Search for content in message boards

Spicer

Spicer

YWRIGHT|MA97745 (View posts)
Posted: 5 May 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 22 Apr 2002 9:44PM GMT
Surnames: SPICER, STRONG, RUSSELL
I'm looking for information about ggrandfather his name was Joseph (Joe) Spicer. Joe lived in Breathitt County and on or in Lick Branch, I don't exactly know what Lick Branch is. Joe was born in 1871 and was married to a Emma Russell which is my ggrandmother. He had 5 children with her and I don't know what happened to her, because the Breathitt Marriages shows Jo & Mary Armina were married in 1906. Some time ago William O'Connor sent me this e-mail in regards to my ggrandfather. Even though Mr. O'Connor refers to Joe as a black man he could have been mistaken as white. He had blonde hair and blue eyes. My question is there any records of slave owning Spicers in Breathitt County? I'm trying to find out who Joe's parents were. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Yvette Wright

When I was a lot younger han I am now, like about 1934, my Grandfather Mike
O'Connor lived on Lick Branch, which is about 3 or four miles from Jackson,
KY. Their next door neighbor was a Joe spicer, who was a black man. His wife
was Mary Armenia Strong and she was an Indian. The 1920 census of Breathitt
County shows 2 sons Roosevelt 19 and Arnold 17.

The 1910 census shows: Joe 38 Armenia 24 Charlie 15 Ed 14 Ollie M. 11
Roosevelt 7 Aginaldo 7. Also living in the same HH was a Sarah Cockburn 30,
Joe's sister
Breathitt Marriages show that Jo & Mary Armina Strong were md in 1906, his
2nd marriage, . The witnesses were Harve & Letch Strong.

I did know Joe & Mary - when I was about 4 or 5 years old. My parents lived
near my grandfather & at that time all of Joe's kids had married & moved
away. We left Lick Branch & moved to Jackson in 1935 & I lost tract of Joe &
Mary at that time.

I do recall that their house was shaded by lots of trees and that they had a
screened in porch which I thought was really great.

Re: Spicer

clarafrye (View posts)
Posted: 1 May 2002 10:09AM GMT
Edited: 1 May 2002 10:22AM GMT
Hello,
My name is Clara Frye. I am the daughter of Lizzie White Strong, who is the daughter of Kitty Spicer White the daughter of Roger Spicer Jr. My mother, Lizzie, was born in Breathitt Co. Ky in 1924. She is still living and of sound mind. She moved from the Whick area to Indiana in 1952. I questioned her on Joseph 'Joe' Spicer. She says she does not know him or of any African/American Spicers. She says this does not mean that 'Joe' did not exist. The case might be that they (her parents) weren't claiming him. Sad to say in that day African/Americans usually were not welcome in that area. In fact, they were usually ran off or worse, according to the stories I've heard through the years. Lizzie also said that both sets of grandparents owned slaves or possibly had share croppers. So, it is highly possible that the name Spicer was given to a slave making them Spicers w/out the bloodline. If anyone has any information on anything about the Spicers I would appriciate it greatly if you would post it.
Waiting to hear from you,
Clara Frye

Clara Frye (View posts)
Posted: 3 May 2002 8:47AM GMT
Surnames: spicer
Lick branch is a place. It is on the road 1110 about 10-15 miles outside of jackson.

Snakent292 (View posts)
Posted: 18 Oct 2012 3:13PM GMT
Surnames: Spicer, Caywood, Clemons
Dear Ms. Frye:

My wife is a 4th or 5th generation descendant of Roger Spicer, Sr. Minerva Spicer was one of Roger Spicer, Sr.'s slaves. She had a son for him named Richard Spicer. He married a Candasie Strong or Hargis and they had a daughter named Cora Spicer. Cora Spicer married Bascom Caywood; they had a daughter named Imogene Caywood. Imogene Caywood is my wife's grandmother, which makes her a relative of yours. She took the DNA test, and the Spicer family was a match to her DNA. Her family tree is the Clemons Family Tree, and she invites you to view the results. There are African-American bloodlines in your family; my wife is 21% Scandinavian, 75% West African and 4% yet to be determined. You, of course, are free to take the DNA test on your own to dispute the findings. Everyone knows, though, that DNA does not lie.

Respectfully,

A Spicer Descendant

cindywxb (View posts)
Posted: 27 Apr 2013 7:20PM GMT
Edited: 27 Apr 2013 7:27PM GMT
Dear Ms. Frye: I am a caucasian female and I have done substantial research on the families that migrated from Wilkes Co., NC to Breathitt Co., KY, to include the Sebastians, Turners, Stampers, Spicers, etc. My DNA is a match with Imogene Caywood's granddaughter and we are now in contact with each other. The line from Imogene to DAR patriot William Spicer is without question. Minerva Spicer was indeed a slave of Roger Spicer and I have analyzed the 1850 and 1860 slave schedules (and non-named persons), and the 1870 and 1880 censuses with Minerva and her children. Several of the children's death certificates list Roger as their father, to include Imogene Caywood's grandfather Richard. Furthermore, it is common knowledge that the Spicers owned slaves. Whether it is a sanitization of truth or not, it is also well known that they were good to their slaves and would not allow them to be mistreated. I cannot attest to that - I was not there and we are viewing 150+ year old history through a 21st century lens. I concur with my cousin's husband. DNA doesn't lie and neither does her paper trail.

ratlifke (View posts)
Posted: 2 Aug 2013 6:40PM GMT
Surnames: Spicer, Strong, Haddix, Turner
I am a direct descendent of Roger Spicer Sr as well, my great grandmother Lucinda "Lucy" Spicer Strong was his granddaughter. I would love to hear more about this side of the family, and have found it goes back to the Sandford's of Shropshire England - has anyone else found this as well?

I am Caucasian and recently had a DNA test show 6% African. I am trying to find out more about this side of the family - we assumed it came from my maternal grandfather. Both my maternal grandparents were from Breathitt Co. KY.

Thank you!

Katy Ratliff Peat

jspencer77 (View posts)
Posted: 20 Nov 2013 1:51AM GMT
Surnames: Spicer, Higgins, Lewis, Cox, Linden, Chambers
I am a genealogist and a writer. I am writing a book titled "The African American Families of Wolfe County Kentucky." Some of these families went to Breathitt County and intermarried with Spicer families. Please contact me if you have any information. jospencer77@gmail.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions