Search for content in message boards

Looking for Lost Irish

Looking for Lost Irish

colemanmasc (View posts)
Posted: 27 Nov 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 23 Jun 2001 8:44PM GMT
Surnames: COLEMAN, FENNELL, McGINN, KELLY, SINNOTT, RICHARDS, O'CONNOR, SULLIVAN, SMITH, MAHONEY, O'BRIEN, DEVINE, CRALL, McCARTY, HEYLAND, AGAN
Seeking info/relatives on my husband's gg grandparents settled Melrose c. 1850 - we have some info after they came to Iowa but would like to trace back and how they got here:
Joseph Coleman m. Bridget Fennell
Peter McGinn m. Bridget Kelly
James Miles Sinnott m. Catherine Richards
John O'Connor m. Catherie (Sullivan?)
James Smith m. Bridget Mahoney
Patrick O'Brien m. Ellen Devine
John Crall m. Ellen McCarty
William Heyland m. Mary Agan

Good Hunting & God Bless!

Irish relatives

jacksonfarms1 (View posts)
Posted: 22 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 25 Jul 2002 10:17PM GMT
Surnames: O'Brien, Mahoney, Devane
I saw you inquery on Monroe Co. Web site.
We are connected. Patrick O'Brien, married Ellen Devane in 1844 in Dingle, Co. Kerry, Ireland. Patrick and Ellen were my ggg-grandparents. Patrick and Ellen had two sons-
Patrick(my line) and Thomas.If you feel we have connections, contact me.

Sinnotts of Monroe Co., IA

moseskis (View posts)
Posted: 27 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 1 Apr 2002 2:25PM GMT
Surnames: Sinnott
Hello!
If you are not corresponding, with a descendant of James Sinnott, let me make a suggestion. Write to Sharon Crall, church secretary, St Patrick's Catholic Church, Georgetown, IA 52531. Sharon would pass a message to the Sinnotts.

I had a family reunion at St. Patrick's Church in Georgetown and I know the Sinnotts are parishioners.

A James Sinnott was an appraiser for my great-grandfather's estate in 1867. A local radio celebrity (Mike Murphy formerly of Ottumwa, IA) here in Kansas City is married to a Nancy or Linda Sinnott from Monroe Co., IA.

Hope this helps.

Mo

lost irish

Jim McGinn (View posts)
Posted: 13 May 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: McGinn, Sinnott

Steve and Marilyn, Hi!

Saw your query posting on the Monroe County URL. Not sure where you are with your search but I have gathered quite a bit of information on Monroe County McGinns. Haven't gone back beyond Peter McGinn who was my gg grandfather. You probably already know that he along with his wife Bridget Kelly are buried in the Weller Cemetery. I have visited County Monaghan and the small village of Scot's House where he lived in Ireland prior to coming to this country. I did meet some McGinns there but wasn't able to take the time to try to connect to our tree. The Peter McGinn grave stone in Weller says that Bridget Kelly came from County Kilkenny. I've visited there as well but have never had the time to research the name. There are a lot of Kellys in Ireland. Not so many McGinns. I know that Sharon Crall has done research on McGinns too but I've not had a chance compare notes with her.

My wife was a Sinnott and her sister Mary Jo Banks has done a good deal of research on her family as well including Catherine Richards. She's presently spending some time in Arizona but I know she would be happy to share what she has with you once she returns. She has given me a floppy with Sinnott info on it but I have not as yet opened it to study. Don't suppose she'd object if I made a copy.

Jim McGinn

Lost Irish

lnep93 (View posts)
Posted: 30 May 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 17 Jan 2002 2:56AM GMT
Surnames: Crall, McCarty, Egan, Heyland
Hi, John Crall, Ellen McCarty, William Heyland, and Mary Egan are ancestors of my husband. I have some places and dates for them but have not researched them as I just received the info from my mother-in-law. If you would like the info that I have, please let me know.
Thanks,
Lisa

Re: Looking for Lost Irish

Theresa_Anderso|MA550335 (View posts)
Posted: 6 Nov 2001 5:15PM GMT
Edited: 25 Jan 2002 6:26PM GMT
I have a Ellen McCarty in my ancestors. She was born in WI in about 1853. Her parents were Denis & Hinora McCarty. A brother Daniel was born in Iowa in about 1860. An another brother, Florence was my ggggrandfather. He & his parents were born in Ireland but I do not know where yet. The family appears on the 1870 Weat Eau Claire WI census. Hope this helps. I do not know anything eles about her.

Re: lost irish

memcgee41 (View posts)
Posted: 20 Nov 2001 3:40AM GMT
Edited: 22 Apr 2004 3:58PM GMT
Surnames: Cullinan Garrity Griffin McGee McGinn Mulstay Pheney Sullivan
Jim - Hi, I'm also a gg grandkid of Peter McGinn (Peter & Bridget -> James McGinn & Elizabeth Mulstay -> Rose McGinn & James Griffin etc.). Unfortunately, I'm stuck at Peter McGinn too, so I don't think I have any info you don't, but would be happy to compare notes and grateful for any info you cared to share.
Also ran into another posting just this weekend (whose email I don't have handy) looking for info on Peter & Bridget's oldest son Patrick's adopted sons. She thought their real names were Alfred & Wilfred but were named James and John after they were adopted. All I have is that Patrick was married to Bridget Cullinan(e) and they adopted James & John. I think she's a descendent of one of them. If you have anything in this area you want to share, I'll pass on email addresses.
Good luck with your research,
Melinda

Re: Looking for Lost Irish

marilyncoleman1 (View posts)
Posted: 14 Apr 2002 4:40PM GMT
Edited: 23 Sep 2002 2:10AM GMT
new email address ... marilyn.coleman@mchsi.com

Re: Lost Irish

wheyland1 (View posts)
Posted: 17 May 2002 4:41PM GMT
Edited: 17 May 2002 5:23PM GMT
Hello Lisa and Marilyn. I too am attempting to trace my relatives back to Ireland. I have found a Richard Heyland that was born in Ireland about 1800 and it would appear he is my great, great, great grandfather. He married Mary in about 1820 in Canada and I am thinking he may be a relative of William. Any info you could supply would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Wayne Heyland

Re: Lost Irish

lisaflattery (View posts)
Posted: 21 May 2002 9:37PM GMT
Edited: 25 Jun 2002 2:47AM GMT
Hi Wayne! Some of the information that I have is William Heyland b. 1843 in County Cork, Ireland he married Mary Egan in Knox County, Illinois and settled in Monroe County, Iowa. William is my husband's ggg-grandfather, I received this information from my husband's mother. We have no other information past William. We can't find where he entered the United States so, we assume he came through Canada. So far, we haven't yet pursued this idea. Any information that you may have would be greatly appreciated and most helpful! I have more information from William and Mary to the current date, if in fact we are related I will gladly exchange information with you.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions