Search for content in message boards

Thomas Landers/Mary Lake

Thomas Landers/Mary Lake

EvelynMurray2145 (View posts)
Posted: 26 Jan 2009 7:37PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Landers, Lake
I am looking for proof of the birth of Mary Lake, cited variously in RI and MA as 19 Apr 1738. Am also looking for a record of the marriage of Thomas and Mary, probably around Sharon CT. I have everything else in this long line of my paternal grandfather but am missing these two events. Any help would be much appreciated!

Re: Thomas Landers/Mary Lake

GautreauxS (View posts)
Posted: 28 Jan 2009 1:16AM GMT
I'm sorry I don't have a Thomas Landers.

MargaretGerdel63640 (View posts)
Posted: 29 Jan 2009 6:08PM GMT
Surnames: Landers, Lake, Markee, Fuller
I posted a reply, but do not see it in the string, so am posting it again and hope you receive it. I hope that the sources in my file for Mary Lake b. Apr 19, 1738 and Thomas Landers will help you. Please let me know if they do and also please share your information as they are in my direct lineage. These sources have been provided by other researchers. Please let me know if you find inaccuracies. Margaret

Lydia B. (Phinney) Brownson & Maclean W. McLean, Thomas Landers of Sandwich, Mass. (ca 1613-1675), New England Historical and Genealogical Register vol. 124, 1970, 222, QUAY 1. page 222

National Society of the D.A.R., Lineage Book, Vol. XLIV, 1917. #43993., QUAY 2

The Gray-Sthttp://worldconnect.genealogy.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?d... Family Home Page,

Ancestors of Elizabeth Anne & Abigail Gray Holschuh, www.familytreemaker.com/users/h/o/l/EB--Holschuh/index.html.

Kindred Konnections, www.kindredkonnections.com.

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Ancestral File (R), Copyright (c) 1987, June 1998, data as of 5 January 1998.

J. Kelsey Jones, Research of J. Kelsey Jones, unpublished.

DAR Application, 786653, QUAY 2 is listed for their son Ebenezer Landers b. 08 Nov 1758.

Posted: 29 Jan 2009 8:26PM GMT
Surnames: Landers/Lake
Thanks for your response. What I really need is a proof of Mary Lake's birth. I can trace her family through her father's ancestors, and I can trace Thomas Landers' family as they move through Massachusetts into western CT. I believe that she is born in Rochester MA, but no town record exists. I presume her marriage took place in either Sharon or Warren CT but can't find that either (ca 1757).
Does any of this look familiar? The only person I can't reach is J. Kelsey Jones - his 2003 e-mail address is not the right one, although if he is still alive, there is a listing for him in Pine City NY.
I'd appreciate you sharing your thoughts on this. Thanks.

Posted: 30 Jan 2009 6:14PM GMT
Surnames: Landers, Markee, Lake, Fuller
My records show she was married at East Greenwich, Fairfield, CT about 1757, not Sharon or Warren Ct. Of course my records could be wrong. I will continue to research our Lake family and will keep in touch if I find proof of her birth. By the way, I cannot prove Landers fought in the Amer. Revolution for the DAR. I am having to use another family, the Markees who married into the Landers. Have you any information on the Landers fighting in the revolution. Margaret

Posted: 4 Feb 2009 12:27AM GMT
I'll try to explain the difference in the names of the location. Warren, formerly a part of Kent, was settled about 1737. The parish of East Greenwich was organized in 1750. Warren was incorporated as a town in 1786. I have followed Thomas Landers' family very closely from Rochester MA to Sharon CT. In 1757 he reportedly went to Warren. There is a Congregational Church there which originally was the "East Greenwich Society of Kent" by division of "The First Society" They have baptism and marriage records - how far back I do not know but will find out. I know Mary Lake's family ended up in Pawling in Dutchess County. I'll keep researching and post here anything I can find.

Posted: 5 Feb 2009 3:42PM GMT
Evelyn, thanks for your information. It is funny to see how town's names and sometimes locations have changed thru history. A town where some family members lived in the 1800's not only changed its name, but moved across the river to higher grownd, which also changed the county. It sure can be confusing when looking back at our families. Margaret

evelynmurray39 (View posts)
Posted: 7 Feb 2009 5:23PM GMT
Surnames: Landers/Lake
I forgot to respond to your question about Revolutionary War service. In the Register article it says, "In 177 Thomas Landers served briefly as a private in the Revolution, going from Lenox on an alarm in a company of men raised in Berkshire County by Capt. Ezra Whittelsey ..."
Note the different spellings of the name and a reference to the D.A.R. Lineage Book 123:2, 64, (1916). I have never investigated this as I have never tried to join the DAR. I have several other relatives under whom I would qualify. What have you searched to try to find his service?

Posted: 13 Feb 2009 8:30PM GMT
Surnames: Gallop m. to Williams, Williams m. landers, and Fuller m. Landers
I know this is a long and round about answer to your question re my landers research in Am. revolution. As you can see By my direct lineage below, the Thomas Landers who fought in the war and is a proven fact is a many times uncle. Samuel Landers (SAME FAMILY) is my direct Landers from that war. The Facts I cited below his name came from another researcher. I contacted the CT Historical Society Library and they cannot authenticate these facts. They might be true, tho, they just don't know. It is proven that he fought in the French and Indian War. So I am still researching. Another reason I am sending so much info is in the hope that other researchers can help me with my Samuel Landers research.

Ancestors of Mary Edna Landers
Mary Edna Landers born 06 Apr 1898 in Evansville, Perry CO, IN; died 01 Jul 1991 Lincoln CO, MO. She was the daughter of William Henry Landers and Indiana (Annie) Hannah Markee
William Henry Landers born 13 Apr 1870 in Crawford County, IN; died 26 Nov 1933 in Malden, Dunklin, MO. He was the son of George Washington Landers and Mary J. Blood.
George Washington Landers born Jan 1840 in Jennings, Crawford CO, IN; died 28 Feb 1904 in Perry County, IN. He was the son of L. Marvin Landers/Landrus and Alse Williams.
L. Marvin Landers/Landrus born 1815 in Bradford CO, PA; died 09 Aug 1865 in Green Lake, TX while serving in the Civil War. He was the son of Rev. Samuel Landers and Mercy Smith.
Rev. Samuel Landers born 13 Jul 1797 in Williamstown, Berkshire CO, MA; died 10 Mar 1880 in Cumberland Co., IL. He was the son of Lemuel S. Landers and Martha Williams dau. of Nehemiah Williams.
Lemuel S. Landers born 06 Jun 1773 in Wethersfield, Hartford CO, CT; died 10 Mar 1880 in Smithfield Tnshp, Bradford CO, PA. He was the son of Samuel Landers and Sarah Fuller. He married Martha Williams 1792 in Williamstown, Berkshire Co., MA.
Martha Williams born 1759 in Plainfield, Windham County, Ct; died Abt. 1810 in Smithfield Tnshp, Bradford CO, PA. She was the daughter of Nehemiah Williams and Elizabeth Elsie Gallup.
Samuel Landers born 1740 in Connecticut; died Aft. 1781. He was the son of Ebenezer Landers and Content Dexter. He married Sarah Fuller 11 Jul 1764 in Farmington, CT.
Sarah Fuller (descendent of Mayflower Fuller family), born 1742 in Colchester, New London, CT; died 18 Sep 1787 in Williamstown, MA. She was the daughter of John Fuller and Sarah Clothier.

Notes for Samuel Landers: (UNPROVEN FACTS)
The list of men who enlisted in the Revolutionary War, Col. Hungtington, 17th Regiment New York, Co. Y also included Abner Fuller, Lemuel Fuller, Benjamin Fuller. This is per "Collections of the Connecticul Historical Society" Vol. V111. Vol. X has him in the French and Indian War also. "Families of Ancient Wethersfield Connecticul" by Henry R. Stiles also list Samuel and his family.
Per Ancestry.com, the Connecticut Soldiers, French and Indian War, 1755-62 has Samuel Landers in the First Regiment under Lyman, Phineas Major-General, Fourth Company, Co-Command Patterson, John Captain in 1762. Source List: Pay roll.

Ebenezer Landers born 13 Mar 1700 in Sandwich, Barnstable, Mass.; died 02 May 1731. He was the son of John Landers and Rachel Freeman. He married Content Dexter 13 Sep 1725.
John Landers born 02 Jan 1654 in Sandwich, Barnstable, Mass.; died 04 Mar 1739 in Sandwich, Barnstable, Mass. He was the son of Thomas Lynn Landers and Jane Kirby. He married Rachel Freeman 1686 in Sandwich, Barnstable, Mass.
Rachel Freeman born 04 Sep 1659 in Sandwich, Barnstable, MA died 07 Oct 1709 in Sandwich, Barnstable, MA. She was the daughter of Edmund Freeman and Margaret Perry.
Thomas Lynn Landers born 1613 in Sussex, Eng.; died 11 Nov 1675 in Sandwich, Barnstable, MA. He married Jane Kirby 02 Jul 1650 in Sandwich, Barnstable, Mass.
Jane Kirby born Abt. 1634 in Sandwich, Barnstable Co., MA; died 21 Jul 1707 in Sandwich, Barnstable, MA. She was the daughter of Richard Kirby and Jane.

thanks for all your help. MARGARET

evelynmurray39 (View posts)
Posted: 18 Feb 2009 8:31PM GMT
Thanks for the info about your line. I guess I just assumed you were directly descended from Thomas. I just got back from a trip - I'll see what I have in a short while. Evelyn
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions