Search for content in message boards

Hamiltons of Amherst Co. Virginia

Hamiltons of Amherst Co. Virginia

Gordonsgoats (View posts)
Posted: 16 Aug 2001 12:42AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 11 Feb 2002 3:46AM GMT
Surnames: Hamilton
I am looking for information on Matthew Hamilton, born about 1820 in Amherst Co. He married Elizabeth Lawman. Childrens names were Matthew Jr.(Recorded as Nathan in 1850 census). Sophia, (looks like Johnie in the 1850 census), Margaret,Bettie,Nancy,James,Amelia,Easter or Esther,Robert,Lucy,Job,William (Bill), and Reuben (Ruby). An information would be geatly appreciated. Thanks Thelma < Gordonasgoats@cs.com>

Re: Hamiltons of Amherst Co. Virginia

alice lawhorne lilley (View posts)
Posted: 6 Nov 2001 4:38PM GMT
Have you tried the Hambleton spelling? I found quite a few of those who married into my father's family. I was looking for Hamilton also!

Gordonsgoats (View posts)
Posted: 6 Nov 2001 11:52PM GMT
Edited: 11 Feb 2002 3:46AM GMT
Surnames: Hamilton
Yes, I have tried both spellings, in fact I found that our Hamilton spelling changed about 1800. Half of Robert HamiBlton's children had Hamilton listed as the last name, the other half had Hamiblton as their last name. Thank you for your help. Good luck with your Hamilton's!

littlewolf Griffith (View posts)
Posted: 7 Nov 2001 2:44PM GMT
Surnames: Hamilton,Johns, Griffith, Anderson,Moss Dawson, Worsham and many more.
Matthew Hamilton is in my family line, I am the granddaughter of Oscar Brent Hamilton. the son of Brock Hamilton the son of Lewis Hamilton all of Amherst Co. VA. and the Peddlers Dam and Court House areas.
Would be happy to share information.

Friend,
Littlewolf

gordonsgoats1 (View posts)
Posted: 11 Feb 2002 3:18PM GMT
Edited: 12 Feb 2002 1:08AM GMT
Surnames: Hamilton,Lawman,Rippetoe,Lawhorn
The Matthew Hamilton that is in my line of Hamiltons father is Robert HamBlton born about 1765 in Amerherst Co. Va. married Nancy Rippetoe born about 1785 in Amherst Co. Va. Matthew Hamilton married Elizabeth Lawman and they had 13 children, my ggfather being the last child to be born. Reuben "Ruby" Hamilton born 1875 in Amherst Co. Va. he married Ella Jane Lawhorn born 1876 in Rockbridge Co. Va. If any of these name are in your line of Hamiltons I would appreciate any information. E-Mail is Gordonsgoats@cs.com

alice lawhorne lilley (View posts)
Posted: 10 Apr 2002 7:10PM GMT
I believe we may be related - although distantly -. We certainly have some common relatives!

My father's great-grandparents were Jesses Clements and Mary Martin. Their daughter, Frances was my dad's grandmother. Her brother Abraham married Rebecca Hambleton (Hamilton) daughter of Robert Hambleton and Nancy Rippetoe. Their child, Missouri was the mother of Charlie Clements who married my Uncle Jim's daughter Jessie.

Isabella, sister of Abraham and Frances, married Robert Hambleton and had a child, Lewis. Robert died from an illness contracted during the Missouri wagon train journey and Isabella returned to live with her mother,Mary Clements. Lewis is listed as a Clements in that household in the 1850 census! Brock also appears somewhere in there!

Another sister in that family Nancy Jane Clements, married James Preston Hambleton. I believe all these Hambletons (Hamiltons) were siblings.

My dad was a marvelous story teller and the name Oscar Hamilton kept reappearing in this stories but I had not been able to make a connection. I'd love to know what you know about this family and how they might be connected to your family. E-mail address: ocelot77@mindspring.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions