Search for content in message boards

Johnson Family

Johnson Family

Jane Harrell (View posts)
Posted: 23 Jul 2003 12:12AM GMT
Classification: Query
I am looking for information on a Johnson family possibly from Southwold Township in mid 1800'.s. They may have owned property. Children were James H., Annie, Ellan and possibly William. Ellen had a daoughter named Wealthy Wilson who married Clarence Nott. They lived in near Fingal. James married an Alvina Kennedy and Elizabeth Kelley and emigrated to Michigan in late 1800's. Any information on the parents of James, Annie, Ellen would be most welcome.

Re: Johnson Family

Jim McCallum (View posts)
Posted: 23 Jul 2003 1:35AM GMT
The Elgin County Branch of the Ontario Genealogical Society has indexed all of the Southwold census. I have 1851 and 1861 here at home, but could not identify your Johnson family.
I checked the indexes to the Dutton Advance newspaper, which we have also indexed, and I found the marriage of Clarence R. Nott to Nettie Bell Wilson in the April 15,1920 issue, page 5, col. 1.
These newspapers are on microfilm at the Elgin County Archives, and if you wish a copy of this article, you can contact them at: archivist@elgin-county.on.ca

Hope this helps a bit with your research
Jim McCallum, Chairman, Elgin OGS

Re: Johnson Family

Shawn Johnson (View posts)
Posted: 28 Mar 2010 2:21PM GMT
My gggrandfather was William Johnson born in 1851 in Canada. I'm not sure where but I beleive he came to Michigan around 1875 and married Martha not to long after. They lived in Clifford,MI. If anyone has any info on him please let me know. thank you

Re: William Johnson Family

talbotrail (View posts)
Posted: 28 Mar 2010 8:44PM GMT
Edited: 10 Dec 2011 3:09AM GMT
Surnames: Johnson, Moor ??
Hi,

This should be a new thread, maybe in the Canada> Ontario> General board.....I'm only starting with Ontario because it is next to Michigan.

Johnson is such a common name. I did a search in the 1852 Canadian census in Ontario:

http://automatedgenealogy.com/census52/

Filtered with name "William", born 1851, plus or minus 5 years.

Home / 1852 / Canada West / Kent (county) / 162 Chatham includes the portion s... / p. 15d, 16a, (65) Split view

44 Johnson, Jeremiah Labourer United States Methodist 55 M
45 Johnson, Harriet Canada West Methodist 25 F
46 Johnson, Leonard Canada West Methodist 14 M
47 Johnson, William H Canada West Methodist 3 M
48 Johnson, Mary J Canada West Methodist 1 F

see the original image:
http://data2.collectionscanada.ca/1851_pdf/e095/e002354693.p...

Another search filtered with "Wm".....

Home / 1852 / Canada West / Middlesex (county) / 219 Nissouri (west) township / p. 4d, 5a, (9) Split view

48 Johnson, Benjamin Farmer Ireland Episcopalian 32 M
49 Johnson, Sarah Ireland Episcopalian 25 F
50 Johnson, Wm Canada Episcopalian 1 M

see the original image:

http://data2.collectionscanada.ca/1851_pdf/e095/e002359336.p...

There were many hits. I am only guessing at these families. This area of Ontario is close to the Michigan border. Not all of the 1852 census survived. Their name also could be misspelled (eg. Johnston).......

Another GUESS:

http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~maryc/kent75.htm

Kent Co., 1875
(birth place is given before residence)

3955-75 William JOHNSON, 24, farmer, Ontario, Ypsilanti Mich., s/o Jeremiah & Harriet, married Marthanne MOOR, 22, Indiana US, Chatham twp., d/o William & Sarah, witn: William & Sarah MOOR of Chatham, 19 Dec 1875 at Dresden.

In another post, you mentioned Claud.....

From: http://www.familysearch.org/eng/Search/frameset_search.asp

FamilySearchâ„¢ International Genealogical Index v5.0 North America
Family Group Record

Husband
William Johnson

Birth:
Christening:
Marriage:
Death:
Burial:

Wife
Martha Johnson
Birth:
Christening:
Marriage:
Death:
Burial:

Children

1. Claud Johnson
Male
Birth: 07 MAY 1889 Burlington, , Lapeer, Michigan
Christening:
Death:
Burial:

(IS THIS A MISPRINT ??? OR DID CLAUD HAVE A TWIN ???)

1. Cora Johnson
Female
Birth: 07 MAY 1889 Burlington, , Lapeer, Michigan
Christening:
Death:
Burial:

If you could post any additional info....Martha's maiden name, obituaries, headstone info, Claud's wife, siblings, dates, census data, etc. it would really help.

Posted: 28 Mar 2010 9:18PM GMT
Thank you for all the info. I'm not sure if any of those are my William but I will check into it. Yes Claud did have a twin sister Cora.

This is what I know about William: William Johnson born 1851 in Canada. According to the 1900 census he has lived in the U.S. for 25 years and married to Martha B. Harvey for 23 years.

He and Martha had the twins Claud and Cora born 1889 in Clifford,MI. Clifford or Burlington Twp. is were they lived.

If you can find anything I would appreciate it. I have been ttrying for a while now to find his parents. In the 1900 Census it states that Williams parents were both born in CCanda.

Posted: 28 Mar 2010 11:37PM GMT
Martha was born in Almont,MI I believe her mother was also. Her father Stephen was born in New York. I'm still looking for Williams parents. I don't believe it is Jeremiah.

Posted: 10 Apr 2010 4:19PM GMT
Well I'm pretty sure that the William from Norfolk County is mine!! Thank you Finally!!!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions