Search for content in message boards

Christophe Kohn (possibly a second name of "Kontz"

Christophe Kohn (possibly a second name of "Kontz"

judysmalls (View posts)
Posted: 14 Jun 2010 8:34AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Kohn
He was born in Grostenquin, Moselle, Lorraine, France in 1683. We have his wife's info, but need his parents/her parents to go back further. Any info will be very appreciated.

Re: Christophe Kohn (possibly a second name of "Kontz"

thiesenhusen4 (View posts)
Posted: 8 Aug 2010 8:48AM GMT
Unfortunately, I do not believe that any parish records for Grostenquin have survived that date before 1694 according to my books. However, there is a possibility that notarial records which include marriage contracts, wills, land sales, etc. still exist. (They are deposited in the Departemental Archives of Moselle in Metz.) This research can be very time-consuming and a bit difficult because you must read through the records (they are organized chronologically by notary (unindexed) - there are tables that show which notaries served which towns), but it also can be very rewarding. You will need to go to Metz - a nice place - or hire a professional researcher in France.

Here is the website of the archive:

http://www.archives57.com/frontSite?controller=ViewPage&...

Bonne recherche !

Judy_Smalls (View posts)
Posted: 15 Aug 2010 4:26AM GMT
We actually have records before 1694, but have not yet been able to find Christophe's parents.

thiesenhusen4 (View posts)
Posted: 15 Aug 2010 10:12AM GMT
Hello.

I am extremely surprised by your statement.

According to the records of the Archives départementales de la Moselle, the city of Grostenquin only has parish records in their archive back to 1694. These are in cote 5 E 184/1, which includes the years 1694 to 1764, with records for 1701, and 1716 to 1736 missing; and in cote 5 E 184/2, which covers the years 1765 to 1791. This catalogue is the most recent available by Gilles Meyer and Line Skorka. It was published in 2008, with a republication earlier this year, in 2010. Here is the link to this information online:

Archives départementales de la Moselle:
http://www.archives57.com/frontSite?controller=ViewPage&...

I also checked the Family History Library in the United States. The parish records they have microfilmed in 1986 and 1988 cover these same years.

Family History Library Catalogue
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.a...

Perhaps you are referring to a book of transcriptions from records of Grostenquin published in 1984, by the Cercle généalogiques de Lorraine in Metz, compiled by Paulette Henriot, René Maire, and Genest Petry. They reportedly extracted some holdings in the town hall (« mairie ») that go to 1678. -- This book is at the Departemental Archives, Genealogy Circle of Lorraine, the Family History Library in the U.S., and other places, but it is not microfilmed.

If it is true that there are some parish records of this vintage at the town hall that are not in the departmental archive, this would be « highly » unusual for a tiny place that cannot have good preservation facilities (only 569 live in Grostenquin according to the last census).

What records do you « actually have » that these sources do not? Perhaps your records are for a different town? Please let me know.

Thank you for your reply.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions