Search for content in message boards

Moses family in Germany

Moses family in Germany

holliday074 (View posts)
Posted: 14 Oct 2008 12:06PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am trying to find a link to the Moses family in Germany.

We have traced the family back to Robert Moses in England
in the 1600's.

He came to the United States and once made a set of clothes
for General Washington.

My brother keeps telling me there is a link to Germany
and that they left the country due to persecution (???)
and went to Holland and to the US. I can find nothing to
verify any of this information.

Re: Moses family in Germany

maryjoorton (View posts)
Posted: 15 Oct 2008 4:04PM GMT
Hi--I see your post on wondering about Moses links to Germany--I am a Moses descendant and my family did come from Germany--I have traced back our history to 1727 to Allersburg, Prussia--later members of the family came from Heinrichs and Suhl, Germany. I do not know if they left due to persecution--I think my family came to the US to join family who might have been prospering more here than they might have in Germany. I don't believe they came to the states via Holland. If you want to converse or know more you can e-mail me here. Thank you.

Jana Lusk-Lancaster (View posts)
Posted: 29 Jul 2009 3:49AM GMT
I appear to be a Moses decendant from Germany also. I have just started this process and would like any information on the Moseses. My grandmother was a moses and lived in Plain Dealing Louisiana. Thanks in advance

maryjoorton (View posts)
Posted: 29 Jul 2009 4:20PM GMT
I hope I can help you in some way. Do you know where in Germany your Moses line comes from? My family comes from the Suhl/Heinriches area. It appears they were also a part of Prussia at one time in the 1700's to early 1800's. My line came to the South Dakota area in the states in the mid 1800's. My gr. greanddad married a woman in Germany and they came to SD, I believe, to follow her brothers who were doing well there. I do know my gr. gr. grandfather had some step siblings. It could be if your family is from the same area we may have a connection being distant cousins. Do you have a line started of family members--feel free to send it to me and I will see if there is a connection. I've not heard of any of my folks living in the Louisiana area but then again--if you came from one of the step siblings lines there is always a possibility. Feel free to write back!! I look forward to seeing if there's a relationship.

phyllisburns_1 (View posts)
Posted: 29 Jul 2009 6:33PM GMT
Surnames: Moses
Hi,

My family also originated in Germany through Johann Friedrich Moses, born 1690, in Evanglisch Ilbesheim Kirchheim, Bolanden, Bayern, Germany. His son, Johann Adam Moses came to the USA with his wife Maria Catherine Mueller, on 2 September 1743, on the Loyal Judith and landed in Philadelphia, PA. I don't believe he came because of any unrest.

mdtaffet (View posts)
Posted: 29 Jul 2009 7:02PM GMT
Surnames: Moses
Johann Adam Moses is also my immigrant ancestor. But there is at this time absolutely no evidence whatsover indicating who his parents might have been.

I do have indirect evidence stating that he was born in Holland, and we know from documentary evidence held by the archives (I forget the name of the city) that he was living in Ilbesheim by 1722 when he was confirmed. I also have indirect evidence, through the typical naming patterns for children, that his father was most likely named Johann Peter Moses.

So I really don't think there is any way to support connecting Adam to Johann Friedrich Moses.

-- Mary D. Taffet
Board and List Admin for MOSES

maryjoorton (View posts)
Posted: 29 Jul 2009 7:22PM GMT
I believe, Phyllis-that we've connected previously and I don't see a connection with my family altho the names are curiously similar. I'm not sure where the location is of the origin of your family so I'm not sure if it's close to my folks' origin. My line of origin begins with Blasius Moses (1727-1789) in Allersburg, Prussia. His wife was Anna Maria Herdegen and their son in my line was Joseph Jacob (1769-1830) married to Johanna Weiss. Their son was Johann Friederick Philip Moses (1821-1855) and his wife was Johanna Wilhelm and their son was Valentine Moses (1848-1904) married to Christina Wagner. My Joseph Jacob was married twice and had children with each spouse and so Johann had half siblings. From what I gather Johann F.P. and his wife died young leaving behind 2 fairly young children and I think they might have been raised by aunts and uncles. Valentine and his wife left Germany in the 1880's for South Dakota. If anyone has a connection to this feel free to contact me. I do have the names of the half siblings and the other wife of Joseph Jacob--just not at my fingers right this minute.

hettie47 (View posts)
Posted: 9 Aug 2009 7:07PM GMT
this may be my line of Moses. Do you have any information on the children of the one that settled in Chester, Pa. My line is Samuel F, Samuel H, Albert Watkins that came to Lunenburg County Virginia by way of Charlotte County, Virginia.

mdtaffet (View posts)
Posted: 9 Aug 2009 8:50PM GMT
Surnames: Moses, Phaeris, Ferris, Farris, Bradley, Mueller
Hello,

Samuel Ferris Moses was the son of Peter Moses and his first wife, Margaretha Phaeris (aka Margaret Ferris or Margaret Farris). Peter and his second wife Mary Bradley are my direct ancestors. Peter is the son of the immigrant (Johann) Adam Moses and his wife Maria Catherina Mueller. Take a look at the letter I have posted online which was written by Samuel F.'s son/Samuel H.'s brother Peter Allen Moses. It is available at http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~mdtaffet/M....

I have a private, password-protected website for descendants of this particular Moses line, as well as any other Moses family known to have a connection to Chester County, PA. Please contact me directly if you'd like to have access.

-- Mary D. Taffet
Board and List Admin for MOSES
mdtaffet@twcny.rr.com

MaryVirginiaM (View posts)
Posted: 15 Aug 2009 4:02PM GMT
Phyllis,
According to Family History Library Film #193913 "Evangelische Kirche Ilbesheim Kerchin Buch 1682-1824" the following births are recorded that may be of interest to you: 1714 (Dec) birth of Johan Jacob Vol--- one of the sponsors was Johan Fredrick Moses; 1716 (April 9) birth of Anna Margaretha Mosis, parents: Joh. Fredrick Mosis and Anna Xngl; 1718 (June 2) birth of Joh. Jacob Mosis, parents: Joh. Fredrick Mosis and Anna Engel; 1720 (April 10) birth of Maria Elizabethe Reinhardt, one of the sponsors was Fredrick Moses; 1760 (Aug 18) birth of Johan Fredrick Moses, parents Joh. Adam Moses and Anna Margaretha.

Deaths recorded in the same book include: Johan Fredrick Moses 18 Sept 1727 age 42y3m3d.(dob would be 15 June 1685)

Confirmations include: 1730 Johan Fredrick Moses.

There are no marriages recorded (that I found) for a Johan Fredrick Moses.

I have extracted all of the Moses, Mosis, Mosses (and similar variations) from this microfilm and will be happy to send you what I have. Be aware that the microfilm was dark and very difficult to read and it was written in Latin and some Old German, so there may be inexplicable errors in the translation.

Hope this helps,
MV Jacobs
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions