Search for content in message boards

Elijah Henry Hall of Pike County

Elijah Henry Hall of Pike County

KyGena (View posts)
Posted: 27 Jan 2005 7:59AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Hall
I have grown up hearing the story of my ancestor Henry Hall killing his brother in Pike county. I also have a name of Jenny or Ginnie Taylor as married to a Henry Hall. The article says Elijah Henry Hall was married to an Elizabeth Akers..could he have been married more than once? Any info greatly appreciated. My grandmother's name was Mattie Hall married to Rufford Hatton of Powell County and surrounding counties.

Re: Elijah Henry Hall of Pike County

Ona Scalf (View posts)
Posted: 28 Jan 2005 11:05AM GMT
Edited: 7 Jul 2005 9:54AM GMT
Elijah Henry Hall's son William "Gambling Bill" Hall was married to Virginia "Jenny' Taylor.

This is probably who you are referring to.

KyGena (View posts)
Posted: 28 Jan 2005 11:18AM GMT
Thank you for your reply Ona. I have talked with my father. "Gambling Bill" was my g grandfather..he was also known as "Black Cat" Hall because he always wore black. Heard there may be a Hall-Taylor reunion this year..have you heard anything about it?

Ona Scalf (View posts)
Posted: 28 Jan 2005 11:47AM GMT
I haven't heard anything, but I believe that they have a reunion every year.

KyGena (View posts)
Posted: 28 Jan 2005 11:57AM GMT
Thank you for being so kind in replying..I'm just getting started with this research. My Dad (Cecil Hatton) is very interested in what I can come up with. His Mom was Mattie Hall married to Ruford..did you know any of those hattons/halls?

Ona Scalf (View posts)
Posted: 28 Jan 2005 12:01PM GMT
I have Mattie Hall born about 1916 who had married Willie Garrett, Mattie listed as d/o Gambling Bill and Virginia Taylor...would this be who you are referring to?

KyGena (View posts)
Posted: 28 Jan 2005 12:13PM GMT
Yep. She's the d/o Gamblin Bill and Ginnie..but didn't know she was married before grandpa ruford..lol..Will call my dad later and ask him (or surprise him). Bill and Ginnie had one boy and 7 girls. Thank you for the information. Any other info you have would be greatly appreciated. Pleae feel free to email me. i've gotten as far back as Jesse and Candice Hall. I'm finding more on my grandmother's (hall) side than I am my dad's (hatton)..but i will keep looking.

Ona Scalf (View posts)
Posted: 28 Jan 2005 12:21PM GMT
I have their children listed as: Bessie, Viola "Ollie", Fairy, Buddy, Mary, Mattie, Maggie, and Edith.

Ona Scalf (View posts)
Posted: 28 Jan 2005 12:24PM GMT
Here's a couple of news articles that I've found on Elijah Henry Hall. I'm trying to find proof on his parentage. He somehow relates to one of my ancestors Lewis Hall, and I'm trying to find the common bond.

LAFAYETTE ADVERTISER
LAFAYETTE LOUISIANA
27 JUNE 1893

ISSUED THE DEATH WARRANT

The governor of Kentucky has issued the death warrant of HENRY HALL, of Pike County, Kentucky, directing the sheriff to hang him on 11 August 1893. He killed his brother.
------------------
MARION DAILY STAR
MARION OHIO
10 AUG 1893

Governor Brown of Kentucky has declined to commute the sentence of HENRY HALL, who killed his brother in a quarrel over a game of cards, and the murderer will be hanged at Pikeville next Friday.
--------------------------

KyGena (View posts)
Posted: 28 Jan 2005 12:26PM GMT
I have same list, except for Maggie..thank you so much..are you related?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions