Search for content in message boards

Baker, Joseph

Baker, Joseph

ckm_1 (View posts)
Posted: 10 Jan 2002 10:23PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 24 Jan 2002 2:57PM GMT
Surnames: Baker
I am looking for any information regarding a Joseph Baker, born Abt. 1808 and lived in Botetourt County, Virginia. Married to Eliza ?. Children were Joseph b. 5-4-1843, Samuel b. Abt. 1829, Mary b. Abt. 1831, Margaret b. Abt. 1832, John L. b. Abt. 1835, William b. Abt. 1837, James b. Abt. 1842, George b. Abt. 1844, and Addison b. Abt. 1849.

Joseph, Jr. migrated to Missouri after serving in the 18th Iowa during the Civil War. Any information appreciated.

Re: Baker, Joseph

Merrie Morrison (View posts)
Posted: 7 Sep 2003 10:14AM GMT
Surnames: Baker, Trent, Gross
Chris,
Sorry I don't have info on your Joseph but I think we might be searching for the same info.
I am searching for Samuel Baker who married Betsey Trent n 1796 (Bedford Co., VA) They had son, Elijah who married Nancy Gross in 1819 (Bedford Co., VA). However, Sam is listed in the 1810 Botetourt Co. census and both Sam & Elijah are listed in the 1820 Botetourt Co., census. Maybe, your Joseph is brother to my Elijah?
There is also a Robert & Henry Baker listed in the 1810 Botetourt Co., VA census which would put them at the right ages for Sam's dad.

ChrisMcCune31 (View posts)
Posted: 20 Sep 2003 10:52PM GMT
Edited: 28 Jun 2004 8:43PM GMT
Surnames: Baker
Hi - We are probably looking around at the same family. I don't have any record, however, of my Bakers in Botetourt County until the 1830 census. There was a Joseph Baker, Sr. listed who would have been born between 1770 and 1780. Joseph Baker, Jr., born 1808 and his children. However, I came across some information from a book about Botetourt County, Virginia regarding Henry Baker, born 1777 married to Susan? Their children were listed as follows:
Christian, born 1796 married Catherine born 1810.
Henry, born 1799 married Elizabeth born 1803.
Joseph born 1808 married Eliza (This is the one I question since there was a Joseph Baker, Sr. on my census that I assumed was Joseph Baker, Jr.'s father).
Josiah, born 1814 married Emmaline, born 1820.
Samuel, born 1810 married Anna born 1810.
William, born 1814.
I don't know if any of that gives you any direction to look or not. Would appreciate sharing info regarding Botetourt County Bakers that we come up with. Best Wishes - Chris

Chauna (View posts)
Posted: 20 Jun 2005 4:26AM GMT
Surnames: Baker,Wood,Caufield
I have a Joseph Baker b 1815 Va (unknown where in Va)
Listed in the 1860 Cedar County Mo Census.
Wife Julia A
Elijah 18 b Al (Farm Laborer)
Rebecka Z or J 16 b Tn
* Joseph A 14 b Tn
Wm B 10 b Tn
Nancy M 7 b Tn
Eliza C 5 b Mo
Rufus ? 4 b Mo
James M 6/12 Mo
* Joseph A married Louisa Simmons
0ne child that I know of Marshal b 01 Sep 1870 Mo.
Does any of this fit into your line? If so please advise .

ckm126 (View posts)
Posted: 21 Jun 2005 11:13PM GMT
Edited: 6 Jun 2006 3:28PM GMT
Surnames: Baker, Lavell
Unfortunately that doesn't match my Bakers. The family I am researching settled in Sullivan and Macon Counties in Missouri. Thanks for the reply.

janswart2000 (View posts)
Posted: 8 Sep 2012 9:06PM GMT
Surnames: Baker/Ferrall/
Hi Merrie...your posting was back in 2003. Hope you are still around on this site. I happened to see this posting I am responding to.
Regarding the Samuel Baker who married Betsey Trent in 1796 in Bedford County, VA? Samuel Baker's parents were:

SAMUEL BAKER, JR(SAMUEL, CALEB, ROBERT) b. Abt. 1745. and married MARY HODNETT BAKER; lived in Bedford County Va. d 24 Jan 1826 in Botetourt County VA; Mary Hodnett Baker was b 1750 Buckingham Co, VA. Mary Hodnett Baker lived in Buckingham County, VA in 1827 She died in Wilson County, TN after 1830.
Note: This elder Samuel Baker was a brother to my Glover Baker who married Mary Ferrall in Bedford County, Virginia on 19 May 1779 in Bedford County, Virginia, daughter of WILLIAM FERRALL and MARTHA COX.

Other siblings of the Samuel Baker woo married Betsy Trent are:
1. ABSALOM BAKER who married Elliner "Nellie" Mccoy in 1803in Bedford County,VA. November 1803, Absalom Baker died February of 1809 Bedford County, VA. (My Glover Baker was surety for this marriage.)
2. HENRY BAKER, who m. REBECCA PREAS, 20 Mar 1799, Bedford County, VA;
3. ELIZABETH (BETSY) BAKER, m. JOSEPH JACKSON JARRED, b 1773 Bedford County, VA.m-1805; d 14 Dec 1836 Joseph d 1835 Jackson, Tennessee;
4. ABRAHAM (ABRAM) BAKER b 1774 VA died at Bonsack Bedford Co VA on 17 - Oct - 1863 m.25 Apr 1808 LEVICY JANE MCCOY BURNETT. She was b- Mar 1783 d-22 Oct 1855 Bedford County, VA;
5 . MARY "POLLY" BAKER, b 1789 VA d 15 Nov 1830 Wilson Co. TN m. JAMES WILLIAMS 4 Dec 1823 Jackson, Madison County, TN She was his second wife. His first wife was Ruth Thompson m 1796 Orange Co. NC. M-3 Jane Walden 19 Jan 1832 Wilson Co TN
6. NANCY BAKER, m. JAMES F.MELTON AMYX, m - 24 Apr 1804, Bedford County, VA. James d 1816; Nancy d 18 Jul 1852; Morgan County, KY
7. JOHN BAKER, m. ELIZABETH UNKNOWN

Re: Baker, Joseph/Absolom Baker

KesslerWV (View posts)
Posted: 9 Sep 2012 1:22PM GMT
Edited: 9 Sep 2012 1:24PM GMT
Hello,
The names in your message are so close that I wanted to write and ask if you had any information on Absolom Dempsy Baker b. ca 1833 Botetourt Co., VA son of Samuel and Ann Baker. Absolom married 1860 Mary Ann Backhouse b. 21 Jun 1843 Nicholas Co., VA (now WV) d. 22 Jun 1913 Vaughn, Nicholas Co., WV daughter of Joseph Backhouse Jr 1804-ca 1879 and Sarah Brown 1809-.

There was an Absalom Cornelius Dempsey 1787-1872. In 1821 he was ordained to the ministry and pastored a Baptist Church in Botetourt Co., VA. I find many ancestors named after him.
Thank you,
Karen Kessler Cottrill
WV Kessler/Kesler Family Historian

Re: Baker, Joseph/Absolom Baker

Posted: 9 Sep 2012 5:36PM GMT
Hi Karen,
This is Baker researcher Jan Swart again. I have not researched this information directly since it's not my direct line but do show in my notes that Absalom Dempsey Baker was the great grandson of Samuel Baker and Mary Hodnett Baker of Bedford County, Virginia.(my Glover Baker's brother, who also lived in Bedford County, VA).
A son of Samuel Baker and Mary Hodnett Baker then was Samuel Baker who married Betsy Trent. Their children were Elijah, Sydney, Susanna, Lucy Ann, Ann, James A. and **Samuel Baker-who married Anna Vance/Lance?-d WV.
Samuel and Anna's children were: Peter, *Absalom Dempsey, Michael, John Samuel, Robert, Lewis, Moses, Wm Hoff Baker, Samuel, Sarah J.

Absalom Dempsey Baker seems to have been a farmer in Nicholas County. W.V. He was in the Civil War as a private in the year 1864. According to a piece written in Nicholas County his brother Robert was in the Confederate Army. It looks to me that John, Lewis, Robert and Michael might have all been in the Confederate Army in the 22nd Infantry Virginia.
Absalom Dempsey Baker married Mary Backhouse as you say.
Their children are Livania (Ramsey), Levi N, Ocala, Alferd, Alice and John G. Baker.
I do have a small picture of Absalom Dempsey Baker if you are interested in seeing it, please contact me by e-mail and I will forward it.
janswart2000@yahoo.com
Note: As far as I know Absalom Cornelius Dempsey, the preacher,is not a relative but Absalom Dempsey Baker seems to be named after him, doesn't he?

Re: Baker, Joseph/Absolom Baker Correction

Posted: 17 Jan 2013 12:14PM GMT
Correction: Absalom Dempsey Baker and Moses J. Baker were brothers. They do not appear by DNA to be great-grandsons of Samuel Baker and Mary Hodnett of Bedford County. Absalom and Moses appear to be related to the William Baker group on Bakernet.dna. I still think Samuel Baker and Mary Hodnett are related to the gunsmith Baker group #4. Not sure who Samuel, the son of Samuel Baker and Betsy Trent, married. DNA results in the future will sort out this family. Jan
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions