Search for content in message boards

1873 Newspapers

1873 Newspapers

pamtessier (View posts)
Posted: 9 May 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 2 Jul 2001 5:54PM GMT
Surnames: EARLY, KRAMER
Can anyone tell me which newspapers were available in the Raleigh Township area in the 1870's?
I found an entry in St. Joseph's R.C. Church register dated April 22, 1873 recording the burial of Bridget Early, w/o christopher Kramer, with the cause of death shown also. If it was the practise to report unusual deaths, possibly there was an item in the local newspaper.

early newspapers

Kent OGS (View posts)
Posted: 13 May 2001 12:00PM GMT
Probably the newspapers for the County Town of Chatham. The early papers have been indexed for BMD etc. and date from the 1840's. IMO few weekly newspapers exist from the 1870's. But in those early days, sometimes newspapers even as far away as Amherstburg (Amherstburg Echo) carried items pertaining to people of Kent County.

Galarneau/Galarno/Galerno

Peqe (View posts)
Posted: 17 May 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 11 Jun 2003 7:56PM GMT
Surnames: Galarneau, Galarno, Galerno, Gallarno, Brown
My grandmother was a Gallarno. Her family came from Canada.Charles Henry Gallarno born in 1829 married Mary Ann Brown born 1834 from the same area. He came back to Canada to get her and move her to DeKalb county, Illinois. They were married on June 5th, 18956 in Catham, Kent Co. Ontario. His father was David Gallarno born in 1807 in Canada. I would expect that he was from the same area. He married Margaret D. also born in Canada. Their family consisted of George born in 1827; who married Mary Allen in Toronto by Rev. E. Swallow. The Christian Guardian says they were both from Harwich. George enlisged in the Union Army in Feb. 1864 and died Sept. 1864 of typhoid fever. They also had Charles. I would appreciate any information on my family you can give me. Thank you.

Re: Galarneau/Galarno/Galerno

TracyKrebs (View posts)
Posted: 16 Aug 2001 2:31PM GMT
Edited: 17 Aug 2004 12:59AM GMT
Surnames: Galarneau
My wife is searching for a Charles Galarneau. He had a daughter named Mildred Elizabeth who was born in Carson City,Nevada 7 Dec, 1874. All we know is that her father's name was Charles. Any connection?

Peqe (View posts)
Posted: 16 Aug 2001 6:20PM GMT
Surnames: Gallarno/Gallarneau
My great grandfather was Charles Gallarno. He had a son also named Charles who was my grandmother's brother. The son did have a daughter named Mildred but she was much younger than the one you mentioned. She was a little younger than my Dad and my Dad was born in 1904. Milly's father, Charles (the younger) got killed in an inter-urban accident near Rockford, Illinois. They lived in that area. My grandmother Belle Gallarno was the daughter of the older Charles who married Mary Ann Brown. They were from Kent county, around Chatham and Harwick, in Ontario. They moved to DeKalb county, Illinois sometime around the American Civil War. I think all the Gallarno/Gallarneaus are related so let me know any links you may find. Charles Sr. had a brother George. Their father was David married to Margaret. Thanks. By the way, the name was Gallarneau in Canada and changed to the Gallarno spelling when the family moved into America.

Kent OGS (View posts)
Posted: 16 Aug 2001 9:02PM GMT
The message says "They were from Kent county, around Chatham and Harwick, in Ontario."

Actually, Hawick is in Roxburghshire, Scotland.

Harwich Township is in Kent County, Ontario.

Les

Peqe (View posts)
Posted: 17 Aug 2001 5:57PM GMT
Surnames: Gallarneau/Galarno
Thank you for correcting me on the name of the town. I appreciate it.

jgalarneau2560 (View posts)
Posted: 21 Aug 2001 6:58PM GMT
hi sharon, your reply has the spelling for gallarneau with two l's, the correct spelling is galarneau.how far back have you traced your lineage ? I only have 4 generations of ancestors for that line, no connection yet to the galarneau tree.
you can email me at jgalarno@idirect.com
regards
jacques galarneau

Gabrial T. Galarno (View posts)
Posted: 18 Apr 2003 6:06PM GMT
Looking for any information in regards to family history and/or lineage to those of relation to Thomas B. Galarno (spoused to Beatrice K. LaClair/Santhony) Both are of French/Canadian decent. Family came from Canada with the name Galarneau and then was changed to the English style "Galarno"

Peqe (View posts)
Posted: 18 Apr 2003 6:36PM GMT
Edited: 22 Jan 2004 6:24PM GMT
Surnames: Galarno, Galarneau
Dear Gabrielle: I certainly wish I could help you. I wish we could help one another. My family also came from Chatham in Kent, ONT. The name was spelled like the French version and changed to Galarno when they moved to the U. S. My great, great, great grandfather was David Galarno. He married Margaret ?. One of his sons was Charles Galarno who was father to my grandmother Belle Galarno. Charles married Mary Ann Brown and they had quite a few children. I do not remember the name Thomas right off hand. We moved in November and all my material on genealogy is packed. My grandmother was the youngest and was born in about 1877. There were many older children. When I can find my genealogy packet. I will look for Themas and let yuou know. Thanks and good luck. Sharon Swisher
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions