick McKenzies in the fur trade around this time, including one who married my Roderick's daughter Jane. Thanks for contacting me.
Joan

Re: Another Roderick MacKENZIE: bn 1800 Assynt, died Quebec, Canada

cotestgeorge (View posts)
Posted: 22 Mar 2006 8:51PM GMT
There is a connection with the Hon Roderick MK of Terrebonne. Donald MacKenzie & Catherine Robertson had 2 sons. (If you have other siblings, I'd love to see the information). Alexander 1784-1841 married Alexandrina MacKenzie, a sister of Hon Roderick. His brother, Roderick 1790-1858, married Ann MacKenzie (parents unknown) and had 11 children. Two of these children, Ann Jane and Kenneth, married two MacKenzies from Glen Sandfield Ontario, James & Margaret.

James & Margaret were from a family of 11 children of Kenneth MacKenzie and his 2nd wife, Catherine Fraser. This Kenneth was the son of John MacKenzie, a brother of Hon. Roderick.

Please write if this looks familiar to you.

Re: McKENZIE of Inver Assynt & Ullapool (1800s)

charle99kalamazoo (View posts)
Posted: 3 Aug 2010 6:06AM GMT
Classification: Cemetery
Read your comment. We passed through a cemetery tonight and located a lot of Red River settlers. Roderick McKenzie was on one of the tombestones. I will be taking pictures within the next few weeks and will gladly take one of Roderick's.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions